Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style AleSierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 02-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev -42.7%

2011 vintage

A- Poured a deep copper color with a thick 2 finger off-white head that had a prolonged stay.

S- Massive hop aroma, somewhat piney. Nothing else going on here.

T- This badboy is bitter as fuck. All I can taste is hoppy bitterness with a bitter beer face. Taste more like an IPA  with 300 IBU than a Barley Wine to me.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- This was hyped up big time by a friend of mine. I should smack him silly. This was a rather unpleasant experience that I wish to NOT ever experience again.

Devi0us, Jun 25, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -42.2%

2009 vintage poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an Ommegang chalice.

A--Pours up an auburn-like reddish brown with a thin fingernail of creme colored head that dies quickly to skim. Nice spidwereb, though, on the surface that does lace a bit.

S--Umm, like an IPA? Orange, grapefruit, and pine. Maybe some candied cherries wafting up from the malt but the sweeter notes that should be rising and making for a fruit cocktail in my nostrils just aren't there. This may just be too young.

T--Umm, again--like an IPA with too much malt in it? Sorry to be repetitive,, but this is kinda boring. It's just hops, hops, hops, tons of bitter resinous pine and citrus in the beginning, middle, and end of the flavor profile. Some malt does sneak into the middle in the form of cognac-soaked raisins, which is nice, but why should the malt have to go creepin? This is a barleywine, fer Chrissakes. Just an overload of hops IMO, without anything earthy, medicinal, or a variety of dark fruits to open up on the palate. Instead you gotta dig for complexity, and not much turns up, at least fresh.

M&D--Sierra Nevada never disappoints me on the mouthfeel, and this one is no exception, as it's pure creamy heaven. The drinkability in my eyes is terrible, however, as this to me tastes like liquid heartburn.

Hopheads rejoice! Anyone who thinks MORE MORE MORE doesn't equal better better better, well....you might want to lay off this one. Or lay it down for a year or two. Lemme know how it goes, as I won't be buying any more of this.

TheycallmeTim, Feb 23, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

Bigfoot 2005 Expedition. This got aged in mixed conditions, but I wanted to let it sit, since the consensus was that it would mellow out after a year. My 2nd American Barleywine, I didn't like Old Horizontal much but I figured I'd take another shot.

Opened the bottle and thought I'd spilled paint thinner. Eesh! A clear, dark red / mahogany brown that looks like it means business. Lousy head retention.

Smells like hops. What an understatement. oooof hop oils and alcohol are the nose. Oily and resinous, bitter scent, no florals or citrus, more on the pine side. Maybe a hint of sweetness from malts but who knows, the hops have all the power here.

Tastes of dark, burnt, molasses hops. Lots of burned sugar/caramel. Very oily. The hops mask the alcohol well, at least. Fairly sweet and malty backbone, making this hop bomb different than a DIPA. Hops are all the way on the bittering side. Hints of raisins and liquor. 5 lbs of hops and a long island iced tea in a pint glass, almost.

Mouthfeel is thick, resiny, syrupy. Low carbonation. Aftertaste of hops is biting and leaves a slick on the tongue.

Tough to get through one of these. There is a major lack of balance and the alcohol is needlessly high. It's fine that Sierra Nevada was going for that, and I like pushing the envelope, but it isn't fun to drink and it doesn't taste that good.

This one is just for the hopheads ... I drank it at 55 degrees or so, if you aren't a hophead maybe chill it a little more to subdue the flavor -- some really nasty metallic off flavors came out as I drank it. My score would have been much lower had I not been rating within the style.

semihobo, May 24, 2006

ajs4bd, Aug 20, 2012

kevrice88, Aug 20, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -39%

This was an '04
It pours a dark red-brown with a tan head, almost like a brown ale.

The smell's just too darn hoppy for me.

The taste was similar to the smell. Hops with sweet and a lot of bitter. Reminded me of some soap I've tasted.

Ok, there's a substantial feel to it, more full than most beers.

I could only drink about half of one.Maybe barleywines aren't for me. I'll hide away the rest of the six for a year and see what that does for it.

psyco1, Apr 19, 2004
2.53/5  rDev -39%

12oz single obtained for $2.75 at The Beer Store in Nashua, NH. 2013 vintage so this is pretty fresh, feels like I'm robbing the cradle. Code 3004217:53. Served cold in a tulip.

A: Hard pour gives 3/4" of dense orange-tan head, looks like a memory foam mattress. Bright clear cherry red brew.

S: Bright candy sweetness. Just a little mixed hop aroma. Not a whole lot going on in the nose while cold. Maybe it'll wake up as it warms. *later* The only new thing I'm getting now is hot solventy alcohol. Or maybe that's just me smelling my own breath.

T: Gigantic peppery alcohol easily overwhelms everything else, very disappointing. This REALLY needs some age to smooth it out. Hard to get much more than that out of it, it's completely dominated by EtOH solventy heat from start to finish.

M: Moderate viscosity but finishes very dry from the alcohol. Soft carbonation.

O: I hate to rate it this poorly, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em and therefore I have no choice. I've had other vintages and it's been a good brew, but this one is just not enjoyable. Don't drink it young.

BeerNinja007, Mar 04, 2013
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.