Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured deep copper in color with a resonable nice fine, sticky, off-white head and a little chill haze. Smelled of malt, yeast, and a nice piney, floral hops. Also, some pineapple in the nose. I was impressed by the complexity of the hops in this one. As far as tastes go, the first flavor was a big, bitter mouthful. This was followed by bread crust, and a tiny bit of salt at the very end. Because of the dominance of hops, there is a lingering bitterness and "hop burps".

I finally was able to find this SN beer by me. I've been looking forward to the season and the beer for some time to see if it lived up to the hype. I'm sad to say, IMVHO, that it did not. Don't get me wrong, it was quite a good beer. I am definately seeking this one out in the future. I'm just not going to set up a shrine in its honor. My biggest problem was with the mouthfeel. In terms of style, the mouthfeel was flawless. However, since it is packaged as a winter brew I feel it falls short of the mark. Two things could be done to correct this. The first is give it a finer carbonation. The second is increase the final gravity. IMO, the carbonation is too coarse, or the body a bit too thin, for a "winter warmer".

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass

2009 edition

A: Orangish copper color, crystal clear, thick off-white head, lots of lace.
S: Sharp piney hops, a little citrus as it begins to warm up.
T: Hops completely dominate the malts. The malts are much more dominate here vs SNPA or SNIPA. A little bit of caramel with lots of base malts (makes me think of british malts) would be my guess. Lots of hops but well balanced with lots of malt.
M: Oily hops and a "richer" mouthfeel , tingly carbonation make for a nice beer.
D: This is a great beer, one I look forward to every year for a change of pace. SN doesn't make a bad beer, this one comes across as a "little more", a good way to celebrate. Highly recommended.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

2010 Celebration - I'm about at the end of my first 6pack of 12oz bottles of the season and I've had a pint at my local watering hole. For some reason, this is the first year I've had this one. After having a few, I'm damn ready to write a review. I pour this one into a standard pint glass.

Half inch of off white, loosely packed head. Rather cloudy and dark orange in color. Good lacing and a nice layer of head retention. A slow and constant stream of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

A wet hoppy nose with pine and citurs mainly, but still leaning on the balanced side.

The taste, like the nose, is of dripping wet hops. I seem to have liked the first couple the most and thought they were the most hoppy. The taste has grown to be more fatigued from my perspective and definitely leans more on the balanced side with the caramel malts coming through more and more.

Heavy carbonation in the mouth gives it a prickly character. This one is on the lighter side of medium body and has a crisp finish with a balanced aftertaste.

No problem putting this one back at all. I think there are other hoppy offerings I prefer to the 2010 Celebration, but this certainly was a welcomed change of pace and I'll surely be checking it next year again. Solid B+ beer for me.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured 2010 Celebration into tulip glass.

A- Very nice orange color that poured a giant cream colored foam. Some lacing on the glass remained. Beer was very very hazy...

S- Smell starts with citrus and slightly floral hops, hits a sweetness in the middle, then finished with very lemony and grapefruity hops again.

T/M- Not bad, but the bitterness here is a bit harsher than I expected. The beer initially is a bit bland when it first hits the tongue then gets a little sweet and bready with a big bitter cloud coming over you to end. Some of the citrus hop flavor is there, but mainly bitterness. Not quite as pleasant as I hoped. Medium body and medium carbonation make the mouthfreel proper.

D- I like it, I don't love it. I wish there was a bit more hop flavor to match the bittering qualities. I could be drinking this a bit too late, in which it is my fault; but as is I have reviewed honestly. I don't think I would go back for a second one considering almost 7% alcohol I would move to something else before I got too buzzed.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Beer was a rich copper color, with a bit over a finger of fluffy white head. The foam really clung to the glass tight as it receded. There was a solid stream of bubbles racing to the top of the glass.

Smelled strongly of fresh and resiney hops, with some citrus and sweet malt aroma. The hop flavor is the first thing that jumps out when you take a sip. Pine, orange, grapefruit, pleasantly bitter hops up front, then at the end I picked up a subdued malty flavor.

It was medium bodied, had a fair bit of carbonation, and a slightly dry finish. It's very drinkable - assuming the corner liquor store cooperates and stocks this, it'll probably be my path of least resistance go-to for the coming months.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Hard to believe I haven't reviewed this yet. 12 oz. bottle poured into standard pint glass. Bottled on October 5th. That means it took over a month to hit the shelf in my area.

A - Pours a vibrant amber color with two fingers of porous white head. The carbonation dies to a denser half finger, leaving behind a sticky tie-dye lacing. Great retention.

S - Sweet citrus and fragrant floral hops. A buttery biscuit and caramel malt backbone gives this one a nice warm aroma. Spicy, almost rye-like character as well.

T - The flavor is more mellow than I remember. A perfect balance of floral hops and sweet, bready malts. Some fruits, mostly citrus, dance in the background. Finishes with a nice hop zestiness. Aftertaste is mostly sweet.

M - The best way to describe the mouthfeel is soft. The frothy, creamy body is probably the highlight of this beer for me.

O - Like so many others, I look forward to this wintertime brew each year. It has remarkable balance with a complex caramel malt bill similar to a marzen (plus the hops, of course). The fresh floral hops are notable as well. This is a beer without many weaknesses. I typically go for the big citrus, hop forward IPAs but this one is delicious in an entirely different way. I expect to go through a few cases of this stuff this winter.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

I poured a 2009 Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada's signature 24oz bottles. The color was a hazy maply syrup with a big and dense foamy head.

The smell is pleasing. Some piney hops with a rich caramel and molasses malt. It smells warm and cozy.

The taste is pretty good. The flavor of the malt is key to this beer. I feel the hops are second since (1) they aren't really as pronounced as much as I'd like it and (2) the warm caramel, vanilla, gingerbread and molasses flavor coming from the malt is delicious. It doesn't seem as hoppy as people say it is. This is my 3rd year having it and either the average amount of hops isn't doing it for me anymore or it tasted hoppier in previous years.

The mouthfeel is a little creamy but then goes down watery. This is a nice brew to drink a lot of. The price you can't beat for the quality. I feel that this is a cross between an IPA and a Winter Warmer. I just wish it were a little hoppier.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2007 bottle.

Glowing copper color, moderate fine cream colored head, big rings of lace.

Smells appetizing: big fresh grapefruity and floral hops, caramel, grain. As it sits in the glass, pine and alpine herbs emerge.

Tastes intensely hoppy: mainly grapefruit, with pine, and some spicy and alpine herbal character. Plenty of pine and grapefruit hop bitterness, somewhat astringent. Caramel malty sweetness is well balanced with the bitterness. Lingering heavy pine bitterness.

Bitter hops make for a moderately heavy and astringent texture, with some oiliness. Reasonably drinkable.

A prototypical West coast IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

a: golden copper hue. great retention on lacing. bubbles visibly floating to the surface.

s: nice blend of citrusy and piney hops. Some caramel maltiness as well.

t: Bitterness up front followed by maltiness. Piney hops are the dominant flavor

m: medium body, moderate carbonation. Finishes dry.

o: Simply stated this is a great IPA and a great value. I look forward to this release each year and it has yet to disappoint me.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

First bottle of the season warrants a quickie review.

Looks an amber/reddish tint in my glass. A typical thick, foamy head accompanies. Lots of hops in the nose... pine, malt, delicious. with a nice foamy head.

You can polish off a sixer of these during a football double-header no problem. One of the staples of craft brewery... Sierra Nevada's crowning achievement.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Rich copper with a fluffy, thick cream colored head.

S - A nice inviting aroma of sweet caramel, earthy pine, citrus, and floral hops.

T - Lots of earthy pine and grapefruit hops supported by a bready, caramel malt backbone. The hops are the true showcase here.

M - Smooth, creamy, and a bit sticky. Medium bodied, crisp, and refreshing. Slightly dry.

O - This is an excellent IPA - just a wonderful winter seasonal. Very balanced, flavorful, and drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA pint glass

A: Pours a orange/copper hue with a 1/2 finger off-white head. This doesn't last very long. It has decent lacing [edit: had another one and the lacing was much better]

S: Obviously hops present here, but also spice (cinnamon/ginger) and some orange peel

T: Piney hops upfront, followed by gingerbread and minimal caramel. To be honest, I was not a big fan of this at first, but that may have been because it was served cold. Enjoyed this much more after it warmed up a little bit

M: Dry mouth feel. The carbonation gives it a light feel

D: Overall a good tasting IPA. Easily could put a few of these back in a sitting

12 oz bottle into DFH snifter

A - Pours a hazy copper with a finger of off-white head. Nice sticky lacing

S - Mild citrus hops an a sweet and grainy malt background.

T - Mild citrus hop and bitterness. Grainy in the middle and finish. Probably a lot better fresher, when the citrus hops can kick a bit more.

M - Medium body and nice carbonation. Right on for an IPA.

D - Easy to drink. Fun to drink. A good IPA that is probably a lot better the fresher you get it, as usual. I prefer Torpedo, but it is close.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.