Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
Strix

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Cracking a 2006 expedition.

Gorgeous clear red-amber color with thick lasting head.
Smell is packed with hops. Taste is WOW! There is so much going on with the taste. Full of hops, with orange, malt, spice, pine, and grapefruit flavors. Really complex and tasty. Reminiscent of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with more complexity and a serious hop kick. I don't remember what the other bottles tasted like, but the aging couldn't have hurt this. Mouthfeel smooth but dense and the alcohol is noticeable and warming. A nice brew.

09-19-2007 02:36:01 | More by Strix
zeff80

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2006 edition

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a small, tan, one-finger head. Left nice rings of lace.

S - It smelled of Cascade hops. Also, some citrusy notes. A good dose of malt aromas, too.

T - It tasted of spices. A nice sweet caramel maltiness. Some fruit flavors, too.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A heavy-bodied beer with a warm alcohol presence.

D - This is a very good barley wine. But it is very strong and requires some slow sippin'.

09-14-2007 22:15:12 | More by zeff80
pmcadamis

A - A very solid looking finger and a half of orangish-tan cream rises above a deep crimson blood-red amber brew that lets only a little light through. An enormous amount of gorgeous dry lace sticks to the glass, and the lace shows some flecks of orange too. Ok, it came to me...the head and lace are the color of the inside of the orange rind! Swirling deposits a huge amount of perfectly arced lace around the glass, and builds the head up to a full finger and a half again. The head shows outstanding retention for such a high ABV beer.

S - I could smell the mandarin orange hops before I put my nose in the glass, and that aroma only intensifies with my schnoz fully inserted cheek-deep into the glass. Has a lot of DIPA aromas, but with a dirtier malt aspect. Big sweet juicy mandarin oranges....real, not canned. Some piny aspects show the SN DNA, but this is all about hoppy sweet-citrus fruit aromas. I also smell some round sour cream notes that remind me of Orval. The malts are all fresh sweet bread with peanut butter and light caramel notes too. As it warms I get some dark fruits too, and it also becomes much more complex and boozy with warmth. I could sniff this all day. This has single malt quality aromatics.

T - Oh! There's the complexity I was looking for! Dirty, earthy, gritty, tobacco, and scotch malt grabs my attention straight away, then dark fruit and caramel in the mid-palate. Lots of hoppy citrus overlays the darker fruits, but doesn't distract from them. It's almost like singing row-row-row-your-boat and then somebody else starts singing brother-john-brother-john before you've finished...it's that complex! I also taste hints of sourdough bread, pumpernickel, sunflower seeds, pine sap, junipery gin and tonic quinine notes, and loads and loads of sweet and bitter citrus and pine (leaning towards the citrus in the beginning and leaning toward pine in the finish). There is a distinct black licorice anise twinge right before the swallow that I didn't notice at first. This is one of the most well put together beers I've ever tasted. Outstanding!

M - Big, fat, plump, full, rich, silky, and boozy. This is one of the fullest mouthfeels I've ever experienced! I can feel sugar, alcohol, and hop oils covering my mouth. The dry bitter and acrid finish reminds me of one of my favorite non-beer drinks....the dry gin martini, but it also has a lot of scotch-like qualities (scotch is another passion of mine...but I really can't afford to drink it with any regularity). This is really, really pleasant, and is pretty much the definition of full-bodied.

D - Screw the 9.6% ABV! I could drink this all day (slowly, and with plenty of water). Outstandingly complex flavors shine like a star, but the nose doesn't really advertise the greatness. A bit more pungency in the nostrils would garner this a perfect 5.0 from this fella.

09-14-2007 05:06:28 | More by pmcadamis
cypressbob

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

350ml, served very slightly chilled in a Dobbelen tulip

2007 Vintage

Pours with a deep rich copper tinged burgandy body. Thick off white head forms about an inch thick soon settling down to a dense centimetre head. Lots of patches of lacing up and down the glass

Smell, rich sticky creamy american hop tinged alcohol, fresh pine and citric hops on the nose, tonnes of lemon and lime citrus. Bubblegum and candy floss, sticky caramel and toffee, rich burnt sugar and a touch of molassess, sweet effervescent alcoholic fumes. A touch of caramel and oaky bourbon aromas also

Taste, slick oily american hops, cascade and centennial overflow the palette with a myriad of juicy citric, bubblegum and piney flavours. Rich bitterness from the hops along with a quinine like finish. Sweet and caramel like malt profile along with some sharp notes of ginger and black onion seeds. Thick rich alcohol, nothing too over the top though considering the abv. Chewy and sticky hops backed up by a thick and crisp malty backbone, yeast dryness on the finish along with a tonne of various hop bitterness.

A big bold and seriously heavily hopped 'barelywine'. This falls into the realms of DIPA in some regards but its still an amazing treat for the taste buds

09-12-2007 23:57:23 | More by cypressbob
saintwarrick

South Carolina

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2007 vintage. Wow, this brew blows the doors off my preconceptions of a barleywine. This is its big fat hoppy neighbor. Pours a dark ruby with a big ol' hopped-up IPA-like head, a stark departure from every other barley wine I have had. Hops and oils hit the nose big time, very piney and slightly astringent, but not to its detriment; behind that it also has some candied fruits soaked in old brandy. Hops show through in the taste, very bitter with an underlying sweetness that almost balances the brew, big alcohol bite hits at the end as is common with this style.

This brew is a big chewy glassful, but definitely a sipper. I love hops, so I may just have to say this is the best barleywine I have had. Wish I could get this more often. Thanks to Bob for the sample.

09-12-2007 07:34:38 | More by saintwarrick
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance - Nice hazy golden orange coloring with thick off white head.

Smell - Hops, pine and malts

Taste - Nice caramel flavors, sour at points wih dry hoppy finish. Also a strong alcohol taste.

Mouhfeel - Chewy with mild carbonation.

Drinkability - This is an awesome beer. I'm gonna buy some more and age them to see if I can taste the differences.

09-09-2007 02:00:50 | More by Beerbuddha
Brad007

Vermont

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Reviewing the 2007 vintage. I also have a bottle of 2006 vintage but I'd rather age that one a while longer.

Pours a brownish-amber color with a one-finger head that doesn't last much long. Aroma is a mix of malt and hops with strong alcohol scent. So far, I think this will be decent.

Taste is hoppy upfront, almost an overload. Fades into a strong alcohol aftertaste with the hops and malt following along. A second sip confirms much of the same. It's still quite strong and hoppy and may need more aging over time.

So far though, I'm enjoying this beer for what it is and I recognize that it needs more aging. Great sipping beer though and reminds me much of 120 Minute IPA in terms of hoppiness and strength.

I like. I'm hoping to age the 2006 vintage for much longer and acquire more of this beer.

09-06-2007 02:20:10 | More by Brad007
Floydster

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle from Chip's Liquor in San Diego

2006 edition

Poured into an old wine glass

This has a good initial sweet bite to it, but I was not a fan of the aftertaste

It would be very hard for me to drink more than one of these as well

It is a heavy, heavy beer

Pours a reddish brown color with a thick head and a strong barleywine aroma

Probably going to buy a vintage pack of these at Stuffed Sandwich next time and try 1997-2003 and see if those have gotten better over time, although ten years might be too long

09-05-2007 16:05:51 | More by Floydster
franksnbeans

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

First time that I tried this I was in college and bought it because of the ABV to get drunk. I thought it was the nastiest beer I had ever had. This is my first one since then and now I love it. This is an '06 I’m trying. Pours out a dark ruby amber with a full head that retains and laces thick all around. Smells of dark fruit, fig, alcohol and hops. Taste is delicious. Ripe plumb, brown sugar and a bang of delicious hops. My face is now comfortably numb, well warm anyways. Mouthfeel is medium with a carbonation presence. I love the hop profile in this brew and it is very drinkable, especially considering the ABV. The 1 year + has done well for this barleywine, the years since college have done well for my palate. Oh how things change.

08-30-2007 05:41:38 | More by franksnbeans
bradford

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

2006 vintage tasted on 8/17/07
I have heard a lot of disapointment from this vintage. But a year old, on tap at Spike's on Higuera downtown San Luis Obispo, this one really hit the spot.
Looked pretty good. Light brown, reddish hue with minimal lacing that dissapated quickly.
Smelled pretty good, above average
Tasted damn good. Smooth, malty but stll very hoppy with that distinctive Bigfoot yeast/malt.
Mouthfeel was good, still hoppy, but very rounded and mature
I had two pints and could have indulged in more if I didn't have to drive home. Very nice. I will be back for more

08-28-2007 08:24:36 | More by bradford
roller

Pours a dark, rusty orange with a small tan head that broke down into a blotchy collar leaving patches of tight lacing on my pint glass. The aroma is spicy, with piney hops and sweet malt. Has a slight fruity smell with a bit of alcohol. Tasted, it has a mellow, malty body with grassy hop bitterness. Alcohol heat becomes more pronounced as it warms. Lightly carbonated with a full body. This is a robust and tasty barleywine and a definite must try.

08-22-2007 02:40:29 | More by roller
markaberrant

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

2007 version

A - clear, dark orange, big fluffy cream head, eventually receds to a cap, some lace

S - hoppy, pine, bitter grapefruit, straight up malt sweetness

T - sturdy caramel sweetness hits the front of the tongue, turns to a bit of sweet and sour grapefruit, then a bitter pine finish.

M - chewy, sticky, creamy, heavy. Fair bit of alcohol warmth. Long dry finish. Perfect for the style.

D - This tastes like heaven in a glass.

Candy for adults... that's what this beer is. It is great fresh or aged, Sierra Nevada really does make a fine product. Oh how I wish the small national brands in Canada (Sleeman, Big Rock, Moosehead) bothered to make good beer like this.

Note: I didn't check my review of the 2005 version before doing this one. Surprisingly, I gave them identical scores... but as I said above, I like this beer fresh or aged.

08-20-2007 01:49:19 | More by markaberrant
DrinkinBuddy

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

This was my first venture into the world of Barleywines. Picked up some vintage 2006 bottles to test the waters. As soon as the cap was popped, I could smell the sweet aromas awaiting to be poured into my glass. Poured a deliciously dark hazy walnut color with nice 2 finger head with massive appeal. The caramel malt and fruity aroma was almost overpowering. Initial taste was incredibly malty with a nice brown sugar-like sweetness and pleasant citrusy bitterness. Mouthfeel is incredible! Thick and chewy, definately an impressive brew. If you can drink a 6er of this, I tip my hat to ya. For me, one and I'm done, a meal in itself. Definately will buy more in the future.

08-10-2007 03:17:37 | More by DrinkinBuddy
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A sort of holy grail, and also a litmus test for drinkers of hoppy barleywines. A personal favorite; I'll try to be objective. 2007 vintage bottle.

Multi finger head with sticky fluffy lacing. Deep red brown color is always attractive. Very nice look for a barleywine.

Very hop-ful aroma, fresh grapefruit sting with a pine background. Also in the nose there is some fruity ester alcohols along with a malt profile of some thickness though not to a JW Lees-extent. All dominated by the oily resin hop swell.

Bitter and hop driven, though to my mind not as astringent as the Celebration ale. Big sweet toasted malt is in there for gravity and balance, there's some light kind of fruitiness and esters. Finish is semi-dry with plenty of warming fusel alcohols.

Great depth, not too thick and syrupy but manages to cram a huge hop content in here and keep delightful sturdiness of body.

It's hard to manage much more than one or two at a time, with the high alcohol content and supreme palate-shredding bitterness. I enjoyed the 2006 vintage this summer on tap alongside a relatively fresh 2007 keg; while the newer obviously flexed its hop muscle a great deal more, both were outstanding, challenging, and impressive ales, with the 2006 being one of the smoothest and richest draft ales I've ever enjoyed. If you think you enjoy today's "big beer" movement, check out a tried and true recipe that shows what high gravity and big hops are all about.

**Update**
2008 vintage

Same oaky color, incredibly sticky and long-lasting head.

Pine hops dominate the aroma of this young barleywine. Plenty of citrus in there as well, also a good amount of sweet caramel malts.

This is just a great flavor. I love the thickness of the malt and the fresh pang of C hops. I was consistently impressed with '06 and '07's hop charge even as they aged, but it is also very lovely brand new.

Drinkability is sometimes a stumbling block, but overall the flavor and craft evident in the Bigfoot is exemplary.

2008 is also highly recommended.

07-31-2007 21:35:55 | More by BretSikkink
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottled in 2007

This beer poured a hazy brown with a ½” tan head which quickly left. The aroma is malty and caramel. There are also some spices noticeable. The taste is hoppy and bitter with spices present. The malt does a good job of balancing the bitterness. The mouthfeel is full, but not heavy. Overall, this is a delightful beer that I’ll be happy to stash away to see how it cellars.

07-31-2007 01:26:27 | More by barefootbrewer
AlephNull

Delaware

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Pours a rich, hazy brown with one finger of thick head, that grabs tightly onto the side of the glass.

S- Nice scent... northwestern hops seemed focused on a cedar-like smell. There's a sweet maltiness beneath it and some alcohol sharpness.

T- Hops in the front are spicey and taste a lot like a an evergreen. Sharp flavor's great. The malt is well balanced. Not a grainy malt... a bit sweeter like a molasses.

M- Fairly thick, but not a chewy or grainy flavor. Barleywines are usually too heavy for me, but this is good.

D- Usually not a huge barleywine fan, but this is still an ale, in the perfect way to make things drinkable. Nice.

07-29-2007 05:12:50 | More by AlephNull
BeerBob

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine Style Ale pours a deep dense chill hazed hazel nut brown, from a dark brown 12 fl oz glass bottle with a twist off cap. Head went to about 2 fingers with a soft pour, before dropping to a light cap with a full ring.

Nose is a major hops with a side of damp malt and not a hint of the 9.6% ABV to come.

Palate is hops, hops, and more hops. I have chewed on hops just by them selves; Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is no different. The taste of this brew is just like chewing on a hand full of hops with a barley malt wash. The 9.6% ABV makes its entrants known with the warm glow that starts in the tummy and works its way outward, numbing everything that it touches.

One big brew for those with a big taste for hops!

07-27-2007 08:49:51 | More by BeerBob
Blupoet03

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

I was pleasantly surprised to find a six pack of Bigfoot at our local liquor store tonight. I quickly talked myself into buying it, even though it was a good four dollars more than I was planning on spending.

It poured a clear amber with a lacy head that dissipated rapidly, but not completely. Immediately, there was the scent of hops and sweetness wafting from the pint glass.

This beer fills the mouth on contact, delivering that hop bitterness from the smell, which comes across as snappy. After the initial bitter, it is sweet and warm, with a little stickiness on the aftertaste along with the alcohol burn.

Overall exceptional beer and worth every penny of extra change.

07-27-2007 02:20:43 | More by Blupoet03
sleazo

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A-Poirs a ruddy resdishe brown with a nice cmall white head. Very red when held up to the light. the head dissipates into a nice slick, correct for style. Nice webs of lacing coat the sides of the chalice.

S-This smells like Sierra Nevada pale Ale of steroids. Those same cascade hops step to the forefront with a mildy sweet malt backbone a a whiff of alcohol

T-Deifnitely more bitter than sweet as befits an American Barley wine. The bitterness remains throughout the wonderful piney essence of northwest hops. some grapefruit as well. The residual caramel/mollases sweetness exists in the follow through but that bitterness and a bit of warming from the alcohol are what you get in the end.

M-Slightly on the thick side with out being too viscous and more carbonation than the typical barley wine.

D-This is probably the second barleywine I ever had after Old Foghorn and I still like it today. the drinkability is so good for a beer of its strength that I have been known to polish off a sixer of this in my younger days. Despite the hops winning the day there is still an overall balance that is appreciated and is rare for the style.

07-25-2007 02:52:51 | More by sleazo
MiguelMandingo

4.15/5  rDev 0%

This was my first barleywine ever, and it made quite a nice impression on me. This is definitely my new favorite from Sierra Nevada. Thanks to BeerZack @ Wiggy's for pointing this brew out.

Poured a 12oz. bottle of 2007 into a snifter.

Appearance – It has a dark translucent garnet color. It has a small off-white head that recedes into a halo at the edges of the glass.

Smell – The smell is all over the place. I can smell hops, citrusy grapefruit, pine, alcohol, spice, and caramel malt.

Taste – Wow. There is so much going on with this brew that it is hard to pinpoint anything. It has a subdued slightly fruity caramel sweet taste to it, but Bitter hops is the flavor that sticks out the most - and there is a lot of it. I detect the sweetness first followed very quickly by the hops. All of the scents contained in the smell are also in its flavor. Highly reminiscent of a DIPA, just fruitier and lots more spice.

Mouthfeel – Slightly oily and thick without being chewy, but definitely thick. An extremely slight alcohol burn from the 9.6% ABV.

Drinkability – For as big a beer as this one is, it goes down amazingly smooth. I have sampled 6% ABV brews that don’t go down like this one. It is still a sipper at 9.6% ABV, but I could easily have another one.

07-17-2007 04:43:38 | More by MiguelMandingo
TheClassical

Delaware

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

I had one of these a while ago, but I saw the 2007 batch on the shelf and decided I needed to try one again. Too bad I only got the one, and not an entire six pack!

From a 355mL/12oz chilled bottle and into a pint glass, the pour is an incredibly rich ruby-orange. The deep copper-brown brew shimmering in the lamplight was very inviting. The head was very nice. It fizzled to a muddled foam after a while with rich veins of lacing down the glass. It makes the glass and the beer look well-enjoyed. The carbonation was steady and slow.

The nose ... how can I describe it? It was very smooth and exciting, and certainly not overpowering, something you might expect in an ale/barley wine that's 9.6% abv. It was an intensely hoppy aroma, and even though the hops are strong on the taste, there is enough malt sweetness in the nose to keep it balanced. In all, I was surprised at just how subdued and low-key the aroma was.

The taste is powerful. An initial impression of alcohol is washed away by a mouthful of hops. The alcohol taste remains, but in a way that is appropriately loud on a beer like this. There is a heady and dry finish that lends well to sipping, which is fine, because this one is too big to drink too quickly.

It's certainly drinkable, but as others have said, you need time to enjoy this beer, and you could plan an evening around a six pack of this stuff. Strong as it is, I would have loved another, so I think it's quite drinkable.

07-16-2007 22:06:30 | More by TheClassical
BrewSomerville

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Aroma: grassy hops, sweet malt, grapefruit... aroma is not very strong; I think that it might have something to do with the lack of effervescence.

Looks: Ruby red/orange/copper-ish colour. Almost no head, just a little around the edges of the glass.

Taste: grapefruit, spicy hops, bitter hops (chinook?), floral, piney. Sweetness from the malt is there at the begining but then steps aside for the hops to take over. Alcohol is well masked considering it is 9.6% ABV. Hops are very bitter in this Beer.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Fine carbonation, similar to that of a naturally conditioned mouthfeel... I don't think that it is though (naturally conditioned).

Overall, it is a good sipping Beer, do not buy this Beer if you don't intend on spending some time with it. A very big Beer in taste. I am used to barleywines with a higher malt-sweetness to hops ratio than this, but this is good too.

07-16-2007 20:22:36 | More by BrewSomerville
wspscott

Kentucky

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

2007 edition: 12oz bottle in pint glass

A: Pours a hazy orangish color, a thin white head just lingers and leaves a nice amount of lace on the glass, more carbonation than I would expect for a barley wine
S: Not piney or citrusy, just massive bitter hops on the nose. Hints of the sweet malts come through on the nose. Smells like a huge american IPA.
T: Bitter hops on the front of the tongue, then a hint of sweetness to help balance things out. There is a hint of citrus in the back but, it is mostly just bitter.
M: More carbonation than I associate with a barley wine but, I like it. This doesn't come across as thick, just hugely malty.
D: This is probably the worlds most a**-kicking american IPA, and I mean that as a huge compliment. I haven't had many american barley wines but the level of hops seems true to style (and taste great). HIghly recommended, I can't wait to slowly drink down this six-pack.

07-13-2007 02:03:06 | More by wspscott
Contra

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

I've reviewed this beer awhile ago, and I'm kind of surprised at the difference in my impressions about this beer. Perhaps because this is the "2007 Edition"? I don't know.

The appearance is fairly good, rosewood color, head around the rim of the glass. A quick whiff of the beer reveals a good, hearty aroma of hops & malt. Unfortunately, I'm just not tasting what I'm smelling. Bitterness is out of control and, I have to suppose, masks those hops & malt. I'm missing that sweet, malty characteristic found in Barleywines. Again, that overwhelming bitterness really takes away from the mouthfeel & drinkability. Now, Barleywines never really have a high drinkability, but in comparison to other Barleywines, the bitterness just doesn't work.

Overall, don't let my review sway you away from trying this beer. My previous review was positive, but I have to be honest in this current review. Whether they changed something in 2007, or the six pack I bought wasn't kept well, I don't know.

To be fair, I'm going to try & get a single bottle of this stuff next time I go to the distributor which allows breaking up of six-packs. I'll amend my review whether or not my impression has changed.

07-10-2007 05:41:46 | More by Contra
trill

Mississippi

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

2007 vintage, poured into an oversized wine glass.

a - poured a dark copper, with a very slight head that tends to hang around for the duration.

s - malty, but, for the style, an exceptional amount (read: a bit) of hops in the nose.

t/m - surprisingly balanced for a barleywine. enough hop presence to stand up to the big malts. this leads me to believe that this one would benefit greatly from sitting for a year or two, to let the hops calm down and the complexities of the malts expand. the mouthfeel is pretty even, with a fair amount of bite from the carbonation/alcohol.

d - overall, a highly drinkable example of the style, which seems well-prepared for cellaring. i've gone through 3 bottles of a six-pack, and i look forward to seeing how the other three age.

07-09-2007 00:30:17 | More by trill
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.