Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

This is my first review and im psyched about it!

Right away reminded me of a stronger IPA, this just may remian my favorite style of brew. Bought a six pack after reading a bunch of helpful reviews.

Appearance is an orange brown, with tints of red and the mug smells of alcohol (almost too much for me.) I picked up a lot of hops right a way which surprised me, having never had a barleywine before. Definitely doesnt remind me of wine.

Tastes unbelievable, very bitter with hints of citrus, great blend of hops and malt. Again, I really enjoyed the hop flavor in this. Also strong caramel flavor, however very refreshing.

The drinkabilty is incredible, everytime i went to take a whiff I ended up taking a sip. Has that creamy, milky character that all beers should strive for.

An awesome one, got me buzzed.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

2005 Bigfoot

Pours burnt orange with a white head. Big cascade nose. Fantastic mouthfeel - full and sweet but backed by massive amounts of NW hops. The malts provide a carmel flavor. The hops are pine and citrus. Gentle warming from the alcohol.

American barleywine delivered in the typical SIerra Nevada fashion. A standrd setter.

10 oz. in a Maredsous glass at Patton Alley Pub, Springfield, Mo.

Hazed dark copper with off white head.

Serious hops in the nose, of course. Pine and grapefruit. Just a hint of malt, gone as soon as it's noticed.

Hops in your face! Pine and grapefruit, just like the smell. I wonder why they don't call this an imperial IPA? The malt is so hard to nail down. The hops do a nice job of hiding the high ABV, until you finish the glass and realize what you drank. Super astringent.

Compared to the bottle this was substantially cloudier and darker. Aromas, flavors, and mouthfeel seemed toned down just a touch. It didn't seem to have the complete over the top hop vibe going I get from the bottle. That said it was still very effin' good!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2005:

beautifully rich red, with a khaki head that drops away. looking through light, this beer is amazingly clear and a glowing, bright mahogany. looks like my gibson sg all polished up.

aroma has raisins and vanilla with some pine coming through from hops. very ripe fruit, close to overripe. a bit boozy, almost like rum in some ways. as it warms hops really come out, with lots of pine and earthiness.

taste: strong, pungent fruit, very ripe and dark. raisin, but also a spiced fruit, a touch of tropical fruit, leather, and bitter citrus and pine from the hops. some breadiness and biscuit comes through as it warms, as does alcohol.

awesome carbonation for a barleywine, really helps balance things out and not get too syrupy or cloying. incredibly bitter finish where the hops assert themselves and don't let go, lasting almost forever in the mouth. burns a bit when you swallow from the strong hop presence and the alcohol starting to peak through. excellent finish overall.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

2005 vintage. Bigfoot is a deep copper color with a large (very large for a barleywine) head. The head is tan and frothy with nice retention. Citrusy hops have a strong presence in the aroma, light caramel malt smell is also noted. Taste starts off very hoppy in a west coast citrusy sort of way. The hops are soon joined by a slick malty taste which give way to more hops in the finish. Fruity ale flavors also run throughout the sip. This is definently a west coast interpretation of the style, normally I like my barleywines a little less hoppy, but this is a damn fine beer.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

2005 Edition
12 oz Bottle

Sampled: 3.6.05

Poured like thinned caramel, producing a bubble pocked foam head that faded quickly in the wide snifter. Little to no lacing resulted while drinking.

The nose is rich. A satisfying composite of caramel malts, anise, rye and barley. Some hops jump up to mingle with the alcohol. This bottle's aroma is not as sweet as past years' offerings, but I've also enjoyed 2003 & 2004 later in the cycle of their vintage. I consider that to be a significant detail to point out when it comes to commenting on this year's brew. That goes equal in smell and in…

…the taste is (( BITTER )). Whoa. I don't know if when I see this beer referred to as “green” in other reviews (that are specifically sampled early after bottling) that this is what people are talking about, but I assume so, and I concur. Now, with that said, the beer is still delicious. I mean, heck, I LIKE bitter. I've laid down a few from this same six pack, so we'll see in 6mos/1yr/2yrs what may come when the hops mellow and time works its magic. Anyway…the bitterness is rounded off with some sweet malts in the middle of your sip, but the end is bitter again. I think some age will add the complexity I've been used to when drinking this beer so late after brewing. The mouth is well carbonated and coated with hop oil bitterness.

Drinking this beer is warming. Warm belly, warm face. Heaviness slowed me down and I drank two over the course of an hour & a half or so.

I wish I had reviewed bottles I've drunk in the past as they were much more “ready” than this bottle. However, I've made it a mission for myself to never just review something from memory alone, so this beer gets its honest shot from this year's batch in it's current state. That's how it goes...

I will definitely check back in 6 to give a half year review though!

===
===

*UPDATE*

10.25.05 - So, I cracked a bottle from this same 6 pack this past weekend (10.23.05) and man has it mellowed out on the bitterness. MUCH, much better and more to what I expected. I updated the taste rating to reflect this change. I'd have given this a 4.5 if it tasted like this the first time around, so I averaged the previous rating 3.5 and the 4.5, and gave it a 4 since i'm lead to believe aged beers shouldn't really be reviewd. I figure inside a year is enough leeway...

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

The '05 version from Sierra Nevada.

The brew pours a deep copper-brown which emanates a healthy, cakey head. The foams subsides rather quickly, but stays with the pint almost to the end. Leaves a slight lace on the glass. Smell is solid, but not spectacular. Alcohol is very evident in the aroma.

Taste is very good. Bitter intense hop flavor is at forefront. The brew tingles the palate on all sides. You can feel the alcohol warming the body. Good choice for a cold rainy night like tonight.

Althought I wouldn't consider this a session brew, it is still quite drinkable considering the barley wine style. All in all a solid barley wine. If I had a cellar I definitely would age this stuff for a year or so to mellow it our a bit.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

We did a small vertical here a week or so ago. We sampled 03 04 05 versions side by side. Here's what I got:

03 - Brown color with a ring of head over top, kind of dirty looking. The nose was raisiney with a slifht chocolate sweetness as well. The flavor still had some of the hop present. I really enjoyed the maltyness and dark fruit tones that came out from the age of this one. The feel was moderate to thick with a light carbonation. Three years did this beer good. I really enjoyed it.

04 - Poured an ambered brown color with a finger of head that stayed nicely. The nose was crisp, with a nice dose of hop and a slight roasted character alongside some dark fruityness. The flavor was mellowed a bit, but there was a sweet citrusy and a slight piney hop and a deep dark caramel malt. The feel was thick and great. Very good brew. I liked the residual bitter left on my tongue a lot.

5 - Poured a copper color with a 2 finger head that fell to coat the beer. The nose was nice and piney, kind of like being in a pine forest. Very strong and woodsey. The flavor was sweet sweet hop. Very brilliant hops over a deep caramel malt. The feel was thick, slightly syrupy. Great. Overall, I think this was my favorite of the vintages. Everything was in tune with each other.

Ratings will reflect the 05 beer.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

A very hoppy barley wine...hides the alcohol, well. very sweet on first sip but the aftertaste is to die for. You never want this flavor to leave you mouth.

The aroma is fantastic...floral but not like a flower shop...more forestral.

Just got a case of the 2005 for 32 bucks...a steal considering Old Horizontal is made right around the corner and is 12 bucks a six. Gonna cellar half the case at least and try again next year.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Dark amber. So pretty and hazy. Nice head.

Smells like bigtime hops. So much hops, so many hops. Flowers and grains and sunshine. Really one of the most wonderful hop smells I ever hope to come across.

Huge Hop flavor. I meant to capitalize the H in "Hop." Floral and grainy. Too strong at first to really analyze, but after a while you find the floral-ness upfront, followed by a roasted, slightly malty flavor, ending with more sour hops. Wonderful.

What's the most surprising is how easy this beer is to drink. No, It's not like you're able to slam it, but it goes down pretty goddamn smooth for a Barleywine. Really a fantastic example of the style.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Cloudy deep amber, with slow carbonation working its way slowly up toward the the two finger frumpy tan head. Strong smell of cherries and apples, sweet carmel and citrus notes. Chewy taste of cherries, berries and dark fruits and honey. Orange peel hops come out in the end. A lot of alcohol on the finish, and lingering bitterness. Very heavy brew, filling as they come.

3.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Is $13.34 a lot for a six of this? Not that I mind, just seems a little pricey.

Anyways, it pours a really gorgeous deep red, with hints of golden brown around the edges. The head is off-white, fluffy, and leaves a thick trace down the side of my pint glass.

It smells absolutely wonderful. Sweet, malty aromas with a hint of herbal hops. It's hard to tell exactly what odors are present, but the overall smell is powerful and is almost overwhelming.

It's a good tasting beer, I'm not going to lie. It starts off sweet, then the hops kick in and it is rather bitter. So bitter in fact that it burnt my throat. The alcohol in this one is all over. You can't get around it, it is a strong beer. I noticed caramel flavors and oily hops. It left my tongue feeling numb after two.

The fact that this is so high in alcohol, so bitter, and such a pungent beer makes this less than totally drinkable. A good beer to sip on a brisk afternoon, but nothing I'd bring to a get together. It's pretty harsh, but it is rather delicious in small doses.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - 2005 batch, Deep amber color. Good off-white head, decent head rentention and beer lace. Light to medium carbonation.

Smell - Fruity esters are prominent. There is a pine and citrus aroma present. Malt aroma serves as a background. Hops aroma is subtle. Alcohol smell is also in there, and is easier to detect as the beer warms.

Taste - This one is a taste explosion. Really bitter, so hop heads should enjoy it. Malt/hop balance is pretty good for the American style. Alcoholic heat sits in the background.

Mouthfeel - Thick. The hop bitterness clings for a long time, adding to the overall big empression.

Drinkability - Well, this is a loaded question... It tastes great, but it is so heavy and filling. This might do well with some aging.

Comments - This beer makes me think of SIerra Nevda Pale Ale raised to a higher power. In years past, I was not a big fan of Bigfoot, but 2005 holds a lot of promise.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

2005
Nice tan yellow head that reduces to a fuzzy film across the top that remains there throughout the entire drink. Oh yeah, I'm in such a hurry to taste it I almost forgot to take a look at the color - deep amber hue. I set it down on the counter and took a step back. I like the way this looks, it looks like a meal.
Definitely some alcohol in the smell of this, some grapefruit..? maybe some undertones of banana. Great hoppy smell but not overwhelming to me at all.
The taste is citric, again the grapefruit. Good bitter from the Chinook and Centennial hops. The alcohol sort of slams you at the end. I'm tasting this for a while after I'm done, nice!
Mouthfeel is medium with a crisp feel and a dry finish.
I found this remarkably easy to drink considering the 9.6 ABV. I'm looking forward to re-visiting this again after it cellars for a while, plus at like $9 a sixer the beer/buck ratio is pretty sweet.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

I braved the 2005 expedition. And a expedition it is... This barleywine is young, but I braved it anyway. It pours a cloudy amber color and has a nice tan head that leaves thick sticky lace on my glass. The aroma is a wall of hops... so much so that you can barely detect any of the malt and there is definitely a lot of malt in this beer. The taste is a immediate assault of hops on the tongue, backed up by a thick malty body. I can't wait to try it again after it ages a year or two... If I can wait that long. Lastly it is lacking in drinkability simply because it has a high enough ABV to smack you down if you get careless, but then it is so good it is best savored not swilled down like an American piss beer.

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

Edition 2005.
Hazy appearance that clears as it warms a bit. Nice amber color, unreal head retention and lacing given the ABV. Aroma is all hops. I don't get any malt character showing through on this. Borderline Imperial IPA. Tastes follows aroma, all hops. Resiny citrusy hops. They have their place, just not at this level in a barleywine in my opinion. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy, hard to get past the hop bite in this one.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

2008 vintage. Always best FRESH imho.

Pours a brilliantly clear russet color with a blossoming light beige loose 2 1/2" head. Slow upward moving visible carbonation confirms this is a dense ale. The best head retention I've witnessed in any domestically brewed (non-Belgian style) beer that I can remember. SICK amounts of fluffy & globular lace regions all the way down my nonic pint glass.

Booming hop barrage in the nose quilted by a sturdy and sweet malt base. There's some burnt caramel and tropical fruits entwined somewhere in this bittersweet bouquet.

Ahhh...there we go. The hops are here with my full attention. Bitter, rindy, resiny, prickly, gritty, dry and GLORIOUS. A true homage to the wonderful hop. The malt foundation doesn't let this crazy S.O.B. get too far off track though. The track has been laid by the sweet and thorough malts and the crazy hop train is speeding ahead at full steam. All aboooaaarrrd!!!

Mouthfeel is very nice. Well carbonated and playful keeps this full bodied brute on its best behavior. Dry and bittersweet long flavorful finish.

Drinkability is great also. Warming and restorative for a Super Bowl Sunday Winter evening.

Overall a tame yet bustling beast that I look forward to encountering every New Year. This is the 25th anniversary of this perennial favorite, and it's a grand offering indeed. Long live Bigfoot!!! I absolutely adore this creature!!!
___
Poured from a 3 liter magnum - just kidding! From the usual stubby 12 oz. brown bottle '2005' edition.

Brilliant clear russet-crimson color with a wonderous fluffy light beige head that clings and stands tall.

Scent of citrus floral hops all up in your grill with a fresh malted butter cookie smell. Fruity & doughy all at once.

Powdered sugary sweey malt flavor supported by sturdy blossoming orchestra of glorious hops. So many flavors: dark fruit, grapefruit and cinnamon - can't nail them all, but spectacular. Warming alcohol, though it's well masked with the hearty ingredients.

Mouthfeel is splendidly smooth and slippery (oily). Full bodied and just the right amount of carbonation to keep it from clinging to the inside of your mouth. Juicy beginning & middle with a firm dry, long finish.

Drinkability is surprisingly high due to it almost 10% abv. Be careful!

This is a superb vintage with everything in the right place - beautifully balanced. I'd love to try this side-by-side with Great Lakes Brewing's 'Nosferatu' - but I think Bigfoot will reign for now.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This was a pleasant surprise.

Pours a hazy burnished ruby-copper with a long lasting, creamy, tan head. Lots of very fine carbonation and thick sheats of clingy lace.

Aromas of vanilla, caramel with a powerful dose of floral hops. . This hopped up aroma was my first tip that this brew was not your average malt-heavy Barley-Wine.

There is definite strong malty background and caamel in the middle but for me this was more grapefruity cascade type hoppy brew. A long dry finish with no noticeable alcohol.

Medium bodied, actually rather light considering the gravity of this aptly named brew.

Very drinkable, not the heavy, syrupy brew that I was expecting. This is a great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow...2005 is my first intro to Bigfoot and let me just say that the bigger the foot, the harder it kicks your ass.

I was impressed by the head first and foremost, a light tan/brown and standing about 2-3 fingers. The head stuck around for almost the whole duration of the brew leaving some beautiful lacing on the side of the glass.

My friend actually smelled this beer from around the corner as it is quite aromatic.

The brew itselfwas a bit floral at first,more hops than expected for a barley wine, but considering the aroma I knew it was coming. The carmelly sweet malt of this beverage made it go down so smooth.

This beer was awesome, I could've drank 20 of them if I didn't start to get drunk off just three of them. THe alcohol is well masked. Great beer. Everyone should try one or two or three of them.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle dated 2005.

DEEP amber with lots of bubbles and a 2" off-white head that leaves a coating of fine bubbles down the glass.

Smells strongly of piney citrusy hops and lots of 'em. Really gets the saliva going in my mouth. No alcohol detected.

As expected, lots of hops upfront, then a taste of malt, then its back to the hops. This one was designed for hop heads. Long dry finish with some warming, but that's all the alcohol that registers.

The mouthfeel is thick and almost oily, but that's a good thing. A person who craves hops and loves a full profile in the body will have no problem drinking a few more until the abv gets on top of them.

I have enjoyed this barleywine for 11 years and always look forward to late winter when it becomes available. This year it took a while for the Sierra Nevada truck to make it to SE Michigan, and I was growing apprehensive. This afternoon I stopped at Bello Vino in Ann Arbor and found cases stacked as high as I am tall. I just about fell over and prceeded to drain my wallet. It would be nice to cellar some of this, and I have tried, but once its out of season that becomes very difficult.

2004 12oz sampled on 3/13/05

Same deep amber color with a smaller head, a bit less lacing but still a damn fine looking brew.

There's not as much hop in the nose as its now paired with a creamy malt. Still pretty strong overall, but more mellow and balanced than the younger bottles that are available now.

Upon tasting, the hops don't come on near as strong, neither does the malt. Its amazing what a year can do. So much smoother and balanced. No where near as dry in the finish.

I was lucky to find an '04 sixer that was kept in a cooler at a store I frequent. I've always wanted to let this stuff chill for a year to see how far it can mellow. The results so far have been impressive. Now if I can just hold on to the other five long enough to see what this brew can do over a couple more years...

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Deep amber colours flourish from the pour. Modest numbers of carbonation bubbles dance to the surface without overcrowding the view. Bubbles noted up to the bitter end. Nice one finger head of a creamy white to pale tan colour. Holds briefly to be enjoyed before dissipating into a very nice contiguous lacing. Looks appealing indeed.

The smell is likewise very pleasing. Definite floral hop bouquet. Large malt presence. Citrusy hop notes pin ball through the olfactory foramina. Smiles abound. Maybe a hint of cherry sweetness there. I cannot detect alcohol.

The mouthfeel has a nice and oily slickness like these heavy percentage concoctions normally seem to possess. Somewhat syrupy. The taste throws off bitters from the jump. The oily finish layers the bitters over with just a touch of sweet. Pine like aftertaste dries out the final throws of flavor. Very nice. There is an almost apple skin like after-aftertaste remnant. Alcohol is only evident in the warm finish for about the first two thirds of a bottle. The bottom seems to taste a bit more strong on the alcohol. Not a problem for me. This baby is still smoove. A toasty ending to a delicious creation.

This is a very solid brew. I might have to agree with those that say this is more like a double IPA. It is a Sierra Nevada interpretation of barley wine at any rate. Damn good

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

2005 edition. 12 oz. with no need for a freshness date. Served slightly chilled in a snifter. Pours a dark dark red with a hint of brown and a light tan, 1 finger head. The beer is not quite cloudy but some sediment is floating around. The only scents are alcohol and hops, granted, the hops are significant (grassy, grapefruit, pine, a bit of tropical fruit, and I can almost smell the bitterness). Taste delivers more alcohol and an assload of hops. The predominant flavors are hop oils, pine, and grapefruit, but they are so strong I can only detect the malts in the mouthfeel. It is very thick and coats the mouth well with a bitterness that lingers forever. However, this bitterness is very intense (...coming from a hophead) and even though the IBUs (90) aren't as high as other beers I've had, the lack of enough malts to balance them make it seem like the most bitter beer I've had. I like my hoppy brews, but I was expecting more malts - this seems more like a dark double IPA than a barleywine. There's no way I could drink more than 2 in a night. Perhaps a few months in the cellar will help.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

2005 edition.

Pours out burnt ruby red with a white head which reduces to a ring in fairly short order. Smell is more like an IPA than a barley wine though, definitely some alcohol tinge, but a large floral presence is dominant.

Flavour starts out with a very aggressive wave of hops and an alcohol swath along with a strong pine aspect (again, hops) and some subdued malts, which mostly get lost in the manic hop-a-thon. The finish is a notable alcohol tinge and warming and a lingering after taste. Honestly, a weak barley wine. I imagine it would be better after being laid down because the hops would have a chance to soften, but the beer still seems to be lacking dimension, so even with balance I don't know how much of an improvement it would be. Reminds me of Rogue's Old Crusty, another extremely over-hopped barley wine.

Mouthfeel is solid at least, some definite clinginess, while drinkability is a shade above average.

Probably another beer that is well suited for hop heads, but best avoided by those of us seeking balance...seemingly a big problem with California brewers in general and Sierra Nevada in particular.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer pours an amber brown with a decent head, quite a feat for a barleywine-no doubt due to hop oils. Aroma is intense floral hops, some malt sweetness is detectable under there as well. Taste is malty sweet with overpowering piney citrusy and floral hops. Has a warming alcohol sensation. Nice thick bodied mouthfeel. Drinkability is good for the style but definatley a sipper.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured 2005 vintage and watched as its viscus liquid fortold an awesome mouthfeel. A one finger head with 9.6%ABV - very respectable over a beautiful color. The 80+IBU level fills the room. Lasting CO2 begins to fade after an hour - smooths out as it warms on this Feb 65° day. Plan on laying down a dozen of these in the cellar.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.