Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros

Wsherry1, Oct 03, 2013

biercycle, Apr 08, 2012

JeremyDrinksBeer, Nov 21, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -49.8%

I think this beer is way over hyped.

A- Off white head, pretty good lacing and a amber color

S- Citrus smell to it

T- I did not enjoy the bitter after taste. The taste of it did not warrant the sharp bite.

M- Good carbonation and not too thick.

D- I can drink it but I would rather have something else.

* This is my first review hope its ok.

Wogs, Jan 31, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -49.3%

If you're relatively new to beer, I would highly recommend you steer clear of this brew. You will most likely find it way too bitter to drink, and maybe even so much so that you cannot even take another sip. Before you venture out into the realm that is known as pale ales, try some more balanced/milder beers like Honker's Ale before going for this. The beer was great except for the flavor, it was just sickeningly bitter.

I realize this is widely regarded as an excellent beer, but it is NOT something a beginner should drink. Pale ales are inherently pretty bitter, but this one is extra hoppy/bitter. You'll end up turning yourself off to pale ales and possibly ales in general by making this your first go at an ale.

If you want to get used to beer that employs a good amount of hops, drink Sam Adams Boston Lager. It's well balanced, but it also does have a substantial enough hop character to fit the bill. It's about as bitter of a beer that's enjoyable to me.

In time, you may develop a palate for extra bitter beers like SNPA. However, let me reiterate that this beer should be avoided when you're starting to try out different varieties of beer. Happy Drinking!

Kestrel452, Sep 23, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -49.3%

It may be I'm a beer philistine, but this beer was so bitter that my mouth and ass simultaneously pucked so badly that they met each other someplace in my body. Seriously, I couldn't taste anything but the bitter.

Liked everything about this beer except the flavor. And it goes without saying, I wouldn't, or couldn't attempt this ever again.

bvburnes, Jan 10, 2009

(350 ml bottle)

Clear golden color with a big lasting white to cream colored head.
Hoppy mixed with a sour acid scent.
Taste has the same acid in it, also a bit strange bitterness.
Could it be infected? Though I find that hard to believe. Perhaps it's just supposed to smell and taste this way?
High bitterness, gives it a dry and bitter after taste.
Medium, almost to the low watery side, mouth feel.

gnoff, Aug 21, 2006
2.16/5  rDev -46.5%

Jnila93, Nov 15, 2014
2.16/5  rDev -46.5%

gargamel01, Sep 28, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -45.5%

Megandebari, Oct 08, 2014
2.24/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

This is supposedly THE original APA, and one of America's first craft brews. I was eager to try it after seeing the high reviews on BA.

Appearance - A nice, deep coppery color with a decent cream colored head. Lively carbonation, almost no lacing, which was disappointing. I noticed "floaties" in the beer as I poured, which settled to the bottom of the glass like bits of backwash... very unappetizing.

Smell - practically nonexistent... some citrusy hops and not much else.

Taste - Good grief... why are the ratings so high? It's a 1-note acrid bitterness with virtually no maltiness. The citrus/pine hop flavors are barely present, and a sticky, tart bitterness overwhelms the palette... I know Pale's and IPA's are MEANT to be hoppy and bitter, but there's no balance here. It's just NOT good.

Mouthfeel - Mouthfeel is medium, and frankly unmemorable.

Overall - A bitter, overhyped concoction of hops, hops and more hops. No balance, no complexity. This was my second one and I will not drink another. I'll stick to Two-Hearted.

NOTE: In retrospect I am under the impression that I may have been drinking bottles that were out of date. Will give this beer a proper re-review in the future.

Das_Reh, Nov 17, 2013

Razr86, Sep 11, 2012

HxC90, Mar 19, 2012

Klun, Mar 20, 2013

mcss, Nov 03, 2012

ZinFanDave, May 19, 2012
2.26/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I've seen this bottle coming in many pubs in London so I decided to try it. Looks great, shinny orange, nice bubbles. The taste is very strong, really bitter but fresh, fruity, there is ginger everywhere, smells acid, mouthtaste stays for few seconds. It took me long to finish the glass, not very used to this kind of flavor but was ok.

CraftDanny, Jul 12, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -43.6%

Amber color with a large covering cream. Stinky, doughy and sweaty yeast aroma, which hints of medicine and vitamins, unsuccessfully attempts to disguise itself with a lightly aromatic, herbaceous and floral hop scent. Light caramel in the nose as well, but pretty much just stinky yeast and dulled hops. I still find the yeast character to be obtrusive upon tasting, though not as bad as the aroma. The malt flavor is very light and grainy and to me, doesn’t blend well at all with the mildly aggresive hop flavor and bitterness. The hops which shift from herbaceous, to floral to piney (on the finish) are moderately pleasing, but overall, this is just a poorly balanced beer, plus the yeast stinks or something.

Crosling, Mar 29, 2006
2.3/5  rDev -43.1%

A - Light copper color, crystal clear. Nice fluffy head that lasted a while.

S - Citrus and floral aroma, but there's a subtler note of something unpleasant. I smells, I swear, like sweat. Not sure why. And not just this bottle. Every time I've had this beer, I've smelled this musky sweaty funk just below the hops. No malt aroma whatsoever.

T - Meh. Yeah, there are hops here, but nothing else. Maybe some very light sweetness.

M - Light body, extremely clean.

D - I can drink it, but there are many, many better beers out there. The best thing I can say about this beer is that it's the best thing Wal-Mart carries in the beer aisle.

BlackAngus, Jan 09, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -43.1%

Lots of high ratings for this beer. Makes me wonder if I got a bad batch. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as everyone else seemed to.

Taste was just too hoppy. I get it, people like Pale Ales to be hoppy, but this was so overly hoppy that I had trouble getting past it. This goes for both the smell and the taste.

Appearance was nice. It was a light, nut brown. And the mouthfeel was okay, but a bit too bubbly. Over-carbonation is never a plus. But I wouldn't say the mouthfeel was bad.

As for drinkability, I wouldn't have more than one.

Kooz, Oct 30, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -41.1%

Appearance: Wonderful rich, deep amber. No head whatsoever which is a negative for me.

Smell: Delicate floral notes with undertones of citrus fruit.

Taste: First taste is fruity, a bit like a soft drink. Biterness then takes over and becomes almost too much.

Mouthfeel: Dry, sharp bitter aftertaste like lemon rind. Carbonation feels like very small bubbles, akin to pop.

Drinkability: Too bitter for me, not balanced. Will not try again, might not even finish the whole bottle.

ivanwatling, Dec 26, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -41.1%

I found this beer to be super bitter. I do like beers with a slight bitterness, but this definitely seemed overpowering. It wasn't as crisp as i expected and the aftertaste was bitter in combination with the beer. I traded it for something new and couldn't finish the first one

VietPong, Aug 16, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -41.1%

A: Nice label. Color of beer is dark yellow and looks ok to me.
S: Smells alright, nothing special. A bit tangy.
T: Very bitter. Hoppy as f*ck! Strong bitter aftertaste. This beer is not enjoyable to drink.
M: Sharp, lots of carbonation.
O: Overall I did not enjoy this beer. It is way over hyped. I would not buy this beer on purpose.

acemaverick, Jun 17, 2014
2.4/5  rDev -40.6%

Tastes like an overhopped macro. If your only complaint about Bud is the lack of hops, try this beer. If you like a full bodied beer with a strong malty backbone skip it. Very floral aroma, strong hop flavor, but not much else to it. American Pale Ales like this seem to much like a 1 trick pony. Try to back up that hop with some malt.

Sixpack595, Sep 01, 2003
2.45/5  rDev -39.4%

I saw on Beer advocate that this was an A- so I was pretty excited, after tasting it I really couldn't see why. I also judge beers quite a bit on the balance of alcohol. I want it to be there but not so obvious, this beer did not mask its alcohol very mask it alcohol very well making it less enjoyable for me personally, especially considering it was only 5.6%. I think there is plenty of better stuff out there, but its not a bad beer.

dunit697, Dec 13, 2011
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.