Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
abecall98

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Pulled out a 2008 Vintage Bottle, my friend had purchased me a 6 pack for christmas. Thank you Ebingen.

A - Very Very dark amber color. Barely able to see through it. The head poured a nice 1/4 inch, and lacing is very good.

S - Hops, slight malt, and almost a forest pine aroma.

T - First few tastes are rough. Very Very hoppy. As I continue to drink it, it becomes easier to drink. The hops become enjoyable as you drink.

M - Very rough. Slight carbonation. Mouthfeel, along with rough drinkability lowers the score, as well as the amount you can sip on in one gulp.

D - The lowest aspect in my opinion. Definately not more than one a night, and very hard to drink quickly. Every sip does not instantly make me want more, like my other favorite beers.

If they 2009 version is easier to drink, I will be very pleased with this beer overall.

01-06-2009 01:52:35 | More by abecall98
mdcrouser

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Welcome to HopFest - your host, Sierra Nevada. Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale 2008.

Originally enjoyed 03/21/08, updated 02/05/09 with a cellared bottle. This beer is captured within a brilliant red-brown cylinder, topped by a lasting creamy white head. With lacing around the edges of the glass, this is an attractive beer.

It quickly unveils a fully uplifting blast of fat, chewy hops that rolls smoothly over the tongue like a velvet carpet unfurling across a room. Holding it on the tongue is like slow-smoking a marshmallow, allowing it to melt in your mouth. Once it moves to the back of the throat, a mild fruitiness takes over, pushing against the inside of your mouth, big enough that it's seemingly searching for a way out. That escape comes upon first exhale and return inhale.

Impressively good. Cellaring one for a later enjoyment.

In the past year, it has mellowed, with the fruitiness completely mellowed, becoming even more velvety smooth. Stewing in its own juices has done good things for this beer. Not sure that I like it any better than last year, but it's at least as good.

03/21/12
2012 version, with a six pack purchased to enjoy one per year over the next five years. This is my only one of 2012.

Big head upon the pour, settling down only after a few minutes. That's a long wait to finish pouring. Once complete, the head is sturdy and tan, leaving thick rings, with a glowing orange/red beer beneath.

Fresh with hops and a malty backbone - the nose is big, but still seems very "new."

While smooth, creamy and incredibly enjoyable, there is a sharpness coming from the hops that comes through spicy and very forward. It then closes sticky and a bit smokey.

Really enjoyable and I'm looking forward to learning how it develops in the coming years.

02/22/13
2012 version, pulled from the fridge the day after the biggest snowstorm to hit KC in our lifetime dumped 12" on us, I'm worn from shoveling and this sounded like as good of a cure as any.

The head holds fast at about an inch, capping that beautiful glow.

The nose seems to have mellowed a bit - less pungent, but still every bit as big.

The spiciness noted last year leveled out some too, more smoothly ascending into the mildly spicy hops and smoked maltiness.

Such a lovely drinker - warming, fulfilling, bridging the gap between winter and spring.

01-02-2009 02:44:41 | More by mdcrouser
ncstateplaya

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

This review is for a 2007 bottle, I decided to let a couple rest for a year, unfortunately one of the bottles went bad.

Appearance: Deep amber with a nice finger thick, creamy colored, sudsy head. The head quickly dissipates into a foam sheen (too thin to be a sheet) across the surface. Tons of extremely fine particulates in suspension.

Smell: The smell seemed dark and dangerous. There is a sudden rush of alcohol and esters. I would say malts were the second most abundant...actually pretty sweet smelling. And there was a subtle aroma of hops...just enough to let you know they were there. There was a faint smell of raisins.

Taste: This beverage is truely rich and loaded with toffee like flavors and dark brown sugars. It was a little more bitter than I had expected based my perception of the hoppy aroma. I thought the finish was caramel like and that the alcohol was very well hidden.

Mouthfeel: It was very smooth with just enough carbonation to notice. I would say a medium bodied drink with an almost mouth turning bitter finish, however it left my cheeks and the roof of my mouth feeling oily.

Drinkability: As barleywines go, I was a virgin and didn't know what to expect. I can see this as a sipper on a cool fall evening, but its not exactly what I look for in a brew. I will keep my mind open on the barleywine, and for drinkability I will turn to the masses. I do know that everything mellows out and is quite enjoyable at @ 50 or so.

12-31-2008 13:50:03 | More by ncstateplaya
LilBeerDoctor

Reviewed on 2/21/08. 2008 bottle. Pours dark red with a very small head. Lots of hops in the initial taste, but then the malt takes over in the finish, leaving a sweet taste in your mouth. Very good, very drinkable even for a 9.6%.

Update 5/28/08: 2006 edition found randomly at CBM! I'm not sure how well this bottle was stored because it may have shown some signs of oxidation. Aroma of dark fruits and raisin. Initial flavor of alcohol, dark fruits, and a bitter finish. The hops and malt don't mesh well here. Some malt goodness I noted in the 2008 came out at the very end of the glass. So to sum- not sure if this particular bottle was stored well or if that's how aged Bigfoot is supposed to taste, but I didn't really care for the 2006. I didn't change my original rating though.

Update 8/15/08: Had another 2006 vintage. Lots of apple skins, sweet malt, with a slightly bitter finish. I have concluded now, after having had other aged barleywines, that this bottle has been stored properly and that this is how aged Bigfoot is supposed to taste. Therefore, I conclude that I am not much of a fan of aged barleywines. Fresh only, please!

Original rating: 8/4/8/4/16 (4.0/5)

Update 2/12/09. 2009 bottle. Aroma is quite hoppy (citrus) with some caramel and cracker malt in the background. Flavor is largely caramel malt with sweet fruits. A touch of floral hops in the finish. Heavy palate but drinkable.

12-29-2008 19:18:11 | More by LilBeerDoctor
schroederm

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

served in a tulip, labeled as 2006 and drank in late 2008, making it 2 or 3 years old.

a - pretty murky ruby color. nice head that held a lot better in a standard glass than the tulip i poured it in.

s - wow. this hits like a train. i took points off because it was so strong i got lost in the aromas. definite honey, fruity, quite sweet.

t - striking. wonderful (and perhaps overwhelming) sweetness at the start that took me a while to figure out: i believe it's currant. finished with a pleasant bitterness reminiscent of grapefruit.

mf - rich! creamy, interesting. not very carbonated, but it doesn't matter too much.

d - this is not the kind of beer i could drink a lot of. finishing the bottle to myself would have been difficult, to be honest.

12-27-2008 23:26:24 | More by schroederm
DrMalt

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Vertical tasting of 2005; 2006; 2007 & 2008.

Enjoyed this beer many times before but finally assembled a vertical tasting of different vintages.

I couldn't find many differences between the 05 & 06. The hop bitterness has mellowed in comparison to the 07 & 08.

All vintages had similar color, head & lacing. Aromas were more subdued in 05 & 06.

Although I enjoyed the 05 & 06 I think the 08 has high potential for a winner in years to come. Luckily I bought a six pack of the 08's.

I expected more variance in the tastes of each vintage but was equally impressed with how well the earlier vintages had retained or even improved on their flavours.

A long time favourite of mine & now I can attest to its ability to continue to be a solid beer.

12-27-2008 18:51:49 | More by DrMalt
alovesupreme

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

2006 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot- at least 2 years old.
Pours with a brilliant head white head. Murky light orange in appearance with sediment floating in the body.
Lots of hops, citrus, pine, caramel, and alcohol.
Grapefruit and pine from the large amount of hops.Caramel and many other flavors as well as alcohol are in the mix.
Good carbonation with a syrupy mouthfeel throughout.
A great barley wine. I am happy it was 2 years old but I think it would be even better if it was a little older.

12-27-2008 05:58:41 | More by alovesupreme
cpn920

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This was my first venture into a Barleywine Style and I have to say I'm not a fan based on this first encounter. It poured a nice golden brown/orange color with a modest head. Smelled very piney and citrusy. I didn't care for the taste. It seemed overly bitter but that may be the style and I haven't acquired the taste for it yet. It also seemed oily with not a ton of malt to it. I wouldn't want to drink another in the same sitting but I am looking to try the style to see if it was just this particular SN or if it is my lack of appreciation for the style.

12-24-2008 00:48:51 | More by cpn920
6stringfunk

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Dark amber - orange light brown. One finger head with good lacing.

S - Aroma is hops and some alcohol. got malt aromas as beer warmed. The nose on this beer lets you know this is a big beer.

T - flavor is hop and bitterness with a good malt backbone. Citrousy. Grapefruit.

M - Good carbonation and solid body but not syrupy at all.

D - this is a big beer in everyway. Big on hops. Not one I could drink a lot of, but considering the abv that's not necessarily a bad thing.

12-23-2008 03:37:04 | More by 6stringfunk
cvfish

Louisiana

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

A - poured a cloudy brown color that produced a fluffy white head that disappeared and left a modest lacing around the glass

S - some hops and tart citrus tastes

D - good malts tastes to it, and a hoppy mix to it, some pine nut and grassy taste

M - thick bodied, almost like syrup with some carbonation

D - although this is not the best barleywine i have had, it is pretty good

12-22-2008 23:51:50 | More by cvfish
jpiper

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle at below cellar temperature.

A dirty, unclear brown pour with a modest head which quickly dissipates to a swirly lace.

The aroma is a bit subdued - perhaps too cold. Dried fruits as expected: raisins, cherries. A bit of medicinal smell - somewhat like a cherry cough syrup: not the best mental association.

Wow - the flavor is too much - way too much. Not at all balanced or integrated. There's malt, fruit, bitter hops - but too much bitter, not enough fruit, and way too much alcohol for the ABV. Wow, second sip comes right back with the intense bitter hops. The malt is still there, but I just don't like how it all comes together. It does get better with more sips. And it does least a pretty nice aftertaste after about a minute or so.

Tough to get past the unbalanced taste when getting to the mouthfeel, but independently, it's pretty nice. Thick, but not cloying.

Drinkability is pretty low here. A sipper, and it'll be tough to get through the entire bottle of this.

People say this cellars like a champ. I can see the possibility. I think I may pick up a handful of these and let them site. We're talking at least 3 years, though. Maybe I'll get 12 and try them every 2 years. For the next 2, it won't be tough to keep my hands off them!

12-19-2008 03:20:40 | More by jpiper
malcontent

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

2008 Edition, one year later.

Into a goblet, this barleywine sports a far more impressive head than I would have guessed. The caramel-colored body is clear as crystal and the lacing is sticky and generous.

Holy Hell, is that a hoppy barleywine! Big grapefruit up front with deeper tones of dried apricots and rum.

Just a huge malty body here and it had better be; the hops are even more aggressive. Citrus-y to an extent but more pine-driven than anything with rich caramel sweetness hidden below. Raisin undercurrents and spice surface before being buried beneath a closing avalanche of grapefruit pith hop bitterness. Yum.

Carbonation is contained but not to the extent where this becomes a listless, syrupy mess like so many others. The finish is understandably resiny, given all the hops. I'd almost like to dock it points due its deviation from the traditional English barleywine, but I guess this is the one that established the American style as a separate category. Worth the wait.

12-16-2008 21:55:58 | More by malcontent
magictrokini

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Tastes nothing like other Sierra Nevada brews. Dark ruby pour with an oily ring for a head. Dense aroma of alcohol with hops and caramel. Viscous, oily mouthfeel. Pine, wood, and resin with alcohol and some malt in the taste. Good barleywine-style beer, almost up to Stone's Old Guardian and AleSmith's Old Numbskull.

12-16-2008 17:47:24 | More by magictrokini
WakeandBake

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Notes 9/7/08
2008.Medium brown in color,small head that faded quite quickly and left a slight laceing on the side of the glass.Hoppy aroma with a slight wine like nose as well.The taste was intense with an abundance of flavors coming through,the main flavor being floral hops,and sweet malt,rasins,brown sugar. A nice balance of sweet and bitter.Kind of a long drawn out finish. Very drinkable,even if it did kick my ass.

12-14-2008 22:41:44 | More by WakeandBake
usmittymc

Mississippi

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

2008 vintage poured into a Duvel glass.

A: Cloudy dark amber in color with a tight tan colored head that sticks around.

S: Sweet malty notes are dominant on the nose. Dark fruits and doughy aromas as well.

T: Sweet maltiness hits the palate at first. A bitter hop bite and some hot alcohol hits during and after the swallow. A bitterness lingers on the tongue.

M: Pretty sturdy. Almost chewy. Gets smoother as it warms and turns into a very enjoyable brew.

D: One is plenty, as with most barleywines. At least IMO. This is a fine example and I will definitely try again.

12-13-2008 04:02:21 | More by usmittymc
BeenJammin

Kansas

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Big Foot pours a deep amber/hazy copper color. It has a fairly small head but it hold the head for a long time. The aroma is some fruitiness, caramel, chocolatey, toffee types. It has a very rich, caramel malt background. It has a nice piney hop flavour and bitterness to it and it definitely has some booze taste to it as well. The mouthfeel is very thick and it goes down slick. It is dangerously drinkable.

12-11-2008 05:00:01 | More by BeenJammin
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Obtained from Trinity BP, bours orange/amber with a finger of sand colored head. Good head retention & insane lacing

S: Doughyness & piney hops

T: Piney & herbal hops, dryness, plus booze smack & whisper of caramel up front. Cakeyness, resiny hops, & pineyness as this warms. finishes with a bit of boozey tangerine, apricot, pine sap, grapefruit & dryness

MF: Chewy, moderate carbonation, skews hoppy, true to style. Stickyness & warming booze show as this warms

Drinks alright, if you don't like a hop smack, stay way, otherwise I'm good for a few points before getting sleepy.. I believe I prefer the bottled version, but would never say no to this hairy beast!

Serving type: growler

12-06-2008 04:48:50 | More by russpowell
bheilman

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

I love the color of this beer. It also tastes good. I just had a green flash barley wine and that set the new standard for me. This is nice and I have been very satisfied with Sierra Nevada, but it didn't live up to that standard. It has a good maltiness, but the hops hits a bit hard. Maybe the combination isn't quite right for me. It leaves a little too much of a sour flavor in my mouth. The alcohol doesn't really stand out, so that's nice, and in general it's definitely a solid beer.

Just drank another one forgetting that I already reviewed this beer and my opinion is about the same, read if you'd like:

This beer tastes very fresh. I'm aging it a bit hoping it will mellow. The appearance is a nice dark golden color, but the head was a bit thinner than I would like. It does have a very nice hoppish smell. The taste is too bitter for me. Almost like sucking on a lemon and that is why I mentioned I hope it mellows a bit. It's definitely a unique flavor and probably the hoppiest barleywine I have ever had. I just want the malt to show some backbone. The aftertaste is ok and the flavor does stir around for a while. It's not so drinkable given the extreme bite and the high alcohol. Definitely a unique barleywine, but not my favorite. I like the label.
Had another one from the same batch.

This beer has been in my "cellar" for at least 10 months. I am comparing it directly to a Stone Old Guardian. It is darker, but fairly clear and a nice whisky colored ruby brown. The smell is great with a sweet hoppy scent stronger on the hops. The taste is good, but definiteyly hop intense. I thought that would relax after months, but it is still the initial flavor that hits you. The after taste is good becuase the hops finally starts to drop and you get the smooth sweetness of the barley to shine through. The beer isn't entirely that drinkable. It is too hoppy. I like a hoppy beer, but given the intense hops and the high alcohol, I can't handle more than one.

12-04-2008 00:14:54 | More by bheilman
PhxHorn

Arizona

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

This was a 2007 version, aged for a year and then given to me in a trade. The color is an orange-brown, cloudy, with a quarter-inch of tan head. Smells of caramel, figs, malt. Tastes of all those, plus some berries I can't quite place, some Xmas candy-type flavors, a trace of hops, grapes, maybe some apple and pear, too. Lots of flavor going on. Not real intense, but complex and enjoyable. Carbonation was just right. Not a beer you can drink quickly--this took me an hour to sip my way through it. But a damn fine beer, to be sure.

12-02-2008 04:20:10 | More by PhxHorn
sprucetip

Alaska

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

25th Anniversary Expedition, 2007

Bottle into Midnight Sun goblet

Medium amber, very clear. Modest tan head with some retention and lacing.

Sweet, malty, and hoppy scents blend delightfully and in balance. the booze is noticeable.

Deep, rich blend of alcohol, malt and hops. Very well balanced.

Low carbonation, some modest warming, full bodied, creamy texture with bitter, dry finish.

This big, bold, winter ale is quite smooth. It has a very nice hop element that balances the malt. This is clearly not a session beer, rather one to sip, savor and share.

This is a great beer. I especially like the hop contribution to the style.

11-27-2008 02:40:56 | More by sprucetip
BWH3

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Deep copper with a medium to large off white head which contains just a glimmer of orange. The beer has a fair amount of gas flowing on the pour. The head lasts and finally settles as a juicy ring. Only deductions for lack of clarity with its chill haze. This was overridden by the depth and majesty of the copper color. Furthermore, a swift swirl of the glass reveals the viscosity and the legs in this ale.

S: As you would expect from the Chico brewing company, big big citrus hops wallop the nose in this bouquet. As the beer warms and with some agitation the other resinous hops aromatics arise. The caramel malts are palpable but not as prominent as the hops. Bold and simple but all the elements are properly represented. The hops could show more elements to earn higher marks.

T: The tasting begins with a mild creamy caramel sweetness to set the palate up for the bitterness to follow. The bitterness begins as a earthy and mineral dull bitterness that slowly sharpens and mutates into the citrus and resin flavors so prominent in the nose. The alcohol warms the belly. The flavors are not as big as the aroma, nor do they have a complexity deserving the highest rankings. None the less very good.

M: Creamy, good head retention, a touch on the gassy side for style. Full bodied and exceptional texture on the palate.

D: Perhaps the best beer from Sierra Nevada. Overall, a widely available and very good example of the barleywine style. Cheers.

11-24-2008 22:43:02 | More by BWH3
hoppheadIPA

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

This is my first barleywine so I really have nothing to compare it to but let me tell you, I'll be trying a whole lot more after having this. Pours a golden amber with a nice head that dissapated quickly leaving some lacing. Has very strong smell of hops, some malt, and citrus in the backround. Tastes very strong but alcohol is hidden by the bitterness balanced with malt and hops. Nice and thick in the mouth with good carbonatin. Excellent beer but don't have more than 1 or 2 givin the strong alcohal content.

11-20-2008 10:28:31 | More by hoppheadIPA
kels

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

2008 edition poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Great variation in the opaque coloring from reddish brown to honey gold with a tight 1 1/2-finger head in a frothy toast color. Head dissipates quickly, but leaves giant rings of lacing behind as I drink.

Smell: The first thing I note is the heavy, chewy maltiness in the smell. It is sweet caramel with toasty graininess that suggests a thicker, richer taste. Brightening notes from the hops and a really fruity presence - citrus, and a berry-like note - add to a definitely complexity that I can't claim to fully decipher.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The alcohol is humongous in this beer - more so than in some other really well-rated barleywines I've tried. It is a little overwhelming to the rest of the tastes, so much that I have trouble separating them from the alcohol's sharp dryness. The clear taste is a big bitter hop presence - citrusy and bitter grapefruit and orange peel taste with some sappy, dry pine in the aftertaste. The previously noted smells of the caramel malts are barely detectable in the taste in comparison to the hops, but do provide a syrupy baseline to the overall taste. The mouth is a heavy medium with a very sticky finish and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Phew, I'm not even halfway through, and I can already feel my cheeks getting red and my body relaxing:) I definitely couldn't do more than one of these every once in a while. The stickiness and uber-present alcohol would keep me from coming back to this one too often.

11-20-2008 01:16:06 | More by kels
seedsofchaos

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Found a half-decent liquor store called The Red Top down in Herrin here, thanks to a buddy of mine: Hap, here's to you. Not a big selection of craft singles (sic lol) but definitely a NICE selection of 4 and 6 packs. Picked up a 6pack of the Bigfoot 25th Expedition and was fairly impressed.

A: Great appearance. Pours a deep reddish-brown amber color. Great head and superb lacing. Head left a lead too soon, but was a nice khaki color and very fluffy.

S: Interesting and complex. Floral hoppy scent.

T: Comes on sweet and leaves strong and malty. Strong aftertaste that is a little harsh for my palette.

M: Medium bodied. A little thick. Decent carbonation.

D: Enjoyable. My first barleywine so I don't have too much to say about the drinkability. I have 4 more of these left in the pack and am sure me and my roomie will enjoy them thoroughly!

11-19-2008 02:00:28 | More by seedsofchaos
BigMcLargeHuge

Arizona

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

2006 vintage sampled April 23, 2006. Thick light tan head deep clear copper color. Aroma is on the light side with malts, spice, alcohol and hops showing up in that order. First sip is a thick syrupy flow of fluid into my mouth. Malt flavor attacks the entire tongue. This beer is full body and full flavor that you can sink your teeth into. Some bitterness and warm alcohol finish. Doesn't seem as good as '05 or '04 versions.

Bottle from 2004 consumed July 24th, 2006. Murky amber color with off white to tan-ish head. Strong fruity aroma with hints of malt and a bit of alcohol. Excellent lacing. Yum, thick rich mouthfeel. The caramel flavor really jumps out at you. The fruitiness has faded away over time. I'm left with a very nice toffee after taste. Wow, real smooth with faint alcohol taste hidden away. The remaining hops are tough to make out as they've really mellowed from what they once were. Very good. I'll certainly have to cellar more of this stuff.

11-17-2008 21:33:42 | More by BigMcLargeHuge
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.