Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look. Golden red Amber with a large light tan head.
Smell. Slightly yeasty, fresh, even toned, nothing pronounced for me.
Taste. Hoppy, barleyish (I guess) plenty of low sugar grains (the barley?) strong bitter pickey finish high on the back of the palette.
Mouthfeel. Medium heavy body, puckery, chewy, oily, nice and rich.
Overall. Really good if you like the barley wines, which I do. Something beyond the hops rolling around in there, some different heavier kind of bitter with more body.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured in my snifter glass. Minimal head with a dark burnt orange color. Lacing on the glass with a few floaties. Getting caramel on the nose. Wow! Not what I was expecting as barleywines are too sweet for me. The hops come thru followed by a little sweetness on the backend. Smooth the alcohol wasn't over powering. I'm getting a couple more to cellar.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a hoppy and has a somewhat sweet note. You can surely taste the alcohol in this one. I'm sure with time this beer will get better. I'm glad I purchased a number of these and can't wait to enjoy one with some age on it.

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tempestuous of late has been the climate, as has been my mood and palette. Subsequently, I approached this brew with a great deal of trepidation. Indeed, my caution was warranted. Removing the cap, I was met wish a noisome aroma of an intoxicating and noxious potion that would be best served to sate the throat of the damned. The putrid, caustic color belies a serum of the most unholy and wicked disposition. I cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone would want to consume something which so closely resembles the embodiment of pure, black evil. Waxing philosophical, one can only think of the bleakest nihilism while attempting to toss back a bottle of this repugnant liquid. For it is when we are out our lowest that we can shine our brightest, so to does a beer like this remind us of why we are alive, and that we should avoid this type of masochistic debauchery.

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Great for this time of year.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 FL OZ bottle. 022714. Pours a medium amber colour with a tall dense light tan head which lasted well and left some nice lacing. Sweet malty aroma with pine, caramel and some bread. Medium sweetness and slightly more bitterness. Chewy, medium to full body, alcohol warmth and lingering bitterness. Goes down a treat but the 9.6% abv could do some damage. 8.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

*I have a little bit left in my St Bernadrdus chalice glass close to room temperature for this written review*

A- Appearance is dark orangey, copper, and a bit of red. Had a nice 2-3 finger head, but it didn't last all that long in the chalice style glass. Minimal lacing, but it had nice looking alcohol legs. Looks like a classic barleywine for sure.

S- It has dankness, and oily character from the hops. Dark fruits and citrus, sugary sweetness, and some malty, bready notes. There is a big yeasty quality to it as well. Maybe that's where this bready, almost doughy, scent is coming from. Alcohol is there in the nose. It's, in a way, very similar to a double IPA in smell. But overall, it smells like an American style barleywine.

T- This isn't too bad if you're a certified Hop Head, but the hoppy bitterness is very noticeable. Dark fruits and those classic West Coast citrus notes are there, along with the yeasty, earthy type flavors. Some toffee and caramel malts. The malts sit very well behind the alcohol and sweetness. The sweetness is almost candied like, but it's not that cloying at all. This beer finishes very dry! The flavor is pretty hoppy and sweet, with the caramel malts and hints of alcohol. I find the hoppy bitterness pleasant. But that's just me. If you like your double IPAs, you may like this.

M- This is a full and rich bodied beer. You can feel the alcohol a bit in the back of the throat, but in no way shape or form does this beer burn. The beer does coat the mouth and throat nicely. There's a slickness and heft to it I like. The mouthfeel of this would slap yo Mamma around.

Overall, it's a great beer. It is the best I've ever had? No! But this one, although I drink it rarely, is nostalgic for me. It was the first beer I ever bought that made me want to start cellaring beer. And for that, this beer will always have a special place on my shelf aging away!

4.11/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5 Look
Pours a deep translucent amber orange with 1 finger of white head that quickly disappears but leaves a fair amount of lacing.
4 Smell
mango and peach with some sweet malts and a touch of alcohol.
4.5 Taste
Sweet malts up front with a lasting tropical mango undertone lots of bitter hops that have a long lasting aftertaste along with a touch of alcohol on the end.
4.25 Feel
Sticky and alcohol warm and long lasting. Kind of like a song that you cant get out of your head but a good song.
4.25 Overall
Wow I love this. I have limited experience with barley wines but this is already a favorite. I can Hardly Wait to see how this develops over time if i can keep my hands off what i store away. : I will definitely be buying at least 1 more 4 pack especially at a $10.00 price point. tasty tasty tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

Too hoppy for a barley wine IMO.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

3.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2013 Vintage of the Bigfoot Barleywine

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.