Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,883 | Reviews: 2,856

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a pale gold, clear, with one finger sticky head. The rocky foam clings to the glass and laces well for a pale. The tart yeast aroma is clearly evident upon opening the bottle, but disappears soon after. I get sweet, sticky pale malt, toasted biscuit made with honey. Piney fresh hops sit atop, wafting easily to your nose. The initial sweet malt flavor is fleeting as bitter hops and yeast flavors take over quickly. The yeast starts tart and serves as a smooth transition to the bitter piney, earthy hop flavors. This is about as full bodied as a Pale Ale can get, with middling mouthfeel and a medium finish.

I'll make no claim that I am currently an acolyte of Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. I'll tell you a secret, though: I hated it when I first had it in college. I was into nutty, watery beers (read: Newcastle), and this tasted like soap to me. I didn't always get along with hoppy flavors, it seems. Now I can't imagine a better stand by, go to beer in a jam. Thank you, Sierra Nevada, for making such a palatable, robust ale that is available nearly anywhere that a boring tasteless InBev product is served. Cheers!

2.74/5  rDev -32%

I expected more from this Pale Ale, perhaps it was the batch that was the problem. Pours light amber. Smells a lot of hops and alcohol, kinda skunky. Tastes rather bitter with a generous portion of hops, alcohol, and skunk that stays with your tongue until your next sip. I was not impressed at all.

4.23/5  rDev +5%

A- Semi-translucent orange with great carbonation and a creamy head. Laces well too. While I couldn't find any other people mentioning this, it almost looks unfiltered. Perhaps I had some yeast buildup from storing it sideways.

S- Slightly hoppy (considerably hoppy for a pale ale), with notes of grain and caramel.

T- Citrus and pine upfront. This brew balances hops and malt tremendously. After getting into craft beer I find this to have the level of flavor I want, but not much more. It doesn't disappoint, but doesn't impress too much at the same time.

M- Pretty creamy, but fairly thin. Carbonation was just right though.

D- Easy to drink, and good all around beer. Has everything I expect for a beer, but not much more. Still, for the price and availability, this beer is more or less the craft beer drinker's lifeboat.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

I must say this is one of my favorite beers. Has a very hazy orange color to it. You can see the particals of yeast from the bottle conditioning. The head is fairly large and settles to a sticky lace around the glass. Smells hoppy with a little grain. Bitter spice, citrus,malts, and pine dominate the flavor. A very drinkable pale ale! I think it is the perfect session beer! In my opinion, Sierra Nevada Pale ale is truely a classic American beer!

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.