Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.95/5  rDev -27%

CraftFan5, Jan 30, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

Had this the other night for the first time in a long while. One of the first craft beers I ever tried a few years ago.

Pours a rich golden color that leaves a white head for a short time.

Smell is floral and some fruit

Taste is a nice blend of bitter with the bite of strong hops. Very rich in flavor.

Leaves a nice carbonated feeling on the tongue. I enjoy this beer.

Smooth pale ale, that can be enjoyed over the evening in several bottles.

genog, May 24, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +14.6%

22oz bottle 20 oz glass 2 oz. poured after first sip

Decent white head on a clear amber beer with bubbles continuously flowing to the top.
Hops dominate smell, but some malt sweetness is there as well.
Taste is exactly what I love in a pale ale: plenty of hops and yet a good malt body. Mouthfeel is lighter than the eastcoast (dogfish) stuff that I'm used to, but I still love this beer. Drinkability is great due to the lighter mouthfeel. This beer is the trademark entry into craft brewed beer. Sierra Nevada has yet to upset me.

rtratzlaff, Jul 17, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle in sam adams glass

A: Crystal clear, dark golden color. Thin white head with a little lace.
S: Citrus hops dominate, there is a hint of pine in the background
T: Sharp hop bitterness, definitely a pale ale. The hops aren't obviously cascades, mostly just bitter. A little caramel sweetness to help balance things out.
M: More carbonation than I remembered, right on the edge (but not over) of too much. Crisp but not watery. A roundness on the tongue, mouth filling, tongue coating. Surprised that there is not more of a head given the mouthfeel.
D: It had been a while since I had had one of these. A great pale ale, but not as great as I remembered. I think that this is a perfect beer for a 4th of July picnic or a baseball game. Highly drinkable, well worth seeking out.

wspscott, Aug 12, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

Brown120, Dec 11, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

AaronBurr, Jan 01, 2012

Snuck a bottle of this into a sixpack. (How criminal). Nice golden color with good carbonation, hence a great head. Crisp and clean, with a good mix of hops and malts. The pale "dry" taste comes through with each sip. Definitely a good beer.

bewareOFpenguin, Mar 06, 2003
4.95/5  rDev +22.5%

I cant believe its taken me this long to review this beer. One of my all-time favorites. I just absolutely love this brew. Also, one of the few brews that introduced me to the craft beer level.

Pours a hazy orange/amber in color with a nice head that sticks around as long as I could possibly want it to.

The nose is absolutely bursting of floral and citrus hops. Smells scrumptious and delicious. Just a beautiful smelling hoppy ale.

The taste is marvelous. If I had my eyes closed, I'd believe there was 1/2 a grapefruit sitting in the bottom of the glass. The excited citrus hop flavors graciously slide down the hatch. This one tastes almost rough and rugged at first swig, but after the first few sips, it eases up on you and becomes quite drinkable.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with perfect carbonation. Maybe even a touch bigger than medium-bodied.

Drinkability is great too. It gets mellower and mellower the more you drink.

Plain and simply a true american classic, and one of my favorites. If you havent tried it yet, I dont know what the hell you're waiting for!

jasonpeckins32, Dec 28, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Clear golden to orange-amber with a 2 finger whitish head that settles rather quickly leaving a ring around the glass and a smattering of lacing ,

Light spice and grassiness of hops with a bit of citrus in the aroma with some rich malt in the background.

I noticed some light sweetness and plenty of tart citrus upfront. The rising bitterness, however, will not be outdone. Light toasted malt in the end.

A bit on the light side of medium bodied. Almost fizzy at times and drying on the tongue with a burn in the throat.

I first tried this beer a few years ago, but it was skunked, in fact I had a string of skunked SN brews. Last week I bought it again, deciding to give it another chance. Saturday, I drank 3 of them, and though it wasn't skunked, I wasn't impressed. An off bitterness, and not much else. Perhaps my taste was off, because tonight, I finally see what everyone is talking about. A well-rounded, full-flavored brew. A greatt summer ale. I'll definitely buy this again.

obywan59, Sep 05, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

A- Slight chill haze in the golden body. Thin white head sticks well to the sides.

S- Some sweet malt undertones with some grassy, citric hop aromas on top.

T- Semi sweet, bready malt base holds everything together. Grassy and citrus notes from the hops jump in on the malt base. Finish is a touch dry with a some final sweet citrus coming in.

M- Smooth feel with a crisp finish and good carbonation level.

D- Really great session beer; goes down smooth and crisp. Would recommend this one for sure.

TommyW, May 26, 2009

roodie, Jul 12, 2013

Michigan, Mar 21, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

The beer that essentially led me here. SNPA is perhaps my all-time favorite old standby, and for good reason... I just don't know why it's taken me so long to review it. The pour is a light copper with a nice sized bubbly off-white head. The smell is great and features lots of hops, citrus and some yeasty notes. The taste is huge on the hops at first, especially for an APA. This beer is fairly carbonated for the style, and it shows in the mouthfeel, which is rather prickly. To me, this is a very easy drinker and is the trendsetter in the APA style.

Jon, Sep 22, 2002

Time to review a classic:

Appearance - An light orangish-copper color. A pretty decent inch of chunky head that laces the top nicely.

Smell - Lots of grapefruit. Very strong citrus with a little hop kicker.

Taste - Lots of grapefruit up-front, with some hop bitterness coming in on the follow. The finish is fairly dry.

Mouthfeel - A nice balanced body. Not too thin, nice carbonation. It's a good, very crisp.

Drinkability - Pretty decent, although it's kind of hard to drink too much with all the citrus followed by the hop bitterness.

A classic of the style. Sometimes I forget how good these old reliables really are.

callmescraps, Dec 15, 2008

Pug, Mar 01, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

cwreay90, Nov 29, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

My last of the "Sierra Nevadathon" Ive had this beer plenty of times but never reviewed it.

Orangish body with a thick pillowly white head.Nice lacing is left after the head falls down.It looks like more of a IPA then a APA.Small mosels of carbonation.

Cascade smell (very fruity and citrusy)

Bittering taste then some malt.Piney hops with some dank hop taste in the aftertaste.Bready like malts and some tea like hops also.

Mouthfeel is good and easy going.I like it,its the easiest out of the SN familly.

I can remember buying a case of this stuff a year and some change ago and being very overwhelmed by the bitterness.Now it is a shadow of its self in my eyes.See what time does?This is a beer that I would drink if there wasnt any other type of craft beer there.Not because it sucks but just because its not moving me anymore.There are plenty of hoppier beers out there that overpower this.I dont know how to say that without dogging the beer.

MmmIPA, Sep 23, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

I've been drinking SN Pale Ale for as long as I've been drinking craft beer, but had never reviewed it....until now.

On tap at Old Ebbit Grill in Washington, DC.

Pours a golden orange amber. Very clear. About a finger and a half of nice, white head. Pleasing head retention and lacing throughout the pint.

Smell is strong with floral hops and some grainy malt sweetness. Nice smelling pint.

Taste follows suit. I picked up lots of floral hops, some grapefruit and perhaps a little peach as well. There is just enough malt, slightly bready, to balance out each sip.

Mouthfeel is very smooth. Carbonation is on the light side, bit doesn't disrupt the overall taste of the beer.

SN Pale Ale is one of the classic of American craft brewing. These days, it's probably overshadowed by bigger, bolder beers. But, if you're looking for a well-made craft beer that has withstood the test of time, this is one to seek out.

pburland23, May 29, 2011

troegaarden, Feb 03, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

jmmy3, Dec 25, 2012

mrosenfeld32, Feb 05, 2013

visualmartyr, Apr 27, 2014
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.