1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank a bottle of the 2007 edition on 10/14/07 from the 6 pack that has been aging in my cellar for about 5 months now. Poured into my snifter. This beer pours cloudy copper color. The head is a good 1/2 inch thick when poured before settling to a nice, fluffy surface layer with some good lace. Smells of hops, malt, and grapefruit are present. Tastewise there is plenty of pine hop bitterness and malty sweetness occurring simultaneously. Strong hints of grapefruit are certainly noticeable as well along with alcohol. The flavors are starting to mellow out nicely compared to the harshness this beer had when it was fresh IMO. Has a crisp, creamy and full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the way good beer should be.

Re-reviewing this on the night of 2/1/2013

A-4 S-4 T-4.75 MF-4.5 O-4.75

A 12 oz. bottle of the 2007 vintage that has been aging in my beer cellar for over 5 1/2 years now. Poured into a snifter, this beer pours a somewhat cloudy dark copper color with a tan head that is about 1/3 inch when poured that settles fairly quickly to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass with some spotty lacing. Aromas of sweet caramel malt, citrus grapefruit, a hint of piney hops, and butterscotch are all nicely present here. Tastewise this beer has a very nice caramel, slightly roasted, malt and butterscotch sweetness upfront followed with hints of citrus grapefruit and a trace of piney hop bitterness. The sweetness really came out more and dominated as the beer sat and warmed up a bit. The harsh hop bitterness I have experienced when having drank both this vintage and other vintages of this beer when fresh is pretty much nowhere to be found now. The taste of alcohol is barely noticeable now as well. What a difference 6 1/2 years in the aging room in the cellar makes! Has a crisp, yet also creamy, somewhat sticky and oily, chewy, thick bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This one really coats the inside of the mouth and the flavors linger for a long time indeed! Wow! An absolutely fantastic beer now!

Eric

2.79/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I had this beer last year, and I really liked it. I like this style. I am a sucker for sweets, and I remember this one being sweet. It was interesting to read this beer is good both fresh and aged. I think I am going to get 4 bottles, hold 2 to drink in 3 years and hold 2 to drink in 10 years. Not sure I can keep beers around that long, but I am going to try! Next time I am at Total Wine & More I will grab some more. Might need to find a new cellar, though!

When I went to the fridge, it was either this or the Celebration Ale. I figured we could drink this one because it's a big beer over 10% ABV, and it's Phoenix Open week here in the Valley. Everyone is drinking beer, so I figured we would too! Had a beer today on hole 16 and got to watch Phil miss the green. Everyone was yelling and giving him a hard time. Welcome to the Waste Management Phoenix Open!

In the Glass: It has a nice color to it. You can't really see through it, and the head is thin producing a very nice sticky lace. Beers like this are usually thick, and while this doesn't have that appearance in the glass, I can tell you from experience this has a nice, thick mouthfeel.

Nose: This beer smells like melted butter. It has a nice sweetness to it, as well. This is right from the fridge, and barleywines usually smell and taste better as they heat up. I am going to let this sit for a little bit, and take my last drink at room temperature. I poured myself another beer to help me through the waiting period!

Flavor: That is the flavor I remember. However, this one seems a little more hoppy than I remember. It's not as sweet as I remember. Like I said, I am drinking this cold… but that shouldn't bring out that much hoppy flavor. The finish (and I will get to that) reminds me of an IPA. I wonder what they changed with this release. Do they change the recipe every year?

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is not as thick as I remember. Look at me… recalling my experience the last time I drank this. I am also not blown away with the finish. Again, I will l get to that. The beer is a little more carbonated than I remember, and it's also not as thick as I remember. Barleywines are not supposed to have bubbles… I want thick, flat malty goodness from a barleywine. Not champagne bubbles and a hoppy finish.

Aftertaste: Did they change the recipe and make an IPA? I am serious… this tastes like an IPA. Every swallow is loaded with hops, and I am having a hard time figuring out why this is better fresh. This will, with time, mellow out. But man, this is not very good. I am actually a little disappointed in this offering. Considering I like this last year, I had some big expectations. Boo Sierra Nevada, BOO!

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - The bottle says: "Bigfoot is a beast of a beer, brimming with flavor from massive amounts in roasted malt and spicy hops; brewed in the barleywine style, with a rich bittersweet body and whole-cone Pacific Northwest hops.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Pours a nice mahogany with cooper highlights. It has a thick caramel colored head that goes all night and leaves massive lacing.

Smells of malt, pine, and resinous hops backed by some earthy nutty notes.

Sweet malt up front with chewy biscuit mouth feel. That sweetness is ripped away almost immediately by big pine resinous bitter hops which dance lively across the palate and leave the finish dry. Earthy and nut (almond) notes are subtle but can be sensed slightly towards the finish. A very nice aggressive beer. After three years, it is still fairly raw.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle, 2013 Vintage

A: Mohagany/dark ruby. Pours a medium sized off white head. some patches of lacing. Nothing crazy.

S:Toasted English biscuit malts, some citrusy hops, with pine notes too, Some cognac notes.

T: Initially a big wave of grapefruit and piney hops. Follows up with a big molasses, caramel, even slightly choclatey. Hop flavor then comes back much more spicey/herbal and earthy, some floral notes too. Some tea like notes in malt base. Perhaps some grape/cognac/bourbon burn in finish.

M: High carbonation and super soft/creamy. Not heavy though. ABV isnt that well hidden.

O: Pretty big flavors all over the place. A bit palate taxing. Some time in the bottle would definitely make it smoother, as this is pretty fresh. I'm tempted to drink it sooner tho as I enjoy the hop profile more so than the malt profile. Great for the price, worthy of a once a year price.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.