Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,865 | Reviews: 2,854
3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my favorite mug. As expected from the style, pour produced small head which left behind little lacing. Dark golden color seemed just a bit hazy but still appealing. Got a nice aroma of piney hops but not overpowering. Smooth enjoyable flavor. I liked this beer even though I prefer a darker beer with a more prounced malt flavor. Mouthfeel is not overly carbonated. A nice balanced beer and a fine example of the style. Very drinkable

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Poured a crystal clear light amber color, with a three-finger light khaki head. The head is a bit foamy/billowy and has good retention. Plenty of visible carbonation. Very good lacing.

Smell: Smells of grain and bready malts. A sharp bitter nose, but with very little hops at all.

Taste: A mild beer with a good balance between the grainy malts and the light hops. No one taste really dominates. A good "standard" of the style, memorable for its simplicity.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and very smooth. Good crisp and clean finish.

Drinkability: A very good pale ale. Very simple without one real defining quality, but a true standard of the type. Very easy to drink and goes with anything. Might be the beer that started my on my craft beer journey.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Light amber hued with fantastic clarity. A fingernail of off white covers the majority of the top. Light Brussels lacing. I smell citrus hops and marzipan. I taste a nice well balanced blend of amber malt and citrus hops. The mouth moderately carbonated and crisp.

24oz bottle

A: Pours a nice golden like color with a beautiful head. Amazing, sticky lacing the whole way down the glass. A+

S: Nice mixture of hops, the more prevalent, and malts taking the undertones. Citrus with some bread notes as well. Typical APA.

T: Smooth and crisp. Nice fresh hop taste all the way through the drink. Not a bitter finish at all, but finishes with a nice bite.

An amazing pale ale. One of it's greatest characters is how smooth and well balanced the ingredients are. It does lack real bite that I'm looking for, even as pales are considered. Great beer and will be buying this one again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Love this beer anytime but particularly on a nice warm Summer day. It won't knock your socks off and it sure is refreshing. I like the can so that we can take it on the boat. This beer and Torpedo are two of my top 10 favorites. You can drink more than 2 of these and still feel in control. Nice smooth taste.

3.79/5  rDev -6%

One of my favorite beers that seems to be available everywhere. When I want a hop-monster, this is the way I tend to go. The bar I got this from may have had some ambient scents that were washing out the flavors, because I know it has a more robust smell than it seemed to that day.

A - Pours a warm amber with the head poured off. As I drink it, the head leaves nice round lacing rings.

S - Not as much as I expected (as above) but I smelled no real discernible malt, but there's definitely some grapefruity hopy scent. Maybe a little piney-ness.

T - Oh yeah, that's the great pacific northwest hop beer we all know and love. Grapefruity hops from start to finish. Not a lot of variety to that flavor, and the malts are definitely overwhelmed. There might be a bit of a bready malt there, but hops dominates.

M - The heavy grapefruit hops emphasize the carbonation which helps the refreshing nature of the beer. Not quite watery, but definitely not creamy, a solid body.

D- I find it very drinkable, but if you're not a fan of those NW cascade hops you'll hate it, so I'll have to give it a slightly marginal rating, but as I said, I love it.

3.79/5  rDev -6%

Now, I’ve always been ignorant of American ales, until I discovered this site, mainly because the only American beers I’ve ever seen here are the usual Bud/Miller shite. Suffice to say, this ale was part of a new line in my local, evil supermarket, so I thought, what the heck, I’ll try it.

This ale poured a marmalade orange colour, with a one finger head of weak, brilliant white foam. There was little noticeable carbonation. The head quickly dissipated until there was but a thin film covering the beverage.

The smell, I found intriguing. Parma violets initially came to the fore, with some sherbet and a hint of liquorice. This gave way to oranges and lychees. Quite an aroma I thought.

Despite the smell, which I feared would be a precursor to a sickly sweet drink, I actually found it fairly delicate. It tasted like I was drinking a liquid bouquet, with violets and lavender, with some sour apple thrown in for good measure. The finish was quite dry, and slightly sour.

I felt little carbonation on the tongue, but it does hit the back of the throat on the way down. I feel this adds to the dryness, which isn’t a bad thing at all. It felt thin in the mouth, but not in a negative fashion.

This ale is light and crisp, and I would certainly be able to sink a few in a sitting. It lacks the sickly sweet taste I feared it would have, and is overall a nicely rounded drink. This would go down just chipper on a warm, dry day, which we seldom have here:(. All in all, I was very pleased with this beer as an introduction to American pale ales, and I hope I continue to have good fortune with them in the future.

3.79/5  rDev -6%

I had heard a lot about this beer from other "micro" beer drinker, so when it went on sale for $4.99 a six i thought i,de give it a go.
Pours pretty nicelly, but doesnt hold a head to well, the smell is good. Has a nice after taste to it , thiough the feel in the mouth is pretty average. I was drinking this with a hang over already so maybe i found the drinkabilty less than i would have in top condition LOL

3.79/5  rDev -6%

A - 1 1/2 Finger thick rocky head that leaves a lot of lacing. Yellow slightly amber color.

S - Hops

T & M - Not what I expected from the standard APA. Dry, crisp, clean and bitter. The hops don't seem floral but rather bitter. Very mild flavors. Thick on the tongue.

Different and good. Light and dry version of a pale ale.

3.79/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

24oz bottle with no date

Pours gold-orange with lots of very fine suspended sediment. Small, film-like, bone-white head. Smell is faint; malt, pine, lime, and barnyard. The taste is very one-dimensional in it's bitterness. Some toasted malt and barley in the background, a lemon zest finish, but not much else. Unremarkable but solid flavor. Mouthfeel is great: crisp, smooth, creamy.

One of the best "cheap" craft brew options.

3.79/5  rDev -6%

Slightly copper-tinged brown colour, very thin bead of carbonation occurring at 90° intervals around the glass. Very thin head when poured, none now. Leaves a thin web of lacing. Not bad but not GREAT.

Smells, yup, like Little Creatures. Dominant hoppiness with a generous sherbety pineapple character to it. Might need warming up but anyhow it's a pleasant, fresh kind of nose.

Isn't that interesting. Good complex flowering palate. Fairly strong hit of hops on the front, settles out into a sweet malty but subtle back palate with blended elements of guava and pineapple, with the slightest caramel hit. There are very nice flavours but it's dominated by the hoppy front palate which is the standout flavour.

I'm told that when Americans taste Little Creatures they say it's like Sierra Nevada but not as good. I have to say that cuts both ways. This is a very pleasant drop, but I do think Little Creatures has a bit more character and more complex flavours. If I were born across the Pacific though I'd be perfectly prepared to say the opposite :)

3.79/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A great drinking beer. The appearance is a light orange with a nice white head. The smell is full of hops but does have some more earthy smells in it as well. The taste is great with a burst of hop flavor in the beginning that fades into a toasty malt flavor that finishes the beer well. I can definitely see how this one is a popular beer today.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brilliant caramel copper color with a dense, foamy half inch ivory head that slowly correlates, leaving solid lacing.

Pine, muted citrus, and lightly toasted malt form the initial aroma. There's a bit of fresh cut grass, resin, and light floral notes.

Flavor reveals underpinnings of grapefruit and orange pith, with slightly bready, toasted malt at the backbone, carrying into a somewhat bitter, lightly resiny finish. Tastes a little watery, perhaps oxidized. Could be the tap lines. Skunky and floral hops emerge as it warms.

Body is moderate to a touch watery, with moderate carbonation, a touch of warmth, and slight astringency.

Very sessionable brew. Fairly balanced, but leans slightly toward the bitter/hoppy side.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

This was on of my first microbrews so i decided to revisit it for the purpose of this review. It pours a nice golden orange color with a smooth white head. A standard looking pale ale i might say. Smell is big on hops and citrus as is the taste. Big hoppy notes are present, I wish there was a little more malt flavor in this as the citrus and hops aren't balanced that perfectly to my palate. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both decent. This isn't my favorite pale ale but it'll always do in a pinch.

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to reviewing one of the most accessible and long standing staples of the craft beer world...

A - A medium copper color with a faint but distinct orange hue... Loads of moderate paced carbonation rises throughout... A slight white head quickly fades away leaving no real discernable lacing, just small collar of bubbles around the glass...

S - A mix of citrus fruit and piney hops... Rebalancing with a sturdy and reassuring malt backbone... Loads of breaded malts... Caramel... Toffee... Grain...

T - A pronounced hop bite to start... Piney and outdoorsy in nature... Just enough malt presence to provide excellent balance... Doughy bread... Some caramel and toffee... Some slightly metallic characteristics... Also some floral characteristics...

M - Medium bodied... Sturdy... A good bit of pringly carbonation engulfs the tongue... Very even beginning to end...

D - Goes down very easy... Not being a hop head, this is a brew I could enjoy quite a few of without feeling like my palette has been violated... Always my first choice when in BMC country as it is available almost everywhere, but it's a lot more than just a "fall back" beer...

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Great amber color.. looks like a pale!

Smell its slightly pine and citrus, but not too strong.

Light malt and decent hop notes. Mild citrus and pine. Doesn't taste so grainy like some other sessional pales. No rice or corn there!

Great fishing beer, slightly dry.

A bit more on the bubbly side.. I like a pale that is slightly less carbonated.

A home brew kit I have says SN uses hop pellets to make this one... I don't think it's true.. maybe in the start!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.