Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
brewdlyhooked13

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

The third and final of three Bigfoot years sampled over the course of several days. This was the 2006 edition.

Appearance - pours a very nice reddish amber. It catches light well, creating some nice hues in the glass from an almost fiery clouded red to deep brownish amber. Three fingers of head form up on the pour into a Paulaner 25cl tasting glass. The drop-back leaves chunks and craggy patterns of lace down to the solid think cap.

Aroma - sweet, citrusy, lots of pine. Good resilience but not as intense as '03.

Taste - a thick, fairly sweet maltiness rides shotgun to very intense hops, coming on at the first sign of sweetness on the tongue. Full pine and grapefruit rind effect here, enhanced by alcohol. Probably the best flavor for hopheads but the intensity masks some subtleties of the beer that come with some aging. The finish is dry, a taste of fruitiness sneaking in now and then.

Mouthfeel - very thick and chewy, just as coating as the '03. Feels more carbonated to me though, very busy in the mouth. Takes the edge off the bigness, not necessairly a bad thing.

Drinkability - very drinkable. I nearly downed the last of my 2nd sixer before realizing I hadn't taken any notes on it yet. An 'everyday big beer' if there ever was one. The most quaffable of the three I tried for a vertical, but aging the bottles for a few years is the ideal way to enjoy all this beer can do, IMO.

04-13-2006 02:42:45 | More by brewdlyhooked13
deuschbag

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

2006 edition

12 oz bottle pored into a snifter. this lovely brew pores a dark mahogany color with a tan head that leaves a moderate amount of lacing. i love the color of this beer.

hops are the dominate smell of this brew. a little bit of oak in the background.

the taste is very hoppy. a big bitter hop profile in this catagory. malts in the background. very alcoholic as well.

full bodied and very smooth.

this is definitly a fine brew for a hop head like myself. if you don't like the taste of hops or any ipa, this is not a brew for you. i've only had a few barleywines so far, but this is by far the hoppiest i've had of the style. i can't wait to see how this one would taste in about a year.

04-12-2006 04:27:27 | More by deuschbag
blackie

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Vintage 2006

appearance: The pour produces a .5" light tan head that slowly recedes back into the glass. A thin layer on top and thick ring around the glass is left. Moderate lacing sticks to the walls of the glass as I drain it. The beer is a dark ruby-amber in color.

smell: Big PacNW hops up front...fresh, green, and wonderfully floral. Though this barleywine is definately hop forward, I get the sense that there is actually quite a bit of balance to it. Right along with those hops I get a big, sweet caramel malt aroma that is nice and fruity. Hints of tropical fruits, fresh cut hardwood, honey, and sugar cookies are found. Considerable alcohol presence on the nose, but that it expected and it is not really detracting.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is towards the lower side of the medium range, and is composed of small, smooth bubbles. The body is on the lower end of the heavy range.

taste: Where to begin? Huge flavors of boiled, steeped hop matter attack my palate...but there is also a little fresh hop flavor in there. There's a big caramel malt flavor, but the hops almost overwhelm it completely. A considerable bitterness comes in after the swallow, but it is not overwhelming given the fullness of the beer. Right now it is almost all hops, though I can tell there are some great flavors in there wanting to come out.

drinkability: Limited drinkability due to the alcohol content paired with the mean hop character and fullness. What a beer.

Picked up a six pack, will definately cellar the other five awhile. I also have a 2004 and a 2005 that I look forward to sampling someday.

2006 Vintage sampled Jan 10, 2007: Hops still smell great, and are quite big, but it seems they have lost a touch of their fresh "snap." Going by my initial description, the basics are all still here, just more integrated as a whole...malts not as sweet, hops not as fresh, coming together more singularly. Still plenty of ethanol presence. Same can be said for the flavor...the malt comes through much more and the hops have lost some of their dominant bite while plenty of tealike hop flavor persists. Complex with caramel malt aromas and flavors.

2009: deep amber, big pine hop over a boozy caramel malt body, full body not overly heavy, caramel malt that manages not to be overly sweet, huge piney hop palate with a mod-high bitterness, gonna leave my scores as they are, single from total wine, newport news, va, stuck one in the cellar for the vertical

04-10-2006 04:06:27 | More by blackie
skillerified

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours out really thick in a really nice dark mahogany color. Strong tan head that coats the sides of the glass instead of just lacing it.

Pine and citrus (mostly lemon, but a dash of orange here and there too) dominate the scent. There's a hint of alcohol in there (surprisingly small for the ABV). There's bit of pine cone too. Will likely get more complex as it warms.

All hops on the palate. It's like a hop barrage. I like a good double IPA and all, but this is too much for me. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just too much for me. Some spices start to come into play as it warms, but it's still too much for me.

Really thick and heavy bodied. Starts rich and sweet and turns to an astringent bitter bite. Such a wide swing is just not appealing to me. There's no subtlety in this brew.

Not sure if I can finish the one I've got, much less the one in the fridge. I really think it's just me. I don't think this is bad for the style or anything like that, it's just too much for me. Maybe it's better aged. I'll be in no hurry to drink the next one and see what happens in six months or so. 2006 edition.

04-09-2006 07:49:51 | More by skillerified
buckiflyer

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

2006 edition. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle a redish brown color. Huge white fluffy head with lacing. Hop smell hits me instantly and I think of the Celebration ale. Citrus and Pine smells I could enjoy all day long. Very smooth initial taste followed by bitter hop adn then a high alcohol finish. This is one powerful beer. Wish I would have purchased more to let age.

04-06-2006 00:14:47 | More by buckiflyer
heyitsbyron

Wisconsin

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured a single bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Poured thick and oily. Dark amber. Tight head that was easily 2+cm. Laces well.

Smelled over-top-hoppy-- think floral--, but then sweeter as it warmed up. Maltiness really fills up the nose on anything more than a light sniff.

Bitter more than hoppy, if you know what I mean. Strong malts and a sweet finish. The booze really tries to creep through the bitterness.

Creamy and smooth, but also so hoppy and boozy that it starts to seem caustic after most of the glass.

Drinkable? Eh...Given the booze and the unabashed heaviness, it's ok. I certainly can't do more than one of these in a night, let alone one sitting. A nice experience for my first barleywine, but not something I would seek (to pay for) again. Got me pretty ripped though.

04-05-2006 04:25:05 | More by heyitsbyron
Imstillthegman

Delaware

3.9/5  rDev -6%

This is for the 2006 edition.

Pours a dark, hazy amber/brown color. Dense two finger tan head that sticks to the glass.

Smells of floral hops, sweet doughy malts, slight caramel.

Hops hit you in the face but are quickly joined by a sweet malty flavor.This is a hop bomb, though. Flavor tries but cannot hide the alcohol. Could use a bit of aging to mellow it a bit. Sticky, syrupy mouthfeel with noticeable alcohol afterburn. Very little carbonation.

I could only have one Bigfoot a day. Have some in my cellar to try in a year or so and I will review again then.

04-04-2006 15:50:46 | More by Imstillthegman
klewis

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

2006 edition

A: Pours a mahogany color with a large head for a barleywine. Lots of sticky lace is left on the snifter.

S: The smell explodes with hops and includes aromas of pine and spices

T: A perfectly balanced barleywine, the taste presents caramel and fruity flavors up front followed by a full hop flavor in the finish. Just the right amount of bitterness with a moderate amount of alcohol in the finish.

M: Heavy, chewy, and sticky with the perfect amount of carbonation.

D: It's not everyday that I can drink a beer like this, but this is definitely the best barleywine that I've had so far. The alcohol is a little too prominent right now; in a few years I think this will be truly great.

04-04-2006 03:58:21 | More by klewis
OStrungT

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours a brown with burgandy tints. The head is light brown, slightly yellow. It is thick and fluffy. It fades slow, leaving many thick laces.

This beer smells very sweet. I smell citrus hops. It smells quite floral. Also, I detect some caramel. The alcohol in slightly noticable. It has a slight grassy aroma.

This beer tastes of grassy hops. It has a syrupy like sweetness to it, but the dominate flavor is grassy hops. The alcohol in present in the flavor, but only mildly. I think this beer might be confused with an alcoholic Double IPA.

This beer is full bodied. It is a little low on carbonation, but well for the style. It leaves a hoppy alcohol aftertaste.

I doubt this beer would make a great session beer. It is high in alcohol, and the aggressive flavor would wear thin soon.

04-04-2006 03:54:53 | More by OStrungT
wedge

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

2006

Deep crimson glow with a thin, creamy tan head. Thick, piney hop aroma with a rounded sweet maltiness in back and a soft fruitiness. Some spicy alcohol as it warms. The flavor is, at first, a serious attack on the palate...a massive blend of resinous, sappy hops and toasted sweet malts. The taste softens after a while...though not much...and becomes an incredibly tasty brew full of hoppy goodness. Floral and citrus. Long, intense bitterness and full in the mouth.

A massive, super-hopped barleywine. Maybe a little young, it could be aged for a long while...but its damn good now and I don't have a cellar.

Enjoy

04-04-2006 02:10:00 | More by wedge
akahn

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Beautiful deep, clear, dark, ruby color.Sticky, thick tawny brown head. Lasts firmly, leaving lost of foamy lace. Streaming carbonation.

Very strong (Cascade?) hop aroma, coupled with malt sweetness.

Delicious, sweet, big malt flavor, with hop bitterness floating above. Really exceptionally balanced. This is my first American style barley wine, and I'm enjoying this much better than the less-hoppy specimens I've had. Slight alcohol warmth, along with a slight soy sauce saltiness.Very rich and tasty. Drying pine needle fresh hop bitterness.

Full body, moderate carbonation. This beer's balance and relatively low alcohol content make it surprisingly drinkable, albeit at a sipping pace. I'd like to sit on a few of these for a couple years and see how they turn out.

04-03-2006 04:12:15 | More by akahn
MrSeth

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

App: Pours with a deep copper body and a ruddy-tan head. Lot's of action as the head settles.

Sm: Wafts of sweet malt, orangey hops and some alcohol drift over from the glass, and closer inspection is no less pleasant. This is a 2006 bottle, and the nose isn't that complex yet. But what it has is a less is more quality.

Ta/Mf: Again it's a malty and citrus hoppy goodness, but somehow it stands out against a barley wine that is just "simple" or "basic." There is massive rush of flavor as it crosses the tongue, bitter orange peel and sweet malt are balanced and forward in the profile. Strong carbonation, and a puckering mouthfeel make this an enjoyable offering in some sensible dose.

DA: Medium. As tasty and commendable as this classic barleywine is, I never have more the 2 or 3 servings.

03-31-2006 22:57:33 | More by MrSeth
ultralarry2006

Vigorous pour yields a 2 inch head that doesn't hang around and leaves slight lace. A deep coppery red with only slight haze. Aroma - instantly noticeable alcohol- some piney citrus and doughy caramel. Taste- intensly sweet and bitter at the same time- very intense- at first, the hops and malt compete briefly, fighting for your attention, citrus and caramel, then two sides of the flavor equation (hops vs. malt)seem to cancel each other so that alcohol asserts itself over the two - leaving a biitersweet aftertaste following an alcohol burn. Mouthfeel - very full mouth, little carbonation, slick coating, and small alcohol burn. Drinkability- this is very good, but very rich, could handle two in one sitting (maybe three if I wasn't driving) then would need to have something much less rich and smaller abv. As for the alcohol burn; this ale is good enough as to make it tolerable, moreover I suspect that the burn diminishes with age (cellering) as the ale's components mellow and hence integrate with each other rather than compete, much the same way it does with wine (this being my first barleywine experience) -this is vintage 2006.

03-31-2006 20:19:36 | More by ultralarry2006
HugoGrim

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2006 edition: Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

Rick burgundy/rosewood color to the body. An aggressive pour produced a nice thick head, which dissipated into a thin wisp of soapy foam. Epic lace.

Aroma is hop domination with hints of sweet dark fruits.

Absolute hop blast in the mouth. Very Earthy with flavors of wood and leather, but piney hops flex, and push everything else into the background. Alcohol is faint, and quite pleasant.

03-31-2006 01:25:47 | More by HugoGrim
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

06' edition.
Pours a dark ruby hazy brew. An aggressive pour yields just a slight fizzy head that quickly dissipates. Aromas abound, screaming out of the glass. A sweet, roasty maltiness, followed by some resinous hops and a bit of alcohol burning in the end. A syrupy, heavy mouthfeel with very little carbonation covers the tongue with some intense flavors. The sweetness is quickly entrapped by a bitter hoppy zing. Some dried fruits are noted in addition to a floralness that barely makes it over the alcohol, which makes a heavy presence. This is a style I've come to love, and wonder why anyone would want to drink wine after this.
I had the pleasure to drink this side by side a 750ml bottle of Old Crustacean (with a friend of course) and was able to appreciate the big difference (mainly the sweet, balanced flavor of Rogue's vs. the hop bomb of Bigfoot). This is an amazing digestif beer I've been able to enjoy on many a night. Holds a special place for me.

03-31-2006 00:40:30 | More by dreadnatty08
Dukeofearl

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

CELLARED REVIEW:

Bigfoot 2004, aged approximately 2 years. Last of a six pack purchased in early 2004 for approximately $8.99 at LaBodega in Riverside, CA. I am interested in this re-review, as I really didn't care for it before, and I know it probably has changed, and I know I have changed. Is it any better? Previous (6/2004) review copied below for comparative purposes.

Pours a dark amber with copper notes. A moderate off-white head drops quicky. Muddy looking, even though I kept the bulk of the obvious yeast particles in the glass.

Aroma is complex, deep brandy like, but better. Sweetness, brandied cherries, figs, slight chocolate notes. Flavor follows through, intense and strong. No real notice of the hops that seemed to dominate before- did I mis-identify, or have the hops character truly faded away?

Mouthfeel is rich and full, creamy when swirled in the mouth. But then there's that huge alcohol burn at the end, kerosene/jet fuel that completely ruins all the good stuff that came before. It really takes something that starts well, and just destroys it. When I first reviewed this, it was one of the first barleywines I had ever tried. Now I've had several, and I know they can be better than this.

Once again, I did not finish it.

ORIGINAL REVIEW (6/04):

2004 vintage, poured in 6/04. Pours a medium brown, semi-transparent with a medium head after a vigorous pour. The head dies back into a thin cover pretty quickly. Aroma is malty, with a lot going on- somewhat sweet, with dark sweet fruits, and the oils and pines of hops. Flavor was slightly sweet with a strong, piney oily bite of hops, and with a huge, overpowering alcohol profile. As it warms, rich dark sweet fruits come out too. But it continued to feel like pure grain alcohol mixed with hop oil. There was a lot of interesting things going on, but the alcohol rising through them all made me stop drinking it.

This was a beer of extremes for me. There were parts I really liked, and parts that really ruined it for me. I could not finish it. I have one more bottle that I will let age for a year or two and see what it's like. I am a big Sierra Nevada fan, and I could not do this one.

03-30-2006 03:43:34 | More by Dukeofearl
Hautacam

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours out dark, clear orange-amber....white head..drops to "gone".
Smell :Big floral hop aroma...are my eyes watering ?..grapefruit rind ..some alcohol..malt must be there somewhere ?..hint of dried fruit in background.
Tastes sweet for about a nanosecond, then the hops just punch you hard....candy-malt comes forward as it warms.Clean citus rind finish that lingers into the aftertaste....and lingers some more
Sweet syrupy mouthfeel...no carbonation.
This is a really good one, but you must want over -the -top -
hop bitter...from start to finsh...and then some.
For my taste...I would describe this as DFH 90 minute that has been intensified right to the limit.
I will get this again....but I can tell that my girlfriend who likes her hops subtle, will have to leave the room when I drink this...mmm....I won't have to share !

03-29-2006 03:55:50 | More by Hautacam
beerphilosopher

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Much to my surprise, I found this one at one of my local liquor stores. This part of IL is typically quite beer-deprived, so I was very pleased ... anyway ...

Poured into the pint glass with a very red orange appearance. Head is white with little retention. Little visible carbonation. Nose is big time hops upfront. Lurking behind, however, is a pretty robust sweet malt backbone to offset the hop attack just a tad. Smells wonderful. Palate is as suspected. The hops jump out and grab you like a pissed off yeti. As the nose indicated, the substantial malt character really does work to "tame" the massive hop profile this one contains. Pine, green tea, and a little citrus mixed with sweet mollasses and caramel. Mouthfeel is biting and sweet, Again, low carbonation. Lasting bitterness of the hops co-exist with a persistent sweetness. Medium-bodied. Wow ...what can I say ... I've wanted to try this one for a while now and it didn't disappoint. I was a bit worried as this is the '06 Bigfoot and still very "young." The hops are indeed "untamed" and are a force to be reckoned with. All in all, though, this is still very drinkable (one), and promises even better things in a couple of years. The rest of the six is goin' in the cellar and won't make another appearance for a year, at least. By then, it'll have learned a little discipline. Anyway, as for the Bigfoot ... I believe.

03-27-2006 17:31:09 | More by beerphilosopher
jamesdergen

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

2005 Edition

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous ruby-amber with a medium tan head.

Smell: Dense piney, herbal hops and strong malty background.

Taste: A massive attack on my tastebuds! Starts out with a wall of herbal, piney very aggressive hops that fades into the caramel malt background. The hops never leave completely and come back in with the alcohol at the end, raw hop bitterness lingers in my mouth afterwards.

Mouthfeel: Very aggressive, but not overly carbonated and medium-bodied. The alcohol is ever-present, but not overpowering. Overall, surprisingly smooth.

Drinkability: Easy to sip, but I would not want to drink this any faster. Mostly as a result of the delicious taste, but also out of reverence to the alcohol content. For the style, very drinkable.

What a great brew from SN! Hoppy, malty and full of alcohol, but still well balanced and delicious. Highly recommended.

03-27-2006 03:35:10 | More by jamesdergen
Gusler

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Vintage 2006
The beer sets in the glass a clear deep mahogany After its debarking the 12-ounce stubby brown bottle, the head is modest in size, semi-creamy in texture and the color a winsome light tan, after its eventual demise the lace forms a concealing sheet to obscure the glass. Nose has a decent hop floral spiciness, sweet malt at the back, citrus like in its crispness, start is a bit sweet, the grain profile perfect and the top middling in its feel. Finish is mercenary in its acidity, the hops powerful in their spiciness, quite dry and the aftertaste long. Drinkable as it is, but give six months to twenty years then its spectacular.

Vintage 2005:
The beer dispenses from the 12-ounce brown bottle a luminous mahogany and the head, Brontosauric in size, the texture creamy and the color light tan, as the head slowly degrades the resultant lace forms a thick and sticky sheet upon the glass. Nose is hop floral, sweet and the malt obvious, crisp and clean, the start is sweet, the grain profile adequate and the top middling. Finish is mildly acidic, the hops punishing in their spiciness, droughty aftertaste, the alcohol also makes itself known is a bit of aftertaste bitterness and the nice tummy warming, a beer I look forward each year, a life long favorite.

Vintage 2004
Well, my waiting is over, every year I wait with great anticipation for the new release of “Big Foot”, one of my top 3 barley wines, well the wait is over, got my first sampling of “Release 2004”.The beer disembogues the bottle a somewhat hazy brown color, the head is moderate in size, frothy in its texture and the color a winsome light tan, as it evaporates, the lace forms a sealing curtain upon the glass. Nose is sweet malt, hints of the hop flower, a tad bit of fusel alcohol, citrus crisp and fresh, start is ambrosial; the malt a bit lean in my opinion, top is moderate in mouth feel. Finish is prickly in its acidity, the hops majestic in their spiciness, very dry aftertaste. Appears to me that this years batch is a bit light on the malt, a change I don’t like, still a fine beer, and maybe a bit of aging will help, for better or worse, I now have a case and one six pack in the cellar.

VIintage 2003: What can I say about this beer that I’ve not said many times before. Each year I wait for it to come out like waiting on a dear friend to come for a visit. As it sets in my Sierra Nevada Pounder, it’s an unblurred mahogany color, the head temperate in size frothy in texture, the color a winsome light tan, and as it disappears the lace formed a silky sealing sheet, that welds itself to the glass. Nose is floral, slight traces of fusel alcohol, citrus crisp, fresh, as a spring morning, a real treat to the nose, start is sweet and thickly malt with a middling top. Finish surly in its hop spicy bite with the acidity bruising and the alcohol domineering, the aftertaste desert dry, somewhat bitter and long lasting. Love this beer and it only gets better with age just like “Olde Gusler”!

Vintase 2002: On the pour a nice clear brown, masterful beige head and sheets of lace to coat the glass. Nose is hop floral, malt under tones, and just maybe a hint of fusel alcohol. Front begins malt and slightly sweet, the top has a fair to middling mouth feel. The finish has a brawny hop presence, intermediate acidity, aftertaste is dry, alcohol bitter and the high ABV is certainly evident in the "Belly Warming". I bought a case, and a 12 pack is being cellared as we speak, a beer that gains in flavor and robustness as it ages, and I'm sure it will be a "Hoot", 2 or 3 years down the road.

03-26-2006 23:11:56 | More by Gusler
riversider76

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours brown, with a thin tan head.This was vintage 2006. Smell is of citrus, hops,and alchol. Body is medium. Taste is big, almost sweet at the start, but finishes with a big hop kick. The citrus and alchol really come through. have a few of these,and say goodnight!

03-26-2006 22:03:18 | More by riversider76
adam42381

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. bottle

Poured a dark brown with minimal creamy head. Faint lacing all the way down.

Smell is strong with hops and a faint bit of citrus, mainly lemon.

Taste is excellent. Very large, strong taste with a hint of citrus at the beginning. Finishes with a nice amount of bitterness. You can taste the difference in the higher ABV.

Mouthfeel is above average, not too thick but not light either. A bit sticky on the palate. Very nice.

Drinkability is quite high. Despite it's higher ABV, you could easily down a few of these.

Overall, this is an excellent product once again from Sierra Nevada. This is my personal favorite beer, at least for tonight!

03-25-2006 03:48:42 | More by adam42381
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from bottle(2006-room temp) a dark red with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated quickly.

The smell is a nice mix of hoppiness and a caramel malt.

The taste is big, huge, citrusy hoppy goodness up front that gets my palate's attention and almost puts a stranglehold on it. ;^) Mid way through, there's a good malt presence that stays right through to the finish though, right at the very end, the hops return just to let you know "who" is in command. Absolutely delicious!

Bottom line: I've had the Bigfoot many times and it never fails to satisfy. Highly recommended!!!

03-25-2006 00:12:42 | More by Bitterbill
Bones54

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Serving: Bottle
Appearance: A very enticing brown
Smell: Damn- smell those hops!! Mix in a hint of pine and fruit aroma.
Taste: Holy hoppiness!!! I think my palate is actually having a hop attack- I'll take that any day... I swear this is a Double IPA...
Drinkability: Proceed with caution.... This beer is very drinkable, especially with its IPA characteristics- but this sucker is high in ABV and should be handled as such

03-24-2006 18:38:17 | More by Bones54
daliandragon

3.9/5  rDev -6%

This is another beer I've heard a great deal about and have been eager to try. I've had a mixed track record with barley wines so far but I'm trying harder to appreciate them and this is suppossed to be one of the best.
Pours a cloudy ruby color into my goblet with no real head but a thin skullcap remains. Cloudy and very tranquil in appearance, with zero visible carbonation. Nose has the delicious waft of chocolate malt and is ringed with alcohol, unsurprising considering the abv.
I have to admit, I like this beer in spite of what it is. Too much alcohol on the tongue for me but a late kick of hops saves it from high abv hell and gives it some much needed balance and character. Texture is obviously thick and round enough under the circumstances.
I still wouldn't choose one for extended session work but this is a high quality brew. I'll definitely be looking for more of these next winter and have to admit with this one, the hype is legit.

03-21-2006 08:35:22 | More by daliandragon
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.