1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. A nice tan head forms on top of a dark bronze colored beer. Not much carbonation action to speak of.

Smell is citrusy hops. Grapefruits and pine needles abound. Freshly cut hay as well.

Very hoppy profile with this one. More hops than other barleywines I have sampled. Alcohol is very subdued with this one. Mostly fresh hop taste and bitterness and well as lemon and very tart grapefruit. This is a hop lovers dream. I was looking for a little more hop/malt balance to this one.

Bitter mouthfeel with a nice warming quality. Hop bitterness stays with you for quite awhile. The hops are about the only thing to this beer. Not balanced enough for a BW. Tastes like DIPA with all of the hops in this one. I think I will look for something with a little more balance.

As a BW this is way off. As a DIPA, pretty good.

SaCkErZ9, Feb 22, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

A 2005 version that I have been sitting on for some time. The color is a auburn brown hue with good foam with small sized bubbles. The head does creep to edges of the glass but never dissipates altogether. The lacing was good as well.

The smell is very noticeable. Quite hoppy for a barelywine with some bubblegum hops and grapefruit essence. A touch of pine and citrus around the edges as well. A good malt around rounds out the background but hops are most noticeable.

The taste has a great hop presence. The malt is much more noticeable then the smell would indicate but still the hops are more dominate. (I;m thinking if aged the malt would become more balanced). The malt is basic flavor with some sweet grain taste. A touch of caramel but mostly sweet malt. The hops are well balanced in themselves. The bittering is noticeable with piney tastes that give a good bite that isn't overwhelming. It finishes well with a sticky grapefruit taste that gives it the bubblegum taste.

The body is good. The phenol is a little strong but I think more aging would help give it more balance. Overall a spectacular beer that over time I could see becoming well balanced and fantastic.

Oxymoron, Feb 22, 2006
4.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Meditations on the 2006 expedition. A genre-bender of a beer.

Bigfoot, a self-proclaimed barleywine, explores that grey area between that distinguishes barleywines from strong IPAs, both by keeping the ABV rather low and by upping the hop ante for a barleywine.
This brew is a clear amber that shows hints of tangerine when held to direct light. The head clumps and lingers throughout a pint.

The bouquet shouts hoppiness: a citrus-filled cornucopia of aromas--lemon and grass being the most distinct odors. Similarly, the flavor itself is dominated by citrus upfront and then followed by a bitter smack on the back of the tongue. The lingering aftertaste is
dry and bitter. This is a heavy-bodied brew with lots of strength across the palate, and not surprisingly is a sipper. Though, for a barleywine I suppose the citrus adds a refreshing drinkability that is often absent in the style. Overall, truly a hop lover's dream come true.

But Bigfoot, beyond its own characteristics, asks larger questions about fidelity to style and those hazy boundaries between say a Double IPA and a barleywine. Should I think about Bigfoot relative to other barleywines? By claiming barleywine on the label, do I have a right (or maybe even obligation) to expect a certain style of beverage? Or, on the other hand is the ultimate worth of Bigfoot measured simply by how enjoyable it is in its own right? Should my review reflect Bigfoot-as-a-barleywine? Would labeling it a "Double IPA" make any difference whatsoever? Do these sorts of postmodern musings matter to anyone but the critic?

In any case, this beer--whatever it is--is one to remember and savor.

benito, Feb 22, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

What a huge fresh fresh brew. Pours copper, thin perfect tan head stays throughout and provides ample uniform lacing.

Brutaly hopped, Ressinous as hell, Grapefruit citrus. Damn this is not for the feint of heart. Double bastard comes to mind as far as the over the top aggressive flavor. Where the beers become completely differnent is the Bigfoot has a somewhat sweet caramel presence that tames it enough to keep it interesting. Alcohol serves as a spiced up finish with intense and linger aftertaste.

This is one of the bigger beers I've had to date. Not in abv% but in the massiveness of the flavours. Its a beer you'll never forget. Aging seems like it would be good for this brew.

DogFood11, Feb 22, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

The first thing I thought when I tried the 2006 Bigfoot was that this one will be spectacular after a year or so to cool down. As is though, it is pretty damn good.

Pours a pleasant clear amber, with golden highlights. Decent head, which results in some thick lacing. Smells lovely, fresh wet hops, candy, piney. The sugery candy is intriguing. A hint of what might be to come after time.

I let this one warm a hair more than I would have. But warming it really brought out some flavors slightly overshadowed in the cooler version I had the first time around.

Big big hops, but only a passing attempt at balance. The sugery candy comes out, but only after a full frontal attack on the tastebuds by a team of piney hops and grassy hops.

Oily and a bit hot. I suspect time will ease off the alchohol a bit, and produce a real winner. For those that think that aging beer is foolish, I think in a year this bottle could convert thee.

Overall, a good beer, but falls short of greatness. But lest I hammer home my ideas on aging this one, I think greatness is just over the horizon.

hustlemuscle, Feb 22, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The appearance is a dark ruby red with more head than I would have expected although still fairly minimal. I had never had a barleywine before so I didn't know what to expect. The smell is very fruity like an IPA, yet more solid. The taste is bitter like an IPA but has a much nicer taste on the back palatte than most IPAs that I have had. The mouthfeel is pretty good for a bitter beer. Considering the price, taste, and alcohol content of this beer, I would consider buying it again and possibly drinking several in a night.

doctorjoeyboey, Feb 22, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer pours a complex coppery caramel amber with an off white head.

Smell: BIG! This is a big beer and it lets you know it from the start. Flamboyant floral hops lead in the nose. They are paralleled by a sugary sweet deep dark malt base, mmm.

Taste: The taste is as big as the smell. I would not consider this a balanced beer although it has a balance of flavors. It has an extreme sweet toasty malt, brown sugar and dark fruit characteristic. It also has an extreme grapefruit citrus tart and piney hop bitter. They do run parallel but not blended. The nose and the beginning of this beer seems dominated by the former, that is the sweet malt and as it passes through the middle it move to the latter that is a yeasty hop citrus pine bitter. I must admit I am not a big fan of the pine aftertaste in my beers but this does not go to extreme and I can enjoy it. I do prefer this beer with cheese as a chaser to help neutralize the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium thick beer that is smooth through the middle and has a dry finish.

Drinkability: This is a tasty beer but for me the hop bitterness is a bit much to consider it highly drinkable. It goes down enjoyable but with some effort.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Feb 21, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

This is a damn fine brew. 2006 edition is my first bout with bigfoot and it came through big time. Pours from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass with a nice, slow-to-rise two and a half finger head of both big and small air pockets The head fills a pint glass perfectly and about 1/2 and inch still remains even 10 minutes later, lacing all the way down. THe color is rich red with golden hues throughout. The smell is phenomenal, honey, citrus, BIG floral hops, spice, and some piney notes. If you hold this one out in front of you as you walk you can catch faint hints of the aroma in the air it is that pronounced. The taste is right on with the smell, some might say the hops are overpowering, and definately they are present, but there is a depth to this beer like none I have had before. The hops are just gravy. There is great flavor from citrus notes, sweet malt, organic grains and even some subdued dark fruits. An exceptional taste from this brew. The mouthfeel is nice with a tingling carbonation and smooth texture. Not everyone will like this one. But you have to admit, if you have tried it, there are so many things happening here that it cannot go without comment.

Cheers to SN on this one. Thanks.

hoffman, Feb 21, 2006

This is a exceptional barlywine. I had it on-tap last night at the Olde Hickory Taproom.

The beer was served in a Chimay glass. It had little head. The color was a deep mahogony. There was really not much smell that I could pick up on. The taste was very good. It reminded me a little bit of 90 min. only better. There was a pretty big fruit taste. The mouthfeel had no bite at all. The smoothest high ABV beer I have had. The alcohol was there but just not too overpowering. I will drink these again and again. This beer affected my ability to keep a bowling ball between the gutters.

Enola, Feb 19, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

When, 2006 vintage, I poured the beer it was a deep amber color, with the slightish tint of read. The head was a cream color, and it hund agound for about a minute or two, but never completely disapated. Carbonation was average, but too much, but enough to keep a little of the head around. The remaining head remained on the sides of the glass while I drank.

Keeping in the tradition of the Sierra Nevada the cascade hops were in full effect. From drinking other barleywines I was not quite prepared for this, so I was waiting until I drank a second to write a review. The smell of the hops was strong. Almost an herby/fruit smell, with the slightest hint of alcohol, but the alcohol is not a bad thing in this case.

Taste wise it has a hint of fruit? as soon as it hits your mouth, but that soon turns to a slight alcohol taste, and then into the sierra signature hopps. This beer seemed to me to be medium bodied, slighty heavy on the stomach.

Drinkability....I was surprised by the first one, so I sat on it for a couple days and then drank another. I am just gettting into the heavily hopped beers, and I know thats what the brewer was going for. If you are into highly hopped beers this one is right up your alley. I liked the second one more than the first so I recommend at least drinking two. If you like Sierra Nevada in general deffinitly try it you should not be disappointed, if you don't like their Pale Ale I would not reccommend the Bigfoot for you.

I hear that the malt comes out if you let it age a year so I think that I will sit on one of these until next winter to check for a difference in taste.

jameaterblues, Feb 19, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2006 Vintage

I had the 2005 Bigfoot, last year, as my first Barleywine and first strong (~10% abv) beer. I remembered it being remarkably good and insanely drinkable. The 2006 version reminds me exactly why. This beer is spectacular.

A - Poured a beautiful clear cedar color with a quarter inch off-white head. A "thick" and "oily" pour. Light lace rings remain at stopping points as the glass slowly empties.

S - The aroma is heavenly--sweet, flowery and fruity all rolled together. Tempting, to say the least.

T - Sierra Nevada certainly knows how to do hops, and this is a showcase of their finest accomplishment in that area. A perfect strong hop bitterness combines with smooth underlying malt flavors to form a fullness of taste that ranks among the top beers avaialable for "hop heads." The best tasting Barleywine I have tasted, hands down.

M - Slick and full mouthfeel, really coats every inch of the palate with its deliciousness.

D - If there's one downfall to this beer it's that it is WAY TOO DRINKABLE. I remember going through 5 of my 6 2005 Bigfoots in one session. It should be illegal for a beer of this strength to go down so easily. AMAZING.

JiminKY, Feb 18, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap at Stuffed Sandwich, I tasted the '02, '03, and '05 Bigfeet.

They were all a rich deep brown color with slight haze. Aroma was mild caramel. Hop aroma subdued in these samples.

The '02 was a bit raisiny with a stiff almost harsh bitterness. The '03 had an intense caramel flavor and was also quite bitter and piney. The '05 was perfect. Caramel was toned down quite a bit. Hops were gloriously juicy. Great finish. Definitely the '05 was my favorite of the 3.

Overall: It's impressive how different the Bigfoot is in different years. All three were very high quality barleywines.

oggg, Feb 18, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2006

This beer was tasted in a snifter from the bottle.

This beer pours a rich burgandy color with a huge frothy off white head that holds and laces nicely. The beer smells of dark fruits possibly plums or prunes. There is also the very expected smell of hops associated with the beer. The first taste that hits you with this one is the hops. There is also a citrus (grapefruit) flavor that comes along with this one. Additionally the same dark fruit flavors that were associated with the aromas are present. Fantastic mouthfeel. Very thick, almost syrupy along with a nicely balanced carbonation. Overall, this is a fantastic barley wine that I will enjoy with the coming of each winter season.

MSchae1017, Feb 18, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very thick pour... dark brown/orange highlights. Head is a dense 1/2" type with tan and off-white lacing. Glass stick is tremendous with slow peaks and an awesome look.

Aroma is citrus, everywhere... some alcohol with grass and pine... some slight malt/sweet floral.

Earthly bitter and orange with pine on the taste... alcohol and caramel... bitterness lingers forever.

Creamy, smooth mouthfeel.

Fugazme, Feb 17, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

2006 BigFoot Barleywine 12 oz bottle:

Appearance: Poured into a chalice, Bigfoot pours a deep, rich, mahogony hue. A small, off-white, foamy dissapears rather quickly leaving minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet, dark fruits, with hints of caramel and brown sugar and rubbing alcohol.

Taste: Initial bitterness of piney hops dominate the beginning, the middle transitions to a malty, caramel like semi-sweetness. Alcohol dominates the finish, almost astringent, bittering hops make an appearance leaving a lasting impression on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick, moderately carbonated and somewhat slick and oily.

Drinkability: The 2006 Bigfoot could use some time in the cellar. Very hot with alcohol dominating. Once this baby mellows a bit to let the other flavors through, this would be a fantastic barleywine. As it stands now its merely good. A beer to be sipped for sure. I'll put a few these in the cellar and try again next year.

SwillBilly, Feb 17, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

2006 edition. Pours ruby red, thick tan and sticky head. Lots of bubble trails in there.

All piney hop aroma, some toffee and alcohol. Reminds me of Celebration.

Rich toffee, carmel, but mostly BIG piney hops. A boistrous floral hop bitter finish. Huge amount of hops in this. Alcohol is apparent, making this one almost hot.

Smooth, almost oily mouthfeel. Medium bodied.

Hop monster, this. Maybe after six months or a year in the cellar it'll settle down. I sense there are more flavors in there, but the hops just simply overpower. I'll stuff the other bottle in a dark place and dig it up later.

Thanks, again, the Mr. Hustlemuscle for the samples.

UPDATE: After a year in the cellar, this beer holds up very nicely. As a matter of fact, the above review still applies.

2008

Pours a deep reddish amber with a sticky, thick white head.

Hoppy aroma for sure, but with some true sweet malt smells as well, fruity and a smidge bready. Alcohol is detectable.

Taste is on par with aroma. Bitter hops, sweet fruity malts and a wallop of warming alcohol. There is a tanginess in there as well, a citrusy, grapefruit like bitterness. A palate buster, but what a beautiful palate buster it is.

Full, oily mouthfeel. Meaty and slick.

I'm having the last of three six packs. I can't seem to pass by this when I see it, so, yea, I find it drinkable alright. As good, if not better, than previous years.

budsboy, Feb 17, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pulled up from a 50 deg cellar and poured into a snifter. I love the drawing on the inside of the cap.

A: Nice amer/copper color with a head that slowle fades.

S: Nice hop aroma with some burn sugar sweetness. My mouth is watering just sniffing this beer.

T: Good flavor here. Its got some sweetness in the begining but quickly the bitterness from the hops takes over. And that bitterness stays for a while just begging you to drink more. Very warming too, great for a cold night.

M: Great thick, creamy feel to this. Coats the mouth a bit too.

Excellent barleywine. I love that its pretty widely available also. Now that I'm finished reviewing this, its time to pair it up with some stillton cheese. Delicious!

dick783, Feb 16, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

2006 bottle. Pours out a brown with a thin light head that collars around the edges. A nice hoppy smell to it-though also a little syrup, citrusy, piney. A great cascade hop smell, but maybe another or two in the mix. This just has an awesome smell. Tastes very strong. The hops stand out right at the beginning--citrusy and piney, but it is followed with a pretty good malt kick. It tastes just a little nutty. The most notable thing about this one is the big kick of alcohol in the mouthfeel though the taste is only minimal-giving it a little fruity taste. Drinkable in the slow, reflecting way, but not something to drink a ton of.

cracgor, Feb 16, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance: This poured a beautiful hazy dark ruby color with a light creamy and foamy tan head. The beer label is kinda earthy and ugly but the unique underside of the cap rocks, 2 campers and a big foot drinking beer together.

Aroma: This smells just like SNPA, another words awesome. It is hoppy, sweet, citrusy and loaded with pine tree. For a barley wine though I would say it is mild.

Taste/mf: More like SNPA than celeration because it lacks much malty goodness but it still kicks your ass. Awesome hop punch and dry citrys flavor rapes your tastebuds. The mouthfeel is slick and sticky, medium.

Overall this tastes like a cracked out double ipa more than a barleywine. There eisn't enough mouth waming going on here. Don't get me wrong it is a great beer, but it is missing something to be called a barleywine. But i am reviewing this as a beer for some reason i am not docking it in points because it kicks ass. This brew is quite drinkable for me though, a speedy small sipper.

kbnooshay, Feb 15, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

2006 bottle poured a nice deep amber with a very light tan head. aroma as soon as I started to pour this in my glass the hops came out nice and strong, putting this to the nose got a nice sweet maltness comes out mixed with those big hops, than some pine, orange, grapefruit, slight wiff of alcohol. flavor, those hops are over powering even for a hop head like myself I like big hops beers and this one fills the hop cravings, tham once the palate got use to the hops they smoothed right out and the sweetness and malts calme out along with the citrus fruits and alcohol nice dry finish

walleye, Feb 14, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

This review of bigfoot is a 2006 sampling of a 2000 bigfoot I've cellared since 2000.

I'm not a fan of overly hopped beers ala the current trends. I generally prefer beers with a good balance of malt and hops. I set this brew in the cellar back in 2000 because it was too hoppy for my tastes. That said, 6 years in the cellar and this beer is wonderful! It poured a wonderful deep amber color with good carbonation. The head was nice even and steady through most of the glass.

Smell is definitely citrus almost to the point of warm ripe fruit. Not offensive in any way, but a blend of wonderful smells that make you want to take a sip.

Taste is rich and full. Malty sweetness paired with a medium solid citrus / orange taste. Interestingly enough there was a nice toffee undertone just at the edge of the tongue.

Some sediment was evident in the glass. I didn't notice sediment in the bottle and wasn't expecting this. Not a detractor at all.

Based on the results of this tasting I will definitely be putting a case or two of this in my beer cellar. This brew defintely has the legs to be a longer term aging brew. I can easily imagine drinking this at 10 years old and being amazed as well!

barleywinebrewer, Feb 13, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

penultimate stop on the night's tour at the lizard

nice brownish ruby color with an also nice rocky head sitting above

aromas of dark fruit...very fruity
dark fruit flavors, too, with dark cherry rounding out each mouthful. caramel as well. very little of the typical malt flavors...mostly fruit and hop character (of which there is plenty)

strong bitterness and my burps taste like citrus

yum yum. the huge estery profile didn't appeal to me so much, but a fine brew

bruachan, Feb 12, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Holy hell I wasnt expecting this beer to be this good.

Insane hoppiness. Tastes more like a DIPA than a barleywine. Intense bitterness, with pine notes leading the way. Alot of malt behind it creating a brown sugar sweetness. This feels like Celebration with a kick. Im liking it, Alot.

Thick mouthfeel. Feels like a sipper but goes down like a slugger. I didnt think I would like a SN beer as much as this year's Celebration. This one comes awful close.

Ill be drinking some of these until the supply dries up. I think Ill hold a few for next year for comparison. At 9.6 ABV I have to temper my drinkability rating - I wont be trying to polish off a 6er of this in a sitting anytime soon.

wingnutter, Feb 12, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured a 2006 vintage into a snifter glass.

Very pretty auburn color, like a cream sherry. Not much head and only a slight bit of foam around the edges, although for the style this is probably appropriate.

Initial smell was quite hoppy, some grapefruit, some sweetness. Very piney. As it warms, a bit more malt comes through.

Tastes quite bitter, more bitterness than I was expecting. Some maltiness comes through as well, but mostly I taste the bitterness.
As it warms, just as with the smell, more maltiness comes through. But the hops are quite apparent.

Thick, warming mouthfeel. The hop presence is right up front, and really dries out the mouth and the palate.

I have about half a bottle in my snifter, and it will be a struggle to finish off the entire bottle by myself. I'm not a fan of highly hopped beer, and compared to some other barley wines I've had this is, for me, too bitter to really enjoy. For the style, it's probably not out of line, but for me, it's not my favorite.

doppelmeup, Feb 12, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2006 Expedition,pours a deep rich amber with a slightly off white one finger head that leaves a light amount of laces behind as it settled,aromas of brown sugar and pine and I mean big on the pine like whole hop cones just beautiful.Very nice medium to full mouthfeel wich is still slick and easy sliding down,this is one of the defining American barley wines at least this years full and sweet up front with brown sugar and dark fruit but a big resiny/piney hop note takes over midway and in to the finish.This is comparable to my personal favorite Old Ruffian in its big hop character,it dont get much better than a big American barley wine in my opinion.

oberon, Feb 12, 2006
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.