Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,876 | Hads: 10,531
3.55/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark caramel in appearance almost orangish red. Very light carbonation with a minimal yeasty aftertaste. Definitely has nice aromatics, very thick head. Minimal lacing on this beer. Head had a little bit of clumping. Found this beer to be surprisingly mellow.

3.69/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sierra Nevada - Pale Ale. 5.6% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into snifter.

Look: Translucent golden color, with white lacing present.

Smell: Smells of fresh tropical fruit, hops, and pine.

Feel: Smooth and carbonated, balanced out.

Taste: Just like fresh tropical fruits, with some wheat and hop flavors throughout, and counteract each other nicely. The aftertaste is grainy, and reminded me of saltine crackers.

Overall: My first American Pale Ale style of beer. I usually stay away from IPA's, because of the high bitterness, but decided to try this, to get introduced into the style of bitter beers. I was pleased by how it wasn't overly bitter, and how the ingredients weren't covered by it. I did enjoy it, and am eager to try some more of the same style. Recommend to those who wish to get into IPA's, but don't want an extremely bitter beer.

3.97/5  rDev -2%

Served on tap. Medium amber color, head quickly disappeared. No lacing on the glass. Smelled slightly malty to me. Taste was very good. I liked the bite on the tip on my tongue, and very nice bitterness on the back. Kinda like grapefruit. Very ful feeling in my mouth. Great drinkability! I'll buy again.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

I liked this beer when I first started exploring more exotic beers, and I'm never disappointed when I return to it. The price, availability, and complexity (almost perfumy) aspects are a win-win combination and help to explain why it has steadily been growing in marketshare. It is the quintissential citrucy APA that all must be compared to. My overall favorite every day beer, although Dale's is starting to give it some competition.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours dark golden/amber color. Thick off-white head stays and holds well.
S: Smells of sweet malt and fragrant hops
T: A nice balance between the sweet malt and the bitterness of the hops. Tasted hints of citrus hops as well.
M: Medium body with a perfect amount of carbonation.
D: An excellent APA that I will definitely buy again.

One of the standard bearers of the craft beer movement, Sierra Nevada is a solid Pale Ale that is always enjoyable.

Appearance: Excellent amber color and head that retains well while leaving a nice lacing down the side of your glass.

Smell: Do I detect some cascade hops? (Intentional understatement) There's also an unappreciated malt aroma to this beer, picking up a lot of caramel malts on this one.

Taste: Quite good. The malts don't quite stand up to the hopiness, but it's not overwhelming. It has a good, clean finish, too.

Mouthfeel: No aftertaste, washes clean over the palate and nice heavy, but not too heavy carbonation.

Drinkability: If you have too many of these, it sits like a rock in your digestive tract. However, it's dry profile lets it go well with many foods and it's always fun to enjoy one or two during a ballgame.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%

A - a pale golden color, with a tint of orange. has a thin white head that clings to the glass

S - fresh pine, citrus and floral. bitter hops and sweet malt

T - crisp hoppy bite just like the smell, refreshing

M - sharp hop presence with a med carbonation and body

D - great drinkable allround american pale ale

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Dark orange/yellow color. One finger white head.

S- Pine, some citrus. Hops evident. Perhaps a grassy touch, earthy even.

T- Nice balance of malts and hops. Bitter and sweet at the same time. Very nice.

M- Carbonation and the bitterness of the hops is an enjoyable experience. Feels light, but substantial enough for the style.

D- Very drinkable. The right mix of hops and malt, allowing many of these to be put away in a single sitting.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: a nice rustic gold, light pour very slight head that dissipates quickly but the carbonation forces a continual layer. Very clear, but not as light colored as I as expecting.

Smell: swirled in the glass, noticeable florals, and well pronounced hops, a bit of sweetness with a very light malt. This is a very good smelling brew that stings the nostrils slightly, a well balanced aroma with little to no astringency.

Taste: mild bitterness from beginning to end, but nothing offensive. You can taste the hops flowery taste, but the bitterness is about the only consistent taste. The taste is not overly complex, but still enough to keep your tongue working throughout each mouthful.

Mouthfeel: light bodied dry brew that leaves your mouth very clean. The carbonation is apparent, but it's not so heavy that you end up with puffy cheeks when rolling the brew on your tongue. The feel is quite refreshing, with no alcohol burn.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, not a heavy brew, refreshing. I could imagine drinking this around a campfire or while watching a football game.

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%

appearance: light amber hues, orangy in light, large head, some lacing

smell: cascade, pac-northwest style, floral, slightly fruity, slight toast

taste: pine, very floral, citrus, grapefruit, slightly bitter but balanced, fast, clean, estery

mouthfeel: carbonated, slightly foamy, medium filling, hidden alcohol, hearty

overall: refreshing summer beer, great citrus hops balanced

Appearance - Beautiful, deep amber color, pours a nice head, with good retention and an off-white color. Lacing lasts a long time.
S - Very prominent hops smell, citrusy. There's a nice balance between that and sweet caramel malt.
T - Delivers on what the nose promises. Hoppy, with lots of citrus, and a very nice malt taste to balance it.
M - Very nice carbonation, right where it needs to be.
O - Sure, other's might do it better, but this is still a classic, very drinkable, and an example of what a pale ale should be.

3.4/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The pale ale I grew up with. It always reminds me of Mom.
This is a classic to me. It is the benchmark of American Pale Ales. It's not outstanding compared to some of it's successors, but over the past 30-some years it remains good. A pioneer of the American microbrew. If you've never had one, this is where the magic began. Have one just to pay homage to our microbrew forebarers.

4.21/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Poured into a Pint Defiance tulip. Body is clear amber, just a smidgen of a head around the tulip's rim.

S: Sweet candied orange rind, biscuits, spicy cascade hops, and toasty malts.

T: Hop spiciness, orange rind, some mild grapefruit bitterness, and toasted malt. Well balanced.

F: Light bodied, smooth, medium carbonation.

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

A: Pure copper, burnished like fine cookware, nearly transparent in its glassy clarity. On top of this, a full two-finger head, foamy and creamy in appearance. (Note: Every SN I've ever poured has been perfectly clear, in spite of the label's warning that you might see some yeast from the bottle conditioning in your glass. I'd love to see some yeast in there.)
S: The nose: Sweet mist rising from rain-splashed stone. Seriously. The hops' pine and ctirus notes are squarely in the background, lurking like a distant fog. The overall impression is one of mineral purity.
T: The suprisingly thin head, lightly flavored, tastes pleasantly of sour yeast. The beer proper boasts a bitter front and lingering sour back in perfect balance; as the latter fades from the palate, it complements the hop attack of the former. The finish is mineral-dry initially, but as the beer warms, the dryness of the finish becomes reminiscent of a sourdough roll. Nice transition. Furthermore, the beer yields underlying apple notes as it warms. No real sweetness, but allusions to sweetness in every swallow. It's subtle and complex.
M: The thin head disappoints; it appears creamier than it is. The tingle of carbonation is bracing but not overwhelming; it doesn't burn with the first swallow, and it mellows agreeably as the beer warms. Don't let it sit too long, though; when the beer gets too warm, the last couple of swallows are stripped of good flavor and feel almost tepid on the palate. That's just nit-picking, though. This is an exquisitely crafted brew.
D: I could drink this all day.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

This is a great beer...it is good on draft or in the bottle. It is better cold. It loses some of its kick when it gets warmer. I can really taste the hoppy flavor come through in the draft. It has a citrus flavor that blends to a barky/nutty taste. Try it on draft!

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

When I was in highschool I usually only drank the usual macros. Then I bought a few of these in a concert parking lot.This is pretty much the first good beer I began drinking on a regular basis. It is still my go to beer if I go to a store and they don't have a very good selection.

Good taste, color, smell and I could and have drank these all day long.

3.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. This isn't what I usually drink, but I saw it in the grocery store and it made me thirsty, so I figured why not. I've had it before, though I didn't appreciate it then.

The appearance is a toasted golden color, with a very thin head. It has a bready pine scent that is pleasing, but subtle.

This beer is pretty damn tasty. While I'm not usually a fan of highly hopped beers, I enjoyed this one. It does have a fairly high bitterness, but its not unpleasant, and the hops give a nice pine, woody flavor, but doesn't become overpowering. I could see this beer being perfect for a camping or canoe trip.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Balanced, balanced, balanced...

A: This beer has a beautiful golden amber. The head is about a finger and a half that dies down to what looks like a crashed wave that sits beautifully on top of the brew.

S: Hops & fruit. Citrus. Faint malt.

T: What a refreshment. Sierra's trademark hoppiness definitely resonates in this beer as does some citric acid. Doesn't linger around a whole lot, and finishes crisp.

M: Medium, carbonation has an opening strength that backs off slowly and pleasantly.

D: Perhaps the scariest part of this beer, a sessionable for sure and one I would never turn down. This beer always makes its way to my fridge.

-It was the brew that got me into any and all craft brews. A great, great beer that deserves all of the acclaim it has received. If you want to try to get a friend off of Coors, Bud, or Miller serve one of these quaffable beauties.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

A: nice golden color with thick foam and lots of lacing

S: the aroma of this beer wasn't anything special, but I wasn't expecting much for a pale ale that uses the basic ingredients

T: this beer claims to use the finest malted barley and hops to give it its crisp light hoppy flavor; it definitely proves its claim when the beer hits your taste buds

M: not sure if their "fresh seal cap" had anything to do with this, but the carbonation and freshness of this beer was excellent

O: Sierra Nevada is one of my go to beers when I'm not looking to spend too much. This beer doesn't try to be something it isn't... make sure to look at the date if you're buying a 12 or 24 pack; the fresher the better

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

I like the dark red/orange red color to it. The floral white head seems to be a little lacy.
The slight aroma leaves me wanting a little more. Feel is good and has a little tangy taste to it. I believe this is a good beer to have stocked in the home bar. I would defiantly buy again.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

SNPA smells of citric hops. Taste is pretty hop-forward with citrus and pine. Not much detected from the malts. Bitter on the end. Mouthfeel is medium for the style and ABV, pretty highly carbonated. Drinkability is good. Not too bitter or having any other characteristic(s) that would prevent more consumption.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

I'm new to this so bear with me, I am not yet able to identify specific flavors.

A - 1 Finger of foam, and a beautiful gold color.

S - A sweet hoppy smell

T - Very balanced and a perfect amount of hoppy flavor.

M - Crisp and lighter than I expected

D - I could drink a bunch of them and I will considering it was on sale for $12 for a 12 pack.

3.47/5  rDev -14.3%

A- Sightly washed out bright yellow-brown, a finger of head that quickly disperses into a lace then only memory of the head at first pour.

S- Smells of hooped out alcohol and the rushing river flowing out of the Sierra Nevada's, just kidding about the last part. But seriously, at first I can smell dank hoop buds, but thats quickly is taken a back.

T- I wish this tasted like overwhelming dank buds, however very refreshing. It reminds me of someone deluding a great beer for a gag. Ah sigh... Maybe, if it was reduced in a pan we might have some complex flavors. The flavor is there, but I can barely find it.

M- At first sip, the pearloge is unsteady with medium carbonation. Easily aerated into a thick head in my mouth that lingers for only seconds. I might just prefer to enjoy it this way from now on, aerateing it I mean.

D- I could drink this in a pinch or out of convince, purely out of convince, this is a large supply in my basement.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

From Bottle to glass
Looks like a deep golden straw. the head is very light if not white colored but has very even consistency that hangs around for a decent amount of time.
Smells slightly grassy and clean, hints of citrus fruit.
Tastes Very similar to smell, grassy lean and quite crisp. The overall taste is just very natural. light citrus. decent aftertaste (Almost seems to cleanse the palate)
Feel has the perfect amount of carbonation for this beer, crisp and has a great ease about it. light to medium bodied.

Pretty much this beer is Classy. Please try it if you haven't yet. you might finish it quicker then you think. I could drink this nonstop.

My go to beer when a local craft IPA or Pale Ale is not on tap. Hoppy without being overly so. Smooth with just a hint of an aftertaste. The aroma is just like I always thought a proper beer would smell like. Certainly the best mass marketed Pale Ale this side of 30 West.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.