Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,193 | Reviews: 2,945
4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

I drank this out of the bottle, but the taste and feel were top notch. For a pale ale, it was certainly stronger, with a little more bitterness, spiciness, and well hopped with the yeast still there.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The gold standard of pale ales!

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

*Review sample was from 6/5/15*

A-Very sediment rich and unfiltered. Dark golden and copper in color. Has a nice 2 to 3 finger head that died somewhat, but never fully went away. Head itself was a tad rocky. Very carbonated. Looks great!

S- Very citusy and piney in the hops. Has a leathery note and a bit of dank, hop, resin. It's balanced by a nice, malty backbone. Sweet, caramel malts are present. Touch of breadiness as well.

T- Same as the taste. The hoppy notes are really the first thing that hits you in this beer. But for 38 IBUs, I think this beer is pretty hoppy without going overboard at all. It's certainly not an IPA, but it closely resembles one. Again, hops are citrusy and piney with a touch of leather. It's got a slight resinous/hop oily taste. Immediately after the hop profile, you notice this beer also has a very well balanced malty note. The malts are caramel and toffee in nature. Bready/biscuty as well. The beer leans slightly more on the hoppy than malty side, but I think the flavor profile is very well balanced in general. Great stuff!

F- This is a straight up medium bodied beer. It still retains the light oily, hoppy slickness that keeps the beer's profile very enjoyable. The finish is malty and sweet before it dries somewhat. The beer is crisp, clean, and very refreshing.

-Overall, this beer is a home-run. It's no secret why it has been around since the early 80's. It's not an overly complex beer, but it's not so light that it's dull. Hop heads should use this as a true "session IPA" (even if it's at 5.6% ABV). It would go fantastically with some buffalo wings, fish, or virtually anything on the grill. And it's not an expensive beer at all. If you never had this, get up and get it now!

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A great "go to" pale with balanced hops and a good amount of flavor without being overdone. Great to savor but could also be session-able. My first exposure to what good craft beer can be. One of my all-time favorites.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I do not know why it took me so long to try this! I totally am enjoying all their beers! I am a fan for sure now. It was light and smooth yet had some flavor. REFRESHING!

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Old school goodness. High drinkability, nothing fancy but solid pale ale.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%

Slightly sweet and mild hops.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Much better from a bottle than a keg on my palate.
My fishing companion.
Great heavy end all day beer.
I don't really order it on tap though.
It's less bitter and usually less fresh for me due to less hop and about the same body, maybe something else.
I've heard there are different recipes used for the bottles and kegs.
So I'm rating from the one I like better.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

Very good APA, perfect balance of bitter, sweet, hop and malt, taste is dry and fruity.

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass

LOOK: Clear dark reddish brown with about a finger of off white head that leaves sheets of lacing.

SMELL: Grapefruit pulp, pine needles, and sweet bready malt.

TASTE: Grapefruit pulp and pine cone hops balanced against a thick caramel malt backbone. Well-balanced. Equal parts bitter and sweet. Finishes dry and slightly sticky.

FEEL: Medium-bodied, slightly sticky, with moderate carbonation.

OVERALL: For what it is, this has stood the test of time. One of the best beers available almost everywhere nationwide. An old reliable classic, and a great introduction to the world of craft beer.

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

One of the best smelling beers I've ever had. Hop presence is good, and blends well with a very restrained fresh tasting sweetness. I get some pear, and a little peach, in the flavor, but again, any sweet, fruit-like flavors are not at all overpowering, and blend in very well with the overall picture. This beer is a little on the light side body-wise, which to me lends itself more to warm weather drinking. I'm liking this beer more with each passing try.

If you are looking for an IPA that is everything an IPA should be, look no further! Siera Nevada has become my standard to compare to!

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Bought it from Bevmo, Poured from a 12 oz. bottle

A: Bright golden color, clear, and decent lacing

S: Citrus, Floral, and Grapefruit.

T: Piney, Spicy, and Citrus

M:Medium light body, Crispness, and refreshing

O: This is my favorite beers out of sixty five beers. I am glad that I finally found it. Also, I can hang out with my friends by drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale during summer vacation. It is a good pair with salads!!

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle enjoyed at my parents house, great bbq beer.
Golden amber color, moderate citrus hops with a bready caramel maltiness to back it up. Great brew, and I'm a bit surprised I haven't rated this before.

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Possibly the greatest pale ale ever... A crisp clean hoppy finish without too much of bite.

3.87/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a hazy amber with an off-white head. Head dissipates and leaves a fair amount of lacing.

S: Toasted bread, caramel malts, citrus, grapefruit, and piney hops.

T: Sweet malts, caramel, cracker, lemony citrus, orange, and some hops on the end providing just enough bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium bodied and creamy. The hops provide a subtle spiciness that makes it go down very easy.

O: One of the truest examples of a solid APA. It's subtle sweetness melded with the spicy hop bitterness make it a all around solid brew.

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Perfect flavor and taste. Great beer!!!

2.84/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Average pale ale not to bitter not to sweet

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Smells like throw up, tastes like heaven

4.03/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle, PKGD 03/17/15. I've had this dozens of times & I was shocked to see that I had never reviewed it!
A - amber colored ale with a creamy ivory head that slowly fades to a foam
S - caramel malt with pine and grapefruity citrus, faint fruit and yeast
T - well balanced with caramel, bready malt, pine, grapefruit, and yeast
M - creamy but resinous on the piny & spicy hop finish
O - classic American Pale Ale. I drink this often and love it every time!

3.13/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Don't believe the hype people!

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

OK, so I've reviewed - full, written reviews - over 1250 beers and somehow never got around to reviewing the classic SNPA. Can't figure out how that ever happened, but recently I picked up a 12-pack for my father-in-law, so I know this beer is (pretty) fresh, so I'm finally sitting down to review it.

A: Poured into a pint glass - hey, a ubiquitous craft beer deserves a ubiquitous glass, amirite? The body is coppery amber in color with a 1-finger slightly-off-white foamy head on top, which is reinforced by plenty of fine bubbles. It's a nice look, and it leaves behind plenty of lacing.

S: Classic APA, with nice malt foundation of toasted bread, which is then followed up with a mild hoppiness of faint citrus.

T: I've been drinking this beer for at least 20 years now, and of course my initial impression way back when was over how hoppy it was. Now, with hundreds of IPAs under my belt, I'm surprised at how malty this beer is when compared to my recollection and my more-recent exposure to hopped-up American IPAs. It more or less follows the nose, with some sweet malt setting the table along with toasted bread. The hops follow, providing a modest lemony, citrusy flavor that balances the malt to leave a lingering lemony taste on the palate into the aftertaste.

M: Nice and creamy - more so than I remember. Call it medium in heft, carbonation is fine-bubbled and feels nice on the palate.

O: The quintessential American Pale Ale. My wife was drinking one of these the night we met - in 1994 - making it readily apparent that she had (and has) good taste.

2.81/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

There's just so many better pale ales out there.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

welcome to ontario SNPA! 355ml bottle into nonic pint glass. bottled march 25, 2015. consumed on may 14, 2015

a: clear light amber with a finger of off-white head

s: biscuity malt up front followed by piney, floral, and grapefruity hop characteristics. hints of hoppy spices and oranges. extremely pleasant

t: a piney floral presence at first, but quickly leads into big biscuity malt flavours with subdued grapefruit, lemon, and orange notes, as well as touches of spice coming from the hops. moderate bitterness at the end

m: medium-minus body, with moderate carbonation. excellent

o: a modest but delicious, solid, and enjoyable ale

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very tasty pale ale - Would recommend for summertime grilling and BBQ. Extremely enjoyable when super cold. My favorite beer hands down. Love this offering!

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.