Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
atrus138

Kentucky

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this on-tap and served in a Bavarian pilsner. Deep red/amber color with a somewhat thin and flat head. Lacing like crazy. Looked like cobwebs were stuck all over my glass with even more cobwebs layered on top of them. Amazing. Smell was a huge smack of hops. Citrus and piney. Very aggressive, which is to be expected from a beer of this caliber fresh on tap with no time to mellow out. Taste is very fruity. The hops and the malts are both in abundance, yet balance each other out, making for a flavor bomb. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy so that the flavor sticks around for a while.

Treat this beer with the respect it deserves. This is a MONSTER beer. I followed this up with another huge mythical creature, the Yeti, and was done for the night. I can't wait till the bottles hit the shelves so I can let a few Bigfeet hibernate in my cellar for a few years.

01-23-2008 06:09:13 | More by atrus138
srroos

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

A 12oz bottle dated 2007 picked up recently from Lone Hill Liquor. Tasted in a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Poured a cloudy amber color with a one finger tan head.

S: Lots and lots of piney hops!

T: Lots of bitterness from the hops, giving way to sweetness.

MF: Well carbonated, but slightly syrupy. In this case, the mouth coating syrupy sweetness is part of what keeps me coming back for me.

D: The sweet finish keeps me coming back for more despite the bitter bite. Very drinkable, could have many in one session!

Overall, an excellent brew, and now a staple of my cellar. I bought lots more of this to age alongside Anchor Old Foghorn. Should be interesting as time goes on.

01-16-2008 00:55:10 | More by srroos
hardy008

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Review done over on 3/31/2012.

2012 vintage. Pours a dark caramel color with a 2 finger off white head with good retention and lacing. Just beautiful looking in the glass. The aroma has loads of caramel, citrus, and pine.

The taste is sweet from the caramel, with a little bitterness for balance from the hop and the pine. There is also toffee, and a little bit of citrus zest.

Medium to full bodied, chewy, sweet, with a bittersweet aftertaste, and average carbonation. I have drank this beer before, and not liked it, but can't help but think the previous bottles were bad, or maybe the batch was. This years Bigfoot is very good. If the beer normally tastes like this, no wonder it is so popular.

01-14-2008 02:16:05 | More by hardy008
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

2007 bottle from the cellar preparing for the coming '08 release.

3finger head poured into my New Belgium goblet... perfect cascading lace.. clear deep amber with beautiful red highlites... after a while the head recedes and looks like a dollop of whipped cream atop a glass of cold black tea.

Fairly thick pine and citrus hops with deep caramel malts dominate the nose... quite a bit of fruitiness.

Hop palate rips most of the other flavors to threads.. pine is dominant, but grapefruit is definately a soldier in the fight. Malt sugars are there but are still on the backburner.. caramel and chocolate only come into play after the IBU's die down.. even then, the fruitiness and tongue slaying hops make for a very long finish.

I think of Bigfoot as the perfect body for an ABW.. thick without being cloying.. firm while still enough carbonation to keep the palate moving... very tasty for sure, but it will mellow with some time in the bottle.

The '07 still is pretty raw, I had my last '05 a couple months back, thinking it would be ready.. I was wrong.. Bigfoot can settle down for at least 3 years... I have an '02 and'03 in the cellar; but now have to score another 4 and 5 to complete a 6 year vertical.. I must do it soon... If you can help, beermail me.... I'll make it worth your while.

01-10-2008 09:59:22 | More by JohnGalt1
Slynger

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

This one pours a deep, cloudy, nut brown/amber with deep rosy edges and a creamy tan lid that leaves some amazing lace.
You can smell this thing three feet away, as soon as the bottle is opened. Deep fruity smells of cherry and apple, sweet caramel malts and brown sugar, all along with mild spices brandy.
The taste is lightly sweet and fruity. Red apples lead, but are quickly overtaken by a heavy sweet caramel and roasted malt backbone. A nutty and spicy bitterness rounds this one out with an alcoholic brandy warming.
The mouthfeel is awesome; full and smooth, creamy with soft carbonated bubbles.
A great barleywine that may hinder my plan to age my only other bottle.

01-08-2008 22:49:00 | More by Slynger
sjohansen

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a cloudy (some color in between maroon and brown) dark amber probably bests describes it. No real head to speak of, just a half moon circle that can’t quite make it all the way around the snifter.

First smell is like sticking your head in a feedbag filled with hops. There’s a ton of spice in the nose.

Very BIG, and surprisingly complex. This isn’t a barleywine where they just upped the alcohol, this is an almost perfect 10% abv combination of thick sweet malts, aromatic and spicy hops. The first thing that jumps out at me is the aftertaste. As complex and smooth as it is, it can’t hide the peppery alcohol aftertaste. Sweet on the front of the tongue, heavy chocolate in the center, and sweet berries right before the peppery alcohol. As it warms, the chocolate turned to caramel.

The mouthfeel is very cool for a barleywine, thick and sticky from the malts.

Even though barleywine isn't a favorite style of mine, this one really hit the spot on a cold winter night, and was way more complex then I thought it could at such a high abv.

01-08-2008 01:39:50 | More by sjohansen
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Thanks to HimerMan for the trade.

2007 vintage. Pours into my bigasswineglass a beautiful dark brown cloudy amber color with nice off white almost manilla head. The nose is a nice balance of malt and hops, but hops are slightly more apparent in the nose. This barleywine is a great balance of malt and hops. The hops are not as powerful as I had expected(which is good b/c I am a bigger fan on english style b-wine) Great malty backbone but with hops throughout. I do feel this taste could be stronger though in general. The alcohol flavors are very well hidden. good malt in the middle but a nice hoppy bite at the end. despite that this beer goes down exceptionally smooth. Very nice thick mouthfeel and one of the most drinkable barleywines I have ever had. A great offering from sierra nevada. I compliment them on not going overboard with the hops on this one as I had expected. This will be wonderful after a few years in the cellar. awesome.

01-08-2008 00:07:57 | More by AKBelgianBeast
PhiloPsych

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

2011: Updated the numerical ratings above. The head is very puffy, the color is barleywine. This year I notice a few new wrinkles in the taste: more molasses, some oatmeal and some dark-roasted malt. The hops is in the background, rather subdued compared to past years. The hops profile is grassy, I'd say. As always a great beer; glad it varies from year to year.

2009: Lasting foamy head, clear red-orange color in the glass. Smell is dominated by hops. Typical resiny mouthfeel that I love in this brew. The taste might be a little less sweet than I remember from previous years--a little more skewed toward the hops, thus a little less balanced and little more one-dimensional. Though the color is barleywine, the taste is rather IPA-ish this year. Still delicious, but not as outstanding as last year's.

2008: The head rose up big and foamy and left a nice mousse lacing in the glass. The color was a beautiful deep red. The big hops are balanced wonderfully with big maltiness. I love the sticky finish of this beer! Maybe because it was fresher when I had it, I liked this a lot better than the 2007 brew--and I liked the 2007 brew a lot! This is definitely my favorite beer from Sierra Nevada, my favorite barleywine, and one of my favorite beers full stop.

2007: The color is dark amber as it pours from the bottle and a slightly hazy red-brown in the glass with very little head. The smell is very sweet and malty, but the hops is more pronounced in the taste. Very nice balance of malt and hops! The mouthfeel is slightly syrupy with low carbonation and the finish it quite sticky. This might be the best beer I have had from Sierra Nevada and is definitely one of the best barleywines I have had. It is very drinkable, too. Two or three bottles of this with a nice meal and a rich dessert would make for a great night.

01-03-2008 20:18:37 | More by PhiloPsych
wobblymailman

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Seemed like a good night to open up a 2001 bottle. Poured into a large snifter at apprx. 55 degrees. This one looks great, albsolutely no head. Dark brown in color. I never cease to get a kick out of this stuff. The nose has alot of sherry notes with undertones of currant Most of the hop notes have faded and the malt nose has taken over The taste boast a good amount of rich sweet maltiness. The raw alcahol nose has long since faded. First bigfoot i have had since last March now I remember why I buy five cases of this every year.

01-02-2008 04:02:02 | More by wobblymailman
shadow1961

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

Sierra Nevada's 2007 Barleywine Ale pours a big stiff head
over a slightly cloudy deep amber brew. There isn't a lot of
carbonation, and the nose is dominated by bright citrus/pine
hop aromas. The flavor is big, round, and malty up front, with
brown sugar and caramel notes, with a massive hop finish.
Mouthfeel is full and would be quite sweet were it not for the
massive hop additions, with sort of an astringent, medicial
quality. The aftertaste is more hops, but very firm, grassy, and
long lasting. In my opinion, this brew is weighted a bit more
toward the hops than I like- it seems unbalanced. On the other
hand, at 9.6% alcohol by volume, it should age well, in which
time a lot of that hop will moderate. Young, it's a brew for the
true hophead- if that's you, go for it!

12-18-2007 08:48:57 | More by shadow1961
ksbrainard

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Cloudy dark orange, but brown in the middle. A thin head forms and dissipates before too long, leaving a ring around the edge where the glass meets the beer.

Smell: First whiff is a combination of plums and raisins with a hint of alcohol. There's a background of piney hops, with green apple undertones. It has that whole dark-ale-Barley-Wine malty thing going on.

Taste: This is deeply bitter, and this is accentuated by the increased alcohol. It just numbs the tongue, but in a good way. The malts also manage to stand up well to the hops. Oh wait, this is a Barley Wine. The hops are earthy and piney, and I don't get the big grapefruit I might have expected. Gotta love the unexpected. I can get caramel flavors if I focus, but the overarching concept is on awesome hopness (is that a word? - who am I kidding - no it isn't!) The alcohol flavor plays a role at first, but lets the hops take over as the show moves on to the later acts.

Mouthfeel: This has a nice, full mouthfeel. Now I am not one for a big sticky mouthfeel, so I am glad that the hops (and to a lesser extent the alcohol) dry this one out as it finishes. It sticks around a while, and reminds you of a robust IPA, but for the warmth eminating from within.

Drinkability: First impressions are good, and by the time you reach the bottom of the glass, you are just convinced that you could go for another one or two of these. It is quite a feat for a big beer like this to make you want to reach for another of the same thing, but the boys from Chico do it with this one. It also makes a fine accompaniment to Maytag Blue Cheese (or really any blue-cheese-family offering). But the Maytag's smooth creamy feel is a good balancing effort to the hugeness of the Bigfoot.

I must conclude with a bit of a reminisce. I can remember getting this stuff in college (probably around 1998 - I wish I saved a bottle or two from then) and liking it, even though in those days, I was a "Sam Adams is great" guy. Now I can see how I felt that way. This beer is so accessible but yet so awesome still now. Just awesome.

12-16-2007 02:35:36 | More by ksbrainard
redmagik99

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

2007 version. As an honest but perhaps foolish beer advocate i have to say the 3 out of 4 times ive had this beer ive drank it from the bottle so i cant say much about the appearance, though i would imagine i wouldnt have much to say about it anyway. probably not a lot of head. this beer smells ballin. damn good. tastes friggen awesome too. its definitely one of the hoppier of the prominent barleywines around. Mad hops. i dont care if cascades taste like grapefruit juice, its amazing. this particular sample had a fairly strong alcohol bite to it. i imagine a year of aging might do it good, but not more than that lest the hop flavor will diminish. bigfoot is another strong brew from sierra nevada and a quintessential barelywine for hopheads everywhere.

PS wtf is the deal with that guy with the donkey on the bottle? Is that a human?

12-15-2007 05:19:07 | More by redmagik99
DIM

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

note: Reviewing the 07 in anticipation of the 08

a: A cloudy dark coppery orange color. Pours with a perfect long lasting white billowy head. Huge amounts of lace left behind.

s: Subtle chocolate sweet malts upfront. Still has a nice piney hop aroma. Brown sugar and a hint of alcohol.

t: Bigfoot seems to peak at around a year old. Big robust and perfectly balanced here. Sweet brown sugar malts tinged with cherries upfront. A hint of chocolate before the rough piny finish. When fresh Bigfoot can come on too strong, seeming almost hostile. What a difference a year makes.

m: Leaves a long lasting hop tingle. Thick and well carbonated.

d: I'll buy some every year. I can't wait for oh eight.

12-06-2007 12:08:29 | More by DIM
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.65/5  rDev +12%

2006 bottle. I wonder if the low reviews come from those who don't let this one mature for a while.This is one damn fine beer. I wasn't sure what to expect with this one since I've never had a barley wine before but this was the perfect blend of malt and hops. It was a beautiful brown, amber color with a little fluffy head. It smelled very hoppy with an underlying note of malt and something dark and rich.

I was extremely happy with this beer. The first drink was very hoppy with a bitter aftertaste that lingered FOREVER afterwards. As the beer warmed, it got maltier and maltier and very rich.

This rates right up there tastewise with the Ayinger Celebrator and the Dogfish Head 90 Minute which I think are both excellent beers. The store I bought this from had 5 more left and they have my name written all over them. I'm on the way to grab these!

12-05-2007 19:18:59 | More by Tilley4
zerofear13

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

I was really excited to try out the Bigfoot, since someone always mentions Bigfoot whenever Sierra Nevada is mentioned. I've never had a barleywine style ale. Poured out a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Smelled of sweet malts and strong hops and a fruity wine scent. The taste was good. But not amazing. The sweet malts and hops were great, but that wine flavor behind the initial taste was a bit too much for me. I'm not a huge fan of wine, so this may be the reason, but for me, it wasn't pleasant. Overall, I'd say this were tolerable and a "good" beer, but probably not my favorite out of the SN lineup, which I am a huge fan of.

12-04-2007 21:04:54 | More by zerofear13
bushbeer75

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz brown bottle 2007 edition - poured into a snifter and served at 50 degrees

Sierra Nevada BIGFOOT Barley Wine Ale poured a deep reddish brown in color with a large 2-finger tan head that held well and produced good lacing. Smell is of fruit with a little smoke. Bigfoot delivers a rich FULL malty flavor that is balanced. The maltiness shows up at the beginning with a bittersweet and alcohol warming bite at the end. Mouth feel is creamy, chewy, and slick on the tongue [oily].

This is my first venture into the Barley Wine style of Ale. Bigfoot is a BIG ale that makes a good sipper/night cap. More aging should help tame this strong ale.

12-04-2007 04:08:00 | More by bushbeer75
pwoods

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

12oz. brown stubby, purchased at Party Source, poured into a pint. 2007 vintage.

A: Pours deep apricot with minimal visibility. Actually looks like a pint of apricots. 1/2 - 1 finger of white head with some staying power. Nice lace rings after each draw.

S: Very complex. Dried fruits with undertones of bread and yeast. A dab of sweetness almost like honey. Hops add a floral note but mostly subtle.

T/M: Very robust. Malt dominance with just enough hops to add a bit of balance. Hops are mostly spicy/peppery. Malts are toasted grains and burnt honey. The finish shows the alcohol and a very tasty oak flavor. Body is nearly heavy with a nice creaminess.

D: Very tasty but limited to probably one. I have 5 to lay down and might get more.

12-03-2007 03:26:45 | More by pwoods
aerozeppl

12 oz bottle From Notes

A: Thick 2 finger head. Dark amber color. Nice intricate lacing.

S: Barley and malt. Some sweetness in there as well.

T: I could almost describe the taste as thick. Tons of malt with a bitter hop aftertaste. The alcohol is there as well.

M: Med body. Almost thin for the style. Low amount of carbonation but it works well.

D: Easy going for a barley wine. I drank this as my 4th beer of the night but it should have been first. Very enjoyable sipper.

12-02-2007 16:50:21 | More by aerozeppl
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A brown, copper beer with a thin, creamy head that leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell is very malty with nice Cascade, citric and raw hoppy.

Taste is malty and bitter, great balance. The malt is sweet and has a bit husky taste. The alcohol is pretty warming and tends to get a bit sharp and hot. The hop is definatelly Cascade and is citric with grapefruit and pineapple. A very full-bodied beer that has a great balance.

12-01-2007 19:00:00 | More by Absumaster
graveRacker

Maine

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Just some "laying down" advice:
Had the extreme plesure of six-year bottle conditioning tasteing, in which years 4-5 were exceptionally good. Year 3 was quite good, with anything under that seemingly "young" tasting. After year 5 the qualities that make it a stellar barley wine were fading.

11-30-2007 14:10:53 | More by graveRacker
MiScusi

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

2007 version, a twist-off 12 oz bottle poured into a Stone Old Guardian glass. Off white head built up quite well, and sat there as a nice foamy and frothy 2 finger cap for a while. The liquid was a dark orange, some brown. Can't see through the glass because it's murky. The smell has a big floral hoppiness to it. Lots of sweet malt down there with it as well, which is more apparent the warmer it gets. The taste starts out with a malty coating which turns into a quick floral hoppiness in the finish which *lingers* as a tingly bitterness. After about half the glass I start to get much more floral hop oil type of taste right at the beginning of the sip, which stays hoppy all the way through. Not much of an alcohol burn but it might combine with the hops at the very end to augment the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is about medium, which seems like a pretty good area for it. I've had double IPA's that are more syrupy than this.

Strong in every sense. This is a beer to really relax with in the cold weather and enjoy the heaviness of the flavor.
___

2004 Bigfoot on draft at Lucky Baldwins. ~4 years old.

Poured a hazy reddish brown. A lot of the hop bitterness has faded and you get a really nice maltiness out of it, although it does have some bite to it still.

A 2000 (8 years old) was also on tap and that had mellowed even more but had still kept a really nice maltiness to it. Interestingly this poured a clear reddish brown, no haze. It seemed to be a touch fruitier than the '04 and definitely an '08.

11-30-2007 02:12:24 | More by MiScusi
fitzy84

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap at Moan and Dove. This drink had a murky, amber appearance with a medium-heavy head. A sharp, malty aroma flew into your nose when sniffing it. The taste was very balanced: a perpetual see-saw between sweet and sour in the mouth. With the low carbonation, drinking this beverage was very smooth. Overall, a balanced, smooth beer.

11-26-2007 22:56:39 | More by fitzy84
rye726

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2007 bottle, about a year old now. Poured at 45F into a goblet.

Hazy but glowing ruby brown color. Nice thick tan head.

The aroma is of sweet honey and bitter citrus hops. It remind me of a field of wild flowers on a cool spring day.

This is a very unique barley wine. It has a complex sweetness accompanied by floral and spicey hops. There is also a presence of ripe fruits and caramel and some sophisticated alcohol tones.

A medium body gives it a nice thick, but not syrupy mouthfeel. Well balance and very drinkable for such a powerfull ale.

Note: I am always amazed at how well this stuff matures. It is one of the best beers in the world after a few years of cellaring.

Other Vintages:

'05

'06

'08

11-24-2007 19:12:14 | More by rye726
SammyDavisJrJrJr

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Back to an old favorite. This is from the '07 batch. Into the Orval goblet...

A - Dark amber body with a bit of head that almost completely disappeared in minutes...

S - Nice collection of aromas here. I noted esters, cherry, grass, vanilla, and of course alcohol. Good.

T - I first noted the alcohol, with lots of standard Bubble-Gum like fruitiness. At midpalate, I notes some more complex fruit and esters, while the finish was all hops and alcohol. Hot bad, but I expect so much from this style...

M - Not the fullest bodied of Barleywines...

D - It's good to drink now, I'm sure it will be even better in the future. Yay for my beer cellar!

11-22-2007 04:47:51 | More by SammyDavisJrJrJr
jbwrb

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Was my first experiance with this style of beer and I was not impressed at first taste. Being someone who will almost never pour a beer out I continued to drink until the glass was gone. As the beer warmed I was able to get over the high hop and alcohal flavor

I may have this beer again on a cold day, but the high alcohal content is something I tend to stay away from in my beer.

11-17-2007 06:00:39 | More by jbwrb
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.