Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Celebration AleSierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-02-2001

Fresh Hop Ale; no spices.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,373 | Reviews: 3,357
3.07/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Sierra set the bar for me years ago, but this Celebration is heavy and not that hoppy to me now.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Very pleasantly surprised, my favorite fresh hop beer I've had so far this season!

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into pils glass. Dark amber orange. S:Caramel, vanilla, and a fruit. T: Caramel, small vanilla, and maybe plum on that fruit. Bottle dated 11-19-14. This is really good. If fresher is any better I couldn't stand. SN beers do last.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a light brown into my Sierra Nevada pint. A profound pillow for a 2+ finger, soapy head. Very good looking.

Smells of hops and slightly alcoholic.

When I went to taste this beer, the head was so light that I did not even feel it on my lips until I got to the liquid. The first thing I taste is hops, followed by malt. I cant quite put my finger on something else I sense in the finish (nutmeg, ginger?)

It feels rather creamy, with tight carbonation. Highly drinkable (I will be finishing the 4 that I have!)

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

I just had a bottle of Celebration for the first time ever. Which is amazing considering I've been pretty into beer for several years now. Always figured it was a middle-of-the-road, avoidable beer. Man was I wrong. Celebration is great stuff. I'll definitely be getting it again next year.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Celebration Ale is one of those beers that just grows on you over time. The flavor seems to vary from batch to batch, but you can taste the similarities. The pros are its not super heavy and the hop flavor is quite fresh. Though, sometimes the hop flavor verges on IPA and you would expect a little more "spice" since its a seasonal. Overall, its an excellent beer that would be good anytime of year, not just winter.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

2010 version pored into a goblet

After being pored into the goblet, the head starts off small than continues to rise to about 2 fingers. The head then subsides until it becomes a think creamy top to the beer. Definite notes of spice, citrus and pine in the nose.
The tastes starts off rather spicy but gives way to a slight biscuit backbone. The hops hide the alcohol well.
This slightly creamy beer is very easy to drink.
I look forward to this one each celebration season.

3.42/5  rDev -17.6%

I poured it into a pint glass so I could enjoy the aroma as well as the taste. It poured with very little head, but laced the glass nicely as I drank it. It was not a bad beer by any means. It is a bit more btter than I prefer. It was a nice amber color, and had a great hop aroma. Beyond the bitterness, it finished smooth, a nice aftertaste. A perfect beer for a cold winter day in Illinois.

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured a rusty amber with a two-finger off-white rocky head that settled into thin smooth crust leaving lots of lacing.

All i got was hops in the bouquet - was hoping for a little more.

Piney taste was dominated by the hop bitterness.

Good light to medium-bodied mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Overall this tasted like an average IPA, which means I generally liked it, but looking to taste more than just hops.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

A: Decent color, nice amber brown/red/gold color. Dark color very appealing but not great

S: This beer has a pretty good smell. The reason I give it a 3 was because this is a fresh hopped beer. This beer should be oozing out that delicious fresh hop smell i crave in a fresh hopped beer. It smells good but not as good as i would like for a fresh hop.

T: Good taste; Not very balanced but good none the less. Very malty and then very bitter. Good bitter and good malt but not well put together. This beer had a little bit of a metallic taste to it for me; a little unpleasant. The fresh hop taste is nice and acidly but is not as fresh or hoppy as I would like for being a "fresh hop."

M: This beer has great mouth feel. Very creamy almost like a nitro or what a cast beer would have. Its always great to get something creamy out of this style. Very sexy lace drips down the glass all the way till the end. This is an almost perfect mouth feel. This beer sets the precedent for the style.

D: You could drink this beer all night but you would wake up in the gutter!

Overall: This is a good recommendable beer. It is worth a try but if you want something that truly represents a "fresh hop" beer this is not the beer you are looking for. On a scale of 1 to a 100 this beer is an 80. Good beer but breweries go through great lengths to fresh hop beer. This beer just has no craftsmanship, no soul. Its the same as when John Coltrane stopped shooting heroin.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

serving type: bottle

A: Deep orange on the cloudy side. good head retention. It leaves good lacing.

S: Lots of hops, lots of hops. Pine and grapefruit stand out.

T: Bitter hops hits you and excellent flavor and finish.

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Very drinkable, like an early Christmas for a hop-head. Loved the previous years? Then you will love this years offering.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Had the honor of tasting this one on it's first day on-tap. Wow.

APPEARANCE: Clear light-ruby colored with half-inch head dissipating to pleasant layer of bubbles on top - lots of bubbles on side of glass.

SMELL: Pine hops and spice.

TASTE: SO FRESH! YES! dry fresh pine hops with a bit of spiciness in there... caramel finish... I had a huge mug of this stuff, and could have had another... this is a great brew!

MOUTHFEEL: Thicker than I would've expected for this brew... but with the carbonation, it was right on spot.

DRINKABILITY: This is an awesome beer. No kidding. I don't know what it's like from a bottle, but from a keg on it's first day of being released to the public, it is absolutely wonderful. It has all the complexity to keep you interested, but not so intense to make it non-sessionable. Hats off to Sierra Nevada once again!

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Sierra Nevada once again has proven, if you build it they will come. Finding this years Celebration Ale was kind of a crap shoot. It left the shelves fast this year. I enjoyed the beer in a glass poured from a bottle.

A: Pours a rich golden brown color with a light tan 1" head, which slowly disappears. Loose yet consistent lacing.

S: Beautiful, bright citrusy smell.

T: Equal balance of malt and citrus hops. Ends with a slight grapefruit type bitterness. Very pleasant.

M: Definitely not heavy. Medium to bold maybe.

D: Share a six with a friend and call it an evening. At 6.8, this one can fool you into drinking more than a few.

I couldn't wait until the holidays this year. Next year will be no different.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

As a small brewer Sierra Nevada is the company I aspire to meet or at least approximate.

Aroma: fine citrus and spicy, piney hops.
Appearance: rocky 2 finger head, down to 1 inch after 5 minutes
Taste: Perfect IPA with caramel toasty.
Overall: This is the definite American middle ale India Type.
As a small professional brewery, this beer is the perfect example of what there is. Perfect bitterness, tastes, presentation, and finish; this is what we can only aspire to match. Hooray Sierra Nevada! Thank you for the ultimate benchmark.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured a beautiful lightly clouded amber with medium thick head and fair retention. It smelled of citrus and sweet. The taste matched the smell with heavy hops and a bit of cracker taste on the end. The mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation and is very drinkable. I will have this again.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a goblet

A: Incredible head. I had to pour, wait, pour, wait, pour wait, pour to get all 12 ounces out of this bottle. Lacing stuck around throughout. A beautiful copper but held to the light revealed some sediment. Not sure if that was supposed to be there or not and it wasn't chill haze as I poured this at cellar temp and the yeasties stuck around.

S: Hops. Just hops.

T: The first time I had this beer, all I got was hops. This time, I found some malt in the background. That may be because I allowed this beer to warm to cellar temperature rather than drinking it right out of the fridge. There is some malt sweetness but not much and you have to look for it.

M: Medium bodied with a crisp, bitter finish.

O: This is what I would call a barely balanced IPA. There is enough malt to keep it from being undrinkable but it's not as balanced as other IPA's out there. Then again, the other IPA's I'm thinking of are DIPA's so maybe I'm being overly critical in that regard. I supposed I'm still trying to decide how I feel about this beer.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

I will skip the standards with this many reviews. This is a good looking beer with a spicy smell and great head. This beer is just plan awesome for the winter months. I always start off with this beer when we get into the Christmas ales. And what a great way to start a session. IMO this is what I did about a beer just damm well balanced and oh so good. You should really enjoy this one. Later

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Poured from bottle into a pint glass with a nice amber color. Creamy two inch head which laced nicely down the glass after every sip.

S: Citrus hops very dominating.

T: Grapefruit hops...very nice if your into hops. Which I am.

D: Had two but felt as if I could have had several more.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a hazy amber gold with off white head that leaves a lot of lacing. Smells of citrus hops with a bit of pine. The taste is heavier on pine, but you still get citrus and spice. Medium bodied and very drinkable.

Bravo to Sierra Nevada for going way outside of the box on a winter seasonal. This is an annual holiday staple in my fridge.

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz bottle

A - copper orange. decent lacing of foam

S - grains and floral notes

T - sweet malts. hops with bitter, spicy, and citric flavors. tobacco present. clean finish

M - carbonation and smooth lighter body.

D - a little heavier than your average ipa. easier to savor though. goes down easy.

notes - in comparison to SN torpedo, this is heavier and maltier but less hops.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Roosters Beak Augusta, GA

Sierra pulls off a great balancing act, managing to produce a warming, holiday brew while staying true to their signature west coast hoppy style.

A: This ale pours a beautiful rusty, orange color with just a slight haziness and a creamy off-white head. Beautiful.

S: Pine, spicy hops, and grapefruit dominate. Makes you want to taste it for sure.

T: The taste is of spicy, fresh hops with notes of caramel, apple and citrus, especially grapefruit. For me it finishes with a slight malt base taste, although dry. Amazing!

M: Good carbonation for 6.8 with a medium thick but smooth mouthfeel

O: The richer, spicier "holiday" taste elements are all beautifully tamed and balanced with bitter hops in what is a fantastic IPA. Probably the ultimate hophead holiday beer. This is one of the best IPAs I have had the pleasure of drinking. Do not pass on this one!

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Deep amber/red color with a 3-finger white head.

S - Aroma is citrus with a little pine. Has almost a grassy hop aroma.

T - Taste is sweet, bready malt and a piney hop flavor.

M - Mouthfeel is average.

O - Overall, I would say this one of my least favorite IPA’s. A little to much bitterness for the amount of hop flavor and aroma. It also has a lingering piney bitterness that I feel could be better supported by more flavor and aroma hops or more of a malt backbone.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A fizzy Torpedo....not a bad thing..

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

terrific ipa ! lost in all the flavors. rings the palate like a glockenspiel! hums the hops . smooth and wet. drinkability deluxe. i found another favorite. and i hesitate to say its almost amazing. almost...

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

The beer when poured exhibited a generous lasting head. The aroma was hoppy with a sweet background. The predominant characteristic is the hop bitterness and flavor. This is soon followed by a background maltiness that serves as a perfect backdrop for the main character, the hop. The beer was a pleasure to drink being so well balanced.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.