Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,862 | Hads: 10,438
4.17/5  rDev +3%

Appearance - Pours a nice golden yellow with an inch and 1/4 head. Looks tasty.

Smell - Very sweet and citrusy.

taste - Has an immediate sweet taste, with a flowery and citrusy after taste.

Overall this is a very drinkable, yet flavorful beer. It didn't blow me away, but it may just make my top 15 or so. Only time will tell.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Has to be one of my favoret pale ale's I have ever drank. The taste is great you could really taste the hopps and taste so good nice and cold. This makes me want to go to 7/11 and buy a 6 pack lol. There's nothing like drinking a Sierra Nevada in a open glass just go pick on up you'll end up really liking them.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: Light head, a little lacing. Cloudy light amber body.

S: Orange, citrus.

T: Malt and orange up front with hops, spicy finish.

M: Nice carbonation, full bodied taste.

O: Very good APA, will never turn one down.

Six Pack Pier LQ

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

If you're in need of a delicious beer that will rock your socks but not your wallet, Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale should be your beer of choice. It is the American Pale Ale in its near-perfect form. My favorite beer to bring to parties.

A- Quintessential golden amber with a beautiful head

S- Very floral and slightly citrus

T- Very smooth and not too hoppy. Enough hops to make you realize it is a pale ale but not too much to make it bitter. There is a certain sweetness behind the hops that just pulls the overall taste together beautifully. Absolutely delicious.

M- A nice crispness and carbonation

D- Very drinkable, especially in the summer. It always seems to leave me feeling refreshed but then reels me back in for a sip seconds later.

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%

My first beer review.

Serving type - 12oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours an orange-golden color with a fluffly, off-white, roughly one-inch head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S - The nose is dominated by bold, crisp, citrusy hops. A hint of floral and sweet scents are present as well.

T - The first sip is like a sucker punch of sharp, bitter hoppy glory. Lots of citrusy and floral hop flavor. There is a bit of caramel malty sweetness. Some hints of biscuit and earthy flavors as well. The flavor tends to sweeten and mellow as you drink.

M - Light body with moderate carbonation. The hops leave a lasting refreshing impression on the palate.

D - Good drinkability; this is an excellent session beer. This is overall the best pale ale I've had by far. I'll definitely be drinking it again.

A wonderful Pale Ale that hits the spot in every way. This one deserves to be in everyone's fridge.

A: A nice dark copper color with a nice, thick and creamy head that stays with you to the end.

S: A subtle hop smell that allows you to smell the sweet malt profile.

T: A very nice balance of hops and malt flavors. A ry nice sweet flavor that allows just the right amount of bitterness to come through.

M: Excellent carbonation with a slight hop bite. So very balanced.

O: Excellent beer. It has a great balance of malt and hops, and it allows you to just sit back and enjoy it.

Being a hop head, you wouldn't think this would be up my alley, but I do concede to perfect flavor when it warrants it. And this one does just that.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

Apperance was as expected, with a thin head that kept as the beer disappeared. Color was a wee bit hazy straw yellow. Nice legs on the way down the glass. More sediment than expected from a big brewery, but I dont mind.

Smell: tones of grass, yeast, and a faint bit of rust.

Taste was impressively hoppy for a pale ale. Tasted a lot like an IPA with citrus, pine notes. Begining flaver had notes of graham cracker, the middle got grasssy, with a grapefruit finish. Malt was a bit thin, but the hop finish was delightful. The bitterness fades to a tinny aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was a bit big for an ale of this style. Plenty of little bubbles to punch the tongue.

Overall this beer is a solid one to buy when the selection is limited, and if you want to pair with nice hot sandwich. More like an IPA in my opinion. 24 0z. a serving is just right.

2.3/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I've seen this bottle coming in many pubs in London so I decided to try it. Looks great, shinny orange, nice bubbles. The taste is very strong, really bitter but fresh, fruity, there is ginger everywhere, smells acid, mouthtaste stays for few seconds. It took me long to finish the glass, not very used to this kind of flavor but was ok.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

I struggle to rate this beer. If you go purely by taste.. then you basically have a showcase for cascade hops, which craft drinkers are familiar with and by now may find dull. But I can't drink it and not appreciate the contribution to craft beer history and the rise of good beer in America. This beer is a classic. I also give it points for being so highly available.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into Bloomington Brewing Company stange glass from a 12 oz. bottle from a fresh winter variety pack. Bottled on 9/1/14 which is about as fresh as I have ever had it. It pours clear with an orangish tinge probably due to the caramel malts. Had a decent head that quickly dissipated.

The smell is predominantly earthy hops with a distinct Cascade flavor showing through. I wouldn't really describe this beer as cirtrusy, but it has maybe a touch of grapefruit showing through.

The flavor is very balanced with malts at first, then a grapefruity finish afterwards. It is quite good, and it seems like a very modern sort of beer. Amazing that this was brewed in 1980.

This has changed my outlook on this beer. I drank a 12 pack of cans of this and was not impressed. It's either the freshness or the bottles that make this beer really shine. It is excellent, and it is a testament to how prevalent craft beer is becoming that I can buy this at my local grocery store for nearly the same price I would spend to buy Miller Lite.

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%

I will be honest, I can't tell the difference between this and Goose's "Honkers Ale". Smell (to me) is faint, I don't smell much. Color is clear light copper, no head to speak of. Taste has a touch of citrus, slight malt and a dry finish. Has a bit of a kick to it. Overall, a very good beer, one that I am really enjoying. I will buy again!

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

This is one of the few beers I drink that has a screw-on cap. It took me a while ot notice that. Go figure.

Sierra Nevada makes some of the best mass market beers you can buy, so my expectations were high. I was not disappointed. It poured a hazy golden orange, very appetizing color. The head was moderately thick, good for this style, and settled into a thin white cap and laced the glass pretty well. I lack the vocabulary to properly describe the aroma, but the hops became evident even before the first taste. It had a very grainy taste, heavy on the hop oil, which lingered on into the aftertaste. The hops are very prominent, a plus for me. It is still balanced, and washes down smoothly without leaving excess bitterness on the palate. Good mouthfeel, perfect for this kind of beer. About halfway through the frist glass, it becomes very drinkable. Definite candidate for a session beer, especially if you like the style (which I do).

Definitely recommended as an introduction to the American Pale Ales. Another widely available brew to fall back on as well.

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%

wow. it's been a while since i had one of these and i forgot how much i liked them. a healthy 2 finger head that retains well. best i can describe the color is a hazy orangey gold. good lacing too. at first, the smell is primarily of hops and citrus, but as this delight warms a little, i pick up a toasted grain smell. the taste hits the tounge bitter and hoppy but finishes with a nice and balanced sweet malt flavor. this is the kind of beer to buy by the case. i have yet to meet someone who doesn't like this beer. (except my girlfriend who says all beer tastes the same) some of the other sierra nevada stuff is a little hoppy for my liking, but this one is scrumtrulecently balanced.

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

I've had this one on several occasions. When I was first getting into beers i thought it tasted a little funny, but now that my taste for beer has matured quite a bit, this beer is great for me when I run out of Dogfish head and can't get to the one place that sells it in Albany. There are two bars so far that I know of in the Albany area that have this on tap. (I dont go bar hopping too much, stick to the usual place) My Place in Delmar and Hollywood down on Lark St in Albany. about $4 for a 16oz draft. On to the beer.

Appearance is a nice dark brown that when held to the light is more of a dark caramel. Depending on the bar tender you either get about 1 in head to almost no head. Out of the bottle about 1in with an average pour.

Smell- Some floral hops, not as strong as IPA but enough to know its going to taste great. Some malts and general pleasantries with this beer.

Taste- where to begin, a great almost sweet malt taste that makes the perfect transition to a slightly bitter hops. Mixed with wings and other typical bar foods, it can mix with other flavours to please your pallete. There are so many other flavours in here that i just can't pull out at the moment.

mouthfeel- when cold it has the perfect effect on your tounge, a perfect amount of carbonation, more than a usual IPA but less than a crappy macro. Good for drinking at a bar with freinds or for washing down a meal.

Drinkability- Definately my session beer at the bar. with 5.6 alcohol cont, it's rather high for a beer you can easily find in a grocery store. For a college party, get something cheaper, at 7-9 dollars around here it can be pricey for those of us in a pinch, but when i want something good and can't get my ass to the bev cent. This is my choice. Can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada!

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

This one pours a nice golden amber color with a decent head on it.

Without knowing the name of it, one might guess that this could be an IPA because of the strong hops smell. The scent also brings out citrus.

Tastes like a great Pale Ale, really hoppy, little carbonation. Crisp finish.

A great offering.

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Drank 2 bottles at Zendcon 2008.

Someone came from the free bar with one of these and I asked him how it was - he shook his head, "not so good, dude" - I saw him later enjoying a Corona.

This is really good - hints of many flavors, and a really slight bitterness, which I normally would not like - but it's almost nothing and disappears immediately.

I was eating various cheese cubes and mashed potatoes - but this would have been good on it's own I think - good beer.

4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

The appearance is clear and pale gold. When poured it has a nice creamy, long lasting head. The aroma is citrusy and piney. It also has some lingering herbal notes that add to the complexity. The mouthfeel is full, creamy and smooth. Hss great taste and easy drinkability.

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

On-Tap, Served in classic Bar Pint Glass.

A: Nice, thick, two-finger head. Red-Amber in color, with lots of carbonation. This beer looks magnificent in the light, even better in the sun.

S: Piney hops, and a tinge of some floral in there, pretty light aroma.

T: Piney and Citrus somewhat subtle hops with a nice malt balance. Very good balance of hop and malt.

M: Nice and carbonated. Just how a Pale Ale should be. Crisp Mouthfeel, Light to Medium Bodied. Drinkable? Yes.

O: Great craft beer that is readily available. Highly Recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite staples, even brewed a copy of this and it was great also(maybe a little better but just cause fresh and on tap).
Pours dark orange with 2 fingers of white head
smells fresh, with strong citrus hops Very nice
Tastes very crisp, lot of hops with some light citrus and pine
body is little thick, not too thin perfect
Over all a very drinkable beer

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a main stay for me.

appearance: Pale orangy (if that's a word) color. Nice head, Nice retention, average lacing

smell: citrisy pine. hint a lemon peel. Hops are definetly up front. Faint malt in the background.

taste: Hops a prevelent. Great citris characteristics. Slight bitterness in the finish that is attributed to those wonderful cascade hops. Very flavoful Pale Ale and well balanced

mouthfeel: light/medium bodied. Good carbination, smooth and clean in the finish.

drinkability: yes! Could stay with this all night.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%

this beer is a very clear golden orange color. the smell consists of fruit with a bit of a pine twist. the taste is great. it starts off very fruity with a hint of malts but mostly hops hops hops. i love it! the mouthfeel is smooth, lightly carbonated and a bit buttery. since it has a light alcohol rating a could drink a good amout of these before i get too buzzed

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've had the Pale Ale before this but time to sit down and really think about it.

Appearance - Light amber color with a very light haze of what appears to be carbonation bubbles. Light head formed, dissipating fairly quickly.

Smell - Hints of citrus fruit aroma with malt thrown in.

Taste - Really upfront fruit at the start followed by a mellower bitter taste and finally finishing with the fruit and malt.

Mouthfeel - very light, only coats the mouth for a second then goes away.

Having it again reminded me to keep having more, I have a hard time really finding anything wrong with it.

3.94/5  rDev -2.7%

Had one of these years ago in Reno straight out of the bottle. Tried another out of a pint beer glass. The head was just off white and about 1 finger with good lacing. I was surprised to see the beer was almost orange in color. The smell was very good with the hops and citrus coming through, tasted a lot like the smell, very good. Medium mouthfeel and drinkability was good, enjoyed this brew and will go for it again.
Went great with the burger....

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%

Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of this beer. I especially love it after having put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes before drinking it. If you haven't had this one ultra ice cold, you are missing out.

I like to drink SNPA right out of the has near perfect mouthfeel which I think can be attributed to the bottle conditioning. I feel like it loses something when you pour it into a glass.

Yes, as you've heard a thousand times before, this is the beer that got me, and almost everyone else into craft beer. So it holds a special place in my heart and fridge. Since I first tried SNPA many beers have came in went in my fridge yet SNPA remains eternal. It's hard to describe the taste except to say it's just straight goodness. To be a bit more specific, it's a little dry, a little floral, a little citrusy, a little bitter, and not very malty/sweet, but it has just enough of a malt backbone..exactly what an APA should be. There may be a handful of better APA's out there, but chances are you can only find them in like 3-5 states, or they're only availabe once a year when the moon is full, and jupiter and saturn have aligned. SNPA can be found at almost every single liquor/grocery store. Many times when I try a 6er of something new I wish I just bought the SNPA. Which is why before I venture out into the great unknown of craft beer, I make sure I have some SNPA in the fridge just in case the next beer is better suited for the bottom of my drain than the bottom of my stomach.

Also...the perfect beer for a BBQ.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle to a chilled glass.

A - Golden, slightly bronze color. Minimal lacing on the glass. Pours with a nice thick white head about three or four fingers. Once it settles, it leaves a nice thin white head. I noticed some small particles floating around after I poured, no big deal.

S - Very subtle scent on this beer. Slightly sweet with a hint of citrus. I also pick up a very subtle bready scent.

T - This is where this beer really shines. It is ever so slightly bitter, yet it yields a nice citrus flavor that covers the whole pallet. The bitterness really shines through just after you swallow the beer. It quickly fades and you find your mouth begging for another gulp. It really delivers in this category.

M - Medium bodied, perfect carbonation in my opinion.

O - I am pleasantly surprised by this beer. It is my first brew by Sierra Nevada and definitely not my last. At 5.6% ABV I could drink this beer all day. Easy beer to drink, but really delivers in the taste department. This is probably my favorite pale ale that I've tried. I definitely recommend picking this one up if you have the opportunity, no regrets on this one.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.