Follow our progress ...

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Reviews: 2,941 | Ratings: 10,920
3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Golden/amber in color and a slim head that fades to a small pool of fine bubbles and a thin laced ring. Honey and toffee sweetness and some floral notes in the nose. Hops offers some grassy, yeasty characters followed by peppery dryness. Malt characters are simple notes of honey, toffee, a touch of oak, and really just enough to balance the brew nicely allowing the hops to take the main stage. Thin to medium body and a smooth mouthfeel with a touch of fizz at the end. Moderately carbonated. Woody, bisquity, and slight malt sweetness in the finish.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours an apricot honey color with a thin white head that left a nice frosting of lace. Smells of muddy oats, wheat, green grass and pine along with some musky lager-like tones. The malt base of this tastes like doughy wheat crackers of some sort, or perhaps rye crisps with a bit of straw. The hops bring out a definite grapefruit dryness but also lets in a little green grape and blueberries. The finish awkwardly transitions to a sterile dryness that almost mandates another sip. The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with lots of light carbonation that I found to be a bit distracting. This is a nice mellow blend of flavors that is a bit to dry in the end for my liking.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Picked up a six pack late night after work at the grocery store with very little craft available.

Pour into a pint glass. Very light head noticed that recedes relatively quick. Smells of citrus come in first, lemon and orange, followed by tangerine. Gulp. Easy on the hop, well balanced with the malt is the highlight. The citrus taste can be noticed a tad and that makes the hop pounce a touch. Very easy on the palate.

Drinkability, why not. This is my beer of choice when the taps have no other macros available, or micros for that matter. It's also the goto beer when all other stores are out of the loop. By all means, an overall a good beer.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz bottle served in a SA "perfect pint" glass.

pours a slightly cloudy amber/bronze tone with a little short of two fingers' light beige head; very impressive retention, some lacing.

nose is a bit underwhelming with light citrus hops and a bit of pine evident. strong hoppy profile frames the taste; balanced to an extent by a caramel malty presence but clearly hops is the dominant character in this one. some hoppy bitterness to the finish. nothing crazy delicious here, but moderately tasty and refreshing.

medium-body/medium carbed mouthfeel... high drinkability score, easily a "session" type of brew and an approachable APA for newbies.

original review on: 10-19-2010

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.
40°F

$9.99 / ea.

A: Bright straw body with an enormous rocky head of great retention. Wonderful lacing and a thick rocky head. Not quite perfect, but considering circulation it is a fantastic ambassador.

S: Grapefruit. The definition of citrus hops since well before I knew of craft beer. Personally, this is what all IPA's are compared against.

T: Right down to the aftertaste this is 100% grapefruit citrus. Biscuit malt backbone but takes a backseat to the hop goodness. Mild aftertaste, but pleasant and unobtrusive.

M: Medium body and low carbonation. Smooth, bordering on oily. Decent, but not great.

D: Easy sessioning selection. Goes down easy, doesn't overpower the palate, and goes great with food. Can't ask for much more.

O: It all started here for me, and it will always have a soft spot in my heart. Not perfect, but so inviting to a wide range of palates. There is a reason they are so highly regarded.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

the now widely available classic and one of my first pale ales. this helped start me on my road to better beers. i managed to talk the manager of my local dive bar into getting this on tap so now i have something to drink when i'm at that shithole playing golden tee. pours a light amber with a small creamy head. light caramel malts and citric, floral hops in the nose. all of which are subtle aromas to me now, but they were huge some time ago. light caramel malt sweetness at the start well balanced out by a decent hop bitterness. slightly sour and crisp finish. light/medium in body and very sesionable. i'm glad this is now widely available but selling to the evil empire of retailers (walmart) scares me for some reason.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours nice medium amber color. I am editing my review about the head and lace. When poured properly there is a very nice 1/4 head that leaves a nice lace down through the glass. Aroma is fairly hoppy and pleasant. Taste is very smooth, but with a definite hop presence. Carbonation is noticeable but light. I have read mostly good reviews about this brew, never a bad one. This is a good standby favorite, one that will be one of my all around favorites.

Taste is moderately spicy, but smooth. I think that pale ales are my preference in beer.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

A light brown color with a golden hue that has an off-white colored head that dissipates quickly. Aromas of grapefruit, pine, and hops seem to come out. The taste is typical for this style with a mildly astringent mouthfeel due to the hop bitterness. Nothing about this beer is overpowering which makes for a very good session beer or a relaxing beer. Good example of the style; perhaps a bit too sweet in the finish. A solid beer that is readily available in many areas.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Picked this up in SN's Snowpack 2014- never had SN Pale Ale before this, even though i see it everywhere. I've heard and read good things about it, so I'm gonna drink up.

Appearance:deep copper leaning towards a more brown hue. faintly off-white head, about 1/2 finger, which remains throughout. collars and sheets of thin lace throughout. 4

Aroma: floral, clean hops dominate the nose. vague malt background, although im bad at detecting malt in hops-dominated beers. Seems a little one note, but it could just be me. 3.3

Taste: Starts with an initial hops bite, finishes with brown bread crust. aftertaste is malty with a slight bitterness that grows between sips. 3.78

Mouthfeel: medium with moderate carbonation. nothing overpowering or distracting, or particularly interesting. 3.6

Overall: A well balanced pale ale. No overpowering hops and a pleasant, subdued malty finish. Very drinkable but still a quality beer. Cheers!
3.68/5

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

This is one of the few beers I drink that has a screw-on cap. It took me a while ot notice that. Go figure.

Sierra Nevada makes some of the best mass market beers you can buy, so my expectations were high. I was not disappointed. It poured a hazy golden orange, very appetizing color. The head was moderately thick, good for this style, and settled into a thin white cap and laced the glass pretty well. I lack the vocabulary to properly describe the aroma, but the hops became evident even before the first taste. It had a very grainy taste, heavy on the hop oil, which lingered on into the aftertaste. The hops are very prominent, a plus for me. It is still balanced, and washes down smoothly without leaving excess bitterness on the palate. Good mouthfeel, perfect for this kind of beer. About halfway through the frist glass, it becomes very drinkable. Definite candidate for a session beer, especially if you like the style (which I do).

Definitely recommended as an introduction to the American Pale Ales. Another widely available brew to fall back on as well.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Served to me in a pint glass a slightly cloudy golden-red with a white head.

Smell of citrus hops dominates.

Taste is of citrusy hops, but without much bitterness. There is also a slight biscuity flavor.

Light body with nice effervesence.

Very easy drinking. It would be easy to down a few of these without any problem.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

The classic Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I remember sitting at the Keystone Pub when I ordered my first one back in 2007. It was probably one of my first pale ales. I can't recall having one prior to it. Anyway, it pours out as a lightly hazed yellowish gold color. The head is strong and leaves a good lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer has a really nice hop aroms on it mixed with some malts on the nose. The taste of the beer has a good bitterness to it with a dry hoppy aftertaste. When it comes to the mouthfeel it's a highly drinkable beer. It's got a good body to it and it's not overly heavy. Overall this beer is worth checking out if you haven't already, It's a pioneer pale ale, it really holds it's own again many competitors.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Looks decent enough in the glass a dark amber with a white head.

The smell is floral hops and grass.

Tastes is much the same as the smells. It's hopy with very slighty sweet finish.

The mouthfeel is light and well carbonated.

A decent beer at a decent price.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Upon realizing that out of the many beers I have rated, I have never looked critically upon the famed SNPA. So, picked up a bomber from the store around the corner.

A - Poured a good two fingers of frothy white head, the beer as it is poured looks like it is out of a beer commercial, lots of bubbles floating to the top, hazy straw color and the perfect mix of clear and watery.

S - Crisp slight hops, little else, very easy on the nose.

T - Very slight citrusy hops hit the tongue immediately. Not like the grapefruit type of citrus but more of a lemon/lime zest from the hops. It is followed quickly by malty sweetness, when you swallow another burst of the limey hops hit the tongue.

This is a real easy drinker and with its wide distribution it is a go to for when the options are this and BMC. If this is what defines and APA, I'm ok with it.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz bottle I got out of sixer that is available everywhere, sad that this is my first sixer of SNPA. I just never got around to it and was overly critical SN for quite a while.

A: Poured a golden almost amber color. Had a decent amount of carbonation activity. Poured a fluffy white head that was a bit suprising as it had good retention. Pretty good looking brew.

S: Smell is of pine, citrus hops and touch of sweetness coming from the malt.

T: Taste is also of a touch of pine, a good amount of hops (a bit more than I was expecting), and is rounded off with the sweetness of some good malt.

M: Light to medium in body, good carbonation for the style. The slight creaminess of this brew really allows some sticky hops to hang around. Pretty crisp and refreshing.

D: Really good brew for a majorly produced micro. It really does deliver and really impressed me for the amount of beer they pump out. Sierra Nevada is about 10 bucks a sixer here and I tend to stay away from it because I can get some good brews for about 2 bucks less around here. Sill this is a good beer and my opinions are changing.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1 12 ounce bottle followed a couple of weeks later by a 26 ounce bottle. Poured into
a Spiegelau stemmed tulip glass. Have not had this beer in years (for no particular reason that I can recall) and was very pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. The smell was a bit "off" with respect to the 12 ounce, but there was no such problem with the large bottle. Really nice balance without the over-hopped quality I find with some APAs. No knocks. Could see this becoming an all year long staple for me.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

This beer is available all over the place, so that shows progress as a culture. It has a nice golden/orange color. The nose is a nice balance of hops and malts. Very clean smelling. There is little to no head, but I think the bartender poured it incorrectly. The beer has good carbonation. The hops selection gives the beer a good overall bitterness that combines well with the plentiful malts. This beer is quite consistent throughout and is quite refreshing. Finishes clean and smooth.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Golden, Amber and some nice carbonation leaving a pretty foam lace

S: Not over powering but the cascade hop note is present and smells great

T: Balanced and smooth with enough of a hop character to really be enjoyable

M: Fresh and crisp it really hits the spot when you want to slam a few craft beers and go enjoy the great outdoors

O: This being one of my first reviews I had to do one of my old standbys you really cant go wrong with this beer.

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

Opened 12 oz bottle, poured into nonic glass.

Nice large foamy head of say 2". Dies down at a moderate pace to create a nice thin layer of foam across top of brew. Color is light amber, mostly clear with good bubbles in it.

Smell is very clean with some hops and slight citrus notes. Taste follows through with very clean crisp hoppy taste, although I don't detect citrus on my palate. Beer has a nice mouth feel and is very drinkable. I may have another before calling it an evening.

I'd been worried for sometime that Sierra Nevada was becoming to mainstream, but it appears that even though more mass markets are carrying their beer, they are still able to produce a quality product.

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

A- This one pours a hazy golden color with about 2 fingers worth of head. A bunch of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass.
S- The thing that jumps out at me is the zest of the ale. The smell of grapefruit is pretty predominant. Also a hint of yeast.
T- This is a pretty good example of a pale ale. Grapefruit can be picked out right away. There may also be some other fruit like orange in there and a hint of yeast.
M- Pretty good overall, a nice medium body with a good amount of carbonation and a little bit of bite from the perceived grapefruit.
D- I could have a few of these but I think after that my taste buds would be a little worn out.

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

AP: This is a very good pale ale. Amber in color. Almost no head to speak of. Even with an aggressive pour this was no lacing to speak of.

Smell: Orange pulp and hops

Taste: This beer is one big hop bomb with a hint of orange peel. This is a very complex beer.

Mouth Feel: Very smooth. A bit watery but nothing to complain about.

Drinkability: Nice starter beer.

Notes: I heard a lot of good things about this beer so I went and picked up a 12 pack. Boy am I glad I did.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours orange/amber- nice clarity - with a creamy, lasting head that leaves rings of lacing down the glass.

It has a floral/citrusy aroma.

The taste is of mild citrus - lemon and orange - with a sweet malt balance. The hop bitterness has an edge over the sweetness, but is fairly well-controlled, as per the style. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied.

It's a nice brew, but nothing special. A decent choice when the other choices are mostly macros. This is an easy-drinking APA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'm sorry to all the fans of this brew but I find it overated. I just don't buy it Prefer the smoother british beers. As for American Ales, I'll take Anderson Valley and North Coast. I realize I had underated this brew quite seriously. While I have upped it's numbers I still feel it is a vastly overated beer. I'll jump over this beer to get at Bear Republic, North Coast, and English ale without hesitation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- light rust colored translucent body with bubbles everywhere. Beautiful creamy white head with great retention.

S- light pine hops

T- Pine hops upfront and and remain until the aftertaste. Clean finish with some sweet malt remaining.

M- high carbonation and medium weight body. Goes down pretty easy.

D- This is really drinkable and I'm glad I had it. I will have it again.

3.66/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Turbid tan/yellow.

Smell: Very mild hoppy smell.

Taste: Moderate bitterness, well balanced. Aftertaste fades very quickly.

Mouthfeel: Light and very carbonated.

Overall: Good pale ale, especially if you don't tolerate much bitterness. Not my beer of choice (I prefer stronger), but a solid choice at open bars when my only other options are the standard lagers.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.