Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,876 | Hads: 10,533

Ah, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. What else is there to say? You've had it, you know all about it. SNPA is the best American Pale Ale there is, hands down. The quality and consistency of this beer is impeccable.

Getting into the wonderful world of craft-beer, this was my first true love, and will always be one of my all-time favorites.

For anyone getting into micro brews, this beer is going to seem like a kick in the face, with its standout cascade hop character. It certainly was for me. Funny - after a while, and many other beers tried, the hops now seem finely tuned and very well balanced.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is refreshing, vibrant, alive. Extremely recommended and fortunately available in almost as many places as Samuel Adams.

A - Pours an orange amber with good head and lacing.

S - Citrus, pine. Great balance of hops and malt flavors.

T - Love the smell of this beer. Citrus and pine. Floral notes are also present.

M - Perfect carbonation with a medium mouth feel. Good crisp feel.

O - This is my favorite beer. Great anytime of the year.

My everyday go to drinking beer. Always in my refrigerator for any occasion. It is so affordable yet it has incredible excellent taste. Highly recommended!

This one is classic for sure! It goes down smooth and in Southern California you can find for less then 8 dollars a six pack compare to other craft beer this a great bargain

Appearance : It has a bronze and some gold color, and a very thick and lon lasting lacing

Smell: Pine and cedar
Taste - Plenty of hops which are balanced . Has a earthy " taste to it and very refreshing without feeling you up.
Mouthfeel : medium and and satisfying

People who are looking for a World Class beer with some hops in it witch are balance. This would be the beer to try. I been drinking this beer for 15 years now and I will keep on drinking it

If you like a beer balanced with hops and malt and one that has alot of taste characteristics and enough hops to keep you interested then you I guess you really want the very best of a session beer. This is an exceptional beer that should be exported to other nations so that they will know we are more than Anheuser Busch and Miller Coors and even more than Sam Adams.

This beer holds up to the best of them and actually is in the winner's circle of the best of them

I already reviewed this beer and my comments on the various components of the SNPA experience remain the same.

It seems like every time the subject of beer comes up I always go to SNPA as a year-round "can't miss" and I have repeatedly described it to anyone who would listen as "overall, the best beer in the world". Taking into account quality, price, consistency and availability - I still hold this statement to be true (given my limited experience).

Therefore, I think that this beer belongs in my very limited pantheon of "5's".

If one would like to split hairs, I would give it somewhat less than a 5 in every category except taste and drinkability but, as a man in love, I say to you - "I don't care, she's perfect!"

Look: Poured from bottle into tulip glass. Orange gold, slightly cloudy
Smell: Citrus, piney hops
Taste. Very hop forward. The citrus and piney bitterness that I love about IPAs and pale ales, with a malty biscuity finish. Amazing
Feel: medium body, very drinkable.

Overall: this may be the perfect pale ale. I love the hop forwardness followed by the malty sweetness at the finish.

On a scale of 1-5, this beer is a 10.

Just a wonderful beer, perfect color, perfect level of hops. I would drink this like water if it were socially acceptable...

It is available just about everwhere now, even at Rite Aid, which makes it even better. The perfect beer available just about everywhere.

Bittering Hops: Magnum, Perle.
Finishing Hops: Cascade.
Malts: 2-row Pale, Caramel.

38 IBU.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 01.23.14.

A: See through orange. 1/2 finger head.

S: Grapefruit. Not as strong as other APAs.

T: Pine, biscuit.

M: Crisp. Nice and bubbly on the tongue.

O: This is definitely a softer APA in terms of hops than others, but that is an unfair comparison since it is from an earlier time than more current hop-heavy APAs. It is a very well balanced, easy drinking beer. This is a classic, a standard, and a piece of craft beer history that you can drink today. Amazing!

I love this beer, by far one of my favorites. any trip into a bar with this on tap and it is a must have for at least one pint. I have always been a pale ale kinda dude and this one really sets the bar for me. a perfect gateway beer for anyone that wants to get into craft beer

What can you say: The Classic West-Coast Style American Pale Ale and the standard to introduce people to APA's.

Golden and unfiltered with a nice tight low ivory head. Strong citrusy (grapefruit) hop aroma. Big hoppy flavor without the annoying bitter bite. Decent balance but definitely leans hoppy. Light-medium bodied (leans light) with slight creaminess.

The bonus: Available virtually everywhere !!

This is my go to beer. One of my favorite pale ales. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Had about two fingers worth on head on it. Has a great hop and floral smell to it. Pours a nice amber color with nice lacing. Taste of hops, citrus, and floral notes. Has a nice dry finish to it. All in all just a great beer.

Ok, I drink this beer more than i drink any other so yeah, i could be considered a fan, but whatever. This beer is a staple in my fridge. and to me... this is the perfect beer for solidarity in a pale ale. Pours a light amber. Smell is citrus and floral...with pine. Man, does this beer taste good! It's perfect for a pale ale. the taste is a sweet-but not too sweet malt, but then the hops have their say. awesome hop bitter..The lacing is awesome.. it's like drooping rings.ABV is 5.6% so it's easy to slam a 6 pack. pretty much perfect for a pale ale on drinkability. i mean this beer is perfect for a pale ale in my opinion and it's really easy to find! they did some serious work on this recipe. An extremely awesome solid beer. In my opinion, if you don't like this pale ale...then you just don't like pale ale.

A classic for a reason. Poured into a pint glass from a six pack purchased at PW Mart in Poway CA. Smells spicy, hoppy, with some citrus. Pours a honey yellow with a big white fluffy head. Tastes delicious. Remarkabely smooth and refreshing with a hoppy bite to it. This is one of my favorite beers ever. It can be enjoyed straight out of the bottle. Highly recommended.

Excellent Pale Ale! Sorry Sweetwater must say they have you beat in this department. This is a smooth beer with a bite of hops in the finish. It has a great flavor with a orange rind punch. I really like this Pale Ale It is very light bodied mouthfeel and a very nice and refreshing clean finish. Very good brew would recommend anyone try it.

This is my first review and the only one i'll score a 5 across the board. I wont throw perfect scores around. I'll score the brews i review accordingly. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale dominates.

- Pours excellent. Has an attractive bronze/gold color, and comes alive with bubbles as it hits the glass and stays alive unlike many other ales that lose carbonation quickly.
- Has a unique smell that reminds me of cedar, and just calls out your name.
- Plenty of hops to balance the carbonation to bitterness ratio. Has a "foresty" taste to it(for lack of a better word), and doesn't get old. It's hard to drink the other beers when Sierras are in the cooler. They always go first at the fights we host.
- The mouthfeel is simply crisp, and satisfying
- As for the drinkability like I said before they always go before all of the other beers. They're great all night. Not too filling, and you wont't be making trips to the bathroom each brew.

This beer is perfect.

This is the King of pale ales! One of the beers that started me off into craft beer.. And I still drink them today. I've never had a bad one.. 5/5 all day

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, 5.6 ABV, cals=172
In tap @ Sawgrass
- 1 finger head, golden/orange/light amber color, semi decent lacing, foamy head has good endurance.
- Primarily hoppy smell, floral notes in background, with pronounced citrus & grapefruit hop notes
- One of my go to pale ales. I like the citrus hop charactersticcs on a solid malt bill. Appropriatte caramel malt support IMO. Just the way I like hoppy brews - noticeable malt support.
- Medium body, good carbonation, minor bitter aftertaste.
- A very approachable pale ale for newbies, I like cascade hops and their floral/citrus notes. Top of my list for a very accessible APA's. Easy to find, always very much enjoyed. Affordable @ $8 per sixer, EXCELLENT APA and a steal at the always consistent affordable pric

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

this is the best beer that i can remember ever drinking.got my first pint on tap at b j pizza in corpus christi,texas. has a slight haze.the first taste fills your mouth with flavor,has a citrus bitterness to it.this beer is so good even my light beer drinking daughters didnt think it was bad.i highly recomend this to anybody who wants to get out of their rut.

The king!

Taking the best of the craft/micro breweries, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has achieved an APA that is supreme in flavor, mouth feel, and finish.

A marvelous color and body greet you at the tap or glass-pour. Beautiful staunch head and matching foam greets your lips as you sink into one outstandingly smooth and full-featured beers.

I knew it as soon as I tasted this. You cannot get a better beer. You can pay more, but you can't get a better one. Absolutely solid, glass after glass. MOST impressive. Exactly what this kind of beer should be.

Sam Adams introduced the American Micro Brew style into mainstream acceptance over 20 years ago, and Sierra Nevada has taken it to it's next step. A truly masterful brew in every respect. Absolutely my favorite for excellent reasons.

This is my first review I had to review this brew first simply for the fact that its the best beer I've had. Perfect
It's a citrus smell along with a citrus taste except the hops are absolutely top notch perfected. Have drank in a glass and bottle and their both to die for. I'm from los Angeles so this is a beer that is placed in a lot of stores around me, and for good reasons it should. Love this beer and love the Sierra nevada brewery. Perfect beer

I don't know what the hell you all expect in a beer but this little mofo just rocked me! This beer is my new favorite! I just had one bottle from a sample case of many that I received for my birthday and DAMN! I just found my new favorite! My old favorite was Newcastle but now I think I found my true love! I haven't checked the price of this beer yet, but I hope I can afford it! The head stayed moderate throughout the enjoyment of this beer. It smelled a little piney and woodsy and I didn't want to drink the last damn drop knowing that this is the only bottle I had of it. What a teaser! It's kinda like the first good piece of a@@ you ever got. You feel like you want to savor the flavor but get greedy and say screw it, I'm going all the way....It's like that! Dudes, if you haven't tried SN, try it! You won't regret it! My fridge will forever be stocked with Sierra Nev. until my next love comes along...

This beer is my "Ol' trusty" in my fridge. You can always go to it and it always delivers, every time!

Let me explain why I chose to give this a 5 across the board. The taste is exceptional, and it's a classic pale ale, lots of pine! But what truly makes this beer excellent is the value. For what you pay and what you receive, one truly gets a bargain.

Put this beer head to head with any in its class, and it will beat them hands down. However, compare the price of this beer to those in its class, and it is every bit a bargain as you can find. For instance compared to Dogfish, which makes exceptional stuff, it crushes the competition. Dogfish will break your bank account to get some of their product. But Ol' trusty comes through once again, delivering a superior product at a better price point!

And that in itself deserves a 5 across the board, and yes it is that damn good!

This is my current everyday beer. I am not sure why I like it so much, but I guess it is:
1. Great American Hops, still balanced with the malt
2. Bottle conditioned, not pasteurized. It has a live taste.
3. Brewed here in N.C. Fresh date, fresh N.C. mountain water, low carbon footprint.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.