Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,197 | Reviews: 2,946

A - Copper in color with a soapy white head. Leaves thin film throughout with mild lacing

S - Pale malts, light hop aroma

T - Sweet pale malts for sure up front and in body balanced with with a clean light hoppy finish. Clean. Some earthiness

M - Crisp, medium light body, smooth

D - Very easy to drink and could drink a lot of it. I enjoy this brew very much. It's always a good stand-by. I like that they put it in a bomber for a cheaper price...more incentive to buy (even tho i'm really paying more for less)

2.51/5  rDev -37.7%

I saw on Beer advocate that this was an A- so I was pretty excited, after tasting it I really couldn't see why. I also judge beers quite a bit on the balance of alcohol. I want it to be there but not so obvious, this beer did not mask its alcohol very mask it alcohol very well making it less enjoyable for me personally, especially considering it was only 5.6%. I think there is plenty of better stuff out there, but its not a bad beer.

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Perfect flavor and taste. Great beer!!!

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

I love 'nevada. Currently one of my house beers, this stuff goes great with just about anything and is one of my house brews...

A- Who cares, its in the bottle. Label is attractive, no freshness date but I like that SN has kept the "micro-brew" look despite being the second-best selling craft beer, behind Sams. From draft it's a darker amber, but thats for another review.

S- Cascade hops and citrusey, that about all I can make out. My sense of smell is kind of shot.

T- Mmmm. I'll admit, when I first tried this stuff I was put off by its citrusey and almost piney taste. Now I'm hooked, although I would say that its definitely best between the time you take it out of the fridge and 20 mins thereafter. Sorry I don't have a thermo.

M/D- Yummy? Mouthfeel is pretty light, and I consider it highly drinkable stuff. Put it this way, I gave it a 4. I rate PBR as a 5 on M and 4.5 on D. Guinness is a 4.0 on M and 5 on D. Take it for what its worth.

Is it beer thirty yet?

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours dark golden, almost amber, into a pint glass. Thick ivory head stays and clings well.

Smell: Sweet malt and fragrant hops, an inviting nose.

Taste: Zesty hops reveal herbal and even fruity notes, very complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium body that finishes dry on the palate.

Drinkability: A solid ale, could have this again.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

a: golden with sticky two-finger head, slight lacing

s: citrus, slightly flowery hops with a hint of sweet malt

t: the citrus balances the sweet malt, just a bit of hop bitterness on the way out

m: light body, medium carbonation

d: a great session beer, some flavor but not enough to deter from downing a sixer in one night

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

This is one of my favorite beers. I have to pick it up every so often. I'm finally getting around to reviewing it.

A- Clover honey color with a 3/4 inch creamy white head that falls to just a creamy glaze on the surface.

S- Very hoppy with grapefruit and honey.

T- Sweet caramel malts up front beautifully transitioning in to a quite bitter brew with lots of hops and grapefruit taking the forefront.

M- Medium-light mouthfeel, that finishes dry.

D- I love this beer and is one of my most popular session beers. 4 in a sitting is perfect.

This was one of my first beers and still one of my favorites. GREAT pale ale.

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got my start on APA's and this one is a classic. Had lots of bottles but dare I say I like it even better on tap.

A- Copper orange/red color. Nice head and less retention than the bottle and lacing is very nice. Pretty.

S- Something else comes out on tap. A little earthier maybe? Great balance of hops and orange as well.

T- Likewise. Hops up front and malt balanced with orange and earthy floral notes.

M- Medium body, smooth and dry. Crisper on tap?

D- Super drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a coppery orange color, slightly hazy. Nice head dissipates fairly quickly, leaves nice lacing.

S: Hint of citrus and piney notes.

T: A piney hops taste is immediate on the tongue followed with a citrus bitterness. Not too brash, but a pleasing taste. Finishes with a light floral spiciness.

M: Lots of carbonation - crisp and refreshing but with enough body for a smooth swallow.

O: A classic. Great session beer. It's fairly well-balanced but with enough hoppy bitterness to make it complex and interesting. A very enjoyable drinking experience.

4.68/5  rDev +16.1%

P - 25 Oz Bottle, day code stamped on front label.

A - Almost crystal clear golden honey color, huge off white frothy head with very sticky lacing.

S - Faint smell of malts & citrus to florals.

T - Theres nothing pale tasting about this ale! Instant rush of malty sweetness followed by a bitter finish.

M - smooth & creamy body with good balanced carbonation.

D - would create some mighty fine beer goggles..

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass straight from the fridge. Nice and cold.

A: Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Dark golden, just slightly hazy. Just a hint of haze gives it the appearance of depth without looking dirty. Medium head which fades down to a slim foam coating on top and lingers and lingers throughout the entire glass, leaving beautiful lace along the sides.

S: Floral, pine, citrus, slightly sweet. Beer, beer, beer. Scent really jumps out and tickles the nose with anticipation and enhances the smell throughout the glass.

T: Follows the smell, but without the big bitter bite you might expect from the aroma. And that's just to my liking. Pine is probably the dominant flavor here, but there's plenty of citrus and floral flavor as well, and some notable malty sweetness especially as the beer warms up. Dances on the tongue. Delicious.

M: Light and drinkable, but enough malt backing not to feel watery at all. I've had a sore throat the past few days and this has done a nice job coating it with its foamy malt goodness. Moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is what a beer should be. I could easily see myself drinking two of these a day for the next month and not getting a bit tired of it. Moderation is difficult with beer this good! Midwest Supplies sells a clone homebrew kit for this and I'm very tempted to buy it and see how that goes.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

A very good Pale Ale. Very drinkable session beer.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

I guess I'm more of a porter and brown ale guy, so this can be taken with a grain of salt.

It looks like a pale ale should, there's some yeast on the bottom of the bottle and the head stays for a bit.

The smell is hoppy, somewhat floral and citrusy.

Taste, that's where I just don't get along with this one all that well. I'd rather have a bit more malt presence, it's just too hoppy and bitter for me.

Drinkability, if I had to choose between this and a macro, I'd take this. But, if there was a SN Porter to be had, I'd be all over it.

edit on 10-3-04

I've raised my review score, since I've either started loving the hop, my tastes have changed or the fact that this is one of the few decent beers you can get around here on a night out and I've become more accoustomed to it.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

so yeah i eally enjoy seeing the little "floaters" hanging out in the bottom of this fine bottle conditioned ale. now i am not all that great about identifying the flavors i taste, so i will be simple here. it has this nice color about it when poured. looks like a penny to me. not a shiny penny but one thats been in your pocket a few times. and it has a nice white head that leaves a decent lacing. smells piney, citrusy and sweet, and it tastes just like it smells. not alot of carbonation that i can see, or taste, but what a fine beer. this beer is the one i would reccomend all people try who want to better there beer taste. simply put not too complex, but not simple at the same time. i love SNPA

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

This is one of those beers that you really have to fight yourself on as far as when to stop. I could easily kill a sixer of this without much thought. Pours a nice light brownish/red color with just a small bit of foam. The smell is very nice indeed, one of the best smelling beers I've ever had I think. It's got a very nice blend of hops and citrus, with the hops maybe taking a slight edge. Taste is also good, a bit citrusy at first and then very hoppy with a pretty smooth feel to it.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Just a great overall beer. For 3 bucks for a 24 OZ it is such a solid session beer to enjoy after a long day. Great flavor, balance, just does what you would think an APA would. Something that I enjoy over and over, and definitely a beer that could introduce craft beer to someone else.

24 oz. bottle purchased 10/05/2010 in Easthampton, MA.

Appearance- N/A: Drank straight from the bottle over lunch (Complete faux pas, I know. My apologies to my brethren.)

Smell- Decent amount of potent hops, slight flowery notes, tinge of biscuity malts.

Taste- Sharply hopped. Hops predominate the flavor, good warmth for the fairly average ABV level. Good malt undertones. This is the brew that put Chico, California on the map. Flagship of Sierra Nevada, and always a good choice for a well-concocted pale ale.

Mouthfeel- Crisp. Hops linger around after the initial swallow. Very nice for the style.

Drinkability- Very good. I wouldn't drink more than a couple pints (24 oz. is perfect), but doesn't that often define a well crafted beverage? Very good pale ale.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

very strong hop flavor. a great ale. i got a six pack of this from my dad for my 21st birthday. up there with samuel adam's as one of the best american brewed beers. i usually like the european imports myself but this beer can give them competition.

3.83/5  rDev -5%

Big ups to the beer that introduced me to "real beer" as opposed to commercial rice beers that I was drinking in college.
"Fatty Sierra Nevada's...$2"... said the guy with a cooler perched on top of his skateboard...cruising the parking lot at a Dead show. I bought one...then another... it became a standard for what my tastebuds truly enjoyed.
Hops... It is crisp and refreshing.

I don't buy this as often as I used to, but always try and have some in the fridge.
Highly recommended for anyone trying to break into IPA's. The world of Cascade goodness...

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Theres nothing like a good pale ale. And i would consider this beer to be the original american pale ale. It has a deep golden amber color with great head retention and a very balanced hoppy kick. Also the malt comes through quite nicely and isnt overrun by the hops. a great session brew.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

This is my "every day-beer" because the price ($10.99 to $12.99 for a 12 bottle box) is more than right for what you're getting. I've also enjoyed this beer on-tap, but will submit a review for a bottled beer at this time.

A: Amber color with nice big white head. Medium lacing.

S: Very aromatic, with lots of hops, some pine and a hint of citrus.

T: Excellent taste, where whole hops and malt are in perfect harmony coupled with a hint of pine flavor. This is a great beer for almost any occasion, and that's why it is my so-called "every day-beer".

M: Medium-body with moderate carbonation. Right kind of slight bitterness due to whole hops.

O: This is an example of a solid American Pale Ale that has everything nicely balanced. One can't go wrong buying this truly excellent beer.

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a gold to amber color. Virtually no head despite noticeable carbonation. Very slight lacing. Floral aroma that isnt overpowering and wasnt that pleasant. Taste is very average for an APA. The hops are there, and leave a pleasant aftertaste, but they dont stand out like in many APAs. Good "structure" to the beer, the mouthfeel is there, but the taste is nothing special. Above average drinkability, I may have another despite being unimpressed. Its been a while since I have had an SNPA and I didnt remember it being anything special - and it wasnt.

Its a slightly above average APA.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

pours with fine wite head and golden amber hue. This is a beautiful everyday drinker. I love pale ales and this is a standard of mine. Spicy malt gives way to a nice cascade hop bite. I highly recommend this for anyone who has not had it. Just grap a clean pint glass and enjoy

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

This is my go to brew. Being from AL where the beer selection is ass, I can usually muster up a six pack of good ole Sierra Nevada Pale Ale almost everywhere. I love everything about this beer. From its amber pour, hoppy aroma and taste, to its crip finish this beer never disappoints. I am reviewing it from a 12oz. bottle serving but I will say that it is even more glorious on draft.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.