Sierra Nevada Porter - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-09-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Porter Alström Bros

pearljam118, May 15, 2012

ncstateplaya, May 15, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Consumed 5/14/12

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - not much lighter than Sierra Nevada Stout, actually - thin, off-white head, leaves streaks and spots of lacing

Smell: More interesting than the average porter - cooked, toasted, and roasted malts - some chocolate, and coffee - some citrus in here, too, mostly floral orange

Taste: Toasted, roasted malts, toffee, coffee, and chocolate, all in a nice balance - bitterness is mild - some citrus touches, floral and fleshy, adds some balance - slightly sweet, but not too much

Mouthfeel: Medium body, adequately carbonated, very smooth and very drinkable

Overall: I would say this is surprisingly good, but it's Sierra Nevada, so I guess I should have suspected it

I've had so many mediocre porters over the years. And to think, all this time, Sierra Nevada Porter has just been sitting on the shelf, readily available. This is not going to blow any minds, but it's the definition of solid. If more porters were more like this, I bet the style would be more popular.

angrybabboon, May 14, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from above the glass gives this porter a big rich light brown head that has some pretty good staying power above a dark brown colored beer with some reddish color coming through.

A light roasted caramel to or maybe with molasses in the aroma on this medium to full bodied beer.

A great full mouth feel and rich roasted caramel malt taste with some light molasses notes coming through.

A rich slightly dry aftertaste on this beer.

Good stuff.

LXIXME, May 13, 2012

gutbuster, May 13, 2012

WesM63, May 12, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Bought a 6pack at my local Round Rock Specs for 7.99.

I don't believe I've had this before...trying to think back a few years and just can't remember trying it. So here goes.

Pours a very dark brown with decent tan head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Some red tinge in it as well when held to the light. Nice lacing on this one.

Getting a nice scent of dark roasted malt, caramel, and sugary spice...maybe cinnamon? I like.

Dark roasted malt dominates along with toffee. Some hop bitterness on the palate after each sip too. Very good. Perfect amount of carbonation and a smooth aftertaste makes this on a very easy to drink and quite sessionable porter.

Pretty impressive...sorry I waited so long to try it.

obrike, May 12, 2012

tbeer40, May 04, 2012

HangingJohnny, May 03, 2012

DAVEnHOPS, May 02, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +26.4%

I tried this beer after making a create-your-own variety six pack at my local market. I served this from a 12 oz. bottle into a pub-style standard beer glass and just got done drinking it.

The appearance of it was dark, almost completely black. The head was a very deep tan almost beige color, about 2 1/2 fingers and was very creamy. The head dissipated after a bit, but mostly stuck around at 1/2 a finger, leaving lacing at the beer diminished.

The smell was straight up coffee, malts, and toffee for me. With a good bit of roastiness that was oh so present. I was very impressed with how accurate the smell was to the description of the ingredients used and was surprised by how pleasant it was.

This has to be one of the most flavorful beers I've ever had. I'm new to trying different beers having recently turned 21 and the taste of this just about blew my socks off. Coffee, cream, toffee, and dark roasted malts. Man it hit the spot. I'm a fan of the darker beers like Guinness and whatnot so this was right up my alley. The finish is that of a deep, bold bitterness that warms your throat and leaves a slightly smoky taste in your mouth. Somewhat sweet but not too much at all.

The mouthfeel was very smooth and also creamy. It has a bit of carbonation at the back of the sip, but otherwise this is a fairly flat beer if you were to compare it with a lager. Very nice.

Overall this has now got to be one of my top five beers. Something I will come back to every so often and savor again. I will reiterate in saying that I just turned 21, so my experience with different beers is lacking so others might know of better porters than this. I've tried the Anchor Porter as well and while that one was good, SN's porter brought more to the table in terms of what I expected a good porter to taste like. I'm used to Keystone and Bud Light, so this is shaping up to be a very interesting brew exploration experience for me to say the least.

12stepCornelius, May 01, 2012

NumberNone, May 01, 2012

mbiscombe, Apr 28, 2012

sennin, Apr 28, 2012

Njstoutlover23, Apr 28, 2012

mrsimm, Apr 27, 2012

bcsbeer, Apr 26, 2012
Sierra Nevada Porter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.