Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

This years (2008) batch. Pours a clearer amber/copper color than from '07. Couldn't say there was any head here. Good carbonation, and the same lacing throughout. A little less citrus/grapefruit aroma from the '07, more of a hoppy aroma. Taste is not too strong with hops,some citrus/grapefruit present. No bitter aftertaste. 2007 is a tad better, but I would still recommend and drink this years edtion.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

poored a cloudy copper with large amounts of off white head that slowly dissipated to a film but leaving a lot of lacing in the process
smells floral, lemon, with a bitter hop smell
tastes of the same as the smells just much more prevalent finishes with a lemon after taste.
light crisp feeling in the mouth very pleasant
very drinkable especially for IPA fans

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

This is my very first review...

Appearance: Clear, reddish copper color. Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass.

Smell: I couldn't really smell much.

Taste: Definitely bitter, but in a good way. The bitterness stays around for a while. I enjoyed the spices used.

Mouthfeel: Very nicely carbonated, feels pretty light.

Drinkability: It's a beer to sip on. I can see myself getting it again. The more I drink it the more it grows on me.

Overall, I'm glad I bought this beer. It's only my second experience with Sierra Nevada and I'll definitely be back for more of their beers!

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at Drafting Room, Exton.

A-Pours a slightly hazy reddish amber. Nice white head with a little lacing.

S-Strong pine hop aroma with a nice amount of balancing malt behind it.

T-A very pleasant bitter hop experience. Sweet malt creeps in at the end to smooth the finish but up until then, it's all piney hops with a bit of graininess.

M-Nicely carbonated, crisp and clean.

D-An annual favorite, I look forward to having many of these while supplies last.

HV

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

I had two different bottles of this years release from two different six packs.

The appearance of this beer as I poured it into my Sierra Nevada (Chico baby!!!) logo pint glass was a nice amber with a creamy finger and a half head and good lacing on the glass.

The smell was a bit of a disappointment from what I had remembered in years past. The spicyness wasn't as prevalent but the hops were definitely there.

What was lacking in the smell department was more than made up in the taste. I love this beer and look forward to this time of year when it is released. The hoppy bitterness seemed to be toned down a bit and a bit of citrus.

The mouthfeel was good, not overbearing and not lacking. I could defintely taste the beer when I was done with it, which was not a bad thing.

The drinkability is good and does not feel like a close to 7% beer. I definitely could drink a few of these in a night and have a great evening.

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

Lovely sticky lacing on a good frothy head.
Not much aroma detected, and the initial feel is watery. But the beer comes back strong, with a nice hoppy bitterness. It is balanced a bit by a bit of malt sweetness, but still is mainly the hops that dominate, and not much else. Still pretty good for all that.

3.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a dark red/ golden color. A decent head stays a while and tries to lace. Smells of spiced hops and light malts. The taste follows the same suit, a very bitter big hop flavor up front that bites at the tongue, then finishes with an easier malt flavor in the background. Mouth wasn't so pleasent with the hop bite, and drinkability wouldn't have lasted long, I did not want another. I guess I was just expecting something else, this isn't my style of beer.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

I thought I reviewed this last year around thanksgiving as my first review but I looked back and theres nothing there so here we go...

Poured 12 oz. bottle into pint glass, dark golden orange color, good carbanation, 1 finger head faded fairly fast, good lacing, smells hoppy, citrusy, floral, some pine notes. taste as it smells, some spicyness, great strong finish. mouthfeel is good and fizzy. drinkablity is good, this is a great example of an IPA.

I think I appreciate this beer more this year than I did last year.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Pours a murky golden red with a creamy head. Leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Smells like spicy, piney hops, mostly. Definitely smells good.

T: Spicy, hoppy bitterness with a little bit of a piney bite to it. Slightly spicy bread aftertaste. This beer is delicious.

M: Good and thick without being syrupy. Just enough carbonation.

D: I couldn't pound these all night, but I would rather just slow down and enjoy 'em anyway.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

amber orange appearance with some good lacing
a nice piney hop aroma followed by a bread malt aroma
reletivley the same as aroma
a well balanced thickness and really smooth
a very drinkable beer no indication of the high abv and a really smooth finish

2008 Celebration Ale.
Appearance has a dark amber hue with a nice pillowy head. Smell of seasonal type bread with spice, malt and hops. Taste is of sweet malts, pine, citrus and a good amount of hops. Mouthfeel has a good medium body that goes down slick. Hats off to Sierra Nevada, this is a great seasonal to be had.

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

cloudy, golden red, one finger head. a lot different than a winter seasonal would usually look.

smells of glorious hops, simcoe, cascade and possibly goldings. A good malt foundation in the nose. very floral and inviting.

Jesus CHRIST! this is hoppy as hell. almost too hoppy and unbalanced until the finish comes and the malt comes through.

the carbonation could be a bit more subtle, but I think the body is pefect for an IPA. this is highly drinkable and a true hop-heads delight. I am a winter seasonal fan and think this beer has a little bit of a winter feel.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Very clean and crisp. Pours a beautiful burnt orange. Like a late autumn sunset, this is a good looking beer. Nice head that seems to last for the duration. Once can tell that this beer is fresh just from the look.

Smell is clean and refreshing. Once again, bitter hops explode out of the bottle. Lemon and orange can be observed. Smells like a light winter snowfall day in Northern Minnesota. What the heck is this beer being made in California for. Nice.

Taste. Very strong IPA flavor. Top notch. Clean. Fresh. Pine. Hops. However, the bitterness is not overpowering. Nicely done Sierra.

Mouthfeel is light. Not heavy. I do wish the flavor would linger a little longer. Seems to disappear as soon as the brew hits the stomach. Could have stayed around. We are friends my beer and I. Why rush away so soon?

Drinkability - Overall, I feel that this is a very good IPA. I would seek this beer out again. However, I do enjoy a stronger bite but the clean and crisp taste of a recently made beer says a lot. I really appreciate how "new" this beer tastes.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a burnt orange color with slight sediment haze. The head is a massive 2 finger fluffy clouf. As it recedes it leaves some lacing.

S- Extremely fresh hoppy aroma of fresh squeezed grapefruit and pine, with hints of sweet malt.

T- Notes of very malty sweetness right off the bat with some nice spiciness then moves into a great dry grapefruit hopiness that lasts all the way to the long finish.

M- Large mouthfeel, very balanced

D- This is one extremely well made IPA. It's definitely sessionable even though it shouldn't be. Be careful with this one.

Appearance: Copper-colored, fairly good clarity and with a solid off-white head that retains reasonably well. Looks like beer, so it's successful on that front I suppose.

Smell: Generously hopped and pleasantly citrusy, grapefruit and blood orange come to mind. There's a touch of tobacco in there as well.

Taste & mouthfeel: Very clean and hop-forward. Citrus and tobacco, notes of grapefruit being particularly strong. Fairly light bodied for being near 7%, and perfectly dry for the style, but the hop flavor could use a bit more oomph - it's good, but not enough to make me celebrate. In any case, I'll have no trouble finishing my six pack.

4.13/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a really pretty clear, copper color with a large one inch off white head. Great retention and some lacing.

The aroma is nice. A good hop profile with a nice burst of citrus. Sweet caramel rounds it out.

The taste is great. A nice hoppy profile with big citrus and pine notes. Kind of spicey as well. The malt is in there, but really just lays low behind the hops. A really solid IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation. A nice fine bubble tingle that isn't overboard.

Drinkability is high. It's a great IPA, really tasty and makes you want more. Definitely an easy drinker and a pleasure to have.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a fairly cloudy consistency. There was a big half inch, foamy head and good lacing.

S: A big aroma of hops, citrus and a piney scent. Also a bit of malt mixed in.

T: A well done flavor of hops, a mild grapefruit element and some malt. Well balanced and flavorful.

M: A vibrant amount of carbonation and a smooth finish. Full-bodied.

D: A drinkable beer, to be sure. Lots of character and a well done taste.

4.45/5  rDev +7%

smooth, good, and hoppy

I read somebody didn't think the 08 version was very hoppy. I have to disagree

darker than most pale ales, works well with a burger!

decent head, great hops smell, and a smooth taste

the mouthfeel is good, not overly heavy by anymeans

this is a very drinkable beer, great job sierra nevada!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

VINTAGE 2004 BOTTLE SAMPLED 11/04/08

Bottle received as an extra in a trade with HimerMan. Dude you're the best!

Appearance: Amber with some burnt orange streaks and a beautiful off white head that dissipates into a nice oily sheen with lacing all over the glass. This looks awesome.

Smell: The hops have really mellowed and I'm getting tons of sweet malt. Don't get me wrong you can still smell hops but they have taken a back seat and the malt is really stealling the show.

Taste: Oh baby is this a sweet vintage. Again the malt is full of honey goodness and the hops have just mellowed to the point of being a mere "spice" if you may. No alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel: Still has an impressive amount of carbonation and a nice medium body.

Drinkability: I could sip this nectar of the gods all day!

Again a big thanks to HimerMan who was so generous he stuck this in as a freakin extra!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Another fine offering from Sierra Nevada. Picked up two bottles in a mix n match 6pack in Clemson, SC at Plez-U Food Store for $1.59
A: Pours a rich golden color that almost has amber highlights. The head is a solid 2 finger off-white head that leaves a very thick lacing along the glass

S: Hops, pine, citrus, and other earthy notes accompanied by a nice malty backing that produces a nice balanced nose

T: Awesome! Very hoppy notes, along with citrus, earth tones, and a nice caramel malt backbone that balances this beauty nicely...The hops are pretty resinous, typical Sierra Nevada

MF: A light/medium body that has a nice aftertaste to it. Leaves the lips a little sticky, as other APAs will...

D: High...I wish I picked up a 6 pack.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Deep orange gold with a creamy light tan head. Leaves nice delicate lacing on the glass.

S: Pine, citrus, floral hops.

T: Upon the first cold sips, the hops and citrus flavors dominate. Upon warming, caramel, brown sugar and rounded grapefruit come through.

M: Light/medium body. Just about perfect for me.

D: This year's batch seems much more drinkable than I remember last year's (2007) being. Maybe my tastes are just evolving. I had no problem polishing off the six-pack in an evening.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 6.8%ABV

Appearance - A strange, reddish-tinted copper color. Half-inch tall, billowy head.

Smell - floral, citrus. Caramel?

Taste - starts with a hop wallop, quickly followed by a touch of malt, and nicely finished with more hops dancing around on your tongue.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and smooth. Coats the throat without being syrup-like.

Drinkability - Very high. I'm always anxious for Sierra's seasonal releases. Celebration 2008 does not disappoint. Hops fans will be lining the trunk with cases this year.

2008 Bottle. This is one bitter beer, copper in color with thick foam on top. Beer smells strong of hops and pine needles. The beer tastes piney, a bit citrusy and fairly maltl.ke. The mouthfeel is fairly sudsy. Overall I'd say its fairly drinkable for a bitter beer and a quaility beer for those who enjoy bitters.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Crisp clear coppery brown, with a pillow soft head that lasts. Smells like hops, citrus and pine, tastes the same, which is good, its a damn fine IPA. Light and crisp on the tongue and its not a hard thing to drink several in a sitting, great drinkability.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Never got a chance to try this one last year so I bought a 12'er right when it came out this year and I'm glad I did. ($14.99/12)

One of the most beautiful beers I've seen in a glass... a huge fluffy head with a light copper-ish color, tons of ascending bubbles which just scream out freshness/deliciousness.

Taste is hop filled and bitter, but the hops seem to me a bit subdued more than the usual IPA. I catch more of a fruity vibe to it than the basic IPA and the bitterness seems to last through the swallow (in a good way). I'm finding this beer hard to review because the beer is almost too good to savor at all. Great work SA.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.