Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Sorry to hate on Sierra Nevada today, but this 2007 Bigfoot I find to be way over the top. It looks pretty -- a reddish-brown with a thick off-white head. It smells interesting -- intense hops almost make my eyes water -- grapefruit & pine, like an IPA -- and there's a bit of toasty/roasty malt in there to boot. I just find the taste as really unbalanced with hops and alcohols dominant (and I'm a bit of a hophead myself, preferring strong ales!). I assume this will be much better after a couple of years -- I drank two out of my sixpack and will be cellaring the rest.

jbsteiny, Apr 13, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Vintage-2007
Poured from 12oz. (perfect serving size) bottle into snifter. Deep cherry amber color; very pretty. Vigorous pour provides a nice two finger head that disapates quickly leaving a nice lace. The aroma of this beer is extremely complex; banana, pine cone, grapefruit rind, and lots of alcohol are a few.

Huge malt presence upfront; very sweet and fruity (banana, slight cherry flavor, and grapefruit). Harsh (though pleasent) resiny / piney flavors follow and finishes with extremely hot.

This beer is wonderfully viscous; making it impossible for me to consume more than one a night.

I tend to enjoy american barleywines on the young side when there is more of a hop presence. That's just me though. I do set aside a 6-pack for cellaring every year.
---
6-7 month update 6/20/07 (2007 Vintage)

In as little as six months this beer has transformed from a super hop-bomb that is a bit harsh into a smooth and elegant brew. More nut flavors, caramelized sugar, banana, and chocolate flavors present. Hop flavors have pretty much diminshed. Bitterness is still high. Worth the wait for contrast alone not to mention the superb flavor.

bosco7, Apr 12, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a ruby hued amber with good head that fell to just a ring around the edge. Light "C" hops aroma, not quite as much as I expected. Maybe a little malt or yeast finish. Rolls right off the tounge, maybe too light for the style but I liked it. Goes down fast, but I only wanted one.

balconybrew, Apr 12, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2008 vintage

a - poured a one-finger thick light tan head into a goblet. left light sheeting and sticky, clingy lace throughout. the body was a clear reddish-brown.
s - caramel, vanilla and piney hops. this seems much more balanced than in the past.
t - pine, caramel with dark malty fruits in the finish.
m - thick and creamy.
d - wonderful! this is so smooth and delicious. best bigfoot i've ever had.

2007 Vintage

a - poured a two fingers thick light tan and fluffy head into a snifter. great sheeting and left stickier sides than the 06. the color was a lighter amber with not as much sediment.
s - a little lighter on the hops which i didn't expect, i thought it might be more but that's not the case. more malty with some caramel and vanilla tones than the 06.
t - more hoppy in the front and the malted caramel and vanilla is also more pronounced in the finish.
m - much creamier and slicker on the tongue.
d - went down much faster than the 06. while i'm going to start a vertical with this beer and think it has great potential with a lot of age, i like fresh bigfoot better.

GPHarris, Apr 10, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

2007 Vintage

12 oz bottle.

This being one of the last bottles in the case of '07 I bought this year, I figured I'd better give a quick review.

Doesn't vary too much from previous years. Still the classic bold hop flavor and "Bigfoot" flavor profile,. Huge body and complexity while managing to stay remarkably drinkable. A classic barleywine that is fairly easy to obtain and it still remains magnificent.

hero27, Apr 09, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

2007 edition. Picked up at the ever-improving beer section at my friendly suburban HyVee Supermarket. Poured into my St. Louis Cardinals Budweiser pint glass (ironic yes, but I love my Cardinals). Deep maroon-brown copper color with huge copper-tinged head. Initial head is huge - probably 2-3 finger widths. Great lacing.

Sniffing beyond the unmistakable hops (IPA hops), I smell some caramel sweetness and maybe a little citrus … and the most important part is taste and WOW; there’s a lot more roasted malt mixed into the butt-kicking hops I was expecting and love. The alcohol’s there too, but it doesn’t dominate. This taste is why you drink good American beer. Mouthfeel is smooth with some mild friction from the alcohol and hops, but I kind of like it. This is overall a great beer.

uiplanner, Apr 08, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Vertical tasting of Bigfoot 2006 and Bigfoot 2007

Eye:
2007- Nice large head with great retention and great lacing. color is light brownish and crystal clear. Some light ruby hues.
2006- Creamy head, not much retention or lacing. I think this is due to the glass-I've never had a good head in this snifter....never been washed in the dishwasher either...nothing that could damage it..weird. Color is much different. Dark ruby-Garnet. I prefer the color of this one over the 2007.

Nose:
2007-Very very hoppy supported by strong malt background-notes of alcohol in the nose.
2006-Much different from the 2007 vintage. Hops in comparison are almost non-existent. Very very alcoholic...at the least it can't be missed. Strong malts are dominant in the aroma though they seem to be behind the alcohol in potency. Smells more like a hard liquor such as whiskey.

Tongue:
2007- Large influence of hops in the 2007 vintage. Under that alcohol is easily noticed. Strong malt backbone supports the strong hops.
2006- Obviously hops are toned down. Malts are much more in the foreground than the 2007 vintage. Alcohol is more evident than in 2007. Bitterness is more harsh, it definitely balances the malts out, however as my first vertical tasting it seems odd to me to to have a lot of bitterness with out the hop flavor, I'm quite unused to it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability:
2007: In all aspects of the beer-flavor and aroma especially pretty much the same as 2006 when it was fresh from what I can remember. However, right now side by side I feel that the body of the 2007 is a bit fuller. It also goes down much easier than the aged 2006-prolly b/c it is less alcoholic in taste. I will always be a fan of fresh Bigfoot. I prefer it fresh and I will probably discontinue to cellar Bigfoot b/c I prefer it fresh. This is a brew I could drink any time, however I see this brew as being harder to drink when aged-thats just me-and also being harder to drink in hot weather. Luckily there's a cold front producing snow in Cincinnati right now making conditions right for me to drink this.
2006-In my opinion harder to drink than the fresh Bigfoot. It drinks more like a hard liquor but it doesn't have quite the high alcohol content. Definitely drinks better than hard liquor. I find the body of this brew to be lighter than the 2007. Carbonation has toned itself down quite a bit.

All in all the difference in aroma and flavor is quite large. I didn't expect the flavor to be all that much different but I was surprised. Aged it is good, actually at this point I am beginning to get used to its flavor. I like it much more than I did, yet still I prefer the fresh, being a hop head and all.

becktone, Apr 07, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

2007 vintage poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Rogue pint glass. Nice dark amber color, smallish white head that soon reduces to a cap of foam.

S: Grapefruity hops, caramel, maple syrup/brown sugar

T: Taste reflects the smell; the citric hops quickly race over the tongue leaving the syrupy sweet malt to coat the mouth. Sweetness increases with heat, the last quarter or so of the glass was quite luxurious. The alcohol is present throughout but not overbearing.

M: The beer itself is fine as far as body and carbonation but it leaves the mouth coated and sticky.

D: I could certainly have another one of these.

illidurit, Apr 05, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

A- Deep dark amber body, off-white creamy head with minimal lacing

S- Nose is of strong citrus hops with pine and fruity tones, sweet caramel malts, and quite a strong alcohol presence

T- Initial taste is slightly bitter hops and roasted malts, very nicely balanced, bitter and strong alcohol in the short aftertaste

M- Lively carbonation, big chewy texture

D- Quite a strong barleywine that lends itself to slow sipping over a considerable amount of time. You can really feel the 9.6% abv and more in this drink, limiting its drinkability.

Stoneman78, Apr 05, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Without a doubt, this is hop city! Like their pale ale but only more intense. I get some roasted malts and fruit, but unlike other reviews I have read, I would not say it is balanced. Not that it's poorly made beer, but it's definitely for someone who likes the taste of somewhat bitter fresh hops. I do, and I'm really into this beer. I do not get a strong alcohol flavor, but I do feel the effects.

Try this one with an earthy, soft-ripened cheese. The dark creamy flavor of the cheese will complement the brightness of the beer.

johnnydollar, Apr 05, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer poured a deep clear brown with a small off white creamy head. Great smell, very earthy, piney hops with a malt sweetness kind of like molasses. The bitterness was right on for my tastes and the there is a huge malt component that carries the bitterness perfectly. It has a medium-full body, very smooth. There is a tight biting carbonation and a fairly dry finish. This is the 2007 edition; I think this is the best Big Foot I've had.

orsulacp, Apr 04, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

Vintage 2005 bottle poured into my trusty pint glass. This is a gorgeous beer. It is a deep orange color, almost red. There is an impressive three fingers of head, which sticks around for awhile. Good lacing, great head retention.

When I popped the top and began to pour, my entire kitchen started to smell like pumpkins. This is a very pungent beer. But more than anything, when you get your nose right down in the glass and takea good whiff, this beer smells like honey. Maybe honey witha little pine resin in it, but mostly honey. At first it is intriguing, but the smell becomes borderline cloying (if a smell can be coying).

The taste is sort of like being kicked in the mouth three different times in three different ways. First, there's the carbonated, alcoholic kick. Then there's a veritable depth charge of maltiness (read: almost cloying), then there's a massive hoppy dry finish. While all three of these categories seem overdone in their own stage, I like the interim periods. The malty backbone comes as a sweet relief after the initial onslought, and the hops come to the rescue once the maltiness becomes too much.

More specifically: the maltiness is accompanied by the taste of pumpkins and acorn squash. There is a very nice mid-palate smokiness that transitions between the maltiness and the hoppy finish, and in many ways, the smokiness is the saving grace of this beer.

The overall taste of this beer is really a shame, because it has some intense and interesting flavors in all aspects, but they just don't seem to be balanced. The hops don't balance the huge malt presence, they just pour salt in the wound that is your palate.

In terms of mouthfeel, this beer is incredibly viscous. I'd say "chewy" as well, but it really seems like it doesn't want to be chewed. Imagine chewing molasses. It just wouldn't work.

Drinkability? Let me put it to you this way: I've been nursing this puppy for over an hour, and I've got about 4 oz left. For the trecord, there is still a very nice layer of lace on top.

Boppar, Apr 04, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Ok. This is my first review on BA, so I thought i would review one of the best beers i've had yet.

My buddy brought over a bottle of the 2007 a couple weeks ago for me to try.

Served in a standard pint glass. Appearance was great, that dark red/amber color with a nice 1" head. Smelled quite hoppy with a little bit of fruit in there. Taste was exceptional. If you are Hop-Junkie like I am, this is the beer for you. The flavor is quite similar to the smell, full bodied and very hoppy with some hints of fruit in there. Much smoother than I had expected, as i've had other high percentage beers that did'nt go down nearly as smooth. I anticipate I will be drinking alot of this beer in the future. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who can appreciate the taste of great beer.

guinness72384, Apr 03, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz. bottle 2007 vintage poured into an oversized wine glass

Apearance - Deep dark amber topped with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates rather quickly. Looks very thick, rich and creamy.

Smell - Can anyone say hops! Smells like a single ipa! rose water, pine, oak, caramel, leather. Truely complex

Taste - Quick sweet punch and then bashed down by the hops. Lingering leather flavor and an almost astringent feeling in the mouth that is generally left from tannin in beefy red wines. One of the hoppiest barley wines ive ever had.

Drinkability - Due to the acute bitterness and high a/c this one is certainly a sipper to be enjoyed from a snifter or wine glass on a cold wintery day. Truely a fantastic barley wine and a frequent in my fridge.

YankChef, Apr 02, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured the 2007 bw from a 12 oz bottle.

NIce dark amber color with a thick offwhite chewy head. Laceing and goo retention on the head.
The smell is sweet with a hop heavy note.the sweetness is almost a citrus sugar type sweetness, but i wasnt sure on that.
The taste is BIG. Its relatively hoppy, slightly bitter. there is some sweet fruit flavors as well as a somewhat noticeable alcohol warmth. despite the many different flavors, which are right in line with an american barley wine they are well balanced.
The mouth feel leaves my mouth a bit dry, which i am not fond of, but this is a very creamy and good beer.
This is a very drinkable beer, i enjoy barley wines and i feel this is a fine example of one. I am more fond of old foghorn, but thats purely personal taste, SN's is different but still very good and worth compareing.

Redwood21, Apr 02, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

2006 vintage

A- cloudy amber w/ auburn & red hues, 1 finger off white head, good hold on the head, nice lace

S- fruit, caramel, citrus, pine, spicy alcohol, malty

T- spicy w/ big malt character, toasted malts, fruit flavors, very nice balance, bitterness strong in aftertaste, piney. Alcohol in after. WOW

M- full body, some chewiness, some alcohol heat, good flow

D- complex, intense brew but so drinkable. One of the best beers i've had. Recommend must try. Masterpiece

tonistruth, Mar 31, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

January 2008 review:

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass--served at cellar temperature.

First of all, what a difference a year makes! If you read my 2007 review of this beer, you might think I am not a fan of "big" beers. Well, I used to think I wasn't either, but please take a look at this....

This beer pours a beautiful dark, reddish color with an awesome head as well as lacing on the glass as it's consumed.

Seriously, the nose of this beer would be enough reason to get this brew alone. It is simply outstanding, as the awesome cascade hope notes as well as alcohol combined with some slight caramel sweetness are almost memorizing. Also, some fruity esters only add to the complexity.

The taste of this is in one word....INTENSE. But, it is intense in the best way a big beer can possibly be. Allow me to explain....

It starts off with a huge hit of the famous cascade hops, which have complex fruity, citrusy flavors. To balance this, a slightly sweet caramel like backbone makes its presence. That said, the hops are defenitely dominate and very complex, as this brew seems to have some citrus, peppermint, and a vast array of complex flaovrs as a result of the superior hops used to brew this beer. The alcohol flavor of this beer is very assertive---but in a good way. It literally compliments the hop flavor as if they were both combined to help finish this brew and contribute to its umptmost complex flavor and warming character. When the potent hit of alcohol hits the nasal cavity, you know you are drinking one "big" beer!

Oh man, what a beer this is! I thought things couldn't get better after the Celebration Ale, but boy was I wrong. This beer is, of course, a sipping brew, at whopping 9.6% ABV, but it is still very drinkable, as none of the flavors seem to outdue eachother. If I have the willpower, I plan to age a couple of bottles for two+ years to see how it changes. Again, that is, if I have the willpower to hold off on drinking one of the best brews on the planet earth.

July 2008 review (2008 vintage, aged for approximately six months).

This is one beer that I have aged the longest, as the barelywine style has become one of my absolute favorites within the past year. As expected, the beer's characteristics have changed a bit, but for the most part, after six months of aging, seems to be fairly similar to the bottles I tried when it was fresh at the beginning of 2008.

The superb hop character that fills the nose is still there, but the aging has allowed a bit more caramel malt sweetness to come through. As expected, this also holds true for the taste, as the malt character is much more present, and the finish not has hoppy as it was six months ago. That said, there is still the ample trademark hop bitterness that does an excellent job of balancing out this huge brew at the end.

Not only has the aging brought forth a more assertive malt character, but I also get more red-wine like flavors from it as well. The wine like flavors are much more present in the finish due to the mellowed out hop bitterness from the aging.

I am trying to decide whether I like this world class beer better as fresh as I can get it or with a bit of age. Well, to be honest, I cannot decide, because this brew is just awesome all around, with different tastes and characteristics to explore when its fresh and with some age to it. Obviously, with aging, you get less hop flavor, which arguably yields a more traditional bareywine flavor, but again, the trademark hop bitterness of this beer is one element of it that makes it the awesome brew that it is. My suggestion is to do what I am doing now, which is by it new (one it's available, of course), try it then (always remember that for best results, a barleywine should be served at cellar temperature), age one for several months, reflect on who it has changed, and then continue to age it longer, which is what I plan to do with my remaining two bottles. I plan to crack the next one opened around October or so, and then the last of the 2008 vintage around the beginning of the 2009, to see what a beer aged for one full year tastes like. Can't wait to see what is in store for this awesome beer!

AustinBeerLvr, Mar 30, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -21%

The beer pours a lovely amber color with a light tan head that crowns the beer that leave behind sticky lacing. The aroma was largely of American hops giving it a red grapefruit aroma with a slight sticky malt notes that fight to be recognized. The taste gives off slight alcoholic notes with a red grapefruit taste that overwhelms all in the first taste with a malty backbone following in the middle. The mouthfeel was bitter with sugary sticky feeling that lasts a while. This is a slow drinking beer which is quite nice.

cproioi, Mar 29, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

The body of this beer is a dark, amber/molasses color. My pour leaves a large, off-white head behind, very foamy and very inviting. Each sip leaves some on the side of the glass.

Floral hops takes the lead in the aroma, but is not overpowering. Other scents are allowed to develop; citrusy goodness followed by a little honey.

The first sip is sweet with honey, brown sugar and caramel the most noticeable tastes. Shortly after, pine and hops tear through for an incredible bitterness that lasts through the finish accompanied by a sweetness again at the end.

Medium bodied with light carbonation and is also a tad on the dry side, very nice feel, but the intense flavors and high ABV would make this one I wouldn't have many of at a time. Overall a great beer.

dogger6253, Mar 28, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had some Bigfoot on tap with Trep at the Flying Saucer in Raleigh.

The beer goddess brought me an amber-copper hue of a brew that turned ruby red in the sunlight. A slim, tan head dissipated shortly after the first sip and left a nice, sticky ring of foam around the edge of the glass. At first, the aroma seemed more like an IPA than a barleywine, which was kudos in my book. There were big, sweet hop notes with citrus, caramel and pungent floral aromas.

The taste was a blend of the strange and familiar: Notes of tree bark, piney hops, alcohol, bread, barley, and gin. A crisp, well-carbonated mouthfeel met the palate up front and left a sour, liqour-esque bite to the back of the throat. Although I'm not a huge barleywine fan, this was pretty damn good. Hats off to Sierra Nevada for making a tasty brew...

wagenvolks, Mar 27, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

2008 Bottle Reviewed 3/08
Pours a ruby red orange with a full tan colored head. No lacing.

Absolutely wonderful hop scent. Fruity, piney and hints of caramel.

More hops in the flavor. Really can't say enough of their hop use. Lots of citrus and bitter sweet puckering. Comes off as more balanced than last years, but its Bigfoot and the hops are there.

Mouthfeel is medium and the tiny bubbles of carbonation prick at my tongue and seem to enhance the hop bitterness. Lots of alcohol, but its hidden well under the hops and citrus. Despite overwhelmingly hoppy it comes of as more than a simple hop bomb and has depth and complexity unmatched by any American Barleywine I've enjoyed.

2007 Bottle Reviewed 3/07

Appearance - Dark red, with a thick head that reaches for the glass leaving a nice sticky lacing.

Smell - Floral hops scent up front with slight syrupy/honey/brown sugar smell.

Taste - A piney hop taste followed with an aftertaste of something citric and alcohol. Can't decide if I'm tasting orange or grapefruit or what thats providing the citrus. Hops are clearly the emphasis, but do not dominate the palate and overall tastes amazing.

Mouthfeel - I'm happy this isn't a syrupy barley wine, which can be difficult to finish unless its pouring snow outside. Medium mouthfeel and light carbonation. I'm really digging the aftertaste on this.

Drinkability - Decent for the abv, but I think I would have trouble with more than one. Conversely I could see myself enjoying this beer regardless of the weather or my mood. I wonder if I could still find a case of this someplace local still because it would be well worth it.

Jmamay22, Mar 27, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

(This review of a 2007 vintage --- on sale at Byron's in OKC for around $6/six-pack)

Whoa.... this is quite a beer. An unlike many Barley Wines I've had in the past, this one is perfectly balanced and not syrupy or cloying at all.

The beer is the color of strong iced tea with a generous head. Delightfully smooth mouthfeel. The aroma is definitely dominated by alcohol and malt but there are some floral hops too.

The flavor is rich and complex. There's lots of hops (floral and bitter), toasted maple-ly malts and plenty of alcoholic warmth. I can pick up a little bit of pine and maybe a bit of a strong grapefruit aftertaste.

Very well balanced and matched with the smooth mouthfeel it is an exquisite beer to slowly sip and savor. Definitely improves as it warms.

jmbranum, Mar 27, 2007

Poured from the bottle a dark reddish amber with a slight creamy head.

The malts dominate with the alcohol and the hops following.

The taste was similar to the smell. Very malty with the alcohol presence becoming more apparent as the beer warms. The hops are still there but secondary. This is one sharp and bitter brew.

Slick to the tongue with a very light carbonation.

This is a big beer and to me, an acquired taste. Not loving it the first day, but by the time I drank my third bottle, I was hooked.

Monkeyknife, Mar 27, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

2007 vintage - I have come to the conclusion that many American barleywines, especially Bigfoot, do not benefit from long aging. This is a style that emphasize both hops and malt, and if you age it too long, the hops will fade too much.

Pours a deep burnished copper color with a big thick head leaving much lace on the glass.

Citrus, pine, lemony, almost spicy hops, with a sweetish caramel-toffee aroma backing it up. Hops dominate, but malt is well represented. Alcohol evident.

Intense resiny hops up front along with a big blast of intense maltiness - kettle caramelization, perhaps...Very piney hoppiness. Ethanol flavor comes in and makes its presence known as it all melds together for a intensely bittersweet hop-flavored finish. Leaves an aftertaste of powerful American C-hops.

Mouthfeel: medium-full with medium carbonation. Creamy with a slick feel on the tongue.

Drinkability - I like barleywine. This one is a drinkin' barleywine - well balanced.

I have really come to love this beer, and I now always look forward to picking up a case or two when it comes out every year. If Sierra Nevada asked me to pick a single beer for them to brew year round, this would be it - the best of both worlds, intensely malty and hoppy at the same time.

beertastegood, Mar 27, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Clear, red/copped color. Caramel colored, thick and rich head that lingers nicely.

S - Strong honey and raisin aroma. A little floralness as well. Very complex and continues to develop as it spends more time out of the bottle.

T - First inpression is very sweet, then as it moves through the mouth it ramps up with a serious amount of bitterness. A nice balance of hop and malt flavors - not overly malty as some BWines I've experienced. Strong but wonderfully balanced.

MF/D - This is a challenging, big beer, but not so brutal you feel like you just got kicked in the groin. Paired with a strong cheese, or even a really good pizza pie, I think this is one of the best barleywines out there.

FuzzyGuy84, Mar 26, 2007
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.