Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 9,890 | Reviews: 2,859

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: This beer was an amber-orange color with a white, rough head. Not much lace left on the glass.

Smell: Oh, yeah. This is what a Pale Ale is supposed to smell like. There was a big hops aroma, balanced with fruit, some malt, and a bread-like smell.

Mouthfeel: Great mouthfeel for a pale ale. This brew had a medium body and was very smooth.

Taste: A great hops bitterness, balanced by lightly roasted malts. Occasionally, a little sweetness shines through. The finish drys out but the hops flavor just lingers and lingers . . . Not overly complex, but still very tasty.

This is a great, highly drinkable pale. You fill your glass and the next thing you know . . . POOF! It's gone. One of my favorites in the style.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

My first taste of Sierra Nevada.

Open bottle smells like delicious honey.

A- Already noticed how beautiful it was as I poured. A mix of copper and gold with some pretty big bubbles rising. Thick white head recedes but leaves great amounts of marbled lacing.

S- Smells extremely fresh and hoppy yet it doesn't really smell like fresh hops. Or maybe I just haven't had the chance to smell the very hops they've used. Some of the best grassy hops I've had the chance to smell yet. Piney and a bit woody. Malt seems to soften up the whole thing. Don't know what else tosay. It smells really goodand I can't wait to taste it. Warmer now and the honey comes out.

T- The smell led me on to think this would be sweeter. It really isn't. A lot less going on than in the smell. Piney overall and wood finish. Didn't blow me away but I'm sure I'd be very happy to always have this on hand. It's a simple yet very interesting taste.

M- Medium carbonation. Very smooth and slightly higher than medium mouthfeel. Good balance in the mouthfeel.

D- High. Cold enough, you can easily drink this all day.

A great, considerably bitter, beer that I have a hard time imagining you'd get tired of.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz bottle with no freshness date.
Poured a deep gold to copper color with a two inch off-white head which dissipated leaving some lacing
Noticeable northwest, piney hop smell with some bready aromas.
The citrusy hop flavor attacks the palate with a slight caramel malt flavor close behind. I have enjoyed this beer numerous times and find that the flavors are subtly different each time. Becauset this beer is available nationwide, including grocery stores, I believe I have purchased a six pack that was probably past its prime, This made the malt flavor more prominent as the hops dulled from age. Of course, I have always been satisfied with this ale, though I would like to taste the pale ale at its feshest.
Highly drinkable and could easily be a session beer even at the 5.6 % ABV.

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a light orange color with a 2 finger head that hangs in through half of my SNPA trip and leaves a lace all the way down. Smells of hops and a light woody smell that gets your mouth watering. The taste is initially crisp with a taste of bread and tons of hops that is characteristic of S.N. It has a light bodied mouthfeel and this is a beer that I could drink a few of these bad boys. Cheers!

4.51/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I cant believe its taken me this long to review this beer. One of my all-time favorites. I just absolutely love this brew. Also, one of the few brews that introduced me to the craft beer level.

Pours a hazy orange/amber in color with a nice head that sticks around as long as I could possibly want it to.

The nose is absolutely bursting of floral and citrus hops. Smells scrumptious and delicious. Just a beautiful smelling hoppy ale.

The taste is marvelous. If I had my eyes closed, I'd believe there was 1/2 a grapefruit sitting in the bottom of the glass. The excited citrus hop flavors graciously slide down the hatch. This one tastes almost rough and rugged at first swig, but after the first few sips, it eases up on you and becomes quite drinkable.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with perfect carbonation. Maybe even a touch bigger than medium-bodied.

Drinkability is great too. It gets mellower and mellower the more you drink.

Plain and simply a true american classic, and one of my favorites. If you havent tried it yet, I dont know what the hell you're waiting for!

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale....old faithful!! Picked up a 12 pk today at an outrageously low price. Happy Memorial Day!!
The Pale Ale pours out a deep honey gold color. A 1" head formed and sank to a small white cap that rode the beer most of the way down. Light lacing left on the glass.
The nose of this beer is a nice citric hop with a little pine/spruce.
The flavor is dominated by a nice hop twang. A little citrusy, lemon/grapefruit. Very clean and easy to drink, the 12pk may not last long. Nice carbonation on the tongue and also a crisp mouthfeel.
This is a standard among American Pale Ales and I always enjoy it. In fact I have not had a bad Sierra Nevada brew. If you haven't had it , have it. If you haven't had it in a while, go get some. Good session stuff!

4.64/5  rDev +15.1%

Light orange appearance with a white head. Good amount of lacing. Smells of flowery hops, citrus, and yeast. Taste is bitter at first, then rather sweet, and again, citrusy--much like grapefruit. Mouthfeel is crisp, rather carbonated at first taste. This is a very drinkable APA. I've been drinking it for years and it's consistently great. This is just about the best APA out there in my estimation.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.