Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
cracgor

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

2006 bottle. Pours out a brown with a thin light head that collars around the edges. A nice hoppy smell to it-though also a little syrup, citrusy, piney. A great cascade hop smell, but maybe another or two in the mix. This just has an awesome smell. Tastes very strong. The hops stand out right at the beginning--citrusy and piney, but it is followed with a pretty good malt kick. It tastes just a little nutty. The most notable thing about this one is the big kick of alcohol in the mouthfeel though the taste is only minimal-giving it a little fruity taste. Drinkable in the slow, reflecting way, but not something to drink a ton of.

02-16-2006 04:08:34 | More by cracgor
kbnooshay

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: This poured a beautiful hazy dark ruby color with a light creamy and foamy tan head. The beer label is kinda earthy and ugly but the unique underside of the cap rocks, 2 campers and a big foot drinking beer together.

Aroma: This smells just like SNPA, another words awesome. It is hoppy, sweet, citrusy and loaded with pine tree. For a barley wine though I would say it is mild.

Taste/mf: More like SNPA than celeration because it lacks much malty goodness but it still kicks your ass. Awesome hop punch and dry citrys flavor rapes your tastebuds. The mouthfeel is slick and sticky, medium.

Overall this tastes like a cracked out double ipa more than a barleywine. There eisn't enough mouth waming going on here. Don't get me wrong it is a great beer, but it is missing something to be called a barleywine. But i am reviewing this as a beer for some reason i am not docking it in points because it kicks ass. This brew is quite drinkable for me though, a speedy small sipper.

02-15-2006 21:39:08 | More by kbnooshay
walleye

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

2006 bottle poured a nice deep amber with a very light tan head. aroma as soon as I started to pour this in my glass the hops came out nice and strong, putting this to the nose got a nice sweet maltness comes out mixed with those big hops, than some pine, orange, grapefruit, slight wiff of alcohol. flavor, those hops are over powering even for a hop head like myself I like big hops beers and this one fills the hop cravings, tham once the palate got use to the hops they smoothed right out and the sweetness and malts calme out along with the citrus fruits and alcohol nice dry finish

02-14-2006 01:16:29 | More by walleye
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

This review of bigfoot is a 2006 sampling of a 2000 bigfoot I've cellared since 2000.

I'm not a fan of overly hopped beers ala the current trends. I generally prefer beers with a good balance of malt and hops. I set this brew in the cellar back in 2000 because it was too hoppy for my tastes. That said, 6 years in the cellar and this beer is wonderful! It poured a wonderful deep amber color with good carbonation. The head was nice even and steady through most of the glass.

Smell is definitely citrus almost to the point of warm ripe fruit. Not offensive in any way, but a blend of wonderful smells that make you want to take a sip.

Taste is rich and full. Malty sweetness paired with a medium solid citrus / orange taste. Interestingly enough there was a nice toffee undertone just at the edge of the tongue.

Some sediment was evident in the glass. I didn't notice sediment in the bottle and wasn't expecting this. Not a detractor at all.

Based on the results of this tasting I will definitely be putting a case or two of this in my beer cellar. This brew defintely has the legs to be a longer term aging brew. I can easily imagine drinking this at 10 years old and being amazed as well!

02-13-2006 14:39:14 | More by barleywinebrewer
bruachan

District of Columbia

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

penultimate stop on the night's tour at the lizard

nice brownish ruby color with an also nice rocky head sitting above

aromas of dark fruit...very fruity
dark fruit flavors, too, with dark cherry rounding out each mouthful. caramel as well. very little of the typical malt flavors...mostly fruit and hop character (of which there is plenty)

strong bitterness and my burps taste like citrus

yum yum. the huge estery profile didn't appeal to me so much, but a fine brew

02-12-2006 17:17:46 | More by bruachan
wingnutter

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Holy hell I wasnt expecting this beer to be this good.

Insane hoppiness. Tastes more like a DIPA than a barleywine. Intense bitterness, with pine notes leading the way. Alot of malt behind it creating a brown sugar sweetness. This feels like Celebration with a kick. Im liking it, Alot.

Thick mouthfeel. Feels like a sipper but goes down like a slugger. I didnt think I would like a SN beer as much as this year's Celebration. This one comes awful close.

Ill be drinking some of these until the supply dries up. I think Ill hold a few for next year for comparison. At 9.6 ABV I have to temper my drinkability rating - I wont be trying to polish off a 6er of this in a sitting anytime soon.

02-12-2006 06:18:53 | More by wingnutter
doppelmeup

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured a 2006 vintage into a snifter glass.

Very pretty auburn color, like a cream sherry. Not much head and only a slight bit of foam around the edges, although for the style this is probably appropriate.

Initial smell was quite hoppy, some grapefruit, some sweetness. Very piney. As it warms, a bit more malt comes through.

Tastes quite bitter, more bitterness than I was expecting. Some maltiness comes through as well, but mostly I taste the bitterness.
As it warms, just as with the smell, more maltiness comes through. But the hops are quite apparent.

Thick, warming mouthfeel. The hop presence is right up front, and really dries out the mouth and the palate.

I have about half a bottle in my snifter, and it will be a struggle to finish off the entire bottle by myself. I'm not a fan of highly hopped beer, and compared to some other barley wines I've had this is, for me, too bitter to really enjoy. For the style, it's probably not out of line, but for me, it's not my favorite.

02-12-2006 04:17:25 | More by doppelmeup
oberon

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2006 Expedition,pours a deep rich amber with a slightly off white one finger head that leaves a light amount of laces behind as it settled,aromas of brown sugar and pine and I mean big on the pine like whole hop cones just beautiful.Very nice medium to full mouthfeel wich is still slick and easy sliding down,this is one of the defining American barley wines at least this years full and sweet up front with brown sugar and dark fruit but a big resiny/piney hop note takes over midway and in to the finish.This is comparable to my personal favorite Old Ruffian in its big hop character,it dont get much better than a big American barley wine in my opinion.

02-12-2006 00:53:50 | More by oberon
RJLarse

Washington

2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

I went to a local craft beer shop and picked up two of these for tasting. I’ve never had a barley wine before so I wanted to give it a try. This one comes highly recommended. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

A medium dark copper color in the glass, with a creamy off-white head. The head is resilient, and left a medium to heavy lacing on the side of the glass while drinking.

The smell is strong, fruity and hoppy. I also think it smells a little like bourbon or whiskey.

The taste is fairly neutral at first, a little sweet and malty, but once you allow air to join the brew in your mouth it turns quite bitter. The taste of alcohol is present, which gets back to the bourbon/whiskey aroma. The aftertaste is quite strong and bitter as well. The aftertaste lingers for quite a while, and seems to be revived from to time in the mouth even without drinking more of the beer.

The mouth feel of this beer is sharp and biting.

This beer is not particularly drinkable. I found myself drinking this one slowly, and frankly not enjoying it very much. It might go well paired with some sort of robust food to quell the aftertaste. I can’t see myself drinking more than one of these in a blue moon. Perhaps barley wine is an acquired taste? It was better at the end of the glass than the beginning, but I’ll put the other one away for a while.

02-11-2006 05:37:02 | More by RJLarse
monkeybutler

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Just bought this case at the beer yard, and it says it was bottled January 2006. This might be the freshest barleywine I've ever had. The bottle says it's 9.6% abv.

Pours a dark amber with a mild head, moderate lacing and weak carbonation.

The smell is predominately citrusy hops with very mild malt undertones.

The first taste is WHOA bittering hops for this American barleywine, and a weak malty sweetness barely holding on for dear life and some alcohol notes creeping in at the very finish.

As I finished the glass, the malt came through a bit more, but it was still predominately hops.

Mouthfeel is sticky and cloying, with the hops stuck in the back of my mouth.

I have a feeling I won't be able to drink more than one or two of these in a sitting.

I know it's an American barleywine, but it's just too hoppy. Sierra Nevada is often guilty of just throwing hops at their beers, and it works about 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, the result is that the hops mask the other flavors, and the beer has poor hop/malt balance.

At least with this beer, I can sit it in my basement and wait a couple years for the hops to die off.

02-10-2006 23:28:33 | More by monkeybutler
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

The best commentary about this beer is that this is my second six-pack and I have yet to review it until now. Is it the srtength of the beer? The delicousness of the beer? Or have I simplybeen too busy? the answer is a little bit of them all.

A wonderfully complex BW, spicy on the toungue, sweet on the nose and hoppy on the mouth. Cinammon tooth pick, sickly sweet at first, then mellowing, finishes with a hop blast. The alcohol is a little unbalanced, almost tongue numbing after a while. Definaltey a sipper. It will be interesting seeing how this is at this time next year.

02-10-2006 21:13:13 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
ABV

2006 Edition. Case marked "Bottled 12/23/2005". I've enjoyed Bigfoot every year for at least a decade, and can say without question that Sierra Nevada has struck gold this year -- this is the best its ever been. One could say this offering is "over the (t)hop" in the best sense of the term. A wonderful blast of fresh hops seems to infuse the already classic monster barleywine, putting most other brews called "imperial" to shame. This is Bigfoot Imperial!

02-10-2006 07:42:50 | More by ABV
jasonpeckins32

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours copper in color, a little darker than maple syrup. An off-white/maize colored head layers the top of the glass.

The aroma is full of hoppy citrus scents. A bit piney and resiny as well. Very appealing smell.

The taste is awesome. SN Bigfoot aint no wimp, thats for damn sure. Very piney up front followed by a tart fruity flavor, and finishes nicely without too tremendous of an aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thick and syrup-like. The alcohol content has an intense warming effect. This is definitly a sipper.

02-10-2006 02:28:27 | More by jasonpeckins32
timtheenchanta

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev +6%

2005 bottle from hero27. Many thanks.

Nice dark copper light brown appearance. Aggressive pour yields one finger head with little retention. Lots of web-like lacing. Leafy hops and grapes make up the nose with some thin toasted malt in the back and a very very faint hint of alcohol. This beer hits the tongue with smooth toasted malt and fruity taste but soon attacks the buds with lots of hops. I can't believe this bottle has been sitting down for a year. There is plenty of hop taste to this. This is far more exciting than barleywines I've had in the past. Look out mouth! Very smooth feel to this beer. A little warming on the way down. Damn tasty. Grab a pint of this ale and enjoy it! I can't wait until next year when I have a bottle of this with another year on it!

02-09-2006 22:50:21 | More by timtheenchanta
revwib

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle poured in a pint glass. Dated 2006 on the cap.

Pours very nicely, cloudy with a nice head. Darkish red tint.

Smell: smells pretty hoppy, moreso than most barleywines I've tasted.

Taste: Very tasty brew. Lots of hops, and still has a nice carbonation to it. Warming to say the least.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth for so much alcohol. I really love the flavor of this beer.

Drinkability: I wouldn't want to have more than 2 of these in a night, but has a very smooth and flavorful taste. I really enjoy this year's beer.

02-09-2006 05:52:44 | More by revwib
TastyTaste

4.65/5  rDev +12%

1998 Edition, 8 years old at time of consumption.

Appearance: Still has a clear brown body, head is very small, just a little 1/4" of tan foam.

Smell: Smell is very deep and malty, oh so sweet and rich. Grapes and vinous smells permeate, fruity and full.

Taste: A little drier than I was expecting. The malt has an edge, but is mellow overall. The hops are a little subdued, but the alcohol provides a sharp backside. Mellow, yet still a strong sipper.

Drinkability: I can't say that this beer is past it's prime, it's very, very good. Fresh or aged, Bigfoot is a favorite and easy to recommend, whatever the vintage.

02-09-2006 03:55:56 | More by TastyTaste
phisig137

A fresh 2006 bottle that I decided to try a bit early. Pours a copper amber color, with a substantial head, that takes a while to die down. Leaves considerable lacing on the glass.

Being fresh, this has a super hoppy nose, it is so hoppy that perhaps it isn't even hops I smell, but pure alpha acids. It almost has a slightly metallic hop smell, which is pleasant, but very strong.

The flavor of this beer is much the same as the aroma, hops, hops, and hops, with only a slight hint of malt. The hop tingle lingers on your tongue for quite a while. While it is somewhat creamy, this is borderline undrinkable right now, due to the very harsh hops, and prevalent alcohol.

I've had some 4 year old bigfoot on tap that was incredible. It's almost hard to believe that it started this way. I'll be sure to stash the rest of this sixer away, and re-review it in about 3-4 years.

02-09-2006 01:50:45 | More by phisig137
KyleVick4

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz bottle, I didnt like the fact sierra nevada uses twist off caps, seems kinda shoddy and cheap, but hey as long as the beer is good I guess.

A: A thick rocky white head that clings to the glass made up of different sized but kinda big bubbles. The color is deep red with hints of orange.

S: Lots of piney hops. I like it. In the background there is a sweet malty smell.

T: Superb. A thick sweet beer that has a strong hop aftertaste. Slightly alcoholic but not that much. I taste malt goodness and maybe a little citrusy hop flavors. It begs for you to take that next sip, not in a minute but NOW.

M: Thick and syrupy. Chewy maltiness. It coats the back of the tounge and throat. Not bad but I am biased a little since I am more of an IPA guy.

D: Eh, I wouldnt want more than two of these bad boys in one sitting, but its so tasty that the first one goes down faster than youd think.

Another very good beer from Sierra Nevada. Kinda tough to find but if you do for sure buy a sixer.

02-09-2006 00:52:08 | More by KyleVick4
nickss

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

2006 vintage

Pours a bright redish-orange hue with a glorious 2" cap of very bubbly and very rocky foam... seems to be quite active if the carbonation is at all telling. Lacing is a thing of beauty... huge swaths appear on the glass.

Big piney citrusy aroma. The hugely unbalanced hop presence that is so familiar in this style is so well played out in this brew. A bit lacking in complexity, but I'm not so sure I care with this brew.

Huge initial bitter taste, almost like unsweatened tea, but with a sweetness to the back end. Glorious hops!... tremendously unbalanced as the aroma would suggest... barely perceptable malt, but simply dominating hops. Some definite lemon-zest becomes noticeable as the beer warms.

Tight and puckering mouthfeel... moderate thickness.... i could actually use it a bit thicker, but its a small complaint.

While this beer is fantastic, I think the drinkability is limited by its harsh hop profile and its abv.... that being said... god I love this beer... its a slap to your palate in the most absurd of ways. I never thought I'd actually say this, but I think I might enjoy it more after some aging... this brew humbles me =)

02-08-2006 01:52:43 | More by nickss
sloejams

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

2006 version

A nice, deep, thick ruby orange color with a frothy ¼ head laces well throughout the pint glass. The smell is intense – caramel malt, some citrus and a hearty punch of hops. The taste is just an intense – chewy malt with molasses, orange zest and yup, there’s hops up in it. It’s thick and syrupy and full of body and character. The alcohol warmth is soothing as it makes it’s way to the back of the tongue, leaving a sweet resin. It even has a sharp bitter aftertaste that follows.

This is far more hoppy than the previous years. That brings something unique and it’s quite welcome.

02-07-2006 22:45:44 | More by sloejams
Higravity

My first Bigfoot of the year 06.

A- Nice dark complexion gives a a good head and lots of lacing.
S- Alcohol and hops with sweet malt dripping down the back of my throat.
T- Big up front bitter that is softer that the past or maybe I have gotten harder. Lots of malt flavors and a little syrupy with alcohol popping out all over the place.
M- Chewy and syrupy yes but still thinner than I remember.
D- Good for a few most anytime, best as a night time sipper, but I will drink this all year, and with some in the cellar the following years too.

02-07-2006 21:28:25 | More by Higravity
doubleipa

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

'06 Version. I had an '05 last night. Is this really the same beer? Aroma was DIPA hoppy. Not much of a maly smell, at all. Rocky, light-brown head, excellent lacing, and the head lasted a long time. Moderately sweet early and long. Really does taste/smell more like a DIPA than "classic" barleywines". Body was light to medium. Really can't taste the alcohol. This has made me re-think whether I want to age an entire case for future consumption. Hmmm I think I'll review after 6 months and see what happens.
2/17/06 Update. Had the '06 on tap last night. Now I'm really confused. I expected big hoppiness, but was dissapointed. Malt characteristics were much stronger than hops. The waitress assured me that this was the '06 version, not '05.

02-07-2006 18:52:56 | More by doubleipa
poluti

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours creamy tan head with great retension (plenty of carbonation bubbles up the side). It's a dark copper color skewed towards the red side. Overall, a great looking beer. The alcohol is definitely noticable in this beer. It was very fruity in aroma. The taste is balanced extremely well. The chewy malt and the hop kick go side by side for a great session. The mouthfeel is thick with a pleasant lingering on the back of the tongue. Overall it's a pretty strong beer. I will definitely drink it again but stay to one or two a night.

02-07-2006 11:18:29 | More by poluti
LordChesterfield

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

This is a royal brew. Big in every way and elegant at the same time. The smell is a wonderful piney smell that resembles boulevard's nutcracker ale. The taste is very bitter but easy to get used to and is complemented with a slick oily mouthfeel. Hop oils? Dark copper in color and a head that can be incited to stand but will soon diminish to a lacing. This beer is one of the strongest in terms of ABV I've had and I can't even taste the alcohol because of the hops. As far as I'm concerned, every bit of hop bitterness is needed to balance the otherwise cloying sweetness. Drinkability of course is subjective but at 9.6%ABV so much hops, two of these goes a long way. Complex and tough, this beer has too much class for you.

02-06-2006 05:16:59 | More by LordChesterfield
kdmorse

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Gorgeous ruby color topped with ½ inch of off-white head. Even with a vigorous pour, only a small head. Head fades quickly, but lacing clings to the glass like there is no tomorrow.

S: Balanced and big smell. Lots of malt at first with a good smash of piney hops. Need a Bigfoot air freshener for my car.

T/M: Thick malt taste while beer dances on my tongue. Lots of sweet flavors (carmel?) that are difficult to identify. Big/piney hop taste washes the palate clean.

D: Lots of alcohol, but still very drinkable. Thick and enjoyable mouthfeel that makes it fun to drink. Could lead to a lot of trouble (almost 10% abv) if I didn’t have a big meal in my stomach.

Notes: Been looking forward to this beer for a long time, and it does not disappoint. Will go through a few 6-packs while it is in stock and put one away for some aging.

02-05-2006 21:10:10 | More by kdmorse
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.