Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a light golden color with great clarity and moderate carbonation. The head is not particularly impressive, a little thin.

A fairly weak odor, wet grains with a distinctive floral hop flavor. More subtle than I would expect.

The taste is far richer with an initial sweetness that yields to complex hopes and finishes with bitter hops. Well balanced with a good initial bite that finishes smoothly.

The mouthfeel is smooth with nice carbonation.

I can see having a few and in the past have.

It may just be the familiar nature of the beer but it seems better than the scores I've given its components would suggest.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

I had this beer from a bottle and on-tap.

A-Copper and dark orange hue with slight light brown. Medium-high carbonation, very refreshing. White-tan head and creamy lacy sides around the glass.

S-Fresh hops, caramel, a little malty, sweet and citrus. Notes of pine.

T-Sweet and citrus going in. Aftertaste is dry and slightly bitter. Notes of hops, grapefruit, and caramel linger on the palate.

M-Carbonation is moderate. A little wet, which provides this brew with the refreshing quality it holds on a consistent basis. Lovely aftertaste.

O-This is a great beer to have on tap, from a bottle, in a glass, now in a can. I have not tried it from a can yet, but I will soon. This was one of the first brews that introduced me to the microbeer world years ago. It complements any type of food you want! Drink it! Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Gold, good carbonation bubbles, ok head.

Smell: Piney, citrus.

Taste: Nicely balanced between caramel sweetness and piney/citrus bitterness.

Drinkability: I could have a few in a sitting.

Finally got around to reviewing SNPA. I don't drink it much since we have a good local APA in Summit but the 6er was on sale so I picked up some. Nicely balanced, nothing too exciting these days, but would have been amazing 20+ years ago.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

I finally got to it! This is my 100th Beer Review!

Light golden but cloudy body. White fluffy head. Doesn't look too carbonated as there are sporadic slow moving bubbles. 4

A chalky metallic smell of hops upfront. A little sweet and bitter as well. With the first scent, I thought I smelled vanilla but that seem to have diminished. 4

A very crisp taste, a little bitter, some pine and citrus in the beginning winding down to a buttery biscuit like taste. Interesting taste for sure, not sure if I like it, though. 3.5

The mouth is okay, nothing fantastic. Slightly acidic. It goes down very easy. 3.5

Despite the uncertainty of truly liking the taste of the beer and the okay mouth feel, this is a very drinkable beer. It's crisp, light, refreshing and easy to go down. 4.5

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

One good Pale ..Poured a orange color with a finger-width, creamy white head that leaves lots of lacing as you drink. Scent is surprisingly not as hoppy as I would have thought. Lots of fruit and a woody/grassy aroma I couldn't place. Palate is crisp, clean and very dry. Not as hoppy as a lot of Pales and IPAs. You get a slight hop burn on the tongue, but it's balanced enough to let the grapefruit and spices come through.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Sierra Nevada has some very respectable beers that they produce and their Pale Ale is probably their most famous.

The appearance is a darkish amber with 2 fingers of foam that surprisingly stayed around for a while. The retention was lacking though maybe it was the pint glass I was using.

I definitely noticed pine and citrus aromas most likely from cascade hops. I definitely enjoyed the overall aroma of this beer.

Taste was what I expected, but I thought it was lacking in the hop bitterness category. I'm definitely a hop head so pleasing my hop craving is kinda hard to do. But it was overall a very enjoyable drinking beer.

An average Pale Ale I know there are better ones out there.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance: Copper colored, one finger of eggshell white head with a medium amount of lacing.

Smell: Fairly heavy on pine and hops. Underlying caramel malt backbone.l

T: Pine and citrus up front with a hint of malt, and a pleasant amount of hops at the finish. Classic taste, and still a solid APA.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Slightly-heavier-than-light body with nice carbonation. Drinkable beer that has more flavor than a lot of the crap you will find. This beer is a classic and one of the founding American craft beers.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Great beer, although I have to admit I expected a little more when I heard this was the prototypical APA. I guess I was expected the best APA ever, but I've had a few I liked better. Taste is nicely hopped, very full and complete. Citric hop tastes finish the sip appropriately. This is a perfect beer for slow sipping at a bar or at home, thankfully this is available almost everywhere. I have nothing more to add that hasn't been said numerous times already.

Highs: Clean hops flavor
Lows: None

I stumbled back onto this beer by accident at a bar where I was trying some different beers. I had forgotten if I had tried it before, and was glad to get reacquainted with this excellent ale.

From the bottle, pours a red-orange/amber color with a copious foamy light tan head. Head fades at a moderate pace down to a thin sheet: good retention, and good lacing here. Nose is marked by a definite hops presence as well as some fruity—apples and grapes, maybe. Taste is solid hops all the way back, bold, but not overdone or over-bitter. Mouth is watery but substantial; pretty decent. Finish is again hops with a light bitterness. Drinkability is good if you apprecate a hopsy ale.

Overall: A decent hopsy ale, recommended.

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: golden orange with 2 finger white head that dissipates fast.

Smell: citrus, hops,

Taste: citrus, hops, caramel malts,

Mouthfeel: Dry bitter, mild carbonation, clean, crisp

Drinkability: very nice pale ale. I think this could be a game changer for the non craft beer drinkers.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Sam Adams glass, developed a nice off white head which dissipated surprisingly quickly and had only some lacing. Appearance was a light amber with a slight haze. Aroma was light and of malt and grain. Taste had hints of caramel, grain and a sweetness on the finish. Mouthfeel was very full and nice with a clean, slightly sweet aftertaste.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

friday night sierra tasting craft beer outlet ne philly, the hop flavor just popped, so i finally sat down and tried this, new cans, just one. easily best in class of the pales ive had.

pretty amber beer, good head, retension, lace. fresh hoppy aroma and taste, nice pale malt background. finish is clean and dry, balanced, refreshing, very smooth and drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Definitely a nice surprise, I had a feeling this ale would be good but not this good! Pours a nice copper color with decent creamy head and an abundance of lacing. The aroma is highly hopped with a nice malt scent. Mouthfeel is thick and filling with an unbelievably smooth crisp finish. The flavor is the perfect balance of bittering hops and malts for a pale ale. This is a great standard for the pale ale style and an exceptional example.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured clear orange-copper with 1 cm white crown. Good lacing.

Smells of citrus, red licorice, and dry cereal (think Cheerios).

The mouthfeel is crisp, with good carbonation.

The taste is hoppy and floral, with a nice malty sweetness, grapefruit, and a slight sourness. The aftertaste is nicely sour and bitter. A good brew.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

A great beer because a good amount of bars, even ones that aren't into craft brews, carry it at least in bottle if not on tap. A stand by.

Poured from a tap into a pint glass its a nice evenly colored beer with a good head. The smell is of citrus and slight pine, the taste is flowery with a finish of minor hops. A beer that goes down well and also is a nice spacer in between some big IPAs.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

6 pack for $6.99 at the local gas station. A golden amber color with a thick foamy head. smells of hops and some citrus. Very nice lacing throughout the glass. aste is very complex with some bittering, but not extremly hoppy. You don't realize how strong this beer is until you've had 2-3. I've been drinking this beer for years, but finally decided to review it. SN Pale Ale is usually the go to beer when I go to said gas station. The only other good beer they offer is Bridgeport Hop Czar.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

I have drank these for many years and have now just gotten around to actually reviewing one. So lets begin.

A: Poured a clear dull orange color with an off white head. A perfect pour lead to a very nice and not too foamy head.

S: Not much in the ways of smell, a few hoppy citrusy notes but nothing to brag about.

T: A nice orange and malty taste. The almost bread like quality comes through in the middle followed with lemon like bitterness aftertaste.

M:Nice and smooth. Definitely good enough to keep you drinking.

D: A very nice beer and something you could start someone down the path to good beer with. Not all that expensive either. Me however, I would rather be drinking Great Lakes burning river if I'm looking for a well priced pale ale.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from bottle into glass with a great 1 1/2 inch head (a great pour if I can congratulate myself for a second) with a nice golden yellow color with a slight amber hue to it. A really perfect color, what a beer should look like. The smell was slightly citrus, but mostly of the hop and malt combination. The taste would be just as you would imagine from its scent, mostly the great combination of the malt and hops, with some bitter citrus to it. This leaves the most prominent element to the aftertaste- bitter, but in the good way, lingering on the tongue. As I continued the head disapated to a quater inch head leaving some lacing as it went. A decent amount of carbonation, not enough to take away from the taste, and also a good mouthfeel to it, not watery at all.

Overall, I think this would be a great beer to drink as an all around refreshing beer. Pleanty of taste to keep you drinking, with a good amount of carbonation and a crisp taste to the finish. A wonderful pale ale.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

Having finished my Old Chicago World Beer Tour, I decided I was now to the point where I was going to drink beer I liked for the most part, and not be too adventurous. Sadly, I didn't take any notes so I have to rely on my feeble memory!

After having one of my favorite local beers, Millstream Schild Brau (Amber Ale), I decided I wanted something with some hoppy kick to it and saw the SNPA on tap. Boy, I got what I asked for and more! You can't ask for more hop flavor out of a "all year" beer, I mean there was not too much subtley to describe, just knock you on your ass hop clean and fresh hop flavor.1 This beer goes down easy and has a nice head for the style, great lacing. I have no idea why people would drink something like Bud (which laughably touts its high quality hops in their commercials) when stuff like this is available nationally. This will definitely be my "go to" beer when I want something hoppy, though usually I like something a little mellower in this area. Great beer though.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

Beer is a copper color with plenty of fluffy white head. Excellent lacing and clarity. Smells of earthy, piney hops, a bit of a malt background but not much. Taste is again hoppy, some light citrus taste too it with a bit of a grainy finish. Beer is very smooth and pretty light-bodied with not a ton of carbonation. A very tasty brew and one that I could drink for awhile.

3.86/5  rDev -4.2%

had my fifth SN pale ale tonight thought id have another for reviewing purposes and same as always it goes down very smooth very clean light hops aroma with a piney finish taste. even though i love this beer i do think its an extremely drinkable all around beer just a bit hyped maybe?

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.