Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,826 | Hads: 10,267
4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

A very good pale ale. It is amber and very clear in it's appearance and it has a very slow natural carbonation and very little head.

It has a pleasant, hoppy/fruity/malty aroma that screams drink me. It's flavor is very much balanced between a hoppy bite and a malty sweetness, if a bit thin for a pale ale. It has a smooth creamy finish that makes this beer extremely drinkable. Not a bad beer at all and it makes for a nice session beer. (442 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1%

12 oz brown bottle.

Creamy off white head with some large bubbles; good retention. Some thin lacing throughout the glass. Clean and clear copper in color.

Moderate floral hop aromas with a bit of lemon.

Floral hops with a touch of a citrus quality: lemon, light pear, and light apple. A light bitterness at mid-sip that leads to a hop filled floral aftertaste. The standard of American Pales in terms of flavor.

Light bodied; crisp, clean, refreshing, and unobtrusive on the palate.

A highly drinkable Pale at 5.6% abv. A safety beer you can find everywhere and drink all night. Never a let down. (612 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Nice amber hue with a good head that stays a bit then fades off to leave a little sticky lace.

Mmmm... smells great, nice and hoppy with a malt background that draws you in, gets even better when it warms up.

Taste is well balanced overall. At first it seems a bit hoppy, then sweetens up, but leaves just as it came with a nice crisp, refreshing finish and no tartness.

Mouth is good, nice carbonation and it goes down smooth, had this on tap as well and it seems a bit thicker.

Drinkability is nice, but I've never gone totally nuts for it, quenches thirst very well and takes the edge off if I need a good hop fix though. Overall a nice beer that is a good fallback for me if I can't find anything else. (718 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Sampled at the Sophisticated Otter in Johnson City, TN, my SNPA came out a clear slightly reddish gold under a very thin white head that lingered well and left very good lace. Subdued flowery hops greet the nose, while the mouth is met by a very pricky medium-bodied sensation. Smooth malt contends with distinctive flowery hoppiness right from the start, with the hops winning out in the end. There's a very nice bite in the finish, followed by a good lingering bitterness. There's a reason why this is a solid stand-by brew. Can't go wrong here. (547 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz. bottle pours an amber hue with a thin off - white head. Big floral, citrusy, pine sap smell. Medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Has a caramel malt sweetness up front flowing smoothly to a flowery, grapefruit hop bitterness to finish.
Very nicely done. Tastes just as good today as it did some twenty plus years ago. (327 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

How can anybody give this anything less than a 5 for drinkability? This is the One -- the beer that hopheads should revere for starting the richly hopped, highly complex pale and india pale ale craze. It is also perhaps a beer microbrew lovers in general should hold in high regard for sparking the renaissance that is currently in progress. I was a macro swill drinker in my early college years, and I remember my friends and I being shocked -- SHOCKED! -- that a beer still had yeast sediment in the bottom. What a revelation! Come to think of it, we said, how is it that all these other beers are brewed with yeast, but have no yeast left in the bottle? And so it began...

This is the simplest and best expression of the beauty that is Cascade hops. It is at once mouth-puckeringly hoppy and smoothly refreshing. This orange, pine, grapefruit, and flower-laden beauty dances over the tongue as gracefully and effortlessly as a butterfly flutters about a field of wildflowers, and is just sweet enough to make you think you can capture her -- but alas, she remains elusive.

Think about it -- you hopheads are spoiled and your tastebuds are burned out. SNPA is the king of pale ales. If you want to convert a macro drinker, start here. (1,242 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Pours a nice amber/oragne color with a nice light colored 2 inch head that leaves some good lacing.

Scent is very floral and hoppy, even a little fruity, nice.

Taste is very nice, Crisp and Clean with a mix of some fruity maltiness followed by a very nice classic hoppiness, Goes down smooth and has a nice creamy mouthfeel and has excellent drinkability. A classic that still taste as good now as the first time I ever had it. Overall a great Pale Ale. (459 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

This is a solid beer. Actually it seems to serve sometimes as a crossover beer; it's widely available, a lot of people know about it, but yet it's very good, unlike a lot of popular brews. Appears a vibrant orangy amber color with a typical head and lacing for a pale ale. Fruity hops abound in the nose. Taste is of course hoppy, which is good. A bit citrusy and tangy, but what makes this beer great is that there's an excellent balance of sweet malts in there as well. Feels smooth and creamy, a super-easy beer to drink. Bueno. (531 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a warm, peachy orange colour, with an creamy white head. Retention was average, lacing was decent.

As expected, huge floral aromas. Fruity and zesty.

Taste was citrus, tangy and reminiscent of mangos. Very sweet but balanced with a good amount of hop bitterness. Left an astringent feel on the palate in a good way. Very tasty. A classic APA. Finishes dry. Smooth, moderate mouthfeel. Quaffable as hell. (416 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a lovely honey-gold color. Not much lacing (yes, that's probably my fault). Smells of citrus and pine, very nice. Tastes of fruity citrus, with grapefruit dominating, but it's not at all a "hop bomb". There's some honeyish malt as well.

This is a true classic, an all around good brew, and one that got me into craft beer (although I didn't think much about it then). You can't go wrong with this one.

Edit: I'm downgrading this one to all 4s, not because it's not a good beer, but because there's a specific taste in there that I don't quite like. Perhaps it's metallic, but it detracts a bit from the overall drinkability. (637 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

OK, I have to admit I have a soft spot for this beer. I grew up about an hour from this brewery and I've been drinking this stuff forever. And I still like it.

The color is a nice amber, with a medium, off-white head that stays for awhile and leaves good lacing down the glass. Light hop smell, bitter, yet offset well by the malts, a smooth citrusy taste that's well balanced and refreshing. Yeah, it doesn't pack a lot of punch, but it's not supposed to. You could certainly argue that "it's not as good as it used to be" but it's still a really good, really drinkable beer, especially since you can find one just about anywhere these days - considering that the 'default tap' at many bars is Budweiser or Coors, thank God. (728 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -29.6%

Brewed with Two-row Pale & Caramel malts. Hopped with Magnum and Perle for bittering and Cascade for finishing. OG=13.0p, FG= 2.8p, 5.6% ABV, 37 IBU.

Pours out to a clear light caramel, forming a creamy off-white head with veyr good retention and sticky sheets of clumpy lacing. Bubbles rise slowly through the beer with mild-moderate carbonation. Aroma is very bready and yeasty nearly overpowering the citric hops, with lots of bready alcohols and sharp cheesiness. Much different than I remember. Hops are slightly oxidized. Mouthfeel is middle of the road with a crisp finish and medium body. Taste begins with crisp carbonation, followed by rather non-descript hops, potent yeast, bready alcohols, malts which are barely perceptable in contrast to the hops and yeast. Mild to moderate bitterness. Crisp finish.

Much different than I remember, and different than what I had on-tap at Sierra Nevada Brewery. This is the 3rd bottle that has tasted this way. I'll chalk it up to a more refined palate, but this just doesn't do much for me anymore. Considered a "classic" American Pale Ale in many circles. Way to bready and cheesy. I would pick nearly any pale ale over this. Boston Ale is a MUCH better mass-produced alternative. If you have to drink this, drink it ice-cold. It get's nasty warm. (1,300 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

One of My favorite pale ales. This beer is very smooth with an excellent smell. I drank one with a Steak on Saturday night and the combination was awsome. A must try for any beer drinker. Well worth the money. Some of my other recomendations for ales, try Redhook's IPA or Summit EPA (283 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Had a bottle of this at the Wildhorse Saloon in Nashville, TN. I was there to cheer on my Titans. The Titans won. On to the beer...

Clear Orange amber with beautiful, lucious, foamy, yellow-tan head. Sweet aroma of caramel and bready malt. Very nice array of interchanging flavors of sweet malt, caramel and citrusy hops, with a bitter and nutty aftertaste. Wonderful malt backing - a nice quality like other Sierra Nevada beers I've had. Medium carbonation. Extremely drinkable - I had a few of these. Very nice brew. (521 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

This was a great pale ale as far as I'm concerned. I had it straight off the tap in a pint glass. Had a little bit of an amberish color to it. Although I thought it was a great beer, it tastes very similar to the Rock Bottom Brewery's Potomac Pale Ale (my last review). Sierra Nevada however is definitely in my top five of favorite pale ales. (343 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a light amber, clear color with a continuous stream of bubbles, seemingly feeding a tiny, creamy, white head. Nose is citrus and cascase with a sour, grainy thing happening. Taste is citrus up front, tangy and slightly fruity in the middle, bitter and dry for the finish... very balanced. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and medium to light. Great stuff from a big producer. The classic American Pale Ale. (409 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

This beer was served from the tap with a dull amber color and a thin 1cm head. The aroma is a nice malty one with a bit of floral hop scent mixed in. Being that I've had this beer so much here in CA I've never really stopped to notice the beautiful aroma of this beer. But this time I did and I appreciate it much more now.

The flavor has a mild sweet malt profile with touches of cascade hops. A soft nuttiness is also present, but not in an overpowering or oily fashion. The beer is smooth and certainly suitable as a daily drinker. (537 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

Served at InField's, Chicago Loop. Good to see this style-setting beer at more places in my neck of the woods. Pours an appealing amber body under a thin pale ale head. Originally had a mild taste, but I felt that I was "tasting" the glass more (maybe it wasn't rinsed correctly), but the fine balance of hop and malt came through. Definite northwestern hop profile with spice, bitterness and a light fruity touch. A good, toasty malt blend that's just a little sticky on the palate. Leaves a nice aftertaste and a little alcohol warmth to enjoy afterward. Not "extreme" by any means, but an excellent session beer. (615 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%

Well I finally got around to this American classic. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great, above par in every category, but I couldn't drink more than a few of these. Can't really say anything about this that hasn't been said before, good for the style, but nothing to write home about. A must try for any connoisseur of the cold ones. (328 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Well after I finished my Newcastle Brown I finally got the Sierra Pale that I had ordered. Maybe the knockout I got from the Newcastle caused my Sierra impressions to suffer, but this was purely slightly above average across the board.

It poured clear gold with a white head. It smelled of hops and malt. It's taste was clean and sharp with a malt start and a hop finish. It was light and dry in the mouth. A decent beer, but not one I'll be searching for. (460 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Short brown bottle from Dick's Last Resort after I was allowed to leave work early because business was so slow (which I directly attribute to their lack of Dogfish Head and Stone products).

Hops and lemons fill my nose and the taste is hops galore, although not to the point that it's intrusive. Definitely a good starting brew for folks who are getting into the hops.

This is a standard nowadays, a true American beer and style to boot. This baby is dangerously drinkable, make sure you pick up enough to satisfy your thirst. (534 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

What can I say that hasn't already been said?? This is the best APA around and quite honestly my favorite domestic beer. Pours out of the bottle with a small head that doesn't stick around long. Smells of those wonderful Cascade hops...how I love them. The taste is smooth and hoppy. Great on a hot summer day, or any day for that matter. This is what beer should be. (367 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

One of the first non-macro American beers I ever had back years ago. Its been over a year since I last had this one, so lets see where this takes us. The beer pours a light golden color with about one finger of head that falls quickly. The nose is hops and more hops. Just what I want in a good APA. Theres some floral and some citrus in the hop character...it just comes together and smells good. I guess I have come along since I last sampled this beer. The hop character is nicely balanced with sweet malts. Just a good beer. I would like to see a bit more hop carry through in the flavor, but it doesn't detract from the beer. The beer is not too thick or too thin in my mouth. Nice all around. This is an easy session beer. I'm glad I revisited it after taking some time off from it. Just a good offering. (810 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%

This beer seems ubiquitous in America and the rest of the free world but believe it or not, its hard to come by in Ontario, Canada (thanks to our silly language laws with regards to product labels).
I was expecting a lot and was pleasantly surprised. All I can say is wow!

Pours a light bronze color with a small wispy head and minimal lacing. The aroma is amazing. A flawless boquet of aroma and bittering hops with a solid bready malt background. Lots of cedary and citrusy hops without being too harsh. The taste is very hoppy but a bit more restrained than Liberty Ale. Along with hop and malt flavors there's fruits like melon and grapes evident. Incredibly Complex and well rounded with hops clearly up front.

The mouthfeel is exceptional with subtle carbonation (thanks to the bottle conditioning I suppose). This beer is excessively drinkable and as good as I imagined. Thank god they sell it in western Canada. (926 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

This one came served to me from the bar in...a Mason jar? Yep, ah well, it's a treat to find some halfway decent draught offerings in my little town.Filled to the brim of a 16oz Mason jar so not much head to speak of, although there is a sturdy layer of foam on top of the ruby-hued amber body.The scent was a bit of caramel malt, with a hefty dollop of Cascade hops, piney and grapefruit. The taste was really nice, seemed to be really fresh, resinous hops with enough malt presence to back it adequately. Mouthfeel was about medium-light, and makes the beer really refreshing. This beer had more hop presence than a local IPA I was having afterwards, so I ended up returning to it. When I had it this time it just really seemed to be pushing Pale Ale into IPA territory. Delicious, and as ever a real go-to beer. (814 characters)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.