Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,349 | Hads: 9,609
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A greeat beer year after year. 2014 is no different. A lot of hops and flavor, citrus but not sweet, spice but not peppery, bitter but not dry. A great combination worth coming back to year after year.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Oh, this really is exquisite. Reviewing this live, although I'm off to a late start with the glass halfway gone!

Pours a rich, melodious amber body with a frothy, creamy butter-colored head about four fingers thick. Screwed up the pour, but what can you do?

Smells floral, fruity, a little like jam croissant. Really impressed here, there are a lot of different scents here but unlike a lot of complex beers I've had the scents are very integrated, part of a cohesive whole instead of being a sequence of complimentary but disparate components.

Tastes a lot like it smells, but with a deep draw of malty, bready delightfulness. Hops come in briefly at the start and end, bitter and just right. Almost tastes like honey for a moment, and then it's gone. Need another sip.

Mouthfeel is similarly impressive. Carbonated to a crisp but defined perfection, it manages to prickle the tongue without being fizzy and manages not to be fizzy while not being flat. Just a hair more carbonated than a lot of cask ales I've tried.

Overall, this is a great beer. Definitely in my top five, and I'll be sorry when it's gone for the year!

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This beer is my all time favorate seasonal i absolutly love it. pored into pint glass.

Appearence - Pours a beautiful orage amber with yeast particles present makes for a cloudy wonderland. Nice hoppy head with amazing retention on the glass.

Smell - Celebration smells very toasy to me hops are apparent but not overwhelming.

Taste - An amazing IPA indeed gets better as it warms a little. Has citrus tones and a perfect hops combination for an amzing palate dance. Also not crazy crazy bitter like some IPA brews can be, amazing to pair with Thai food.

Mouthfeel - The bottle conditioning sierra nevada uses rocks makes for a perfect active carbonation that feels nice as well.

Drinkability - Wow easy to drink but sneaks up behind you and stabs you. just like their torpedo this IPA is absolutly nothing far from amazing to me. I hate winter but when the celebration ale is gone im always dreaming of a snowy night...

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This is my first review of this beer, but I have had several of them this winter season. They are too good.

Pours a hazy amber color that is not really transparent. The hops only have a slight citrus flavor to them, but they are well-balanced in the beer. The bottle says that this is a fresh hop beer. I get that taste from it, though I have no idea what that means. This is easily one of the best IPAs I have ever had, and it does not just fall into the obscurity of "pretty good" IPAs that I have had but could easily forget about it. After this beer goes off the shelves, it will be in the back of mind until next season when it is available again.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Golden amber with a thick amber head. There was a big pile of foam lingering long after I finished the beer. The head itself had more flavor than some beers I've had.
The smell is that of hops, mostly grapefruit peel.
Wonderful IPA, I could drink a gallon of this stuff...well, I'd like to be able to at least.
Celebration is deserving of an outstanding rating and at $7 for a six pack is one of the best deals in town.

4.84/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a bottle into a New belgum ballon glass.

A-Slightly hazy copper color nice low head that laces well as you drink it.

S-Classic IPA with notes of spices, one of the best smelling beers ever, SN does hops so well.

T-As a hop head that enjoys the winter warmers this is heavenly for me. Amazing hop charecter IPA calssic flavors all here and a nice warming smpice middle that blends well with the IPA finish.

M-Nice medium body, very complex and well balanced.

D-I could drink this all year.

4.84/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Weyerbacher pint glass.

A - Nice bronze/red color with a thin layer of white head. A bit hazy.

S - Florally, fruity hops. Smells like a great IPA.

T - Absolutely delicious. Very hoppy with a bit of sweetness. Fruity, bitter hops dominate this one.

M - A bit full and medium carbonation. Very drinkable.

This is a very drinkable, hoppy beer. This is one of my favorites and I look forward to it every year. It is very well balanced and absolutely delicious. One of the best IPAs around.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Ah, it is that time of year again. Actually, it is a little early, but screw it, I want me some Celebration.

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Rich reddish-amber with large creamy head and very nice lacing rings.

Smell: Citrus, grapefruit, pine, spice and semi-sweet toasted malts.

Taste: Perfect balance of pungent hops (grapefruit and pine predominately) and slightly sweet toasted malts that are reminiscent of a Red Ale. Turns bitter and spicy at the end.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, smooth medium body with a long dry finish.

Drinkability: My favorite IPA, although Stone and Two Hearted are damn close. Even though the balance is superb and it is immensely drinkable, I just can't quite give any IPA a 5 on drinkability due to the bitterness.

Edit from 2010 release: this does deserve a 5 on drinkability.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Rich amber with some red in it. Heads up very nicely, and the lacing is extraordinary.

S - You know that feeling you had as a child before opening presents on Christmas morning? I reach that pinnacle of giddiness the first time every November that I let SN Celebration Ale's piny, spicy, hopped-up bouquet reach my nostrils.

T - Hops hit the back of my tongue almost instantly, but there's enough malt to almost balance them out, at least for a third of a second (and different years have produced slight differences in malt prevalence, in my opinion). Cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg beg to be noticed among the excesses of grapefruit and pine, but they're quickly shoved out of the picture. This is a hop bomb, yet it doesn't feel as one-dimensional as it may sound. Finishes with sugary, malty goodness combined with a stunningly lingering bitterness.

M - Excellent consistency with near perfect carbonation level for the style.

D - The intense bitterness and moderate alcohol level may turn off some from sessioning, but this is as good a candidate as any holiday beer. Despite the overwhelming hop presence, this beer is balanced just enough by the sweetness of the malts to make opening a second one a foregone conclusion.

This beer is absolutely outstanding and is something which I look forward to on an annual basis. Cracking open the first of the season subconsciously flips my mind into full-on holiday excitement mode, and the next 23 or so help me to maintain my sanity over the subsequent weeks. I've had so many great brews over the years (and in the past month, for that matter) that this may sound hyperbolic, but Celebration Ale may just be my desert island choice. Highly, fanatically recommended!

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

I was very surprised to find this on tap at the Marriott Newport RI hotel bar. I had asked if they had SNPA and they didn't. (What a great substitute!!) The bartender was a proud hop-head and is a lot more knowledgeable about beer than I am. A great chat as well as a surprise encounter with a familiar, top-notch beer. I didn't notice much difference between the draft and bottled versions. Bars are dark so my 56 year-old eyes didn't get to enjoy the apprearance as much as I do at home. The aroma, taste and mouthfeel are exactly the same as I encountered in my review of the bottled version. While I gave them the same numeric grades, I might hedge the comment I made about this being an outstanding session beer. A few of these and the "session" would definitely be effected!!!

2012 bottle

First time I had one (this year :))

Poured from bottle into Sam Adam perfect pint.

Pours a deep Carmel-orange w tons of head great lacing and good head retention as you sip it (or chug it or guzzle it). It smells of Christmas trees and baked cookies. It's very hop forward w piney piney hops at first then sweet caramel and toasted bread before the citrusy hops come in to close the sweet deal w a nice citrusy bitter finish that lingers. This brew is easy to drink w a slick yet sticky lip smacking mouthfeel. I look forward to drinking this beer every year and it never disappoints. One of the best IPAs you can get anywhere and top notch seasonal release I always seek out.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

(originally reviewed on 1-5-07)

Beautiful ruby/grapefruit juice red with a nice thick and frothy head.

Delicious hops are there, but what really surprised me about this beer was the really delectable aromas of malts. Such a rich and balanced smell.

Taste & Mouthfeel
This is up there with some of the most impressive and tasty beers from the get-go. It has a luscious full-bodied mouthfeel without being too heavy, and it also has a perfect level of carbonation. The hops are really present and in a great way, but the malts are also coming through balancing the whole thing out exceptionally. Again, I'm very surprised and pleased by the malt side of this beer.

This beer really made an impression on me and it far exceeded the hype. If it weren't for the semi-high ABV, I would have easily put three away the first night I had this. I'm really, really pleased with this and will certainly buy it every season from now on.

2007 Version

It's still such a good beer, but I liked the 2006 version better. And that's strange because 2006 was considered by many to be an off year. But I think it had a better malt profile to it than the '07's. Still a very drinkable and well crafted IPA.

2003 Celebration
I bought this case before Christmas and let this bottle sit a few months until ready posts about how the hops fade. I didn't want that to happen to my precious.

Pours a beautifully rich amber color with a huge fluffy head and even prettier lacing. Smells a very floral aroma and hints of citrus.
The taste is even better then I remember with a great big bite of hops and a creamy malt character. Notes of caramel and a slight pine taste. This truley is a taste explosion! One of the reasons I look forward to the holiday season. It doesn't get much better than this.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

2002 batch. Just purchased within the last week, so there was no aging done on my part.

Appearance: This beer was a slightly hazey, brown-to-copper color. It was not too light or too dark. The light tan head rose up huge (probably due to my clumsy, neanderthal-like pour) and sank down slowly, becoming rocky as it did so. There was a thin layer that persisted the entire drink. This beer left a huge amount of lace. Sometimes there were even big ol' chunks of head stuck to the sides of the glass. Good stuff.

Smell: Hops, hops, and more hops! Right after the pour, that was all I could detect in the aroma. After the beer settled down, I could pick out mild citrus notes and some caramel and malt.

Mouthfeel: This brew was much smoother than I expected. It had a big, full feel that was almost silky. This could also be partially attributed to my initial clumsiness on pouring, however.

Taste: Hop, hops, and more hops! (Deja vu, eh?) This beer had a huge hop flavor that was terrific. There were also notes of citrus and flowers, though those can be attributed to the hops as well. Some malt flavors were present, but there had to be much more than I noticed to balance out this beer. Overall, very refreshing and delicious.

As a hop head, I loved this beer. The balance might be swung to the hoppy side in this brew, but it does not make the beer harsh or unpleasant. It is almost like the malt/hops ratio is just on the edge of being *too* hoppy.

UPDATE, 08/05/2003

After a number of months in the bottle, this beer has mellowed somewhat. The hops has lost some of its edge and the brew has become more malty, gaining more caramel tones and a very noticeable butter component. This hasn't happended with all bottles, though. (I've burned through about 5 cases of the 2002 release.) Some are still pretty damn hoppy. Still, an absolutely wonderful beer. My supply for the year is almost exhausted, so I am eagerly anticipating the 2003 release.

UPDATE, 11/10/2004

The 2003 release of this beer was great, and the newly arrived 2004 is spectacular. I have to bump my ratings for this beer even higher this year. This is the most consistently beautiful, and almost perfect, beer that I have ever had. To have something of this high caliber in large quantities at a reasonable price is truly amazing.

Appearance wise, I've decided that this beer is perfect. The color, the light haze, the beautiful sticky head, and the incredible amounts of lace that are left behind make this beer look like it should be on the cover of every beer related publication ever produced.

I've also decided that the flavor is perfect also. Well, at least for me it is.

Drinkabily will also get bumped to a five because this is my staple beer when it is available. I will put away cases of this stuff and still yearn for more. When it is gone, I am immediately anticipating next years release.

This has to beer my favorite beer of all time.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Presentation: 12 oz short brown bottle, no bottling date but the year "2006" was part of the label design so we'll leave it at that, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful clear copper color. The head formed a perfect 2 fingers and faded very slowly into a thin layer that never dissipated any further.

Aroma: Very hoppy.

Taste: Like the aroma, very hoppy. There's some sweet maltiness in the background, but it's barely noticeable. Besides that this one is all hops through and through, from beginning to end. The finish is very hoppy and bitter, leaving one with the desire for more.

Mouthfeel: Despite the strong tastes and relatively high ABV, it's very smooth. The carbonation is well balanced as well.

Overall: As IPA's go, it's tough to imagine it can get any better than this. I used to wonder why it was that everyone would rush out and buy case upon case of this stuff when it was released. Now I understand.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A-- Beautiful deep coppery color. full head and nice lacing on the glass

S-- Crisp hoppy aroma, very nice

T-- Delicious, complex. Strong hop flavor. Not exactly balanced, but enough malt character to hold the thing together.

M-- Light, smooth

O-- Fantastic beer. One of my favorites.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

2008 edition 12oz into celebration ale pint glass...

A: Deep amber. Soft pour. Almost no head. Great lacing.

S: Lots of hops, yummy citrus and yellow pine needles.

T: People say they notice diferences in this brew's taste every year.I've only been drinking this one since the 2006 edition and it always has tasted uniform. I wait with baited breath every year for this gem to hit the shelves. Sometimes I can't wait and head to liquor wherehouse where they age them all the way back from '98 or so.(hope I diden't let a cat out of the bag!)

M: Just damn smooth, you cant go wrong with celebration!

D: Great winter session beer. Can't wait to find a great sale (like 9.99 a 12pack) and stock up the spare room!!

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

I seem to remember this beer being called Celebration Ale in years past, now it's called Celebration IPA, and hey, IPAs are all the rage, so why not call it that? But on to the taste and stuff...

*Taste - The flavor of this beer is primo, superb, deluxe, fasmatasmic - or some other word that is better than good. Seriously. One of my favorites. In a blind taste test, I don't know that I would know that this is an IPA. Normally with an IPA, (a good IPA) I am punched in the face with pine or floral citrus (and I don't mean that in a bad way). This here ale is the perfect balance that makes it almost unrecognizable in the field of American IPAs. Maybe it solidifies itself ahead of the rest.

On the back end, it's like you get the bitterness without the burn - if that makes sense(?). I guess what I'm trying to say is the taste is as pleasant as the minimal aftertaste.

You get a good balance of maltiness too. Bonus.

As far as taste/flavor is concerned, it's hard to find better.

*Smell - it smells great, but I taste the hops more than I smell them.

*Feel - it feels good. Smooth. Easy to drink with a high ABV.

*Look - Amberish/goldenish/a little darker than a Sam Adams BL (for your reference)

*Overall/bottom line - Depending on what I'm in the mood for, probably my favorite beer. Great hop taste, balanced with some (great) malt taste. Do yourself a favor, if you like beer, and drink this. You're welcome.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Yummy....always one of my favorite "winter seasonals", although the hoppy IPA style is different than most, with very slight spiciness coming through the massive Cascade hops up front.
Poured into tulip style class, nice color!

A: very nice, creamy foamy head with lacing down the side of the glass, typical of SN brews

S: Wonderful smell, citrusy piney grapefruit, with tons of hop flavor, slight spice notes in vague backgroound

T: Delicious, so so good, could drink this one all the time, the alcohol does not hit you too hard...I am a lover of all things IPA style, so this one is a home run for me, always a wonderful holiday treat....will be getting at least one more 12 pk before they are gone!

MF: easy on the eyes, tastes like heaven, and easy in the mouth...this is one of the best of its type IMO

D: Goes down almost too easy...could easily forget about the 27 other winter seasonals I have collected while enjoying this knock out brew from SN

Give yourself a Christmas gift and pick up some from this great Chico CA brewery!

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Celebration Ale, where have you been all my life? Somehow this ale has flown under my radar, until now. It was worth the wait. Orange hues with a fluffy white head. Very clear and neat. Aromas billow from the glass, with fresh pine hops and malt undertones. Taste is oh so fresh - supreme balance of malt and mega hops. Superb. Fresh hop leaf finish.

Until now, I'd had no idea this brew even existed. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Had it on tap. Even better. Fresher, hoppier, tastier. This has quickly become one of my top beers.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a garnet amber color with mild carbonation, a frothed off-white head, and distinct lacing patterns. Smells of a balanced mixture of toasted malt, caramel, toffee, bright citrus, pine resin, and slight butter notes. Oily hops hit first on the tongue and remain as an underlying flavor throughout the tasting, on to the aftertaste. In the middle there comes the sweet malt body, full of toasty, candy-like tones. Finishes bitter and slightly dry. Mouthfeel is certainly more than middle of the road and it has a slight, prickly carbonation which amplifies the hops on the tongue. Highly drinkable, although the alcohol is pretty big on this one.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

2002 edition. What a marvelous brew!! Admittedly, I'm a hop-head and this beer does not disappoint. Hops, hops and more hops in the aroma (of the signature citric/floral Pacific Northwest varieties). Dark orange amber with a cream colored head that sticks around. Hops dominate the palate with lovely grapefruit and floral flavors which are pleasantly bitter. Delicious sweet bready malt (like Hawaiian sweetbread) comes up for support around mid-palate but quickly gives way to...you guessed it....the hops in the finish. But they are such lovely, complex, well integrated, mouthwatering hops. Mmmm!!

7/4/03: I stocked up on '02 Celebration and it's been a real pleasure to see how it ages. The brash, overt hoppiness of new SN Celebration is still evident but has settled down and is now wonderfully balanced with the malt. I continue to be impressed with this brew.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Smells of leafy green hops with some grapefruit and then the pine smell as it warms. You also get some sweetness from the malt in there as well. I like this IPA because you can tell they use top notch fresh California hops with some really nice roasted caramel almost cherry like malts. The mix of the two is what makes this beer one of the best IPA's out there. I kind of forget what this tasted like last year but I just remember it being really hoppy. It still has that but since I'm so used to trying IPA's now that I'm used to that sort of bitterness. To the average beer drinker this will come across as bitter. To people who always drink IPA's this will come off as bitter mixing in with that sweet flavor to create a balanced but still ending hoppy beer. It sort of reminds me of a HopDevil from Victory but I'm enjoying this one a bit more. This is definitely in my top 5 IPA's. This is my favorite beer from Sierra Nevada.

Poured a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass

A. A true caramel color with hints of orange tinge. Left a two finger creamy head with orange hop oils layered on top of the off-white head. Beautiful, sticky lacing left after each drink. This is a gorgeus looking beer to say the least.

S. Piney, grapefruit citrus with hints of orange zest. There is also a mild caramel sweetness that is quite subtle.

T. Initially very bitter with a punch of tartness form the citrus hops that is sustained throughout the drink. This is followed by a sweet undertone which holds the hop bitterness together.

M. A medium bodied beer with nice texture that can be attributed to the fact that it is bottle conditioned. Carbonation is nice and the finish is dry.

D. This is a highly drinkable beer for the well evolved palate, particulary if you are an ipa enthusiast. I can easily consume a sixer without hesitation or effort.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

This brew poured a copper color with sort of an amber color when held to the light. The head was off-white and about a quarter of an inch thick. The aroma was complex with hints of citrus, hops, and alcohol. The taste was basically the same as the nose with citrus up front and the spice of the alcohol in the middle. The finish is bittery with a nice bite, the citrus also comes back a little in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was nice with good carbonation and it went down smooth. This is my favorite winter seasonal and in my top three overall, what a great beer.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.