Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
2.03/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Orange type of color with a nice head.
S - Has a fruity smell l
T - Very bitter, taste like grapefruit and I don't like grapefruit. Wou
M - Bitter
D - l wouldn't mind drinking it every xmas. I only had a small glass of it, but you need to like the bitter taste of grapefruit to enjoy this.

auxiliary, Dec 25, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -49.5%

Although not even exceptionally hoppy I think this beers is still too bitter, too dry. Especially in the finish it developes a harsh bitterness, almost medicinal. Leaving a very dry mouthfeel like you've been sucking on a piece of rusty metal. I shared the bottle with a friend and I'm glad I did because I probably couldn't have finished it on my own. Smells ok though, fruity and flowers, like most American IPA's.

johnnybravo, Mar 21, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -49.5%

Celebration. Nice amber color...nice head...nice lace that sticks to the glass long after it's empty.

After that it's all hops that will leave your mouth searching for a piece of cheese and a good oatmeal stout or wit to "celebrate". Or some toothpaste. Your choice.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is a slightly spicy overly hopped adventure into a very bitter realm. For "hop-heads" only.

theBubba, Apr 22, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Tap to a pint glass

A: ruby red, minimal white head, orange hues in the light.

S: slight spice.

T: spices, hops, on top of a strong lager taste as well as cardboard and paper = oxidation

F: Smooth, then foamy.

D: Better as it warms up. Overall flat and unbalanced, like someone made a bad lager and threw some spices in at the end.

I was really disappointed with this beer and on this review would not recommend it at all. I'll have to try it in bottle form because it's getting such rave reviews - perhaps the keg was just poorly tapped.

biophiliadude, Nov 10, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -48.8%

Pours a deep brown orange color with a thick white head and a little lacing. Smells of oranges and piney hops and more hops and more hops. Tastes mostly of hops and a little wood in there somewhere and some caramel malts or something. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Drinkability is low.

TheKingofWichita, Dec 28, 2010
2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

The ale poured a beautiful bronze with a georgeous rocky white head. The aroma was essentially of hops very floral. The taste was really pretty one dimensional it was sharp and hoppy and nothing else. The body was medium dry finish. This beer was a real disappointment. I was expecting something complex and maybe spicy instead I got nothing but hops. It was also very unpleasant to drink with chilli.

claytri, Dec 04, 2004
2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

A - Light to medium brown with a half-inch of foam. Foam breaks down at a moderate rate.

S - Spiced milk.

T - Citrus and mild spice. Hints of vanilla. As time goes on, the taste turns very metallic.

M - Makes my tonge feel swollen, as if it is filling my entire mouth.

D - The initial flavors rated a 3.5, but as it wore on, it became a 2. I guess if you slam this beer, it wouldn't bee too bad, but then, what is the point? I was unable to finish this beer.

RevDru, Jan 08, 2007
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I had a hard time with this beer.

Appearance: Nice golden-reddish color. Pour produces a decent head, but it dissipates quickly.

Smell: Fruity, hoppy smell.

Taste: I don't know what to say. My first reaction was good - up front it is fruity and floral and quite pleasant. Unfortunately, there's a lingering aftertaste that sticks to the sides of my mouth. It might be cinnamon, but it's really just medicinal. I wanted to like this beer, but I had a hard time finishing it.

Drinkability: Don't know if I'll be drinking the 5 I have left over.

bc2208, Dec 15, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

I thought this was going to be a winter ale, since the bottle never said anything about it being an IPA. But even with being surprised, I didn't like anything about it.

Very barky with a wanna be cinnamon taste. Tasted very flat and chalky. The head disappeared quickly, and it's too heavy to drink fast enough. Just very bad mouthfeel.

I was excited to have it with my Thanksgiving dinner, but I actually had to switch to Bud Light instead. Yea, I know.

kneeland, Nov 26, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

I initially was very excited about this beer, having heard so many great things about it. But….I found myself a little disappointed in the end.

Poured a clear, orangy, red with a great creamy head which held for a long while. It leaves a little lace and the head is still holding….will it ever quit? The world may never know!

This beer smells like wet hops and plastic. Sorry guys, just my opinion. Upon another inhalation, it has a spicy citrus smell which is quite nice once you get passed the plastic.

This ale is strangely creamy and, as anticipated, very hoppy. I don’t personally have a soft spot for hoppy beers, so this one doesn’t stand out as one of my favorites. It has lots of things going on though. This beer reminds me of grapefruit and lemon peel. Bitter and spicy makes for a great winter warmer. That ABV might catch you off guard, watch out.

Mitchel, Nov 29, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

A: A deep orange/amber color with a nice foamy white head and good lace.
S: Piny, floral, and grapefruit aroma. A little disappointing. I usually love the smell of an IPA, and think that it is the best aspect of the style. I was not impressed with the aroma here however.
T: Very bitter grapefruit and pine flavors. Oh man this is bitter. If there is any malt to balance the flavor, I can not taste it.
M/D: Thin and watery in the mouth. Did I say this was bitter? It is very hard to drink this beer. I had to share this with a friend that usually likes IPA's and we both had problems finishing a 12 oz bottle.

I hate writing reviews like this. I feel like I am bashing this beer too much, but I did not enjoy drinking this. This is not something I will revisit.

champ103, Jan 01, 2008

kabritz, Dec 29, 2013

hikeeba, Jan 23, 2014

HOPHEADNATIONMATT, Apr 11, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -45.2%

I was really surprised when I read the other reviews on this beer so I tried it again and I just can't get past the bitterness. It pours nicely and has a nice color and looks like an enjoyable Christmas/Celebration ale but I was really surprised by the taste. Most holiday ales that I have tasted seem to play with the mixture of spices. It is always fun to try and figure out what the brew master was playing with, and they are never the same. The bitterness is so powerful in this ale that it completely masks any other spice. Sorry, I did try.

Maerzen, May 10, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -42.8%

this had a strange taste.... it was hoppy but unbalanced... the malts were given to caramel, cinnamon and nutmeg hence the winter scene in the advertising. The first taste did not warrant a need for a second taste, it was a winter warmer type of product which now I know I do not like

Dougal, Nov 10, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -40.4%

pours nice. The first thing I notice is the citrus, tates like grapefruit. then at the end it is so incredible bitter its hardly drinkable, to me, and its stays on the sides of my mouth and wont leave! I dont see what the fuss is about on this one, but then again im not into overly hopped beers either. It does have nice carbonation though.

webbcreative, Feb 11, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -40.4%

Reviewed is a 12oz bottle, labeled "2010 Celebration Fresh Hope Ale"

Poured this into a pint glass. Minimal head was created which dissipated rather quickly. The color was a clear bronze amber.

The aroma was very mild, with a hint of pine, very subtle for a fresh hop IPA.

The taste was of toasted malt with an element of burnt chocolate and pine, with a medium bitter-hop finish. The lack of aroma seemed to hold back any complexity in the taste.

This is a moderately drinkable beer. I'm a big fan of SN but this didn't hit the mark for me.

heartofgold, Nov 18, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

tigrstylz, Jan 20, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

laurastradford, Jan 21, 2013
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.