Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Good stuff. Pours to a creamy white head and orangey color. Aroma is hop-dominated with a good deal of pale maltiness shining through. Flavor is bittersweet, quite well-balanced for an American IPA, strong bitterness with a sweet malt backbone holding it up. Very pleasant IPA aftertaste and mouthfeel. Wow. I bought this not knowing it was an IPA (I had bought Pyramid IPA to serve at the Xmas party along with this beer, Czechvar and my homebrewed stout). It is excellent. It has the right balance of slightly toasty-caramel maltiness and the generous bitterness, flavor and aroma of the finest U.S. ale hops. Worth the extra money. A sixpack of Celebration Ale costs over $9 in OK and I consider it more worth the expense than the $7.50 for any Pyramid beer, incuding the IPA!

EagleTalon, Dec 20, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a beautiful medium amber with a huge head and great lace. Smell of fruity citrusy hops. Great floral hoppiness. Taste of fruity hoppiness with a nice amount of bitternes. Not too bitter though. A great example of an American IPA. No detection of the 7% alcohol anywhere. Its mouthfeel is very nice. Not too light or too heavy. Its drinkability is only slightly above average because I just can't drink a bunch of IPA's in a row. I enjoy them very much, just not a bunch at once. I will savor the other 5 of these through the holiday season.

sabrills70, Dec 19, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Bought a single of this at the local beer store for $1.59. An excellent beer for anytime, not just the holidays. Probably the best IPA I've had in my relatively limited experience (though I have a Dogfish 90 Minute waiting for me in the fridge). Nothing special about the appearance, typical light brown color with nice, lasting head and ok lacing. Smell is very fruity - I can't place a finger on which particular fruit though. Something citrusy, like lemon or grapefruit even. Man, this is a hoppy beer. Might be too bitter for some, but I love me some hops. Drinkability is way up there...despite the 7% ABV I feel like I could easily make this a "session" beer. Overall quite impressed and pleasantly surprised, as I'm actually not a huge fan of the other Sierra Nevada products I've tried.

PossumJenkins, Dec 18, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Nearly 7% alcohol?! Bullshit. Where's it hiding? I drank this one at room temp. Pours a wonderful clear amber color with a crazy amount of head. I'm immediately smaked upon the nose with the wonderful cascade hop. Smells delicious. This beer starts of with a citrusy aroma, but it ends with a grassy, hoppy bitter chinook bite. After a couple of sips I can pick up some of the grassyness in the aroma. There's just so much going on with this beer. Such complex hoppyness, and dry as a bone. Nothing sweet here. This is one of the most delicious beers I've ever tasted. I have five more of these to drink! I doubt I'll refridgerate any of them.

moocey, Dec 17, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured a nice orange to reddish amber color. Great carbonation level and some nice lacing on down the glass. Wonderful hop aroma-very citrusy. Doesnt scream at you like some US IPAs. Fantastic malty flavor with a huge rush of hops. Lemony,grapefruit like-a real pucker upper!!! Great silky smooth body helps to somewhat subdue the hops. A killer beer every year. This is one that doesnt seem to change year after year when released. Definately a classic.

Note-Sampled a 2000 vintage bottle earlier this week. While the hops had dimished it was definately showing its age. Not unpleasant but was past its prime for sure. Had a slightly "off" flavor. I wouldnt call it rancid but it was off to be sure. If youre cellaring this one Id suggest diving in. Malt flavor and body were there-just had an untangible element to it.

lackenhauser, Dec 17, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a nice amber and has a big off white head that leaves gobs of sticky lace. The hops attack the nose as soon as the glass gets anywhere near my nose. Very nice! They are very up-front in the flavor as well and they are a nice floral assault on the tongue. This is a very good American IPA. It is quite drinkable. I would like to try it on tap sometime.

RushLimbmalt, Dec 12, 2004
3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Don't get me wrong, I love this beer. I just feel like 2004's release has been completely hit or miss: the first batch I had was astonishingly perfumed grapefruit, the second was on par with Ruination's sheer bitterness, and now on-tap i've got a totally different animal. Seems completely out of line with the Sierra Nevada ethos.

A dry, stale Chinook overloaded let down. Got absolutely blown out of the water by a semi-fresh keg of Stone IPA.

For a brewery that prides itself on uniformity, this year's celebration is surely not worth celebrating over. Lets hope the Bigfoot is much better.

GreenWBush, Dec 11, 2004
4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a rich reddish copper with a very nice pale head
Smell: Spicey cloves with a citrous accent
Taste: Initial hop blast, grapefruit, not much discernable malt sweetness
Mouthfeel: Dry, with good carbonation
Drinkability: Outstanding

This is one of the best brews I have ever had the plesure of quaffing. First impression was a little dry for my taste, but by the end of the glass I was hooked. I've come to know this as a great sessionbeer,but the 6.8% ABV will ensnare the unknowing or the unwary. A truly great beer.

gimmehead, Dec 11, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From bottle to pint glass
Appearance: A moderately vigorous pour yielded a substantial, lasting, pale khaki head. The beer itself looks allright, and is a reddish gold, but there is rather a lot of sediment in there.
Smell: Citrusy hops here, with sweet malt to back it up. Great aroma to this beer.
Taste: Hops are of course the most assertive flavor here, hitting you right up front. Bitter grapefruit primarily, and a little bit of oak in there too, towards the end. The malt is present, and does a good job of providing some depth and balance to the hops, but they dont really try to compete. Bitterness stays for a while after you've finished each sip. Delicious.
Mouthfeel: Full and oily, but the sharpness of the carbonation seems to power the oil away. Actually rather refreshing.
Drinkability: I don't think that I could ever tire of this beer. Truly fantastic, and it leaves me wanting another.

Erix, Dec 10, 2004
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours with a rich, reddish hue and one inch head that doesn't quickly dissapate. In other words, it is a beautiful beer. The smell is dominated by hops and illicits a piney reaction. Here comes the hops. This is a highly hop dominated beer, but at the same time it is balanced. It has a malt finish that raises its mouthfeel. I could drink it all night.

swamiswamu, Dec 10, 2004
4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013:
This was the first aggressively citrusy hoppy beer I ever had. It was one of--maybe THE--first aggressively citrusy hoppy beers. And it's still perfect. Right now, the best hoppy beers (like Kern River or Heady) taste like Snickers bars. This is not that intense. But it's still great enough to have invented an entire style, and you have no right to call yourself a BA if you don't give it its due.

2004:
Very red, pretty color. Excellent head that refuses to die. Great lacing.

It smells like sweet caramel and hops. There's a bit of a spicy smell that falls somewhere between cloves and nutmeg.

Tastes like hops upfront with warmer spices, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, pumpkin pie. More hops in the back, sweeter than the front, but still bitter, and with more spice. The aftertaste is bitter hops with sour leanings, kind of like an orange rind dipped in cloves.

What can I say? This beer lives up to the hype. Too bad the only store near me fucking gouges on the price ($11.00 for a sixer!!!) or I'd probably buy a case to enjoy until next year.

mynie, Dec 09, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours into the glass a magnificent appearance. Cherry amber, a thick light beige colored head, and lots of lacing. Hoppy aroma with some vague spicing. Dry on the tongue. This is a very interesting IPA. Hops cover up any malt to my taste. Very crisp finish makes for a most drinkable winter style ale.Sierra Nevada has brewed a fine one here

Winter 2004 edition: Just about a perfect pour, with an actively carbonated, bronze amber body topped by a one finger offwhite head that hangs around like a new kitten that's starved for attention. Massive sheet and patch lace decorate the glass.
Aroma has an ideal balance of caramel and toffee malt and grapefruit and orange citrusy hops.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with perfect carbonation.
Taste mirrors the aroma, with an ideal blend of citrusy, westcoast hops and caramel and toffee malts. The hops lend a touch of wintry pine cone, as well. Crisp on the finish, with a nice hoppy aftertaste. An American IPA that purrs on all cylinders.
Drinkability: I know some people that are cellaring this one until 2005, and beyond. Having enjoyed a couple bottles of the 04, I doubt that I could avoid the temptation of making nightly visits to the cellar.

merlin48, Dec 06, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Honey clear out the garage Celebration is out again, this is the stock up the house beer. I wish they sold this year round so I don't have to find spots around the house to shelf it. Pours a nice amber with golden streaks, the head is white with tan streaks. The smell is of sweet caramel and nutmeg malts with sweet sour hoppy citrus. The combo of smells is outrageous. The taste is indescribable, you can only taste it yourself, right in the middle of barleywine and IPA. A smooth robust will warm you up during the holidays but also refresh in the summer months. Solid.

beertaster13, Dec 05, 2004
3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Gave thanks to various deities with this one on 12/4/2004. 16-oz. angled shaker pour at the Sunset.

Initial head of ½ inch fluff that is creamy in appearance with some larger stuff going on at the outer edges. Celebratory hop front on nose with just a jack of candy cane sweetness flitting about aimlessly in the eaves. Gaudschalk frizziness of hop that almost stings on the tongue and back of throat and simply engulfs any washing holiday spices that I think must be hidden in there, somewhere. Really seems like this could do with some more mellowing; an oddly low-tide mud flat finishing to the pour brings the party down to a murmur for me.

Truh, Dec 04, 2004
2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

The ale poured a beautiful bronze with a georgeous rocky white head. The aroma was essentially of hops very floral. The taste was really pretty one dimensional it was sharp and hoppy and nothing else. The body was medium dry finish. This beer was a real disappointment. I was expecting something complex and maybe spicy instead I got nothing but hops. It was also very unpleasant to drink with chilli.

claytri, Dec 04, 2004
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: 2004, Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Color is golden amber with an off white head. It has a nice fluggy head with great retention and lacing on the side of the glass as the beer is consumed.

Smell: Sweet hoppy floral nose. I had no idea this was supposed to be an IPA, but as soon as I smell it, it was clear that this was an IPA in very true California style.

Taste: Very sweet with a clean hoppy flavor up front. Notes of cinnamon, clove, fruity esters, and a hop bitterness lingering at the end.

Mouthfeel: It's medium bodied and smooth on the palate without any uncomfortable stickiness.

Drinkability: Easily one of the best Christmas releases I've had. I will gladly enjoy this again.

BrewMaster, Dec 03, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

After my unpleasant experience with Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Ale, I've been reluctant to get back on their horse for quite a while. However, my friend the bartender :) and fellow BeerAdvocate suggested this and highly recommended it. Well, why not?

Pulled (by hand) a beautiful dark golden honey colored brew with a big, creamy, fluffy tan head and wonderful lace.
Smell is mostly hops with undefineable fruit, spices and malt all in the background. Well, an IPA is expected to be heavy on the hops.
Taste is, of course, hoppy with spice, malt, fruit, bread and alcohol also showing up for the party.
Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, very unexpected and welcomed. Warms the throat all the way down.
Drinkability is good. A nice brew especially on a cool Florida winters' night. All things considered, I'll be riding the Sierra Nevada horses a little more often now. I guess Bigfoot was just an ornery old mule.

PorterLambic, Dec 03, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Gorgeous amber with a massive, fluffy head that looks like egg-whites beaten to stiff peaks. Smell is practically all hops... first some grapefruit/citrus aromas and then lots and lots of spruce. Just a hint of honey in there. Tastes exactly how it smells. Spruce flavors dominate, a bit of citrus, and an extremely mouth-drying, extremely bitter finish. Mouth is smooth and slightly creamy with light carbonation. One for the hop heads.

oxmasterscream, Dec 02, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my all-time fav session beer. Too bad it only comes out in the winter. It isn't quite a winter brew in the typical sense, but its mighty tasty none the less. Its about time I got around to reviewing this one.

Pours a redish, caramel color with about a one finger off white head which disappears into a slight coating on the surface. Aroma is a very aromatic blend of flowery hops. Just from the smell one can tell this is going to be a hoppy brew. Taste is very sharp and pungent. The immediate hit of hops is very pleasing, and quite balanced in flavor. I don't pick up much of any one hop in this beer, but there is an overall piney flavor. I think the carbonation really helps how sharp this beer comes off. Mouth feel is a little above average, a bit thin but the flavor still lingers for a bit.

Drinkability is what this beer is about. The hoppiness doesn't overpower at all. Like I said above...my all-time fav for a great session brew.

blitz134, Dec 02, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

I've bought at least a case of SNCA every year since 1993 and consider it one of my all time favorites. A truly legendary beer. I know at least a dozen people who independently have told me it is their favorite beer.
Although a seasonal, served at pubs starting every November, there is no spice added. It is purely malt and hops, or rather hops, hops, malt and more hops. The predominant hop is Cascade, but it is dry-hopped with Centennial. When a bottle in uncapped, you can smell the hops across the room. The hoppiness pervades throughout, from the bittering, to the flavor, and on into the aroma and the extensive length. Then aftertaste has you puckering, but the malt sweetness in the next mouthfull, starts you off the at the other end of the scale, circles you through the spectrum, over and over again. Although a consistent 6.8% ABV, and quite bitter, it's easy to pop open another, or to drink by the pitcher in draft form.
As an example of an American IPA, it is the standard.
The color is dark copper with a frothy head that generously laces your glass in a series of parallel lines all the way down. Islands of "dirty" hops float on top of the liquid, sparking daydreams as you savor the excellence of the beer known as Celebration.

farHillsBrewer, Dec 02, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a murky amber color. Very odd head that leaves almost no lace. Smells much the same as SNPA, but amplified, mostly pine and tropical fruit. Taste as well is similar to SNPA, but more malt and hops.

Overall, this is a very nice IPA. Perhaps a bit "raw" right now, but still very tasty. I wish it were available year round.

skybluewater, Nov 30, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Every year I look forward to trying Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. This beer is now so legendary as a seasonal offering that you have dozens of other microbreweries and brewpubs across the nation offering a similar winter seasonal. And remember, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

The beer poured a deep amber color. As usual for Sierra Nevada, the head retention was excellent.

The aroma was a mix of spicy hops and caramel. The type of rich malt base in the aroma was a preclude of what was to come... which is usually a full-bodied sweetness.

And it came. A remarkable balance earns this beer top honors in taste.

All in all, a very drinkable brew. I think I'll buy another six pack soon.

Sixpoint, Nov 28, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

11/25/04: Que Paso? Drinkability? Ever had spruce tea? Was I stoned down there in 2003 or am I stoned now?

01/12/03: It's beauty is in its drinkability. I find it difficult to believe that Sierra Nevada keeps this brew seasonal. Heady copper. Citrus leaf and roasted nut nose. Exceptionally balanced through a draught and every sip puts the pressure on to sip anew.

inebrius, Nov 25, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 bottle.at 5.99 a sixer not a bad buy poured a copper red. with a light tan head. aroma hops, malts, pine, citrus, some yeast. flavor, citrus, hops, pine, nice clean taste and finish. will get more of this was told that this ages well. bieristgut said he has a 2003 that we can compare.

walleye, Nov 25, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance - Thick tan head forms on the pour. Color is reddish amber. There is a slight suspended haze in the beer which looks likle it could be yeast and/or spices. There is also a bit of yeast left over in the bottle.

Smell - There is a strong hop nose on this beer. Malt aroma is also present, but is not as strong. This seems appropriate to the style.

Taste - This is a delightful mix of hop bitterness, malt, and spice. the hops really stand out more than anything else, and the spicy flavors are very subtle. Maybe the "spice" is really the complexity of the hops. Hop bittness lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - This beer has a pretty thick and chewy mouthfeel. for something sold as a holiday beer, this is a good thing.

Drinkability - The taste and aroma of the beer are so inviting that it is difficult to put down. It is a bit on the heavy side, but I'd like another!

Comments - This really is an ale worth celebrating. The aroma combined with the taste of this beer makes it really outstanding.

mgdeth, Nov 25, 2004
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.