Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance
Dark garnet. So dark it's hard to tell the clarity. Pleasing color though looks formidable. Good head cap sits complacently and leaves nice lacing along the way.

Smell
Fruity, juicy hops make up most of the aroma. They're not as pronounced as I expected; not up to the level of Celebration Ale. Some doughy, biscuity malts are faintly detectable. Orange, cranberry, strawberry, raspberry notes coming out.

Taste & Body
Initial sip surprises me by how melded and behaved the flavors are. I remember this before as being assertively hopped and it's not striking me that way. The finish reveals the weight of this beer as a slight sting tickles my nose. Silky oily texture and full-bodied with a lower level of carbonation than lower strength beers. There's a sharp bitterness that cuts through at the end and fights on my tongue for dominance over the doughy sweet malts.

Overall
An extremely drinkable young barley wine. Maybe this year's is even more balanced as I remember it being extremely hoppy in years passed. Wonderful stuff.

JEdmund, Feb 17, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

2010 bottle

A- Pours an amber/brownish-red color with a two-fingered light-brown head. The lacing left behind is incredible.

S- Very piney.

T- A sippin' brew for sure. Drink this one over a 45 minute to an hour period. Tastes really come out as it warms. More pine/citrus hops with some fruitiness.

M- Full bodied. Alcoholic warmth. Goes down fairly easy.

D/O- Call it good after one of these. Probably the easiest barleywine style beer to find and that's a good thing folks. Going to leave 3 out of the 6 pack to age at least a few years. Also aging a 2009 bottle.

Duff27, Feb 17, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber colored beer with a very slowly fading head.Aroma is mainly hoppy.Taste is hops,grapefruit,caramel,toffee and alcohol.A pretty decent beer that goes down relatively smooth.This is something that is nice to try at least once.I beleive I would purchase this again.

matty, Feb 16, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2010 bottle poured into an imperial pint glass (the one that looks similar to a weizen, around 19 oz's)

I've finally gone ahead and picked up a single of Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale, a curious brew I first noticed in six packs a year or two ago.

Sierra Nevada's brews almost always have an unmistakable hops smell. The only brew from this outstanding brewery that doesn't have the smell, to my knowledge, would be the recently released Glissade, a pretty distinct bock that is light in color and pilsner-style sharp in hop character.

This barleywine style ale is up there with Sierra Nevada's Estate, a tasty beverage a friend and I had the pleasure of enjoying several weeks ago while sharing a 24 oz bottle.

Not that I'm an expert, but I was thinking loudly, "Cascade!" when I got my first whiff and taste of Bigfoot. Turns out I was right, partly. Cascade hops are at work with Centennial and Chinook, all engaging in a variety of quality tactics. Just check the Sierra Nevada website to find out more.

The foam is always a half-inch thick, and the lacing is hefty. In fact, the lacing actually drys up on the glass. It gives you a good idea of how bitter the hops actually are in this brew. The color is amber-red, and the smell is outstanding.

Gosh this stuff is delicious!

DerekP, Feb 16, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

2010 Vintage bottle poured into snifter glass. I am also aging 2008 and 2009 vintage and will be reviewing those soon as well.

A: Glowing rich amber coloring with off tan head surprisingly large for barleywine. Lacing quite heavy. Really nice looking brew.

S: Caramel and toffee notes with slight alcohol notes apparent. Pungent fruity hop notes.

T & M: For a barleywine a little lighter bodied than expected but still relatively full bodied. A little creaminess in mouthful. Tones from nose come through up front with clean, dry hop tones in the finish. This is a barleywine that is not ridiculously overbearing, aging will be nice but isn't absolutely needed in my opinion.

D: One of the more drinkable barleywines I have encountered and one of my absolute favorites. I can't wait to try the 2008 and 2009 vintages that I have been aging.

elniko, Feb 16, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

2010 bottle that my buzzed pal insisted I take and try. Even though I prefer a straightup IPA I thought I would give it a try.
Poured into a tapered goblet a very dark amber with a thick, light brown head. Good fresh smell, mostly grains. Taste was much milder than I expected, I didn't get hops at all. Not much of a mouthiness, still very tasty but not bitter. I don't know if I have been drinking to many fresh hop and double IPAs, or does this need to age a bit?

darthmiles, Feb 16, 2010

2007 vintage

A - Poured a deep reddish brownish amber with a nice thick head. Some generous lacing on the glass.

S - Smells strongly of pine flavored hops.

T - Tastes just like it smells, but even more agressive (and that is saying something). Pine overtones blend with citrus, earthy undertones. There is some pale, biscuitty maltiness here too, but the hops are the star of this show and they really shine. A very nice job of masking the alcohol. Rich and deep, I'm sure the 3 years of aging definitely helped bring out the flavors. Aggressive yet flavors are smooth and rounded.

M - Full bodied and fairly smooth. Medium to high carbonation. Works very well.

D - A great barleywine, hoppy yet balanced.

BostonBrewins, Feb 16, 2010

2010 bottle

Very attractive, pristine amber in color. When held up to the light this one looks divine. Little-to-no head, but still a good amount of lacing as this one goes down in the glass.
Smell is very assertive--malty and very hoppy. Citrus and pineapple aromas as well.
AS with the smell, the taste is an excellent combination of malts and hops, with the hops dominating. A little bready and quite bitter, with the same citrus and pineapple from the smell. Alcohol is very well concealed.
Mouthfeel is crisp and again bitter, with a slightly dry finish.
Very drinkable despite its ABV--which again is hardly noticeable. I wish I had another.

I bought just one bottle but I'll be buying more. I've had the '09 which I thought was good, but not great. I then had an '06, which changed my opinion of this beer for the better. After trying the '10 I'm fully convinced this is an excellent beer.

Parrotbeak, Feb 16, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

2010 vintage

Pours a very ruby red color with some light mahogany hints. Head is big and fluffy light brown head. Nose is a bit boozy, has tons of hoppiness and some sweet malt.

Taste is quite bitter - think IIPA here with some light booze, but not much for being almost 10%. Theres a very fruity/vegital finish on it that's quite good. A lot of people say you've got to age this beer, but fresh it's almost like a malty IIPA, and I think it's great!

kingcrowing, Feb 15, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

2010 vintage. Any beer that has Sasquatch on the label has to be good, right? Time to find out.

A: Poured into an oversized wine glass. Really pretty ruby-brown that, when held to the light, has a very jewel-like quality to it. About a finger head. The lacing is sinewy and sticky.

S: Mmmmm, piney hops. That is the overriding kick to the nostrils in this one. I can smell the malt hiding in the background, though. A slight caramel aroma is also present. Not really complex, but I do like the dry hop character.

T: Definitely more of a balance between the malt and hop flavor in the taste than in the smell. I was expecting more of a hop-bomb based on the bouquet. The piney-hop dryness is present throughout the sip, but the malt sweetness is there until the very end to complement the hop flavor. Some really dry citrus flavors and a little breadiness are also in there.

M: A nice, full, puckering feel. Pretty dry at the end. It's not a full-out party in the mouth, but it's enjoyable. Good carbonation to support the taste.

D: I enjoyed drinking this brew thoroughly, but the dry hop flavor really affects my palate and I wouldn't want more than one, or maybe two in a sitting.

TCHopCraver, Feb 15, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2010 Bigfoot
Appearance has a nice brownish amber with a nice off white head and lace. Smell of malt and piney hops. Taste like an extreme IPA with a light salty sweetness, it doesn't have the rich malt to balance out as in other barleywines. Mouthfeel is medium - heavy with good carbonation.
A good price for $6.99 a sixer, but it just doesn't have the rich malt balance I like in a barleywine. As a DIPA this is one great brew.

Bookseeb, Feb 15, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

drank my 2009 in celebration of the 2010 bigfoot. taken from notes.
pours an impenetrable red amber hue. so beautiful. off white one finger head. this beer looks perfect. gorgeous and clear with enough lace that I have to literally scrub my glass afterwards. 5 out of 5. smells of strong caramel malt sweetness. still some hops present. piney and bitter. tastes of molasses and candy sweetness. blueberries. very faint alcohol warmth. light piney hops dance gorgeously in the backround. beautiful balance. strong bitter hop finish that lasts and lasts. always a winner in my book. age this beast for awhile. the 2001 was one of the best beers i've ever had. did i mention it's 10.99 for a sixer? I usually don't care for the aggressiveness of american barleywines, but this one is a winner.

backfat, Feb 14, 2010
4.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Dark amber, clear with a foamy, tan, milkshake-like head.

S: Very hoppy with an even balance of citrus and pine hops. Light sour apples in the background.

T: Slightly salty front is followed well by a caramel-grapefruit middle. Very hoppy with a warming alcohol presence in the finish that leaves a lingering, pleasantly bitter taste behind.

D: Very high for hop-heads.

Value: Not bad at all. I think this is a good choice for someone who wants HopSlam but either can't find it, or isn't in the mood to pay $18 for a sixer.

WeezyBoPeep, Feb 14, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 bottle, poured a nice amber/caramel color with a good head and sticky lace.
Did i pour an IPA? Smells hoppy and sweet, piney and lightly fruity.
I must have poured an IPA. Hops bite your tongue, but it smooths out a bit even with the bitter taste, piney, citrus, caramel but not much.
Big beer i have to say, smooth full feel, almost creamy in texture. Moderate carbonation, and it's definitely a sipper.
Its drinkable as the alcohol is covered well, but just 1 did me fine.
Im going to pick some more of this up and throw it downstairs, its intense and i feel i t would be good to let it mellow out a bit.

BeerMasterD, Feb 14, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz bottle into pint glass. This pours an awesome caramel/amber color. It looks like there's sediments frozen into the middle of the beer. There's a nice little head and some lacing. This has a sweet barleywine smell to it. It's typical and average for the style. Wow! This has a bit of bite to it. It tastes like a mixture of blueberry and hop. Real nice stuff here. It's a great sipping beer. Please don't try and slam this!

billyzoom666, Feb 14, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A: The beer is mahogany and slightly hazy with a little bit of active carbonation going on. The head is big, at least three fingers, and sort of sandy colored. A lot of texture in the head, many different sized bubbles and sparse but solid lacing. The head doesn't stick around too long though, which may be a good thing for a barleywine. 4.5/5

S: Very piney American hops. Just dense with resin, no malt here at all. It's like sticking your nose into a fresh cut Christmas tree. Maybe there's a little citrus, but no malt still. This, too me, smell's pretty quintessentially American Barleywine, and while that may be perfect, I'm not going to give a five because I would like to see more malt. Personal opinion, meet professional judging. 4.5/5

T: Here I can agree with this beer a little more. I get more of a malt backbone, though really see a lot of similarities between this and an IPA. Still got those big piney American hops, though the citrus is even more evident here than in the nose, especially along the edges of my tongue where it manifests in a biting bitter taste. I guess I really would like to see some more caramel malts out of this creature though, because I get none. I mean I can tell there is malt in here, but that's as much from the feel as from the flavor. Flavor I'd like to taste some carmelized or nutty grain tastes for sure, and I don't get that even as it warms. 4/5

M: Big, bold, beautiful, this beer really fills up the palate and the whole mouth, and reminds you why they call them barleywines. If the judgment was on feel alone, I'm not sure I could really tell the different between a well made barleywine like this and a lighter wine like Pinot Noir. 5/5

D: The first few sips are a little biting while your tongue gets used to it, and the nose can be a little overpowering, but all in all, drinkability is about what you would expect from a Barleywine. I think I'll pick up another few of these for a little aging. 4/5

mdwalsh, Feb 14, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. A dark amber color with hints of ruby in it as well, that is very hard to see though. Has a nice thick off-white head, that dissipates fairly slowly leaving clumps of head and great lacing down the glass.

Nothing huge stands out in the smell, but there are good hints of hops, with citrus and pine in the forefront, as well as some alcohol. Not a huge amount of nose, a little disappointing. The taste has a good amount of citrus and pine, with the hop flavor dominating. There is also a good amount of malts, blending very well. The aftertaste is very bitter, and the alcohol is noticeable as well. This beer also finishes very well.

The mouthfeel is very smooth at first, almost creamy, but the carbonation comes out at the end, finishing fairly dry. The drinkability is great as well. Even with the high ABV, I could put a few of these down without noticing it until later.
Overall a great brew, slightly disappointing in the aroma, but everything else is great, just what I accepted.

zimm421, Feb 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

(Numerical score reflects 2009 vintage, as it was the better of the two I've had, and you can age the 2010 if you so please)

12oz bottle into a wine glass. 2010 vintage.

Appearance: Moderate pour yields a 1/3 inch frothy, yellowish-white head that dissipates steadily. Beer is an almost fully opaque dark amber. Head and beer leave good lacing. (4.0)

Smell: At first all I get is a sugary and faint smell of fruit (white raisin, maybe some kind of berry). There's some melon there too. Gradually some floral hops come out, then it mellows into a semi-strong herbal, hoppy aroma. The herbal and sugary notes remain until the end. (4.0)

Taste: Similar to the smell, with a much bigger hop bite. At first the flavors are a bit difficult to differentiate, but the sips go: vague sugary/fruitiness, big bitter hop punch, weak malty/dry finish. As it warms, citrus hops become very present up front, and the malt finish deepens into some sugary cake-like flavors.

The malt flavors aren't anywhere near as deep as those of many other American barleywines, but they taste good. The interaction of the huge, DIPA-like hops and the malt is very impressive; more of a marriage of the two than a journey from one to the other.

As the beer warms, the bitterness starts to build up and the finish gets very dry and almost sour. Some dark fruit notes come out, and the sweet malt mirrors the smell almost exactly. Alcohol is not a huge factor in the taste at all.

This was the last bottle of my 6-pack, and it was also the one that delivered the most complex and satisfying flavor. I'm thinking that perhaps I needed to get used to the hop assault, though I did still find the depth of the malt to be lacking. Would be very interested to taste this beer with a couple years on it. (4.0)

Mouthfeel: Pretty carbonated and bitter. Kind of heavy and sticky, yet finishes dry. Not bad, but not particularly pleasant either. (3.5)

Drinkability: For its ABV, the alcohol is not aggressive at all. On the one hand, I think I'd normally rather a great DIPA or a deeper, maltier barleywine. On the other hand, the chances of me picking up a few more 6packs of this before it's off the shelves are high. (4.0)

I guess Bigfoot is an excellent American barleywine if what you're looking for is a DIPA with a little more malt backbone than most. Myself, I want an American barleywine to be a hop assault with deep, lush malty/caramely flavors that are big enough to contend with the hops. Nonetheless, it's a quality beer that I'll happily drink again.

---

2009 vintage, poured into a wine glass. Reviewed June 29, 2010.

Appearance: Pours a dark, hazy reddish amber, with decent lacing and a bonewhite, steadily dissipating head. Same as fresh.

Smell: Piny, grassy, herbal hops and some caramel and raisin. Nice.

Taste: Very rich, but still retains a surprisingly strong hop bitterness. Lots of caramel and dark fruit (raisin)... these are the big malt flavors I was looking for when I had this beer fresh. It's recognizably the same beer as when it's fresh, but remarkably deeper; a year has done way more to the flavor than I expected (I just thought the hops would fade and it might get a little sweeter). Beautiful smoky raisin and caramel flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, not quite creamy, a tiny bit sugary. Moderate carbonation. The dryness is gone.

Drinkability: The high alcohol content is still nowhere to be found, but now huge, beautiful barleywine flavors are coming out to play with the still resonant hops.

I had no idea time would treat this beer so well... I guess that's what everyone was talking about. I didn't intend to rereview this beer, but from the first sip of a 2009 bottle I was strongly won over, and felt I should update my lukewarm (though already positive) review. I would bet this beer is at its best with about 2 years on it. I know I'll be searching around for some 2010s to put away for awhile.

Pahn, Feb 13, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Bigfoot 2010.

Pours a cherry brown with a creamy and frothy light khaki head. Clumps of sticky lacing. Smell is not very strong initially, but as it warms it smells of sticky, resiny, piny hops, and big booze. Subtle grapefruit notes. Taste is candy sugar sweet, nutty, caramel malt, honey, piercingly sharp, herbal, piney hop bitterness, and....booze. Don't get me wrong, I love hops. But this bitterness is overtly astringent and the alcohol is all over the place, making this one hot mess. Mouthfeel is medium/full bodied, syrupy, and overly carbonated. Sweet and cloying. Palate fatigue sets in about halfway through. You taste every decimal of this 9.6% ABV. You could have told me it was more and I would have believed you.

beavers, Feb 12, 2010

Appearance: Pours a pretty, amber and peach toned mahogany with about a finger of somewhat persistent head, and very nice lacing. Leaves a creamy layer of foam just across the top of the brew for the entire time it sits out.

Smell: biscuity and malty, with hints of toffee and caramel.

Taste: Overwhelmingly hoppy, with malts and other sweet notes in the background just about entirely covered up. I would love to see what some age would do for this one. As it warms, the hop tastes are still huge, but the sweetness comes out a bit more, and it goes down cool with a spearmint taste.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation. Medium bodied and goes down smooth like a light syrup. Low carbonation levels work very nicely here.

Drinkability: This one is good here, but the strength and bitterness of the hops makes it one to sip.

afausser, Feb 12, 2010
4.15/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. to pint glass. 2010.

This beer is deep dark mahogany in color. Opaque. Finger and a half cream head. Lacing left behind on every sip, crazy. Truly incredible looking.

Toffee, caramel, brown sugar and some floral hops. Fairly sweet, and a little booze as well.

Tastes of sweet caramel and toffee up front. Some burnt brown sugar. Bitter hops on the way out.

This beer is full bodied and slightly syrupy. It had medium carbonation and has a nice burn and bite at the end.

Impressively drinkable.

billshmeinke, Feb 10, 2010

2010 edition

I am jealous. Flat out. After brewing an american style barleywine, and getting no where close to this beer, I'd say its one of my favorate of its style.

A: A filtered-looking amber color, almost orange in light. Nice body on this beer, but not overcarbonated. Very nice sustained thin head.

S: A nice boozy alcohol smell, with some candy and plenty of malt. I can almost smell the munich malt in this beer.

T: Incredible, and very complex. A nice malty, sweet taste upfront. Plenty of alcohol. A sharp bitterness from the hops, but the taste is very balanced. Not a huge hop presence, but its there. Sweet but very dry for a barleywine. Soooo balanced overall.

M: Huge, chewy mouthfeel, very smooth despite the large abv. goes down nice and easy, but there is plenty of body.

D: The alcohol is there, and doesn't let you forget it. It lingers on your palate long after you sip the beer. The beer is smooth enough, and "digestable" by belgian standards, but you can't sit there and down these, that's for sure. one or two and call it a night. Unless you are paying for a cab.

Ricelikesbeer, Feb 10, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2009 Bottle

A-pours a creamy light tan colored head that has some fair retention. the beer is a nice slightly hazed orangish red color with some bubbles rising to the top.

S-the nose is quite nice and brings a lot of malt up front backed with a nice hop profile. carmalized brown sugar and hints of caramel hit the nose first. the hops come in next with citrus and resignous pine hop

T-the taste is quite big and balanced. the caramel malts and brown sugar hit hard first and are back with big hops. lots of pine and notes of citrus. the finish brings a hop bitterness that isn't seen often in barleywines especially after a year of aging.

M-this is quite smooth and perfectly carbonated. lightly syrupy as it coats the mouth.

D-super tasty barleywine, big hop profile to balance a huge flavored beer. Another great Sierra Nevada offering. Can't wait to try it fresh as well as with a fair amount of age on it. I imagine this is two completely different beasts fresh and with a few years. Sets up an awesome beer to vertical!

cpetrone84, Feb 10, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

2010 vintage, poured into a Unibroue tulip.

Burnt umber body emanates a warm rosy glow. A thick tall cream-colored head recedes to a rich collar and a panoply of large bubbles.

Monstrous, pine-heavy aromatics annihilate any subtleties. There is a bready caramel malt undercurrent as well, but it fights a losing battle. Assertive C-hops though not overly sharp or punishing.

Forest floor, fresh rain, and wet loam lead you down a path to the mid-palate, where a slumbering storm of grapefruit, granola, orange pith and scalded brown sugar await. The bitterness grows and grows, like a scotch-bonnet time-bomb hidden in a mild salsa. Sweet, but dry and somewhat woody overall.

Rich, nearly full-bodied, with muscular carbonation.

All in all, my favorite beer from Sierra Nevada...

augustgarage, Feb 09, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I'm snowed in indefinitely. I guess I'll drink a barleywine.
2009 vintage

A: dark amber, effervescent, with 2 inch head that fades slowly and leaves a nice sticky lace trail

S: alcohol, citrus, hops, malt, pine

T: A blast of big hops followed by heavy, sweet malt, this beer runs the gamut on your palate. Sweet, hoppy, sticky, citrus, alcohol, woody? This is quite a complex beast. What an intriguing brew. The flavors are blended nicely, but there's no getting around the alcohol uppercut that is delivered effectively with every drink.

M: Sticky sweetness coats the mouth. The clinging alcoholic aftertaste is quite drying. Carbonation is spot on.

D: I believe this beer improves with age, becoming mellower and more drinkable, without sacrificing the major taste components that make this beer such a treat.

Huhzubendah, Feb 09, 2010
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.