Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,843 | Hads: 10,345
4.64/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Dark orange, a little cloudy looking. A nice head about two fingers, settled quickly but left a nice lace.

S: Can smell the hops, which I love about any IPA. It has a nice citrus scent. A good smelling beer.

T: Outstanding taste. A good hop without being overpowering. A nice citrus finish.

F: Thick foamy feel. Even throughout the mouth. A nice bite on the front of the tongue that doesn't die down towards the back.

O: Would definitely drink again. This may be my new go to IPA. (492 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On tap at a local spot. I usually really like pale ales but this one just didn't seem to hit the mark with me. Had great smell, but the taste seemed to fall short. Maybe it's just an old keg? Maybe It was too cold I'm not sure. I just wasn't a huge fan of this one. (265 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not much to say about this that hasn't been said, this is a timeless classic. Super well rounded, clean finish, and the Sierra Nevada hoppy twist that is to be expected from them. Always has a place in my fridge. (212 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A solid brew I've been going to for a long time. Light, clear golden amber. Substantial lace. Aromas of malt and biscuit and a wee hint of citrus. Citrusy hops are the first flavor out of the gate, followed by a medium-bodied biscuity, malty foundation mixed with well-placed hoppy bitterness, which gets handed the reins holds them for a remarkably long time after the swallow. (378 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

L: Cloudy copper with a nice soapy, white head.

S: Bit of malt followed by a nice piney, floral hop at the end. Really nice!

T: Mild and well-rounded; full of biscuity malts and light, floral hops with a tiny bit of piney resit at the end. Not much bitterness. Small amount of tangerine peel up front.

F: Light, bubbly and crisp.

O: I totally understand the hype. It's a solid, refreshing brew. There are some that turn their noses up, but I think it's grand. Very drinkable, which is a good thing sometimes! (513 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

Review taken from my notes.
August 7, 2014
Serving Type: 16 oz Draught

A- Pours a deep Golden hue but with a slight tinge of Amber that makes for a beautiful looking ale. Topped with 1 1/2 fingers of head

S- Fruity, Floral, Slight spiciness. Some citrus notes. Wonderful smelling Ale.

T- Taste is similar to the aroma in its floral and fruity characters. Slight bitterness that imparts great flavour near the finish.

M- Medium Carbonation and Medium body. Top notch drinkability.

O- One of the best Pale Ales that I've had. Extremely tasty and fragrant. I am fortunate to have had this one on tap. Unfortunately, Sierra Nevada doesn't distribute to New Brunswick :'(. I recommend this to anyone who can access it! (720 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a deep golden with a touch of amber. Comes up to a one finger head dissipating down to about a 1/3 finger head. Lacing is whispy but definitely remains present on the walls of the glass for the entire experience.
S - A little hop/citrus presence, a very earthy quality, like grass, pine and rain water, very refreshing to smell.
T - So good. Had just an ever so slight hoppy and bitter taste profile, but goes down extremely easy. VERY sessionable pale ale.
O - Makes my top 10 pale ales list, I highly recommend it, would go great as a pace changer during an IPA session as well.
V - Good value. (610 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Golden pour with white clingy head. Smells of fruit and slight pine. Crisp and slight bite initiallly with a smooth, semi-sweet (amazing) middle, and clean finish. Drinkable in quantity! (186 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle, hazy pale amber with medium head. Aroma with notes of caramel, hay, citrus and some pine. Taste is mildly bitter, well balanced with a medium malt body and some bitterness in the rather long after taste. (223 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Light amber hued with fantastic clarity. A fingernail of off white covers the majority of the top. Light Brussels lacing. I smell citrus hops and marzipan. I taste a nice well balanced blend of amber malt and citrus hops. The mouth moderately carbonated and crisp.
(271 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +20.9%

This is the hop heads equivalent of bud light. An everyday beer bursting with flavor and quality. Extremely accessible. My go to beer. Wonderful for all occasions. (163 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18%

The Wonderful Taste of Pale Ale in a Bottle

I'm new here. I don't know what I'm doing. All I know is what I like. I had been going to a local micro-brewery for about a year, and their beers had a very distinct taste, a wonderful taste, that I had never experienced anywhere else. I tried a variety of beers from that place, some were better than others, but I began to notice that beers described as IPA or pale ale had that wonderful awesome taste.

I had seen this in the supermarket for a while, but I was never particularly interested. I didn't know anyone who drank it. I had my favorites with which I was very content. But when I noticed that pale ales had that taste and smell that I had grown to love, I decided to try it.

The first thing you notice is the color as you're pouring it into your glass. It's a rich, beautiful golden brown with a tint of orange. Then the smell. It had that unmistakable pale ale smell, and I apologize that I'm not sophisticated enough to describe it better. I don't know hops from barley from wheat. But the taste. That's the taste. That's the taste I've been longing for. Men have died trying to get that taste. I'd be lying to you if I told you it was a good as the tap from the local micro-brewery, but it has that great pale ale taste, and it's in a bottle.

After I tasted this, I went back and got a case of this. (1,377 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -3%

From a bomber into a Tallgrass tulip
A: peachy dark gold, 2 finger foamy head, great lacing
S: light caramel malts, earthy, floral hops, with a hint of lemon/citrus
T & M: like the nose, though the malts get a little more biscuity, and the finish is kind of grassy and floral and dry. Smooth and creamy mouthful, moderately bitter and spicy.

Overall: Hard to be impartial here...I've been drinking this as a standby for over 20 years, along with Summit EPA and Great Northern Porter. Though pales and IPAs have come a long long way, this is still so enjoyable. (567 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

The only reason I don't rank this higher is because sometimes, I'll get a particularly bitter one. But I've had enough outstanding ones to know that this is a really good beer. (176 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is possibly one of my favorite craft beers. It has a great amber color for the pale ale style of brewing, an inviting floral citrus aroma, and an upfront hoppiness that fades at just the right time to a malty backbone, leaving a great balanced aftertaste in the mouth, with a moderately creamy mouth feel, all in all a great beer, one that I would buy again anytime, not to mention that this beer is a classic in the craft beer industry and certainly brought more awareness to craft brewing in the nineties. (513 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - Clear and amber gold, with about a finger's worth of head that had all but disappeared by the time I turned around from throwing away the cap. Leaves a thin, swirling foam, almost like soap bubbles. Laces decently as I drink it.

S - A light, pleasing smell of floral and piney hops, with just a hint of biscuity malt. Nothing really stands out in the aroma.

T - Starts with some spicy, piney hops, which then gives way to the floral that is in the smell. Finishes with the biscuit malt, and a clean bitterness. At 5.6%, it certainly isn't a "big" beer, but there is no taste of alcohol at all.

M - Very mild carbonation leads to the impression that this beer is watery, but combined with a dry, clean finish, it is very refreshing.

O - If I had to describe this beer in one word, it would be "inoffensive." Which makes it, I suppose, a good example of a Pale Ale, not as hop forward as an IPA, which is the point. I always say "This is my least favorite Sierra Nevada beer," but despite that, this is not a bad beer. It would make an excellent "Gateway to Craft Beer" beer. (1,128 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours a clear amber with a one-finger creamy white head. The head disapates leaving some light soapy lacing.

S - Aroma of sweet malts and hops.

T - Flavor starts with some sweets malts. The sweetness fades into some nice citrus and earthy hop bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Crisp mouthfeel with a smooth finish.

O - An American classic and the gold standard pale ale. Just as good as ever. (421 characters)

If you are a big fan of american style pale ales then this is going to hit the spot for you. I gave this a 4 just because it is a great example of the style of beer but my personal tastes have changed and I no longer crave pale ales. (233 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

You won't go wrong but its not that special. beats lots of craft beers but you don't feel like you found a gem. Easy go to beer cause you see it everywhere. (156 characters)

Excellent hop aroma of citrus, caramel, color of light amber, hazy, white foamy head; taste is medium bitterness, with nice full body, creamy, soft carbonation, bitter dry finish. Excellent brew that I keep a regular supply on hand. (232 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Nice amber color, half assed head and a nice hoppy smell.

This is a good, drinkable beer any season and seems to show up at a lot of places as the "fancy" beer so you can avoid drinking crap, water beer.

Definitely a keeper. (230 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Purchased at The Token Lounge in Levoina MI. Served at 6deg C in a water glass

A- Opens well and pours a high head. Dark gold.

S- Pretty good hop base. Nice malt

T- Good blend but a bit turned down. Nice balance between hops and malt. Obvious winner

M- Pretty much the expected dry tongue

O- Nice beer. I always buy when it's on the menu and not much else

Food Pairing

Sorry didn't eat at the bar so no pairing

Enjoy (424 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance - It has a great golden color and a very thin foamy head. Despite the thin head the beer laces the glass well. There is some minor carbonation.

Smell - The beer has a nice hop smell and smells sweet at the same time.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and medium bodies. Nothing to really note other than it is refreshing

Taste - Nice flavor of fresh hops with a nice fruit after taste. As some one who is not always a fan of bitter beers I felt this had great flavor and was well balanced. (493 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, bottled on 9/10/2014. Pours slightly hazy/cloudy golden orange color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of lemon zest, orange peel, grapefruit, caramel, bread, light honey, floral, grass, pine, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of juicy citrus/floral hops and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of lemon zest, orange peel, grapefruit, caramel, bread, light honey, floral, grass, pine, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fair amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon zest, orange peel, grapefruit, caramel, bread, light honey, pine, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance, robustness, and complexity of juicy citrus/floral hops and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately crisp, and fairly creamy/sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent pale ale. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of juicy citrus/floral hops and moderate dark/bready malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering. (1,519 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

LOOK: Perfect Golden Amber Ale with a 3/4 inch Foamy White Head that only Decreases Slightly as you drink, Excellent Lacing of the Entire Glass that remains Through-Out.

SMELL: Nice Blend of High Grade Hops, Pine, Bready Malts, and Citrus Aromas

TASTE: Smooth Refreshing Taste, Malty Grains, Spices and a Faint Bitterness with Every Sip.

FEEL: Refreshing and Smooth for the Pallet, Great Balance of Carbonation.

OVERALL: Quality Medium Bodied Ale that has an Easy "Drinkability" about it....Makes for an Excellent "SESSION BEER"... I Highly Recommend and Enjoyed this Delicious Pale Ale which is Widely Distributed, Affordable, and Readily Available in the United States. (680 characters)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.