Sierra Nevada Porter - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-09-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,408 | Hads: 3,491
4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

Paid $6.99 for a six pack...

This beer pours out a dark brown body with a medium sized, off-brownish head with very good retention and great lacing effects. The aroma is a bold shot of fresh roasted malt, this may be the best smelling porter I have ever had.

Don't let that great smell fool you, the taste of this is as good as the smell impeded... This roasted malt is a wonderful texture and it's not too heavy either. Good feeling in the mouth, not the best porter on the palette... pretty smooth and a little creamy. The drinkability is naturally up there as the 5.6% in not noticeable, the beer is an absolute pleasure from start to finish, an ideal session porter beer.

Final Thought: Wow, Sierra Nevada brews a mean porter that's as good as any other one out there.

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%

I love the Pale Ale and Celebration Ale, so I was looking forward to trying this. The beer is very dark, almost black, with a decent size tan head. At first all I could smell was chocolate, almost like a mocha. As the beer warmed, there was a lot more fruit present in the smell, berries? It felt quite smooth in the mouth, velvety. I guess I was a little dissapointed in the taste, not that it tasted bad, I just didn't seem very interesting. A little smokey and well balanced, but I couldn't get excited about it. It's definately above average, but I actually liked the Sam Adams Holiday Porter a little better.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

This one pours like a very standard porter. Nice dark brown color with a little layer of tannish head floating around. Laces pretty nicely, especially for a porter. Doesn't smell particularly interesting but a nice roasted malt scent is present, with a tiny bit of chocolate in the nose as well. Although this is a more malty beer than the widely available Pale Ale it is still very clear that you're drinking a Sierra just by the taste. I don't know they do it, but they definately have a signature taste. Nice malty body, and very well balanced with the citrusy hops. There's definately some flavor in there, chocolate, yeastiness, but this is a pretty mellow porter. None of that over powering "coffee" taste. Great smooth mouthfeel with a bitter kick to it. Surely one of the more drinkable porters out there. Cheers.

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%

I must admit that I've unfairly tended to avoid Sierra Nevada since I have found a few of their beers (including their Pale Ale and Celebration Ale) too hoppy for my personal taste. But facing a rather uninteresting beer selection at a local restaurant last night, and being in the mood for a dark beer on a chilly November evening, I decided to give the Sierra Nevada Porter a try.

As I poured my glass, I noticed thin tan head (typical for the style) and a rich dark color. The aroma was nice and toasty, but I was still weary of the possibility of an overly hoppy taste. Well, I was in for a pleasant surprise. Lots of toasty, dark-brewed coffee, chocolate and caramel flavor with a noticeable but not overwhelming hops presence. What was really surprising was that the hops didn't linger alone as they often do. Instead, all the full rich flavors stayed in my mouth as an almost perfect balance.

I believe I have now found one of my all-time favorite porters. Let this be a lesson to myself and others not to be so quick to write-off (or at least generalize about) a particular brewery after only trying a couple of their offerings. I look forward to trying more Sierra Nevada offerings in the future with a more open mind and palate.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been a while since I had the Porter. The SNPA is a classic to me.

The Porter pours unmistakably black with roasted malt in the nose.
Taste is almost chewy and dare I say chalky, though this seems to be typical of the style.

My mouth is evenly coated by the sweet sugars. If I stuck with this for an evening it would be quite drinkable; however, I find it hard to mix this in with the Pale Ales and other styles I favor.

A quality brew befitting the folks from Chico.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

from the bottle. poured dark brown with a creamy light tan head. flavor,dark chocolate. malts, roasted nuts, coffee,hint of hops. flavor coffee, chocolate the bitter sweet kind, roasted malts. nice smooth mouth feel enjoyed this one very drinkable will buy this one again

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

I like Sierra Nevada products but im not a porter fan at all, but maybe this brew would change my mind.

Pours out a nice dark tone with redish highlights and a nice amount of light tan head.

Smell seems a bit sour. Citrus and malt are very noticeable with a touch of toast.

Taste seemed unbalanced to me. Too citric at first and finsihing extremely malty. No real off flavors, but a bit sour in the after taste.

Mouth was alright, not anything to rave about. Seemed to lean more toward the light end.

II don't see this as something I would drink especially with the other SN brews available. If this was the only decent selection available, I would probably go with it.

4.11/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance - Dense, tan colored head formed on pouring. Color is dark brown. when held up to the light, you can see a beautiful deep reddish tint to the beer. Some lace clings to the side of the glass.

Smell - I detect a fairly strong malty smell, mixed with an earthy or smokey aroma. Hops linger in the background. Appealing.

Taste - Roasty foretaste, with hops breaking through in the aftertaste. This is a pretty strong flavored beer, given that it is "only" a porter. Malt-hop balance is good. The taste improves as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - There is a nice thick feel to this beer. Almost gritty, the way a good porter ought to be.

Drinkability -This ain't yer (grand)father's lager! Filling, satisfying.

Comments - In all the years I've been drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, I've always passed over their porter. No more. If you are in the mood for robust-tasting porter, I don't think you can miss with this beer!

Pours a very dark mahogany color. Nice head leaves some lace. Smells nice, if rather faint, mostly of coffee. Taste is very good, mostly coffee and chocolate, but without the roasted bitterness of SN Stout. Nice creamy mouthfeel.

Solid porter here, quite a bit better than the Rogue Mocha I had last night. Overall, definitely a must try.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a clean, very dark brown with hints of red at the fringes. A foamy, creamy head that settles down quickly but nevertheless persists. Smooth sweetness and roasted malts come through in the nose. Taste is wonderfully "busy" yet well integrated. Starts out with a nice, hoppy bite, followed by moderately sweet malts. Dry finish makes for a nice mouthfeel and good drinkability. This is likely to become a cool weather staple in my fridge.

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

nice dark beer slight red around outskirts of glass.nice size head leaves lace down the glass. i see this beer gets a decent score on BA but i must say im unimpressed.slight coffee hints little bit of hop bite at end .i like other sierra offerings but this one strikes me as average.

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

The pleasant aroma of this beer hits me as soon as I pop the cap. I don't even have to wait until pouring. It pours completely opaque black when held up to the light of my computer monitor. I'm not seeing any light get through this beer. This beer pours a solid inch of head that lasts and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

This porter is delicious. As soon as I take a sip, my taste buds are assaulted by a variety of flavor: chocolaty malt, espresso, a bitter hoppy kick to liven things up and keep it from being too sweet. There's a bitersweet aftertaste that lingers on after swallowing - the bitterness the last to leave your mouth. The mouthfeel is just right. Not too heavy, but definitely not light. The combination of flavor and body make me want to enjoy this beer in substantially sized sips. This beer is my good ol' black and blue standby when I don't want to try anything new, and I'm not exactly sure what I'm in the mood for. It's an excellent porter, and one of my favorites.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Brown 12oz. stubby looks like the picutre. Ingredients conform to the purity law. No freshness info.

Pours a dark and opaque deep burgundy under a big three finger tan head that settles fairly quickly, but with good contour and nice lace. The nose is very nice - roasted nut and caramel in droves. The mouth is very (too?) prickly, with medium body. We start with a good roasted nut and caramel opening, followed by a nice crips hoppy bite. A good bitter aftertaste follows the smooth malt finish. Nice complex and enjoyable brew.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. bottle with a 3206 date code ( late July 2003 ).

Pours opaque black with a slight tan head. Smells of chocolate malts and toasted grains. Medium bodied with a super smooth mouthfeel. Taste is of dark chocolates, toasted grains, and coffee. Finishes with a dark roasted malt bitterness.
Another top notch brew from Chico.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a dark rich brown. It is a great beer for fall and winter. It is full bodied and full of flavor. It has a proper head and has lots of body and leaves a good impression.

It has a nice bitterness, but it is not overpowering.

I haven't had this beer in quite some time because I'm weary of buying a microbrew so far from home when it is not refrigerated. (I don't live 30 min from Chico any more.) I was reminded of how great this beer is and I'm glad that it is available on the East Coast.

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle. Dark beer with foamy head. Soft. Carbonated. Smooth and malty with a nice mix of caramel and cough mixture. Mild natured. Some chocolate and coffee notes as expected. A very pleasant and easy drinking bit of the dark stuff. I'll have another!

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Mostly black with a hint of red at the corners. Thin layer of brown foam stays around. There is slight lacing.

Coffee and cocoa powder smell.

At first it's slightly sweet, then slightly tart, then there is a strong coffee bean flavor.

Full body and well carbonated.

I enjoy this beer but I enjoy others better. I prefer a stronger taste. Still, it's too strong for any of my friends to enjoy.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

The beer pours a deep dark brown color with a thick frothy tan head that is slow to recede. The aroma is good. It has a roasted malt scent that boasts of dark crystal and chocolate malts. There is also a bit of hops in there as well. The taste is great. It has an incredibly smooth, malty flavor that boasts of cystal and chocolate malts. It goes down quick and easy with a creamy chocolate finish. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a very easy drinking porter. It's not the best I've had, but it ranks up there in drinkability.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

This is just a damn good beer. I've been drinking Belgian's all week long and this, though very different, is just if not more tasty in my opinion. And you can get a sixer for what you sometimes pay for a whole bottle of Belgian Brew.
Tastes like a porter should.In fact, one sip was all it took for me to think "This is the benchmark by which all porters should be judged" Hop aroma and flowery flavor up front combined with perfectly roasted dark malts. Smooth and creamy mouth. Can't comment on the head cuz' I drank it from the bottle like a heathen.
Very drinkable. I wish I had about 3 more of these in the fridge.

I know I have raved about this beer. If you know of a better porter out there, beer mail me and let me know.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz brown bottle
This beer is nearly black with ruby hues when held to light. It has a nice head and leaves some lacing. It has a lightly roasty nose. The taste has some chocolate with a hint of coffee and some roastyness. This beer is medium to full bodied. This is a great beer that I will definatly have again.

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%

Let's face it.... Sierra Nevada is one of the classic American microbreweries. However, that does not mean they're infallible, and their porter is evidence of this.

I understand their beer is brewed in Chico, CA and I'm buying a six-pack in New York City. I judged accordingly.

Awesome appearance, everything I expected from a porter. Dark brown color, but not black, with ruby highlights. Nice head after the pour, with a head that lasts all the way down the glass.

Smell was pretty good, but not that strong. Seemed faint and weak-hearted. Where's the soul?

Taste? Tasted good, but not balanced. The sharpness/acidity from the black malt was not balanced by enough caramel sweetness or malty body.

Mouthfeel was decent... although a bit too thin.

Overall, it's rather drinkable, but I think I'd only want 2, maybe three bottles at the most, in one sitting.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Served from a bottle at 48 degrees from the beer fridge.
The beer poured with a small light brown head that quickly diminished.
Color was a very, very dark brown.
Smelled strongly of coffee and roasted malt.
Mouth feel was a little creamy and moderately carbonated.
The beer had a very pleasant roasted coffee taste with just the right amount of hops for balance. There was a slightly sweet malty finish with a hint of hops.
A very enjoyable brew.

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Almost black, with a beautiful and abundant head.
Smell of coffee and toasted, very delicate, toasted malts.
Same in the taste, very drinkable and pleasant. Again toasted notes, good.
The body is quite watery and drinkable.
A good bitter aftertaste, with some liquorice, and with good persistence.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Ok cant believe I havent had this one before. Served from the regular SN 12 oz bottle. Quite an attractive looking beer, brown with hints of deep red/garnet, large creamy light tan head.lots of carbonation visible. The aroma is somewaht strange IMO for a porter,very fruity,figgy,sugarysweet..strange but not unpleasant. this is quite a sweet porter compared to most of its class.Nice malt accents, though not too roasted.Unusual taste but I like it. Very nice on the palte ,finishes semi-dry with a hint of bitterness. A quite unusual porter..but good none-the -less.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The SN Porter pours a dark brown with ruby highlights. It has a pillowy tan head that goes down to a thin film that laces the glass.

Its aroma is dry, earthy roasted chocolate, with some figs and some coffee-like bitterness.

The flavor is sweet maltiness trending towards roasted up front with some figgy notes, which is followed by a crisp bitter finish with just the right amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel is creamy, but a little on the thin side.

Overall, a very well balanced porter. So far it's my favorite of the Sierra Nevada line up, and is one of the better porters I've had.

Sierra Nevada Porter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.