Join our email list →

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Pale Ale (APA) | 5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,902 | Hads: 10,693
3.72/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Pours a nice amber/gold with nice white head. Head hangs around for a few minutes before fading adn lacing the glass.
S - Smells strongly of hop oil, mainly citric and bit of sweetness.
T - Again, the hops are the dominant flavor, strong citrus with some fruitiness also. Leaves the mouth with a bit of honey sweetness.
M - Nicely carbonated, leaves mouth slightly dry, very smooth.
D - Easy to drink many of these.

3.72/5  rDev -8.1%

I'm pretty new to the APA side of things, more of a dark brew, stout, bock type o' goy. However, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer, I fully expected an extremely hoppy bitterness that wasn't really prodominant in this beer.
Definitely one to get again.
As far as individual aspect thoughts:

A: A nice clear amber body with swirling yeast and a nicee thick off white, creamy head, with a decent retention and amount of lacing. Darker than I expected.

S: I wasn't impressed with the smell. I expected at least a little aroma, but it was lacking heavily in that department. Most IPA's i can smell from top pop.. this APA however only had a sliggghttt hint of citrus and a slight malty hint. not much.

T: Very smooth, clean, lager type taste with a biscuity maltiness that i didn't expect at all. There were several hints of citrus notes and a woody floral taste, more-so pine esque hints. I was pleasantly surprised by the full yet lite flavor of this beer. Very warm clean finish.

M: A very smooth fluffy head and an even smoother body. It went down smooth and poured smooth. A beer that definitely belongs in the silkier side of the beer world.

D: I could definitely kill a sixer of this beer. I only had one, but a few additional bro's would've been nice to kick back on. A definite re-visit is in order, as my first APA, I'm certain it's found a long lasting place in my heart.

An overall B+

Poured into a pint.

A: Dark golden. Heavy carbonation pours into a half finger, off-white, bubbly head. Settles into a sparse smattering of carbonation on the surface. Bubbles stick to the sides of the glass at first, and light carbonation continues to rise throughout. Carbonation eventually completely dissipates. No lacing to speak of.

S: Wheat, hops, hint of orange.

T: Sharp hops on a wheaty foundation, a touch of citrus.

M: Carbonated. Light and bitter. Hops assault the tastebuds. A bit of metallic aftertaste.

D: Good drinkability. Easy drinkin'. A certain refreshing quality.

Really solid pale ale. Decent atmosphere, not a very complex flavor but good for hopheads. Does have a bit of a metallic feel, but good drinkability.

3.72/5  rDev -8.1%

I had one of these the other night and I can't believe that I never bothered to review this beer that I drink pretty frequently.

Apperance: SNPA pours a golden-amber color and had a nice inch of white sticky head that laces the glass. What I think of when I think pale ale.

Smell: This guy smell like he tastes. Hoppy and slick, with some small malt footing.

Taste: Mmm, mmm. Good old SNPA. This has a ton of Cascade hops pushing a tangy bitterness. They hit hard at first sip, but then they settle down and stop attacking your tastebuds. A good malt base of sweet biscuits balances this over time.

Mouthfeel: Slippery hop oil is the most dominant factor and gives this beer a somewhat heavier mouthfeel than most pale ales.

Drinkability: Yes please. This beer has such a wide distribution, I find myself getting it a lot at restaurants and bars that whose selections are only American macros and this. I could drink these for awhile, but if I had other more exotic beers to choose from this would easily be passed over. The classic American micro to whom we are all indebted.

3.72/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look - Crystal clear, darkish golden color, decent amount of carbonation
Smell - Biscuity/bready malts, earth, spice, lemony type citrus
Taste - Spice, biscuity malts, floral, earthy, faint hints of citrus, slight caramel sweetness
Feel - smooth, balanced, super easy drinking, medium bodied

Overall - A classic indeed but nothing overly special here. But if you're looking for a well balanced, easy drinking and always available pale ale....you should give this one a try.

3.72/5  rDev -8.1%

A- golden orange. Fluffy, messy head. Low head retention.

S- tropical fruits, pineapple.

T- bitterness at the forefront, slight stone fruit and melon flavours. Bitterness comes through at the end as well. A metalic hint lingers.

M- relatively high carbonation, rough and uneven. Kind of like home brew. Dry finish.

D- very sessionable. Bitterness stands out as almost being offensive. The APA style is not something I'm accustomed to which may have put me off a bit. I can see why this is a classic.

3.72/5  rDev -8.1%

Had a couple of pints with some blackened grouper while watching a Tampa Bay sunset over the water...

Arrives a dark reddish golden with a thin wispy head ... Not that great....

Faint citrusy hop aromas and a sweet mat bill characterize this one... This one seems to have more pop in the bottle but who knows how long this one has been tapped.... This one is ok...

Sweet roasted malts with a tangy citrus finish... Fairly solid but nothing to write home about...

A nice solid little brew to have with a meal...

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance
Copper-coloured, virtually no head is present.

Smell
Hoppy, with hints of caramel.

Taste
Sharp and hoppy, slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel
Light, fizzy and dry.

Overall
I've had a few in the past and will no doubt have a few more in the future.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz bottle from Feb 6, 2012 and poured into a pint glass.

Pours a fluffy white head and a transparent orange body. Leaves some decent lacing down the glass.

Smells of orange and grapefruit fruitiness with some floral character.

It’s got a nice little crisp bite to it. It’s got the citrus flavor going on with some sweet and bready malt character.

Feels great going down. About a medium mouthfeel and a little dry.

The quintessential gateway craft beer perhaps? I know it was one of my first and still holds up even after drinking ridiculous Double IPA’s and Imperial Stouts.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

Had this on-tap at an airport bar in San Francisco, on my way back to Portland for a spell. Served into a pint glass at about 50 degrees.

Appearance: Brownish-amber color, darker than I'd have predicted a Pale Ale to be. I've had this beer a few times in passing, but upon the reviewing of other Pale Ales, this is darker than many of its kind. Carbonated well as well, with a wavy lacing.

Smell: Slightly metallic, I think the taps had been recently changed and not flushed all that well, but grassy, piny hops with a very present malty texture of slight barley. Hops are understated, with the malt character taking center-stage with almost a bready-ness to it all.

Taste: Much like the smell. Understated hops slightly cover a more malty and bready pale ale. Really not that bitter up front at all, and drinks with a very straight-forward taste that really doesn't evolve beyond slight pine and malty backbone, even as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and carbonated enough, but little bitterness and light flavors add up to just a simple, non-lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability: Well, at 5.6%, it's drinkable, but also kind of dull and not too great and the alcohol is actually more present than I've had in a few beers almost double its ABV. I've had it better in the past, but the flavors are just a little too mild for my mood and wanted just a tad more from it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured Pale Ale into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours dark golden with a full two fingers of pillowy white head.

S - Smooth hop profile with light roasted malt.

T - Mild hop flavors again, good malt backbone. Nothing overpowering or overdone.

M - Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation.

O - A fine beer to have one of or six of. Very close to a classic Pale Ale. Recommended! Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The classic APA. Pours a nice light copper color with a big fluffy white head that goes on and on. Aroma of pine, grapefruits, lemon peel, grass, more pine. Flavor follows with big pine bitter, a beautiful sweet caramel malt backbone, and a lemon peel finish. Lingering grass on the palate. Bubbly carbonation and easy drinking, slightly dry. Good stuff, of course.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

S - Grapefruit and other citrus from the American hops. Slightly grassy. Slight malt aroma.

A - Clear beautiful gold. Cream colored, thick fluffy head with sticky lacing.

T - Citrus hop bitterness and flavor. Well balanced with a bready malt background. Hop flavor transitions to more grassy from middle to end. Very little malt sweetness produces a very clean profile. Dry finish.

M - Moderate body with medium carbonation.

O - A quality APA deserving of its reputation as true to style. Very drinkable.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

A medium-amber body sits below a nice finger-thick head that lasts a bit before settling to the sides.

A mild smell of fruity hops. Not bad but not quite as lively as some other pales I've had.

The taste starts with a citrus and slightly malty taste with a decent hop bitterness at the end.

This has a mostly lively mouthfeel, but isn't harsh. The bitterness that helps the taste takes a tiny bit from the mouthfeel.

This is drinkable as most decent American pales are. I have no problem having a few of these.

Overall it's a good beer, but there's at least a couple of local pales that are at least just as good (and possibly better) and I usually go local when I have a choice.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a medium Amber color. Has an earthy hop aroma with a malty presence. Flavor followed the aroma. Smooth to drink and a solid beer overall. Can easily drink several of these

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Not overly carbonated. Nice transparent brown color. The yeast on the bottom gives it a nice touch in this category.

Smell: Almost smells a bit like oranges to me. Well-spiced, malted, and hopped.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The yeast in the bottom can create a problem, especially if you drink this later in the day...it can give you a bit of a sore throat in the morning if you don't wash it down. Otherwise, taste is very pleasant. Kind of like cinnamon with a peppery bite.

Drinkability: Not the most refreshing beer, but that's not it's purpose. Would probably be decent with dessert.

Overall: I know this craft beer has gained a followig. While I would not rave about it, if you find it cheap, try it. Thumbs up.

pours golden orange with a 1 finger head that leaves spotted lacing

smell is mainly malt but also the hops are present citrus grapefruit with some earthy grassy notes

taste is very much the same - but the hops hit you first grapefruit mixed with the grassy hops then a finish a sweet malts

mputhfeel/drinkability is where is beer loses me - way to harsh - and too much bite and sting

i used to love this beer but boy do times change - it is still a solid beer but if this is the gateway beer i think the craft party might lose some after trying this

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was my introduction to Sierra Nevada, and I have to say despite the overall lackluster taste I have been introduced to a brewery that has much better beers. I just wish I had bought Torpedo first, as this to me is far too similar to the standard macro-brews available. Perhaps if I ever have friends who need a beer to drink while over at my house this will be my choice brew, but otherwise this one won't be gracing my fridge again.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

First thing I noticed was the nice smell - orange peel like? It poured a nice head, and a very attractive amber/orange colour. And then on my first few sips the mouthfeel was a bit acidic, but that was maybe more to do with the strong alcohol - 5.6%. Once it settled down it tasted quite nice, with nice carbonation and flavour.

I cant help thinking it was better when I had it on tap in the united states. But it is still a good beer from the bottle - if a little too strong for a session beer.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

poured into my mickey mouse pilsner( its great don't knock it)
shade darker than than straw pale, inch of clingy white head, good lacing
piney hop smell
piney hops on the tongue too, bit of malt in the back, goes down well, classic beer, the be all and end all of session beers IMO

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's hard to rate such a sentimental favorite, which was probably my introduction to what I now consider "good" beer and serves as the benchmark I use to rate other beers. But since I'm well stocked on it at the moment... The citrusy hops aroma and flavor and crisp, bitter finish set the standard for west coast pale ales. The only bad thing I can say about it is that I've consumed so much of the stuff that it can get a little boring. But if I haven't had it for a while, when I finally do it's clearly a great beer, a true classic.

Most beer drinkers can probably agree that this beer's most important quality is its availability. I love that you can get it all over the country, and it shows up all the time in crappy bars where I'd otherwise have to fall back on well drinks.

edit: trying to calibrate my scores, having trouble keeping it all internally consistent

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

pours up good looking golden brown, nice white head. definite hop spicyness in the nose. also some subtle malt. there's a little bit of citrusy hop smell too. also taste of hop bitterness for sure. pretty light bodied, medium carbo, easy drinking, great session pale.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Well I finally got around to this American classic. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great, above par in every category, but I couldn't drink more than a few of these. Can't really say anything about this that hasn't been said before, good for the style, but nothing to write home about. A must try for any connoisseur of the cold ones.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Orange colored with a slight head when poured into my glass. I like the smell of citrus and obvious hop action. the taste is just alright to me though, I like pales and ipa's for that matter but this one just didn't hit it home for me on taste. I feel like there was something off or just something in it that I didn't like. Anyways a good beer that I will drink again someday down the road.

A - Clear golden color with 2 finger of puffy white head that sticks around

S - Citrus (orange and lemon) and hopes. Almost a slight sweet caramel note

T - Crisp with some orange flavor plus lemon peel with floral and spice notes.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Pretty decent. Personally I found several other pales more drinkable but this is a good stand by and usually readily available.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.