Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Pale AleSierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Alström Bros

alear, Dec 25, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

it poured a nice deep golden almost copper color, the head was about 3/4 of an inch but the head disapated quickly.

it had a slight hoppy aroma. upon drinking, it had a nice sweet bite and not much of an aftertaste in my opinion. overall pretty pleasant with a nice light body.

paulfear, Mar 15, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

What new can I say about one of the best pale ales on the market? Well not a whole lot. It pours a nice coppery reddish brown. Light lace hangs on for while. Good citrus hop flavor with a light malt for balance.
One of the best, well balanced, drinkable ales on the market. Perfect for getting that friend into craft beer.

jsawicki603, Aug 13, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

The first thing you get when opening a bottle of SN pale ale is a huge dose of cirtusy hoppy goodness. This is probably one of my favorite session beers. Has a nice pale amber color with a small whiteish head. Again, the smell is dominated by citrus. Taste is very refreshing and crisp with a strong hop dominance, but a nice malt backbone. Moth feel is slightly watery. Very drinkable. All in all, it is a great beer that you can find almost anywhere in my experience.

vdubmatt, Dec 19, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

A) Nice golden color, small consistent stream of bubbles.

S) Very mild orange citrus aroma

T) Mild taste, consitent, without a bite, mild lingering bitter.

M) The body is right for a pale ale clean, mild, refreshing, bubbles not overly busy or persitent, allow big sips.

To me a stronger presence than Traditional English Pale Ales, so as a representation of the style I like it. The body fits, but the flavor leaves me wanting more depth, drinkable, but not overly enthused about the next mouthful.

Tropicalslip, Mar 18, 2011
4.06/5  rDev +0.5%

Definitely a "starter beer" for anyone introducing themselves to the craft industry. Great flavor with the whole cone hops. You will taste a earthy piney, and grapefruit flavor from the hop combination. Pale Ale to me is great anytime of year.

apr3940, Jul 28, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

Aroma- grapefruit hop. slight maltiness reminds me of carmel corn. maybe a touch of DMS.

appearance- straw clear. low head retention. light head that clear to white. no lacing on glass.

flavor- light malt sweetness. strong american hop bitterness. balance definitely towards hops. after taste bitter. no warming from alcohol.

mouthfeel- high carbonation. light body. no warmth. no creaminess. slight carbonic bite due to high carbonation with little malt.

BrewBoone, Jan 06, 2009

lement92, Jun 17, 2014

allbeersgood, Mar 03, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

A - A nice orange amber hue, a little bit of cloudiness, a nice fluffy head.

S- Mild smell, the hops and citrusy flavors are apparent.

T- Citrusy and a good amount of hoppiness for a pale ale, comes off tasting a bit watery on some sips, still very flavorful.

M- Feels smooth in the mouth, the flavors seem to slide over the tongue.

D- Very good for a 2 bottle sitting, or if you pick up a large bottle. Not sure if it would be suitable for a session, can be a bit heavy after 24oz.

Overall this is a great beer, would defintely purchase again.

MattyDonny, Aug 04, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle pours a hazy amber with a thin head that dissipates fairly quickly and leave little to no lacing.

Smell is a bit weak, but has hints of hops and malt hidden behind a bready, yeasty smell.

Tastes malty at first, which gives way to the hops in the finish. has a sticky fizzy, tangy, finish which is surprising after the weaker nose. finishes smooth as hell and extremely drinkable. i could drink this all night.

A bit disappointing at first in smell and appearance, but taste, feel, and drinkability make this an all around decent beer.

gloobygloob, Nov 07, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +20%

I was a particpant in drug and alcohol study several years ago and the doctor, who was testing brain activity in drinkers after they smelled certain liquors, asked me what my favorite hard liquor was and what my favorite beer was. To the first I answered Makers Mark. To the second, I answered Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It took me two years to fully appreciate Sierra Nevada Pale Ale again after my two stints in an MRI chamber, smelling various things and thumbing a button whenever I did so.

Nevertheless, I thought then, and still think today, that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale represents the quintessence of American beer. It is, as far as I'm concerned, the beer that comes to mind when people say "beer."

A: Pours a bright,clear copper-orange with a full finger of tawny head which dimishes quickly to something less than 1/4 finger and then after the first drink disappears completely.

S: Wonderful aromatic citrusy and floral hops aroma arrives immediately and dominates the nose.

T: Hops and malt dance together here. Hops first as you take it in, probably a leftover from smelling them as you bring the glass to your mouth but then a mild malty sweetness. The leave has a touch of bitterness from the hops and the whole thing makes sense like an EB White essay that ends where it begins but you're better off for having read it.

M: I think the mouthfeel is soft, not creamy but full and sweet. I think it leans on the heavy side of light but because of the hop brightness the slight heaviness of the body is a perfect balance.

Overall: I can barely add to the introduction, this is American Pale Ale as far as I'm concerned and that makes it the Americeyness of all American beers. Superb always, all the time.

If I could improve this beer, and I wouldn't really try, I would like the head to last longer and lace better. I would prefer a more robust color. But, aren't those incredibly minor wishes? Taste, Aroma, Mouthfeel, that's where the action's at, and that's where this beer excels.

CSAsylum, Jun 27, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a glass mug. Developed a nice white head that went down to a creamy lace that sticks around. It has a clear honey like color. Smell is slightly citrusy with a little spice. Initial taste is citrus with good hops, turns into a nutty biscuity taste. The after taste is a bit of malt. Very well balanced. This one has high drinkability. Its February now, but I think this would make a great summer beer.

Iloverasputin, Feb 21, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

appearance: Pours a nice light orange color with medium transparency. A small half finger white head diminishes down to nearly nothing. Not a bad looking brew.

smell: Malts, hops, and some very vague citrus scents. The smell doesn't really stand out from others of this style, but it is good none the less. I can't wait to take a sip.

taste: Begins with a nice biscuity malt taste, moves to a nice bitter jolt from the hops, then finally a very smooth and crisp malt finish. This is a very delicious pale ale.

mouthfeel: On the fence between light and medium bodied with fairly low carbonation. The hops dry your mouth a bit but overall this brew goes down very smooth.

overall: This is an excellent pale ale with a good balance of hops and malts. It's a very smooth beer that would make for a great session beer. In fact, I think I'll have one right now.

lookitsmp, May 21, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +1%

This beer is my go to. It has a great taste and is easy to get anywhere for the reasonable price. I have had this on draught as well and its even better. If you are an ale fan this is one to try or retry. I would like to try and make my own personal brew similar to this one.

wrcraigl, Feb 25, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Sendji, May 25, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

This is a historic day as I am posting my first ever review on BA and I chose this beer because although I try new beers all the time Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is always in my fridge. Why? Because this beer has replaced Budweiser as my go to. I remember trying this beer about 20 years ago and thought it was horrible. My how the palate changes.

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Beautiful orange color with a nice fluffy head.

The smell is light and fruity with a nice hop aroma. Nothing knocking my socks off fragrance wise but smells of quality.

The taste is great and I like the balance of malt and hops. Again this beer tastes of quality and care in the brewing process.

The mouthfeel is great to me if a little light but that is one of the best features of this beer- drinkability! Perfect carbonation and ridiculously refreshing!

Overall I love this beer and for $12.99 a twelve it is a no brainer. If you are nervous about trying pales this one will win you over and get you started.

Lightbearer2012, Jul 12, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

S.N.P.A: My go to low abv summer day drinker. In my opinion this is the best representation of a basic pale ale. So consistent on the balanced hop flavor, mouthfeel crisp and refreshing, very drinkable and just plain delicious. SN has been the most consistent brewery from my experience in the profiles of their beers. SNPA is always a safe bet, and goes well with many types of food.

bkeach, Apr 19, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

LSUBeerGuy, Apr 25, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -23.3%

I haven't really had that many Pale Ales but this was a treat. i didn't happen to pour it into anything other then my mouth.

The smell was quite Ale-ish, i noted the smell of grapefruit rind among other citrus sents.

The taste was quite alright, had the bitterness for sure and the citrus i smelled came thru in the taste aswell. i dont really have too much to say about this beer other then it's good to try but nothing i would buy again and again.

Boozeisfood, Nov 16, 2011

AmIeviL, Feb 01, 2012

WSUBuckeye65, Nov 28, 2011

Latgitbsgf, Dec 07, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance: Crystal clear copper color with a white head that persisted for over 30 minutes.

Smell: Not much to the smell, slightly malty and citrusy

Taste: Citrusy, fruity, perfectly balanced with bitterness not overly sweet

Mouthfeel: Crisp and smooth, no astringency, or drying

Overall: Very drinkable, fantastic one of my favorites, a bit lacking in the aroma department

piakiev, Apr 06, 2012

vdsc, Jan 20, 2012
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.