Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
ColdPoncho

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Lots of numbers and things printed on the bottle. Don't know what they mean, but I would suspect this beer is about 4 months old, based on the store.

A - A hazy but clear amber body with touches of rose around the light. Small white head lingers a bit

S - Mild citrusy hops, light sweet malt. Small nose.

T - Bitter citrus hops are the thing here, but that's not overpowering. It's also got a nice simple malty backbone and its a good balance.

M - Medium-thin body, fairly smooth. Decent

O (D) - This is a good tasting beer that is not mind blowing in any way, but it's very good and very drinkable, and I find it to be rather sessionable. A great beer year round for sure.

04-09-2011 23:08:32 | More by ColdPoncho
legalpete19340

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A: Poured a nice bright orangish gold with a thick two finger head that stuck to the glass and laced perfectly.

S: Piney hops push forward with citrus notes in the back, dry herbal scent with crispy pale malt. Smells like a dry forest.

T: Bitterness hits upfront with loads of pine and herbal spiciness. A solid pale malt backbone holds everything up and swings into the mid swig with a crispness and caramel sweetness then backs off again and lets the hops finish things up with a slap of bitterness.

M: Medium and surprisingly foamy/creamy with perfect carbonation.

O: Just a great beer IMO. Perfect example of the APA style. I keep coming back to this beer and am impressed by how enjoyable and interesting it is. Made better because I can find it anywhere.

04-09-2011 02:38:08 | More by legalpete19340
pmlondrigan

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

I can't believe it has taken me this long to review this beer, I've only been drinking it forever. Decent pour honey amber with a white head that actually creates lacing, surprising as I usually drink this out of the bottle. Aroma is kinda hoppy I guess, more bitter and grassy and vegitile. The flavor is of pale malt, and grassy whole leaf hops, some herbacious taste and a mite of floral woody hops. Regular body, nothing special, overall it is sierra nevada pale ale. Period.

04-09-2011 01:32:49 | More by pmlondrigan
Azurescens

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz bottle with bottled on date 029121011, checked their website and code doesn't match with their formats for '09 or '11 so I assume this was bottled in late '10. Don't really see the point of bottling codes that change format every year, especially if you can't look up the formats for all previous years. Poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/7/11

A: Pours a slightly hazed nice golden orange with dense fluffy head that I can already see sticking itself to the sides of my glass. Head hangs around for a while and leaves nice rings of lace around glass. So far so good.

S: Good combination of floral hops with some sweet malt aromas and a touch of alcohol and honey, nothing overpowering. Not too shabby.

T: A very noticeable crisp hop bitterness greets my taste buds up front that slowly fades to let the caramel malts and sweet hop resins come through briefly at the finish. Pretty standard taste for a pale ale, nothing special.

M: Plenty of carbonation and a medium-light body, slightly sharp up front with a smoother finish.

O: Pretty standard pale ale, the carbonation and hop bitterness that first greet your mouth hide the nice malt and hop flavors that come through towards the end of each sip. Decent pale ale, won't be grabbing six packs of this any time soon, but wouldn't turn one down either, especially on a hot summer day.

04-08-2011 06:28:27 | More by Azurescens
madvermin

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a crystal clear pale amber, with a good color that isn't too deep but also not too light. Head is ample, frothy, and leaves generous lace.

Some nice grapefruit citrus hits the nose along with a good deal of grainy malt beneath. Citrus is definitely better than I remember, and the malt is acts to make a well balanced aroma.

Taste is a great combination of full malt flavor, including a toffee character before the grainy finish, and soft citrus. Malt is more prevalent here than in the nose, but the citrus does just enough to keep everything a good strength and balanced. Finish is slightly bitter and dry - good stuff.

Mouthfeel is fuller than a lot of other pale ales and the finish is a good dry as mentioned earlier. Carbonation is at the right level as well. Drinkability is phenomenal, as the flavors aren't too strong, but aren't pushovers either, and the finish is easy and dry. Readily available and really good is an awesome combination.

04-07-2011 08:54:05 | More by madvermin
MattyG85

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Golden and cloudy with a big white bubbly head. Good head retention with a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: Strong citrus hop scent with pine and a hint of malt.

Taste: Starts with floral and pine hops followed by a hint of grapefruit and breadiness. Overall not very bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall: A very tasty ale with a very good balance between sweetness and bitterness.

04-07-2011 05:20:35 | More by MattyG85
cole2

Oregon

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Gold and a little cloudy. Holds on to a one-finger head with spotty lacing the whole way down.

S: Hits the nose hoppy. There's some sweet maltiness here, too, as well as some citrus. A nice clean smell.

T: Pretty hop-heavy with plenty of fruity sweetness. Not a terribly complex flavor but that's not the point here. Very crisp and refreshing.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink.

O: A great pale ale. Pretty dry and straightforward, this is definitely a favorite APA.

04-07-2011 05:00:30 | More by cole2
Jinholic

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance - Clear deep gold with off white head, no lacing and almost no carbonation. Head stayed for a bit and I could get it back a bit at the end.

Smell - Hops, hops and more hops with faint malts.

Taste - Straight sweet fruity hops with malts in the back (more of an after thought). Clean finish not dry at all.

Mouthfeel - Crisp clean and smooth, no dryness here. Medium body with almost zero carbonation.

Overall - Very hoppy pale but as a hophead I like it. I give this a thumbs up go grab one for yourself and give it a go.

04-05-2011 08:23:56 | More by Jinholic
Kylito87

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

This has always been my go to beer when the wallet is tight. I can't believe I have never actually sat down to review it.

Appearance- Hazy amberish gold. Offwhite cap of head. spotty lacing.

Smell- Citrus hop kick with some earthy grass and pine resin notes. Some sweet malt in the background.

Taste- Nice clean hop kick at first and a dry bready malt. Not overly complex but that is part of the charm of this beer.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with moderate carbonation.

Overall- This is one of my all time go to beers. Is it mind blowing no but is it delicious absolutly. It is a good beer at a good price.

04-02-2011 19:06:50 | More by Kylito87
claspada

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Aroma is initially piney and floral hops with a slight citrus; a little pale and biscuity malt as well.

The taste begins with light breadiness, a hint of sweetness but gently dominated by the floral and piney hops. Lesser amounts of grapefruit bitterness with a hint of complex, ripe fruit left over in the finish. A pleasant bitterness and not too dry. Full almost chewy.

The mouthfeel is medium with average carbonation. Slight stickiness on the lips. Overall it's good but not what I would consider the be all and end all for APAs. I prefer Great Lakes Burning River and Deschutes Mirror Pond.

04-01-2011 15:26:41 | More by claspada
swooshjtb

Mississippi

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

This is one of my "go-to" beers. I can enjoy this beer all year long. The appearance is on par with most other pale ales. However, the taste is, in my opinion, much better. This beer is always seems fresh with a great mouthfeel and a bold taste. If you are someone that like sweeter beers, this may not be the one for you. If you are looking to try a good pale ale to get introduced to the style, then this is a great place to start. You'll be hooked.

04-01-2011 00:45:35 | More by swooshjtb
LazyL

British Columbia (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours an appealing amber/orange with a fluffy white head. Not alot of hop on the nose but a nice malty ale with a slightly bitter finish. The bitter level on the mouthfeel is good and makes this beer. The hops were used as a bittering agent here and I dont offer much on the nose or taste. Good balance between sweetness and bitterness making this a nice beer for the style and good for a couple cold ones.

03-31-2011 01:53:46 | More by LazyL
jaycount

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

I figured it's about time I reviewed this classic.

A - Light golden in color, looks like most pale ales... delicious!

S - Citrusy hops, only a slight bit of maltiness.

T - Alot of hops, especially sharp at the end of the swallow. I'm not sure if I drink mild IPAs or if this is a hoppy PA but this guy has quite a bit going for it.

M - Light, carbonated, refreshing.

This is a great drink for a hot, sunny Summer day.

03-30-2011 02:09:29 | More by jaycount
yeahnatenelson

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

I had to get to this one eventually...

Appearance - Pours a gently hazed amber hue with an orange heart and a stuff sudsy white head. Silly string-like lacing.

Smell - Pine resin, dry grasses, faint floral hops, and bready malt. Smells very dry with hop aromas that bring about thoughts of foliage and meadows. If I had to describe the nose in one word, it would have to be clean.

Taste -- While not as bracingly hop forward as many other APA's that have followed the trail blazed by SNPA, the hop character is still very much in the forefront. Deeply resinous with hints of prairie grasses and Spring flowers. Malting is dry and bready with the faintest shadow of honey sweetness.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with medium carbonation - lively, but not harsh on the tongue. Immensely drinkable.

Overall -- While not my start, this beer was the beer that launched a thousand beer nerds, probably in the hundreds of thousands by now. Crisp, clean, and very much an antithesis to other fizzy, yellowish water that, for most craft lovers, came before SNPA. Not my favorite APA, but after having so many in the style Sierra Nevada still holds its own after so many years.

03-30-2011 01:32:57 | More by yeahnatenelson
MadMike80

Georgia

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

Mildly sweet at start strong hops bitterness finish, enough malt keeps it creamy. Grapefruit-like aftertaste lingers, does not turn me off. Smells like the outdoors. I love seeing the sediment floating around in my glass.
Excellent brew.

This is probably my new favorite beer I can no longer go to the package store without picking up some sierra.

03-28-2011 15:41:00 | More by MadMike80
Guden

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A- Medium gold in color, with a lively inch tall head.

S- Light malty sweetness and refreshing citrusy hops

T- The hops are there but the flavor is more complex than the nose with a little pine, lots of citrus, some juicy fruit and apricot flavors too just to perfectly round it out. Low in bitterness for the style, making the flavors seem even more juicy and fruity but enough to balance out any sweetness and make the hops the star.

M- Light and easy drinking. Medium carbonation and low in body.

D- Extremely easy to drink, nothing too strong but enough going on to bring me back for a few more. Nicely complex without overpowering.

03-27-2011 21:19:09 | More by Guden
RonnieBear

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Picked this up at the liquor store due to its reputation. I've tried around 25 craft beers now, and this seemed like one I had to at least try before I went too much further down the rabbit hole. Really like the label design and color scheme for some reason. Just looks like it's going to be good.

Pours with a nice foamy head. Amber color, can see right through it. Can't really smell much of it at all.

Tastes like a good, basic, beer, which is what I was expecting. Figured it would be a decent, unoffensive crowd pleaser, but girlfriend and roommate both really did not like it, and they are fairly into craft brewing as well. Kinda weird. I thought it went down easy, and I drank mine quite fast.

Overall, much more refreshing than I was expecting. This beer seems like it would be best outside on a hot day or after a long day of work. A solid offering that I would buy again.

03-27-2011 00:18:14 | More by RonnieBear
Bouleboubier

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

You will forever remind me of barefoot dirty hippies and bonfires in the woods, drunk and drugged-out caravans to outdoor summer concerts and festivals, and the elixir to accompany a lukewarm slice of congealed-greasy pizza before, during, or the morning after a "rager" or the "kegger". Sipping you for the first time from that familiar green-labeled stubby bottle, I left behind just about every swill can lager and gravelly Michelob/Miller Lite I gulped up to that point at 16. I only had eyes and tastebuds for you those next couple years until I moved to college and laid down with some fine new bitches with exotic names like HopDevil, Delirium Tremens, La Fin Du Monde (tre chic), and SkullSplitter (and I'm sure a few couple dozen more whose names and faces I've long forgotten).

Coming back to you now for the first time in a long time (and one of the few times in a glass), I do believe you still have a piece of my heart. Beauteous is your gel amber glow. You'll give me head whenever I please with a swirl. A scent of dainty, delicately perfumy flowers, orange spice, and rich, clean cereal malt. Your hops, tenaciously citrus, bitter and prickly on my tongue. Round, smooth malts boasting fine crystal presence flowing fairly full-bodied, clean and deceptively spritzy-dry. Each sip leaves me with an oh-so-mild peppery and spirited rush and the spectre of tangy yeast and flower petals finishing me off.

Hey, even after all this time, you still got the goods. Love ya.

03-25-2011 04:10:33 | More by Bouleboubier
AmericanGothic

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip.

A: Medium honey color, two-finger off-white head with decent retention and good lace. Mostly clear with good carbonation.

S: Nice floral hops with biscuity malt in the background.

T: Interesting! Clear flavors of celery seed and sweet rose water. Under this lies more biscuit. Minerals and dryness in the finish.

M: Medium body, smooth and good feeling of carbonation.

O: Would definitely drink more than one, quite pleasant.

I really like the flavors in this. Uncomplicated, but still compelling. Will surely buy it again.

03-24-2011 23:20:40 | More by AmericanGothic
Jimmys

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

A: a brilliant gold/copper hue. streaming carbonation can be seen through the clear body. bubbly white head leaves behind some nice lacing.

S: sweet citrus, green tea. big toasted sourdough notes as the beer warms a little.

T: bitter orange peel. definitely a solid american hop varietal detected. chalky, breadiness imparted partly by the yeast present in this bottle conditioned product and partly by the bready specialty malts used. some sweetness/toast present from this specialty malts as well.

M: pretty moderate carbonation on a medium body. finish is moderately dry, but has a bitter residual as well.

D: a very common, very well made APA. i would imagine just about every user on this site has had this one at one point. not my all time favorite APA, but definitely an american classic.

03-24-2011 22:16:45 | More by Jimmys
kjcourt

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Found a bottle in the back of my fridge about 2 months after I bought the twelver. Same great taste as that day, slightly bitter with the right amount of hops. Not a beer to have more than 3 or four at a time, but a nice change of pace when I'm relaxing with some friends. Definitely a go to.

03-24-2011 00:38:45 | More by kjcourt
Eriktheipaman

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Finally getting around to reviewing this classic.

Pours a golden amber with white head that leaves decent lacing.

The smell is mostly of malt with some piney hops as well.

The taste is very straight forward with little complexity and along the same lines as the smell. Piney, bitter, with a bready malt taste on the back.

This beer is a classic and has always been a go to beer and I dont ever see that changing.

03-22-2011 03:46:57 | More by Eriktheipaman
JednoPivoProsim

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from 12 fl oz bottle into pint glass. Bottled on day 361 of 2010 (December 28?) I would prefer to review a fresher bottle, but this is what I have in front of me.

Appearance: A classic look. Thick soapy head that hangs around for awhile on top of a light golden body.

Smell: Not overpowering in the least, albeit slightly metallic.

Taste: Ahh, as good a pale ale as you will ever taste. Slight piney hop profile with a full body. I think I actually prefer the taste straight out of the bottle - habit maybe?

Mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. Smooth operator.

Overall: Probably one of the most sessionable craft beers I have yet to come across. I could drink this all day. Again, a classic.

03-21-2011 23:34:34 | More by JednoPivoProsim
schoolboy

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

So how long have I been drinking this? At least ten years. Is it my favorite? Idon't know, I guess not. It's kind of like Led Zeppelin, you don't need to own any of it or play any of it, just listen to classic rock on the radio and you will get a steady dose. The same goes for this - you may be in an unfamiliar place in Florida (I am) but you can go into a gas station and buy this (I did). There wasn't much other good beer to buy. You can count on SN PA,and the distribution is huge.

It's a consistent, wellmade pale. Hoppy enough and very satisfying. I didn't have many choices today but I had this one good old friend available.

03-20-2011 23:35:04 | More by schoolboy
notchucknorris

3.73/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Nice golden color with a lasting cream colored head and nice lacing.

S: Floral hops and a little bit of caramel. The hops always seem to smell fresh.

T: Citrus hops and a lot of biscuity malt. A little lemon and grapefruit in there. This is a good pale ale, just not my favorite.

03-18-2011 21:22:58 | More by notchucknorris
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.