Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,847 | Hads: 10,361
3.25/5  rDev -20%

There was a time when this beer was one of my favorites. I thought it had great body, plenty of hops, and wonderful drinkability.
Not the case any more. What happened to this once great brew?
Appearance is still fine, deep golden color, respectable head with fair lacing. Smell of hops is much fainter than I remember, with no discernable direction. Taste is nothing special. Malty, but not too much & not too fresh tasting. Hops have no cajones. This is SN's #1 brand & it is simply average. Now, I don't know if the offerings from DogfishHead & Bell's have raised the bar beyond the reach of SN Pale Ale, or if SN changed it on us, but it does not seem nearly as special as it once did. I still love the Celebration Ale from SN. (732 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20%

I grabbed this with huge expectations. I heard all this wonderful stuff but I was sorely dissapointed. It doesn't have a lot of character. It's rather run-of-the-mill. The exception being it didn't leave any aftertaste so it was readily drinkable with a meal. I feel like I should be at a farm when I have any pale. (315 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -20%

Nice white head, with an amber orange color.

Pleasant orange, grapefruit, pineapple and water melon aromas, perfect matching to the color of the beer.

A hoppy freshness in it, grassy and lime undertones. Floral hop aromas of orange, lime and grapefruits, followed by a decent, slightly underwhelming bitterness. Malt character is present but gently hiding behind the hops, adding a necessary body to the beer. Watery ending with only small hints of hops, which lingers long on the tongue. Carbonation adding a freshness to the beer, without being too present, well balanced. This ale does deliver as being an every-day IPA, without trying to offend in any way, by being to extreme on any of its ingredients. (710 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -19.5%

Had in bottle, and maybe it's just me, but it was much more bitter than I expected. The bite didn't seem to be as balanced as others here have mentioned. I tried three to be sure but on my palate it was less than satisfactory. Pours great, looks great, but reminds me too much of Heineken. Maybe I got a bad batch? Would try again or maybe I can find it on draft to be sure. (374 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed this today at Traxx bar in Penn Station after a day of hanging out in the city and watching my girlfriend run the NYC marathon. We had a few minutes before catching the train back to suburbia and her brother was buying so I figured I'd give this original microbrewer a shot.
This pale ale features an attractive golden/copper color and only a trace of head. The nose is very mild, with hints of hops and a fresh characteristic but mostly a mystery.
The flavor is full bodied and rolls nicely across the tongue. It's not bad at all but not very special either. It's hoppy and crisp and tasty but still tastes somewhat generic. The taste is also marred by far too much carbonation in the mouthfeel.
This is not a bad beer, but for the price and the brewer's reputation I'd like to see a more individual taste. I hate to to mention it but I wonder if Sierra Nevada is still at the top of their game.. (911 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Was pleasantly surprised to see this on-tap at Union Hall in Brooklyn. The appearance is a dark amber with a foamy, off-white head. Fair amount of lacing on the glass. Not really much to the smell besides the hint of hops; the taste was slighly malty and a bit bitter. Pale ales are not my favorite, but this one was enjoyable. Not sure if I'd want to drink more than one or two of these at one time, but it is an enjoyable brew if you are a fan of the bitter ones. (465 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

This is another one of those beers we've all had a million times, but never think of reviewing. I rarely even order it anymore, I guess I had my fill of it in college.

It pours out a clear, pale amber color with a medium sized head of off white that had medium retention and laces nicely.

The aroma is kind of sweet and doughy, not really as I remember it. There's a slight undertone of floral and piney hops. I think perhaps this is an old keg, or from unclean tap lines.

The flavor is very similar to the nose. Bready malts and rather bland, unpronounced hop flavors. I know that this beer is better than this, it must be an old keg.

The body is light to medium with moderate carbonation and a muted floral hop finish.

I remember there was a time when the sight of the green SNPA tap handle at a pub was enough to excite me, I guess those days are long past. I'll choose to remember this beer from past experiences, which were always good. This is one of the beers that has lead us ALL down the path of beer rightiousness. Although our palates have grown, we should all give this beer it's due and proper. (1,124 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Finishing this beer as I type this. It poured into my glass a golden orangish color, with considerable head and a decent lace. I've seen this beer hyped up on this website and finally bought a six pack. This first beer I really enjoyed, but maybe it was all mental due to the hype. After finishing the 6 pack, I'm really not all that impressed. This plenty other beers I would buy over this. Although, I am interested in the other offerings Sierra Nevada has to offer. (468 characters)

On-tap and bottled

Appearance: Pale straw-yellow with a beautiful chill haze, decent lacing all the way down

Smell: Bitter hops, citrus, and grain

Taste: Bitter hops with a touch of bready malts and minerals. Not a good hoppy bitterness but a different, harsh bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Could use more malt.

Drinkability: A tad on the bitter side for me, not sure why as it doesn't seem to be the hops. (404 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured an amber color with little off white head.
The carbonation was a little less than expected
Smelled of caramel and slight citrus.
Slight citrus taste along with a bit of malt, malty as it goes down.
This ale has a good feel to it and is a nice way to start a dreary evening. It's not the greatest, but its not bad in anyway. More of just lacking the "wow" quality. (374 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a crystal-clear golden, liquid gold, with a beaty of a creamy white head that retains very well.

Aroma is of pale malts, hop spiciness, hay, grains, very earthy.

Taste is of light malts and hops. Very smooth and crisp.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated.

Extremely drinkable. As said, very smooth and extra crisp. Great summer day beer. (367 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19%

Obviously, an archetype for most APA's.
Pours a yeast-filled golden amber. Thinnish white head with some stick.
Nose is inviting with floral and citric notes. Malt is noticed with some faintly carmel/bready aromas.
Hops jump forward in the taste dept. But not in a huge way. Maltiness provides some support by adding bready and biscuity hues along with some faint nondescript sweetness. Yeast pops ups here and there with some unwelcome mustiness.
Decent in the mouth. Creamy, and smooth. Medium bodied.
A good standby, as it is available almost everywhere. But there are much better APAs out there. (617 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19%

Pours a macro-like yellow. Head appears creamy and very light. Carbonation light to none. Above average but not spectacular lacing.

Mouthfeel is sticky, hoppy, somewhat sugary, but very metallic and granular near the end. I've never gotten that from this beer before, and I've had a few in my day. Somewhat rice-y in front, but smooth.

Taste includes bitterness, a hint of hops, grapefruit, and some of both green apple and melon. Pungent kick near the end of each swallow of alcohol. Rather nice but needs either mellowing or less light when stored.

This beer is all over the place today. Creamy but grainy, flavorful but plain, smooth but cloying. Maybe this is a bad one, but there's some saving grace due to it being a style that can handle adversity--it does. (774 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -19%

A) Nice golden color, small consistent stream of bubbles.

S) Very mild orange citrus aroma

T) Mild taste, consitent, without a bite, mild lingering bitter.

M) The body is right for a pale ale clean, mild, refreshing, bubbles not overly busy or persitent, allow big sips.

To me a stronger presence than Traditional English Pale Ales, so as a representation of the style I like it. The body fits, but the flavor leaves me wanting more depth, drinkable, but not overly enthused about the next mouthful. (503 characters)

Ontap at United Airlines lounge at SFO Terminal 3
appearance - beautiful golden brown
Smell - pleasant citrus smell
taste - grapefruit, not much hops
mouthfeel - sits on your tongue
overall - if you like grapefruit, you'll love this. Overall I'm not a fan because there isn't much hops. (personal preference) (308 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep amber orange color. A small white head forms and leaves little lace.
S: Floral hops and grapefruit. Some citrus and piney aroma as well.
T: Bitter grapefruit up front. Some floral hops and citrus fruit again. Not a lot of malt for balance.
M/D: A medium body that has a crisp snap on the tongue. A nice creaminess follows. For me, the bitterness takes away from the drinkability. Not something I want to session.

I do enjoy this beer, I just think it is over rated a bit. Lots of bitter grapefruit and not much malt balance. If that is your thing, then its all good. Its not mine. Though I would not hesitate to drink this as a fall back when nothing else good was around. (690 characters)

Reviewed 8/20/2008 (Draft @ Sherlock's, Bay Area, Houston, TX):

Pours a reddish, golden body. Whitish head, good lacing but not very lasting, and small. Hoppy malty aromaj some gaapefruit. Somewhat bitter on the front, malty on the aftertaste. Not very nutty Flattish. Okay, not as tasty or hoppy as the bottle. (312 characters)

A - Looks good

S - Smells good

T - Okay. Hop presence is definitely there, but not overly so.

M - Okay.

D - Not something I'll have every day, but the not bad for a pale ale. Wanted to try this since it got such a high average review on here, but not a beer I'll keep stocked in the beer fridge. (300 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -18.5%

Overall this beer had a lot of pop to it. It was kinda fizzy to me but it had a good hoppiness to it and it was a little less pale than other "pale" ales. I'm not sure if I could drink a lot of these but I think it's damn good beer. Maybe if the taste wasn't as strong on the hops I'd like it better. (300 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -18.5%

A: [4.00] Looks like a Pale Ale should. Nice muted golden color. Forms 1 finger of white head. The head is tiny and tight on the sides but more fluffy and bubbly on top. The bottle lists the ABV (5.6%) and the packaged date 11/12/14.

S: [3.00] Mild malt smells. Nothing very prominent in the nose.

T: [3.25] The flavor is very neutral. A very mild bitter up front then a slight malt finish.

M: [3.50] Carbonation and mouth feel are right for the style.

O: [3.50] This is a beer you could transition someone from BMC to craft with. It has a mild taste but is slightly more complex with a little more bitter bite than a standard AAL. Most of the Sierra Nevada stuff I try I really love. This I only like. I just feel the beer is too neutral - no risks. No malty backbone. Barely above BMC. (805 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%

i used to really like sierra nevada. it's still a good beer, no doubt. but either i've been drinking hoppier beers or it's less hoppy than i thought.

i had a bomber last night and followed it with an ipswich ipa (which may be unfair as it's my current favorite). the sierra just didn't stan up to the ipswich in any way. i kinda thought maybe i had a bad bottle. (there wasn't any way to tell how old it was, but i assume it was fresh as there's a lot of turnover for sierra, i would think).

it just tasted lightweight. (521 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18%

nice light amber color with a thick golden white head that doesn't dissolve too quickly; very smooth; a good IPA rone that has the bitter taste that usually is associated with the IPA without leaving a bad aftertaste in the mouth; actually a little bit of a tart taste too which i almost want to say is a hint of lemon or at least taste's like it; actually has a lot of citrusy undertones in general; a pretty good beer that i would definitely recommend especially if you enjoy IPAs (482 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Blue Star Brewery Pint glass.

A: Poured a nice 1/2 fingered creamy head. Poured a delicious looking amber with some additional Selective yellow.

S: Pleasant hops with a nice grapefruit citrus.

T: Nice hops come through and bite at the end in a pleasant manner. Malts come in quite nice balancing the drink.

M: The carbonation is extremely active and the body feels a but thin though. The lasting lace creates a nice creaminess feel as well.

O: This is a nice solid APA, but nothing spectacular. The taste is simply not as bold as I would like. This could easily beer a session beer. (621 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured "allegedly" from a bottle into a flulip from some fancy Italian eatery.

A: Pours a vigorous 3 finger fluffy fine white head with great retention. This one hung on for dear life till the very end... Brew itself is clear golden. Lacing is weblike and ample and really covered the entire side of the glass.

S: Nose is light peach, spice, grapefruit and tangerine, hops. A slight piney character is also detectable.

T: Starts off rather watery with a light malt backbone the crescendos into a strong hoppiness. Malts fade into the background but is still detectable. Both flavors fade gradually without ceremony, leaving a hoppy aftertaste. Slight citrus throughout. This beer has a split personality. Malts and hops very clean, and very distinct.

M: Light bodied and believe it or not, flat as a pancake. Finishes wet and lingers with hoppiness that really never goes away.

D: Drinkable because of the light bodied and enjoyable because of the simplicity. However, nothing to really think about here and therefore, not as enjoyable as it could be for me. (1,068 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.7%

1-Jan-2009 Nordstrom Cafe, Short Pump, VA

Served with a glass... nice touch. Poured golden, small bubbles throughout. Smelled slightly "off" but this could be environment. Flavor was not as intense as I recall but carried a nice, pleasant hop bitterness... otherwise balanced. Drank cleanly & easily; nice compliment for turkey sandwich. (338 characters)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.