Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Reviews: 2,926 | Ratings: 10,858
3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Looks decent enough in the glass a dark amber with a white head.

The smell is floral hops and grass.

Tastes is much the same as the smells. It's hopy with very slighty sweet finish.

The mouthfeel is light and well carbonated.

A decent beer at a decent price.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Upon realizing that out of the many beers I have rated, I have never looked critically upon the famed SNPA. So, picked up a bomber from the store around the corner.

A - Poured a good two fingers of frothy white head, the beer as it is poured looks like it is out of a beer commercial, lots of bubbles floating to the top, hazy straw color and the perfect mix of clear and watery.

S - Crisp slight hops, little else, very easy on the nose.

T - Very slight citrusy hops hit the tongue immediately. Not like the grapefruit type of citrus but more of a lemon/lime zest from the hops. It is followed quickly by malty sweetness, when you swallow another burst of the limey hops hit the tongue.

This is a real easy drinker and with its wide distribution it is a go to for when the options are this and BMC. If this is what defines and APA, I'm ok with it.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz bottle I got out of sixer that is available everywhere, sad that this is my first sixer of SNPA. I just never got around to it and was overly critical SN for quite a while.

A: Poured a golden almost amber color. Had a decent amount of carbonation activity. Poured a fluffy white head that was a bit suprising as it had good retention. Pretty good looking brew.

S: Smell is of pine, citrus hops and touch of sweetness coming from the malt.

T: Taste is also of a touch of pine, a good amount of hops (a bit more than I was expecting), and is rounded off with the sweetness of some good malt.

M: Light to medium in body, good carbonation for the style. The slight creaminess of this brew really allows some sticky hops to hang around. Pretty crisp and refreshing.

D: Really good brew for a majorly produced micro. It really does deliver and really impressed me for the amount of beer they pump out. Sierra Nevada is about 10 bucks a sixer here and I tend to stay away from it because I can get some good brews for about 2 bucks less around here. Sill this is a good beer and my opinions are changing.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1 12 ounce bottle followed a couple of weeks later by a 26 ounce bottle. Poured into
a Spiegelau stemmed tulip glass. Have not had this beer in years (for no particular reason that I can recall) and was very pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. The smell was a bit "off" with respect to the 12 ounce, but there was no such problem with the large bottle. Really nice balance without the over-hopped quality I find with some APAs. No knocks. Could see this becoming an all year long staple for me.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

This beer is available all over the place, so that shows progress as a culture. It has a nice golden/orange color. The nose is a nice balance of hops and malts. Very clean smelling. There is little to no head, but I think the bartender poured it incorrectly. The beer has good carbonation. The hops selection gives the beer a good overall bitterness that combines well with the plentiful malts. This beer is quite consistent throughout and is quite refreshing. Finishes clean and smooth.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Golden, Amber and some nice carbonation leaving a pretty foam lace

S: Not over powering but the cascade hop note is present and smells great

T: Balanced and smooth with enough of a hop character to really be enjoyable

M: Fresh and crisp it really hits the spot when you want to slam a few craft beers and go enjoy the great outdoors

O: This being one of my first reviews I had to do one of my old standbys you really cant go wrong with this beer.

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

Opened 12 oz bottle, poured into nonic glass.

Nice large foamy head of say 2". Dies down at a moderate pace to create a nice thin layer of foam across top of brew. Color is light amber, mostly clear with good bubbles in it.

Smell is very clean with some hops and slight citrus notes. Taste follows through with very clean crisp hoppy taste, although I don't detect citrus on my palate. Beer has a nice mouth feel and is very drinkable. I may have another before calling it an evening.

I'd been worried for sometime that Sierra Nevada was becoming to mainstream, but it appears that even though more mass markets are carrying their beer, they are still able to produce a quality product.

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

A- This one pours a hazy golden color with about 2 fingers worth of head. A bunch of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass.
S- The thing that jumps out at me is the zest of the ale. The smell of grapefruit is pretty predominant. Also a hint of yeast.
T- This is a pretty good example of a pale ale. Grapefruit can be picked out right away. There may also be some other fruit like orange in there and a hint of yeast.
M- Pretty good overall, a nice medium body with a good amount of carbonation and a little bit of bite from the perceived grapefruit.
D- I could have a few of these but I think after that my taste buds would be a little worn out.

3.67/5  rDev -9.4%

AP: This is a very good pale ale. Amber in color. Almost no head to speak of. Even with an aggressive pour this was no lacing to speak of.

Smell: Orange pulp and hops

Taste: This beer is one big hop bomb with a hint of orange peel. This is a very complex beer.

Mouth Feel: Very smooth. A bit watery but nothing to complain about.

Drinkability: Nice starter beer.

Notes: I heard a lot of good things about this beer so I went and picked up a 12 pack. Boy am I glad I did.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours orange/amber- nice clarity - with a creamy, lasting head that leaves rings of lacing down the glass.

It has a floral/citrusy aroma.

The taste is of mild citrus - lemon and orange - with a sweet malt balance. The hop bitterness has an edge over the sweetness, but is fairly well-controlled, as per the style. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied.

It's a nice brew, but nothing special. A decent choice when the other choices are mostly macros. This is an easy-drinking APA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'm sorry to all the fans of this brew but I find it overated. I just don't buy it Prefer the smoother british beers. As for American Ales, I'll take Anderson Valley and North Coast. I realize I had underated this brew quite seriously. While I have upped it's numbers I still feel it is a vastly overated beer. I'll jump over this beer to get at Bear Republic, North Coast, and English ale without hesitation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- light rust colored translucent body with bubbles everywhere. Beautiful creamy white head with great retention.

S- light pine hops

T- Pine hops upfront and and remain until the aftertaste. Clean finish with some sweet malt remaining.

M- high carbonation and medium weight body. Goes down pretty easy.

D- This is really drinkable and I'm glad I had it. I will have it again.

3.66/5  rDev -9.6%

Appearance: Turbid tan/yellow.

Smell: Very mild hoppy smell.

Taste: Moderate bitterness, well balanced. Aftertaste fades very quickly.

Mouthfeel: Light and very carbonated.

Overall: Good pale ale, especially if you don't tolerate much bitterness. Not my beer of choice (I prefer stronger), but a solid choice at open bars when my only other options are the standard lagers.

3.66/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a bottle with a light green label.

A: Honey in color with an ample head and some lacing.

S: Some hoppiness, but not a big aroma overall.

T: Citrus between grapefruit and orange. Big hop flavor with a clean finish.

M: Coating mouthfeel with a distinct carbonation presence.

D: Very drinkable. No problems there.

Overall: A nice APA. Clean and doesn't have too much of an overbearance of hops even though hops is the dominant presence in this beer.

3.66/5  rDev -9.6%

Took a few tries to get into this beer to be honest. Clear, light colored beer when poured out. Little head retention. Very citrusy in flavor. I am normally a fan of the grapefruit flavor in a beer but this beer was a bit too sour for my tastes. Aftertaste is a bit too unpleasant. I really liked the bottle condition aspect here. It really helps this beer stick out and be unique. Had very high expectations for this one but it didn't impress me much.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

It had been awhile since I had drank this beer so I had a pint the other night,pours a hazy deep orange with a pretty nice sticky head.The aroma is definently zesty hoppy and a little piney.Taste to me might be a little over the top hopwise very citruisy and dry,pretty good beer but would like a little more balance to this beer.It is a hop head classic though.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a pale amber color with a small white head that dissapates quickly. Smell is floral, piney hops with a grainy malt background. Taste is very similar to the smell with a floral and resiny hops taste that gives way to a grainy, bready malt flavor and ends in a dry, slightly bitter finish. Overall a pretty standard pale ale, but nonetheless an original as it was one of the first craft beers to become widely available.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

I usually pick this up in bulk at Costco or Sam's Club. I just realized I have never done a review for it so I decided I would do one.

Appearance- amber color, thin head

Smell- First thing to hit was the malt then I got some piney hops.

Taste- subtle hop flavor, some malt

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This is a very good pale ale. It is Sierra Nevada's flagship beer and probably the beer I drink the most because I buy it in bulk. I always have a case of it at my house. Highly recommended

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Slightly hazed orange in color with copper hues. Dense white head pours two fingers thick. Good retention. Thin sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

S: Citrus juice. Citric and pine hops. Bread. Caramel malts.

T: The taste of grapefruit and a hint of apple are followed by citric and pine hops that give off a pleasent bitter bite. Sweet balancing malts chime in with a bread like flavor. Touch of grain is followed by a soft citrus presence and the beer finishes slightly dry.

M: Crisp and refreshing. Medium carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: A session beer all the way. Nothing over the top crazy and that is what makes it good. Worth a try.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Sampled at the Sophisticated Otter in Johnson City, TN, my SNPA came out a clear slightly reddish gold under a very thin white head that lingered well and left very good lace. Subdued flowery hops greet the nose, while the mouth is met by a very pricky medium-bodied sensation. Smooth malt contends with distinctive flowery hoppiness right from the start, with the hops winning out in the end. There's a very nice bite in the finish, followed by a good lingering bitterness. There's a reason why this is a solid stand-by brew. Can't go wrong here.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

*Before I start, I want to warn that I usually drink wheat beers and therefore am VERY sensitive to hop smells and flavors!

Hard-poured a nice copper with a four-finger head which dissipated to a lasting cap w/ very nice lacing.

Smell was all floral citrusy hops, which always reminds me of the bergamot in Earl Grey tea.

Taste has a nice hop bite with a clean finish. All I can taste is hops, but the bitterness gets less noticable as you go. Very citrusy and floral. This reminds me a lot of Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale. Probably very typical of the style. The taste lingers, but not in a bad way.

Good mouthfeel, though not nearly as "chewy" as my favorite style which is German hefeweizen.

Very drinkable in spite of the higher ABV. Once I get adjusted to the big hop flavor after a few swallows I can drink 'em pretty easily.

Overall, a very good,easily found brew. I've tried to be kind because I'm just not used to drinking "hoppy" beer but am trying to expand my horizons. I can see where the hopheads would like this one!

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

11/01/04- Purchased at the local grocery store.

Appearance- Pours with a nice head with little puffy circles as the head dies away. Surprisingly decent lacing also.

Smell- Scent of hefty malt with a equally hefty amount of hops. Definite woody and floral scents.

Taste- Pretty much the perfect combo of malt and hops. A nice citrus tang to it. Maybe some apricot in there that goes well with a hoppy malt flavor.

Mouthfeel- Goes down nicely. Great level of carbonation. Slides down the throat with ease.

Drinkability- For some reason I get worn out on this beer when I drink it too often. For me it's maybe a 12 pack a year. A great pale ale, but one to be consumed only on occasion for me. A good pick though.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A – A crystal clear golden yellow with a two finger white head that disappears very quickly. Head has kind of a “dish soap” appearance. Decent clumpy lacing.

S – Strong aroma of extremely floral, piney hops.

T – Tastes like it smells; piney and floral. Slight citrus twang in the middle. Not dank or earthy at all. Grassy. Airy. While the hop character is indeed tasty, ultimately it’s almost all this beer has. Not much in the way of balance. Finishes extremely clean.

M – Nice carbonation for the style, but ultimately the beer is pretty thin and even a little watery. From the taste I would guess this comes from a complete absence of malt. (Ok, just kidding, I’m sure it has malt, but you can’t really taste, smell, or feel it. Just sayin’)

O – While the comments above would suggest I didn’t like this beer, I've drank a lot of these in my day. This is an absolute perfect beer for a 118 degree Arizona day, and I feel I could easily down an entire bottle without stopping. Also, would make a great “transition beer” from adjunct beers as this one has good flavor but it’s presentation and profile is so mild I couldn’t see it scaring anyone away from craft beer.

(As a side note, I somehow I remember this tasting much more "full" on tap)

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

A bronzy color to this one. It left little or no head. the smell was somewhat sweet at first but became super hoppy.
This was an interesting beer. I found it to be rather meaty, if that is a word to describe beer. But I was sort of overwelmed. This is not normally like me. I can drink the hoppy brews with the best of them. I did like pale ale. It is something I will drink again, but I can't make this a daily drink. I'm a wierdo and a hippy.

On draft

Pale yellow with off white head

Tastes of pine, hop, malt

Gentle carbonation, but not too strong

Smelled great, and the hop smell is just excellent. Overall, this is a solid beer. I would not commit to a sixer, but I'd have again.

Note: Felt a little flat, but didn't effect taste.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.