Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,788 | Reviews: 2,914
4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

In my opinion this is the beer that should serve as part of the new standard for an American Barleywine style ale. The hop profile on this is simply divine whether you are drinking a fresh batch beer or one that has aged in the cellar for 2-3 years. If does have minor variation for each vintage year, my favorite so far being circa 2012, but it is consistently excellent. While these are no longer sold in 6-packs and they are a bit pricey, it is certainly worth the cost to buy a couple of 4-packs. Drink 2-3 now and cellar the rest to see how they develop with age.

1.92/5  rDev -53.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Ouch.

Gotta be tuff for this one.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I just did not like this beer. The booze wasn't even slightly masked, and the mouthfeel was so heavy I felt like an anvil was going down my throat. Maybe barleywine isn't my thing, but I love all of Sierra Nevada's other beers.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My first favorite barley wine. I have refined my palate, slowly. Hoppy, not super sweet. It really is filling. I find a few other barley wines better, but the BAer's really like thin one and I know why. I think I just drank to much of a good thing and became a little sick of it.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look. Golden red Amber with a large light tan head.
Smell. Slightly yeasty, fresh, even toned, nothing pronounced for me.
Taste. Hoppy, barleyish (I guess) plenty of low sugar grains (the barley?) strong bitter pickey finish high on the back of the palette.
Mouthfeel. Medium heavy body, puckery, chewy, oily, nice and rich.
Overall. Really good if you like the barley wines, which I do. Something beyond the hops rolling around in there, some different heavier kind of bitter with more body.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured in my snifter glass. Minimal head with a dark burnt orange color. Lacing on the glass with a few floaties. Getting caramel on the nose. Wow! Not what I was expecting as barleywines are too sweet for me. The hops come thru followed by a little sweetness on the backend. Smooth the alcohol wasn't over powering. I'm getting a couple more to cellar.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a hoppy and has a somewhat sweet note. You can surely taste the alcohol in this one. I'm sure with time this beer will get better. I'm glad I purchased a number of these and can't wait to enjoy one with some age on it.

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tempestuous of late has been the climate, as has been my mood and palette. Subsequently, I approached this brew with a great deal of trepidation. Indeed, my caution was warranted. Removing the cap, I was met wish a noisome aroma of an intoxicating and noxious potion that would be best served to sate the throat of the damned. The putrid, caustic color belies a serum of the most unholy and wicked disposition. I cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone would want to consume something which so closely resembles the embodiment of pure, black evil. Waxing philosophical, one can only think of the bleakest nihilism while attempting to toss back a bottle of this repugnant liquid. For it is when we are out our lowest that we can shine our brightest, so to does a beer like this remind us of why we are alive, and that we should avoid this type of masochistic debauchery.

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Great for this time of year.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 FL OZ bottle. 022714. Pours a medium amber colour with a tall dense light tan head which lasted well and left some nice lacing. Sweet malty aroma with pine, caramel and some bread. Medium sweetness and slightly more bitterness. Chewy, medium to full body, alcohol warmth and lingering bitterness. Goes down a treat but the 9.6% abv could do some damage. 8.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.