Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,876 | Hads: 10,531
4.06/5  rDev +0.2%

Serving style bottle at about 40 degrees from the refrigerator.
Pours a nice slightly off white head.
Pretty amber color.
Very slight smell of malt and a light hop aroma.
The taste is spicy and slightly peppery with a very pleasant hop bitterness at the finish. The malt is hardly noticeable at the beginning but as it begins to warm it becomes more apparent and a slight sweetness is detectable. The spiciness and peppery taste grows slightly as it warms too and I detect a very faint hint of clove toward the end.
This is the beer that got me started on my quest for better beer and still one of my favorites. It's only fitting that it would be my first one to review.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

I just bought a sixer of this. Poured a yellow-orange color with a thick light-tan head with alot of rising bubbles. Malts and hops with some lemon are very noticable in the smell. The taste is malty at first, with strong hops at the finish. The mouthfeel is strong and malty, coating the tongue with its hoppy aftertaste. I will definately buy this beer again when I am in the mood for a nice pale ale.

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Paid $1.29 for a single bottle.

This is the classic pale ale. The quaffer/session beer for the rest of us. Good price, good brew, I'd keep this around if you're looking to get a bit tipsy for less than $7.00.

Other than that, it's really nothing special. Nice hops, but not fantastic. Not something to go for if you're looking for the unique brew. It's good, but nothing spectacular.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber colored with a thin off-white head. Cascade hop aroma and some muted caramelly malt notes, too. Not particularly bad in any sense, but nothing to email home about, either. I feel this brew shines in its drinkability. It's been a while since I had this beer, and maybe I'm being a little sentimental, but it's good. It's good so revisit some old stand-bys every now and then. Good carbonation. Lacking a bit in malt complexity, and thin in the middle, but Cascades are good...

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Enjoyed on tap at The Pub, Amherst, MA.

16oz pint glass presentation. Hardly a head, but what was present was a white film over a dark amber brew, with no lacing. Light pale malt aroma coupled with a bit of hops, with the flavor carrying on where the nose left off, and an overall acceptable feel. Mouthfeel and drinkability excellent.

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: Good orange-hoppy look.
Smell: Mostly hops on the nose.
Taste: A tasteful amount of hops and bitterness make this a well-balanced ale, from the perspective of a hop head.
Mouthfeel: High carbonation and bitterness make this beer very active in the mouth.
Drinkability: Well-balanced means easy to drink frequently.

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

Slightly hazed orange with a off white to beige head capping off the top.Malt, crisp citrus and hops bleed aroma into the nose with refreshing ease.Malt hits the tastebuds first but are doomed to a quick end by the tidal of hops. Caramel soon joins and smooths out the rest of the drink. Very nicely balanced. The entire drink shalaqs the mouth with great malt and hops. I'll have this again.

2.91/5  rDev -28.1%

The SN Pale Ale pours a bubbly golden orange with a decent white head that has good retention and laces the glass.

Its aroma is malty biscuit with some metallic hops.

The taste is biscuity malts up front with some faint floral hops and then a fairly harsh bitter aftertaste. It is medium bodied with a sticky finish.

Overall, I'm not too impressed. I was expecting more fruity notes to balance the bitterness. I can respect what this beer has done for the microbrewery business, but I've never been able to get into it.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours out a amber/copper color with a pretty decent off-white head. Strong lacing down the side of the glass, and much better than average head retention put this beer among the top. Smell is a category I always struggle with. Having said that, I do detect some hops and citrus notes... possibly some malt in there as well. Overall a pleasant smell. Taste is well above average. Strong hop bitterness balanced by a sweet maltiness and some citrus flavors. Though not overly complex, I feel this is still a very delicate balance that makes it a very good beer. True to the style, it finishes with strong hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is excellent as well. Light and crisp without being over carbonated or too thin. I consider this a very strong offering worthy of a special occasion or everyday consumption alike. Definitely a beer that any craft beer lover should try. Maybe a good beer for someone who was recently converted from macros, but I wouldn't make this one part of such a program too early due to the bitterness!

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

Sierra Nevada is known to many as a standby and a gateway to great beer. This alone gives it high marks.
Pours amber with a finger of white head.
Smell of citrus and raisin.
Raisin-like initial flavor, with a bitter, back of the tongue finish.
Nicely carbonated, with a slightly astringent "stickiness" mid-tongue.
Very drinkable, nice balanced, hoppy Pale Ale.

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

It's with a certain amount of shame that I must admit, that I rarely drink my favorite beers like SNPA, as I'm to busy with all the new beers, or some over the top beer that has caught my fancy, its a shame when we forget our "Old Friends", whether it be beer or people, something I plan on rectifying in both cases.

The beer disembogues the stubby brown 12-ounce bottle a slightly hazy amber color, the head portly and off white in color with the left over lace a fine velum like sheet, that obscures the glass. Oh what a wonderful nose, malt, citrus crisp, hop floral, and just plain sniffable, with the start rich in malt and somewhat sweet, top is middling in its feel. Finish has a determined acidity, the hops wonderfully spicy and the aftertaste desert bone dry. Sorry "Old Friend" if I have ignored you lately, it was not intentional.

4.17/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: The bottle pours a nice amber color, with a nice frothy head that dissipates slowly into the beer as you drink it.

Smell: Strong citrusy hops with definite floral notes, the cascades come through quite strong and beautifully. the malt comes through very slightly, but is largely overpowered by the hops.

Taste: Slightly sweet malt tickles your taste buds and is quickly overpowered by the cascade hops, leaving a bitter and spicy finish to excellently balance the beer. The mouthfeel is medium and supplemented by a medium to strong carbonation.

Overall: Definitely solid beer. This one has long been one of my mainstay beers, I can find it almost anywhere I go, and pretty cheaply at that. Furthermore it's a great session brew, I can and have had many of these throughout the night, and I often feel like i just can't get enough of it.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

This was truly the brew that got me started on good craft beer, and to this day its still a favorite. Pours a beautiful amber with a nice white head about an inch thick. Aromas are of citrus and bitter hops, with a bit of doughy bread malt. For flavor this beer has it all. Initially this beer shows off a barrage of hops, some citrusy, some piney, a just a little that provide some nice bitterness. Somewhere in between all of it some bread and dough like malts sneak their way in to provide a perfect balance. But just as the malts appear, the hops come back into the picture to finish this beer in perfect pale ale fashion, leaving just a bit of spiciness to make you crave another sip. The body of this beer is nice and light with a crisp carbonation. Very well balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

I really enjoyed this one! One of the best I have ever had. Tried several other Sierra Nevada products this day and this by far the best one! Not heavy, but not light - just right! I bought a six pack to acquire a taste and ended up forking out $120 to put on a half! Highly recommended!

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a deep, but clear and consistent golden brown. Aroma is pleasant with slight flowery undertones. Taste is clean but not without flavor and the hops are generous but not overpowering. Hits the back of the tongue producing a round mouthfeel. Very drinkable. A clear example of a classic Pale Ale without overreaching in complexity.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

After a break I have been drinking this beer quite a bit lately and must say that I am impressed with it all over again. It's a classic in the light caramel/ citrusy hops vein but what I am struck with is just how elegant this beer has become. Residual sweetness, bitterness, malt and hops in the nose- it's all in perfect proportion. This is a real quality APA.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured clear and golden, without much of a head, just a ring around the edge left now. Tiny bit of a hoppy smell to it. The taste is a wonderfully smooth malt and hops flavor to it. Very nice, smooth feel to it. Previously, I've liked the sharper, crisper feel, but the smoothness of this one is wonderful.

This is a definite beer to pick up again. Wonderful Pale Ale.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

This was an excellent ale that poured a clear deep yellow with a good head that dissolved to lace rings.

The aroma was beautiful, of tangy bitter hops and pine and cedar notes. It drew me toward the first taste.

The taste was very bitter, with pine and grapefruit overtones. There was no prominent maltiness. It was very dry and excellent.

I highly recommend this one.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

This is a beer that grew on me slowly and is now a regular in my arsenal. My first impressions, several years ago, was that it wasn't worth drinking because of the lingering aftertaste. Either I have grown used to it or their recipe has changed slightly. There are some other Sierra Nevada beers I don't like for similar reasons but the Pale Ale has gained my affection.

The color is a solid brown with a bite in the aroma. It has a complex, woody, but dry taste to it and a bit of a tingle from the carbonation. Back to that aftertaste. It is also very dry but, like I said, either I'm used to it or it has been toned down. If that is what you notice at first and it turns you off, be sure to give it a few more tries. You might be surprised.

I wasn't surprised when Consumer Reports rated it the best overall beer based on taste and cost. Of course, since they couldn't review every beer out there, people might not agree. But they aren't way off base.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a dark golden color with a nice slightly off-white head that was thick and stuck around a while. Steady carbonation.

The smell was hoppy, maybe a little piney and citrusy.

The flavor was strong, but not offensively so, hops, with pine and citrus notes. This had a classic pale ale taste with no off-flavors. A very solid brew.

The mouthfeel was smooth, for a pale ale. The hops are out-front, but not in your face with bitterness. Nice carbonation, but not too tingly.

I could drink this all night long. It is a solid pale ale with strong hop flavor, but none of the disagreeable bitterness and over-pined flavor of some pale ales.

Tasted 7/4/04.

Appearance: Amber gold with a fluffy white head. Active cabonation.

Smell: Citrusy hoppy, with pale malts and whiff of alcohol.

Taste: Carmel malt, with an aggressive, but clean and fresh hop character.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, sprtzy and smooth at the same time.

Drinkability: Excessively so. The Quintessential American Pale Ale.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

This is known as the epitome of an American Pale Ale, as well it should. It has a nice appearance in the glass, with a slightly cloudy orange color. The lace sticks around until I finish the beer. The smell is citrusy, and so is the taste. The taste is also dominated by hopiness and a little bit of sweetness from the citrus flavor. This is overall a very versatile beer. It is great in the summer and the winter. It is great with or without food. It is, without a doubt, a pleasure to drink.

I have been drinking this beer for years and as of late it has become my staple at most Boston bars/restaurants that have the conventional/limited selection of beers.

This beer is readily available in the area that I live and very reasonably priced for a craft beer of this magnitude at most supermarkets or liquor stores.

For reviewing purposes, I had this out of a 12 oz twist off bottle. I think this is a great label as well, great shade of distintive green with the Sierra Nevada logo to match.

The appearance is a nice burnt orange color. I can smell floral like aromas from the beginning. Nice head on this beer.... maybe 1/2 -3/4 inch or so.

The hop aromas are right there. I think its the balance of the Cascade hops that I dig so much in this beer.

There is a real nice crisp and clean character to this beer. One of my favorite Pale Ales.

2.74/5  rDev -32.3%

I expected more from this Pale Ale, perhaps it was the batch that was the problem. Pours light amber. Smells a lot of hops and alcohol, kinda skunky. Tastes rather bitter with a generous portion of hops, alcohol, and skunk that stays with your tongue until your next sip. I was not impressed at all.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

12 oz. bottle

This was one of my first good beers back in the day and it is still with me today. Don't know why I haven't ever reviewed it until now.

Pours gold with a large white head, lots of lace. Aroma is citrus hop, a little bread, and a sedate malt. Taste follows along with quite balanced hop and malt (hop in the front malt in the rear.) Clean and crisp feel, every drink is great.

This is a wonder beer that is available all over, frequently quite cheaply (I got my current 12pk for $7.99)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.