Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,171 | Reviews: 2,938
4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Nose is malty and a bit yeasty with some nice floral hops coming through. Pours a wonderful amber with a medium white foamy head. Aroma and appearance combine to make this a most enticing libation. First sip starts with some pleasant sweet maltiness and finishes with enough lingering hop spicy bitterness to balance it out. Medium to full bodied for a pale ale and coats the mouth nicely. This is a very enjoyable beer and I'm glad it's becoming so widely available.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

I tend to like hoppy beers as opposed to less hoppy beers so this is a great example of what a pale ale should be. It is pale; actually a light to medium amber color. It has a perfect hop aroma and taste balance. One can definitely feel the small bite of the hop bitterness which i absolutely love. A very drinkable beer anytime of the year and on any occasion. I personally prefer drinking this beer with a bacon chesse chicken sandwich and fries while watching any kind of sporting event, preferable college football. A great beer to keep in the fridge all the time (which is what I do).

4.23/5  rDev +5%

Back again with another classic.

Back when I knew not much about good beer, drinking this was like getting a slap in the face. Drinking my first IPA, that was like getting punched in the face. This beer was a gentle slap to the cheek.

Instantly, when you take the first sip of this beer, you will notice flavor. A bitter, acidic citrusy, fruit punchy flavor. It is hoppy, that's for damn sure. There is also an underlying, rich caramel note, to this beer. Finishes dry, with that lingering bitterness from the hops.

Appearance. Clear as the glass I'm drinking out of. Copper colored, with a head that refuses to die.

Mouthfeel, carbonation is a bit high, but acceptable. There is a slight bit of a syrupy feel, but overall this is pretty crisp.

One of my favorite beers of all time, it is so versatile, and pairs well with a wide variety of foods. Can be enjoyed by itself, either in a pub with a large crowd of people, or as an after work relaxant. The amount of hop bitterness turns off some people though.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a slightly hazed amber with a modest head that recedes to leave a nice lacing that lasts through the glass. Mild but slightly raw hop aroma. Flavor is highly hopped, floral with citric overtones. Hop bitterness is definitely up there, but a nice doughy malt backbone keeps it all together. Super smooth mouthfeel, and easily drinkable. Being one of the very few truly well known craft beers, it commands respect from American BAs.

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%

This is a simple, but good beer. There are no frills. The appearance (amber, medium head, a little lacing) is nothing special, and the smell is rather clean and slightly herbal. Hops are the focus here, and while the initial flavour may seem one dimensional, I have rarely found a better hop flavour (again it is very clean, herbal and fresh). The carbonation is good and the finish is pleasantly creamy with a hint of raisins coming through.

This is what run of the mill pale ales should be imitating. Good stuff!

4.15/5  rDev +3%

I say this is a good vacation beer, for it seems to be the one I order when on vacation, otherthan a brew-pub. Its SN most Available brew in locations that offer little micro offerings. Its nice to see thisone from time to time. Its 5.6% abv is nice for its higher than most macs, so one or two with a meal...hotel...next day, your ready to go.
The beer itself pours a nice orange/amber with an average, no fizz creamy head. Lace is an added touch.
The aroma is bold of floral, hoppy crispness to the nose. The taste again follows the path of the aroma as a crisp, citric hop jumps first (not over the top strong). A mild sugary caramel malt balances well as the mouth is teased with a mild alcohol feel.
Again, a good drinkable stand-by micro. Kinda like seeing a friendly face in a crowd of macro strangers.

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured a bright golden orange haze with a little white head that tended to cling to the glass. Smelled of very strong hops, some floral notes, and some citric scents aswell. Tasted nice creamy and smooth with a very mild malty crispness. I found it a little on the bitter hop side but in an enjoyable way. I really enjoyed this beer and ended up buy another round of it. So i would definatly reccomend this beer.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

I haven't reviewed this one yet? Anyway, always a very good choice, though it seems to be one of the more expensive beers in North Carolina at a typical grocery store. Nice copper colored, without too much hoppiness. No bad characteristics to speak of . . . I'll still pcik the Flying Dog Pale Ale for the price alone.

I do recall now having the Sierra Nevada comped on my stay at Bally's in Vegas, which was a plus.

3.83/5  rDev -5%

SNPA... Snuh Puhhh... In my experience, one of the most readily available brews to be found in bars outside of Bud Miller and Coors.
Quite the change up from the common three.
This actually has color, aroma, and quite a backbone when it comes to flavor. This one spits in the face of all that is typical macro flavor.
This brew has balls.
Big ones.
It's not afraid to jiggle them.
SNPA isn't my favorite beverage... the bitterness that lives there isn't for me. But I like knowing that it's out there.
Kind of like the drunken irishman that will beat the hell out of the frat boy that gets out of line.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this one on-tap at Stout in Manhattan.

My sample poured a deep orange, almost amber color. I always admired how Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was a little deeper and richer than most pale ales.

The aroma? Usually, it's pretty impressive. I don't know if this particular keg was old, but I had virtually no hop aroma in this one.

The taste was well-balanced, very dry in accordance with style. There are a significant amount of flavor hops to round out the bitterness in the aftertaste.

The beer was medium-bodied and drinkable, and altogether, an American classic.

3.29/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a macro-like yellow. Head appears creamy and very light. Carbonation light to none. Above average but not spectacular lacing.

Mouthfeel is sticky, hoppy, somewhat sugary, but very metallic and granular near the end. I've never gotten that from this beer before, and I've had a few in my day. Somewhat rice-y in front, but smooth.

Taste includes bitterness, a hint of hops, grapefruit, and some of both green apple and melon. Pungent kick near the end of each swallow of alcohol. Rather nice but needs either mellowing or less light when stored.

This beer is all over the place today. Creamy but grainy, flavorful but plain, smooth but cloying. Maybe this is a bad one, but there's some saving grace due to it being a style that can handle adversity--it does.

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

Looks good, with a nice solid amber coloration topped with a foamy snowcap of head. The head dissipates over time, leaving little lacing, but it seems to fit the characteristics of an APA pretty well.

Smell is quite distinct, so much so that I can almost use it to describe other things, "like a SNPA". Really pretty overwhelmed with hops, but unlike other heavily-hopped beers, it doesn't seem to be overdone or unpleasant. It's just, well, how a SNPA is supposed to smell. Pretty decent, although I find it a bit uncomplex.

Unfortunately, this beer tastes pretty much just as it smells, and while the simplicity and hoppiness of the aroma are nice, the same things in the taste seem overdone. It's nice that the beer is well-hopped and pretty balanced overall, but there are no other flavors that jump out at me at all, and the beer leaves a bitter aftertaste that I don't really find enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is moderate, with a nice foamy carbonation mixing with a watery consistency to make something reasonably unique. I goes down smooth, yet it coats the tongue quite nicely. Pretty decent.

I tend to associate this beer in my mind with Samuel Adams Boston Lager, and of the two, the SA is my favorite hands-down. I can see why this is so well-respected by BAs all over the world, and I enjoy one now and again, but this beer isn't anything really special, and I find myself satiated for it after just one.

I do find it better on-tap, though. I had one at Ted's Buffalo Grill in Nashville, and found the quality much-improved over the bottled variety. Unfortunately I've never found a place in Alabama that serves it on-tap, so I am unable to test this hypothesis in a reasonable manner.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

appearance: Golden-orange color with a small white head that quickly dissipates.

Smell: floral hops and citric as beer warmed a hint of grains appeared.

Hops very apparent at first with bitter taste. As beer began to warm a malty taste kicked in that balanced out the beer nicely. Medium body that goes down smooth. This is a very drinkable APA and one of my favorites that is readily available.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours yellow golden from a 24 fluid ounce bottle. Aroma is of piney hops with with some sweetness. Head develops into 1 head and then goes away within a minute or two. Sip reveals a piney hops flavor with some bitterness if held in the mouth for a while. Hops seems to dominate here. A very solid beer that you can find in many run of the mill places. Not citrusy hops flavor. Still a pale ale without running into the IPA category. Some slight sweetness too.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance is a cloudy orange with white foam and clinging lace. Aroma is floral hops, green leaves and lemon blossoms. There are some barley and malt notes, too. Initial taste caresses the tongue with silky smooth crackers and malt, balanced by dry hoppiness. Ethanol fumes work through the sweet grapefruit hops and brown sugar. Good beer!

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Solid american pale ale. Drinkability is high due to its unique flavor and aftertaste that keeps you coming back for more.

Color is an amber shade....head that retains for a few minutes. Tons of carbonation.

Smell is earthy with some charcoal and slight alcohol...

Taste is the best part of this beer, can get a bit musky, cardboard in the nose but the hops eventually kick its ass. I find this beer highly drinkable at 5.9%abv and a taste that doesnt make you want to switch beers...

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Transparent amber color. Plenty of carbonation. Light tan frothy head. Good retention and nice lacing that sticks lightly to the glass.

Smell: Citrusy oily hops. Sweet malt smell. Just Delicious.

Taste: Bitter, but in such a good way. The hops are very citrusy and good. The malts balance this very well. Overall it is a very fruity sweet and great pale ale.

Mouthfeel: Clean Refreshing and Light.

Drinkability: I love drinking this beer. It has never failed me. A great standard for the American Pale Ale. It is a wonderful everyday beer for myself.

4.31/5  rDev +6.9%

wow. it's been a while since i had one of these and i forgot how much i liked them. a healthy 2 finger head that retains well. best i can describe the color is a hazy orangey gold. good lacing too. at first, the smell is primarily of hops and citrus, but as this delight warms a little, i pick up a toasted grain smell. the taste hits the tounge bitter and hoppy but finishes with a nice and balanced sweet malt flavor. this is the kind of beer to buy by the case. i have yet to meet someone who doesn't like this beer. (except my girlfriend who says all beer tastes the same) some of the other sierra nevada stuff is a little hoppy for my liking, but this one is scrumtrulecently balanced.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was a 12oz. bottle from my dad. The bottle says bottle conditioned. Also, 5Q49A12:53 is stamped on the bottle. How about a frickin' date!!

Pours a very slightly hazy (chill haze, yeast?) gold with orange tints. One finger off white head of creamy foam, which drops to about 1/2 finger and stays for most of the beer. Strong carbonation evident, almost appears effervescent. Lacing all the way down the glass.

Aroma is of lemons, grapefruit, and tangerines, followed by a slightly bready, pleasant pale malt smell; maybe a little yeast in there. Some caramel smell there as well. The aroma lasts for the whole beer. Impressive!

The first flavor to hit is a very smooth sweetness, quickly followed by a good dose of bitterness. Then lemons and grapefruit, fresh and tart. Really well balanced APA. Nothing huge or anything, but seems right on style. Backing up all this hop character is a perfect malt base. It's bitter and hop flavored, but the pale malt really comes through, balancing it nicely.

The mouthfeel is just so smooth it seems weird. When I poured it, the carbonation looked out of whack, but it's surprisingly soft. A little sweet, a little bitter, with a long finish in the back of your throat.

As APA's go, this has to be one of the best out there. Assertive, but not IPA-like, 5.6% ABV, a great representation of the style.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Golden with a tinge of amber. Hoppy aromas of grass and mild citrus. Some grainy malt flavors combine with notes of citrus hops and white grape skin. Assertive, but not overpowering black peppery bitterness. Not watery, but surprisingly muted. This would probably make a good session beer, but I've had a few more interesting APAs than this one.

4.21/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My 1st review on BA. I recently ditched the world of macros and entered the world of crafts and micros. SNPA was one of the 1st beers I tried, and my 1st APA. The 1st 6 pack I drank was an enlightening experience.

The first taste I took I was almost floored by how much hoppiness and general flavor this beer had. A tad overwhelming at first (to a macro-head, which is what I was). By the 3rd one, I began to LOVE this beer. When the 6 was gone, I drove back to the store at mach 3 to pick up a 12 pack (and was glad and surprised SN makes a 12 pack of this. Thumbs up for that.) This beer opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Nice hoppy, piney taste, with a citrusy kick. The 1st taste is a nice kick in the taste buds, but it quickly fades into a nice dry finish that makes me want to take another sip right away. I liken the taste to "drinking a pinecone". I think I started my internship of "hophead in training" with this one. I never knew I liked hoppy beer, but apparantly, I do. As I try more APAs, I will instinctly use this one to judge others against.

Great taste, HIGH drinkability, decent ABV, widespread availability and reasonable sticker price make this one a winner on all fronts.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

Nice copper to amber color, very clear with a thick off-white head. It had an aroma of grapefruit rind (very pronounced), and a more subtle hop flower and grass aroma backed by mild caramel on the finish. The taste has the citrus/hop up front with the hop flower coming across subtly. The caramel is very light on the finish. Very smooth, and light mouth feel, very drinkable. This is another beer that began the journey for me to advocacy. It will always be a standard I measure other APAs against.

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured a nice golden hue, small head that had almost no retention.

Smell: Very floral aromas, also hops, orange, and bubblegum. Very nice.

Taste: Some very delicate hops flavor, but no hops bitterness. Touch of diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. Very refreshing.

Drinkability: Very smooth and easy to drink. I can't wait to have a few of these on my porch on a nice day.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Executive Review: Ahhh...SNPA. Always good to see this on the list at most of the "boring" bars and restaurants I visit. Clean, hoppy taste and wonderful aroma makes this a great choice almost any time.

Appearance: Crisp, clear amber. Nice pale ale.

Smell: Certainly not hiding the hops here.

Taste: A solid example of an APA. Slight citrusy sweet taste up front, followed by a great hop bitterness on the way back.

Mouthfeel: Good. Nothing remarkable here. Light and clean.

Drinkability: Fantastic session beer here. I like to factor cost into the drinkability equation sometimes, and SNPA comes out a winner for that reason alone.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

I love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It was the first craft brew I ever had, at the tender age of 16. At the time it was a bit much, but I liked it. It took me a few years before I really discovered the style. Its still good, fortunately (8 years later), and more readily available. This is my benchmark for American Pale Ales, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.