Sierra Nevada Porter - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter

pDev: 11%
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-09-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Porter Alström Bros
AltBock

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz. stubby bottle with a twist off cap. I didn't realize it was twist off until I used a bottle opener on it.

Poured a very dark brown color (almost black) with a small head of tan colored foam that dissipated into small rings around the mug. It had a faint aroma of dark chocolate, roasted malt and at sometimes, just a hint of caramel. The smell was good, but I think it needed to be just a little bit stronger. The flavor was that of strong roasted malt, dark chocolate, and some coffee notes in the background. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a strong roasted aftertaste. Very refreshing! Overall a cheap excellent porter that would make an excellent session Porter. This was my very first Sierra Nevada product and I'm going to make sure I try more of their beers in the future. Good work Sierra Nevada!

12-31-2005 19:17:00 | More by AltBock
Iguana

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearence - Pours a near black with reddish hues around the edges where light gets through with a 1cm head that laces up fairly quick.

Smell - Smell is real nice, a mix of coffee and chocolate.

Taste - This one tastes real good, starts out chocolatey and fades to sot of a roasted nutty flavor, real pleasing.

Mouthfeel - Overall the mouthfeel is not bad, kinda middle of the road as far as porter's i've had go.

Drinkability - This is a pretty nice porter, great taste and for the price I can see myself downing a few of these.

12-24-2005 06:48:25 | More by Iguana
brentk56

Appearance: Pours a brown/black color with a tan head that leaves spotty lacing around the glass

Smell: A nice blend of cocoa and fruity hoppiness

Taste: Strong coffee/mocha flavor on the front end with some fruity hop bitterness that kicks in very quickly; after the swallow, there is a smoky and slightly sour flavor that joins to add complexity; charcoal aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Rather light for a porter; more like a hoppy brown ale

12-22-2005 01:00:19 | More by brentk56
Matthew

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer suprised me. Much better than I had expected. Poors a deep blackish color with a giant dirty tan colored head. Lots of lacing.
Smell is of heavy roasted malts and a nice hoppy aroma but isnt very poingnant but rather you really have to make an effort to pick up alot of this beers aroma.
This is a bigger tasting porter than most I've tried and is very pleasant. The first thing I noticed is this beers hoppiness for the style. Nice roated malts, deep in flavor with a finish of hoppy goodness.
Mouthfeel is a little bit heavier than most porters but definatley not over the top and this beer is very drinkable. I had mine with a good meal of fake steak, a baked potato, and fresh spinach and it was enjoyed very much so I had another after dinner.
Very nice porter from sierra nevada. Definatley worth checking out.

12-15-2005 22:18:55 | More by Matthew
jamie2dope

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

This is maybe my fifth or sixth time trying this beer. Pours a near black color with an impressive thick head and lace that sticks around throughout. Smells like mild chocolate with some faint fruit flavors. Taste is somewhat smoky with a mild hop presence that compliments the roasted character. It stays rather sweet throughout, but does leave the palate with a light sour taste towards the end. For a somehwhat heavy porter, drinkability is top notch, I could drink these all night. I have had quite a few of the Sierra Nevada beers, and this one does not disapoint. It is simply a good beer to have around when theres a lack of selection at a packy near you. Drink Up

12-12-2005 07:06:32 | More by jamie2dope
acrawf6

Louisiana

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Pretty dark dark brown with thick tan head. Lacing hugs my glass as it is slowly emptied, sheet of head rests uponthe beer. Very nice.

the aroma is quite pleasant to, but not very strong. i really have to sink my nose into this once the head drops. because of this it seems like this beer would be on the light side for a porter, but the taste disagrees.

Taste has a hoppy presence, but the roasted malts balance very nice. small citrus flavor to this, maybe from the alpha acids, i dont know. but the aftertaste is great. lots of roasty and smoked flavors expand in my mouth

Mouthfeel is good. Of course, not as heavy as the bigger brother stouts (at least most of them), but very nice. well balanced, a little more slick than i thought it would be. average carbonation.

overall, a great porter to fall back on. great one to enjoy. I can usually find a 6-pack for around $6, cant go wrong with that.

12-10-2005 21:01:58 | More by acrawf6
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Picked up a single at Steve's on University Ave here in Madison.

Pours near black with a finger of cappucino-tinged frothy head. Nose is intensely refreshing - minty hops and grassy/grainy toasted malts with a hint of cocoa powder. Taste is crisp and well-hopped for a porter, with the floral notes balancing the roasted malts, espresso beans and cocoa. Mouthfeel is slick and crisply carbonated. This is a damn tasty, refreshing, and drinkable porter. If I wanted a session porter, this would be it. A very impressive showing from Sierra Nevada.

12-09-2005 23:51:29 | More by Golden2wenty1
metallistout

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%

This one pours a dark brown to ruby color, with a tan thick head that stayed in my glass for the whole duration of this enjoying adventure.
Smells of dark roasted coffee and caramal malt.

The robust chocolate and coffee malts tingling on the back of my tongue as the a lovely hop balance comes in for an extra flavor attack. I do love this beer.

I can't tell if I like this better than Edmund Fitzgerald or not. Edmund is pretty damn good, but again so is this tasty brew!

OK so I drank another Edmund and it still isn't that damn good!

12-09-2005 00:20:28 | More by metallistout
Vancer

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Oh man, what a good American porter from SN. Almost black pour, brown edges, tan and lacey head – mouth is already watering. Yep, rich and bold malty chocolate aroma followed by a superb quaff.

Some hints of burnt toast, but no sour ale aspect. Crisp and dry, almost makes it to a Irish stout category. Just another solid SN brew, best enjoyed in the winter by the fire. Oh, good economical American price!

12-02-2005 21:00:08 | More by Vancer
MSchae1017

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

This was tasted in a Pint Glass from a bottle.

The beer pours completely opaque with a sizeable head that hold and laces nicely. The beer smells of some good bitterness and malts with some sweetness. The taste carries the same characteristics but a charred/roasted maltiness can also be detected. The beer is not as thick as I would like from a porter but there is good carbonation. Porters are quickly becoming one of my favorite beer styles and this falls right in line

11-29-2005 02:29:52 | More by MSchae1017
whynot44

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Medium bodied, very dark reddish brown with a tan head that lingers and leaves some nice lace.

Aroma is sweet roasted malt and coffee with a spicy hops background.

Taste is well balanced, mellow and fairly smooth - coffee, caramel, maybe a touch of smoke and a pleasant hops bite that carries through in the aftertaste with a little alcohol warmth.

Very drinkable, especially in cool weather.

11-24-2005 08:10:50 | More by whynot44
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.68/5  rDev +19.7%

Reviewing this beer was like running into an old flame and finding her better looking, single and still interested! Bought a sixer on a whim and was rerewarded

Poured Mahagony brown to purplelish, heading to inky blackness. Chunky tan/brown head retained impressive head and lacing all the way down the glass. Nice gas beads bubble to the surface right up to the last swallow

Taste: roasted grains, choclate, and hop bitterness on the tounge and throat. Licorice and slight nutiness assert themselves

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth with great balance, carboantion levels perfect

I liked this as much as any beer I've had in the last few months.

11-24-2005 03:14:25 | More by russpowell
dgallina

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured slightly transparent brown with garnet edges. Very little head, but good lace and lots of carbonation for a porter. Smells of sweet dark fruits, deeply toasted coffee and chocolate malts, touches of alcohol spice and piney hops. Flavors begin with very sweet grains, building nice burnt-toast coffee malts in the middle. Medium dry and sweet finish with lingering toasted bread and prickly hop flavors. Body is slightly thick, oily and syrupy, with quite a lot of prickly carbonation for the style.

11-22-2005 03:11:39 | More by dgallina
jasonpeckins32

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

It pours a very dark brown color topped with a crisp, flush tan head that sticks around for quite a while. The nose is a nice balance of hops with a malty backbone. I notice semi-sweet chocolate in the smell as well. The taste is of roasted malts and something that reminds me of burnt chocolate cake. Possibly dried fruits also, but on a very minimal level. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, a squeak thinner than I had expected. Nice, smooth character. The drinkability is great, I could drink it all day and all night. I believe I've yet to be let down by any sierra nevada brew. Good Stuff.

11-20-2005 23:08:51 | More by jasonpeckins32
Enola

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

This is a fine offering from SN. Poured out a deep mahogany color with a thin head. The smell is of roasted coffee. It has a somewhat bitter taste with a little bit of bite at the end. The mouthfeel is slightly off a bit due to the bite but it is not too bad. I could drink these all night. This is a good beer worth buying again.

11-19-2005 21:44:12 | More by Enola
tobyandgina

Nevada

4.78/5  rDev +22.3%

I have tried a few beers from Sierra Nevada and they always seem to impress me. They continue to impress with Sierra Nevada Porter.

Color: very dark and chocolatey
Head: nice and thick upon pouring
Smell: a hint of coffe and chocolate - quite delactable!
Taste: little tingle on the sides of the tongue - great mouthfeel, very, very smooth, chocolatey, coffe taste, virtually no aftrertaste, extremely bold in flavor and yet very light. My wife and I really enjoyed this one. Try It! You won't be disappointed.

11-14-2005 06:53:11 | More by tobyandgina
dirtylou

Washington

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz single, woodmans

appearance: deep and dark, tinted ruby, thick and foamy milk chocolate brown head with creamy lacing

smell: sweet milk chocolate aromas, cocoa powder, sweet dark fruit, some hoppiness down there too, raisin

taste: sweet and chocolatey, espresso bean, dark fruit, a fruity hop twist that balances quite nicely. Very smooth but not as explosive as some of my favorite porters

mouthfeel: super creamy

drinkability: very drinkable

11-14-2005 00:00:05 | More by dirtylou
BigRedN

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pours from a stubby 12 oz bottle into my pint glass near black, slight brown around the edge when held to the light. Pour produces between 1/4 and 1/2 inch light brown head, a good start. Unfortunately the head has no staying power. Wilts to a ring and small cloud. Lacing was also weak, with a clump or two sticking to the glass in a random manner. Still, a good looking brew, near soda looking, but without all the fizz.

Smell: Bursts from the bottle with a dual hop/malt aroma. To me the hops stand out a little more. Hop aroma is mostly floral, touch earthy. Burnt malt (aroma mostly of coffeee, hint of chocolate) becomes more prominant as the beer warms in the glass.

Taste: A wonderful balance of hop/malt/hop. There is the burst of hops on the tongue (helped by the scent). A nice burnt malt (roasted coffee flavor) in the middle. The beer finishes bitter. While I found the Stout to be too hoppy for my taste and somewhat distracting, I find the hoppiness of this beer pleasing.

Mouthfeel: A tough lighter than medium in body with light carbonation. Lively on the tongue. I am getting pleasant hop burps as I sip a few.

Drinkability: Would I buy this again? If I see it on sale. Do I want another? Hell yeah. Would I seesion this? No, its not what its for. Enjoyable in moderation.

11-09-2005 04:41:04 | More by BigRedN
BrewMaven

3.83/5  rDev -2%

After having several Baltic porters, I was curious about the American version of this style. This one poured nearly black with ruby highlights when held to light. Had a pretty good sized head that lasted longer than the Baltics I've reviewed. Had the typical roasty burnt and a slight coffee aroma. Taste was like the smell and I noticed this is a lighter bodied brew than a Baltic although heavier than an Irish stout. Not alot of carbonation and it finished with just a slight hint of a bite. Pretty good stuff that I'd buy again.

11-08-2005 03:27:50 | More by BrewMaven
wcudwight

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Dark chocolate color with a hint of orange and red. Thick creamy chocolate head that last. Lots of lace.
S: Smells like a watery coffee.
T: Roasted malts dominate with a hint of citrus.
M: Thick, creamy and filling.
D: Very drinkable.
Another fine offering from Sierra Nevada.

11-06-2005 07:51:18 | More by wcudwight
SurgeonGeneral

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Serving temp: 50F Serving glass: Mug

Presentation: Brown stubby, sky blue label, layout very similar to other standard SN brews- old tymey with a nice nature setting. No freshness date.

Appearance: Great big pillowy head, light tan in color. Dark brown with ruby hilights shining through. OK lacing.

Aroma: Sweet malts. Molasses, burnt cookies and a bit of citrusy hops poking through. Slight alcoholic character in the nose.

Taste: Roasted bitterness along with a bit of citrus blend well with a malty sweetness, but fades quickly into an odd grassy aftertaste that stays.. and stays.. and stays. Bit of a dry finish from the hops.

Mouthfeel: Suprisingly light from this brew. Medium-high carbonation with a sticky aftertaste combines strangely with the hoppy dryness.

Drinkability: Don't get me wrong here- SN makes a couple of my favorite brews, but I expected so much more from this one. Not up to their standards, in my opinion. Still a better than average brew, however SN sets the bar to high for themselves..

10-28-2005 04:41:26 | More by SurgeonGeneral
pjwilson

This is a good beer. Nice dark color, and same lacing like the stout. However the smell and taste are a bit milder and the mouthfeel is lighter. This increases drinkability. However this is no light beer, they certainly fill you up. For me, this is one of my favorite porters and I get this beer a few times a year regularly. This along with the stout are my favorite regular beers from Sierra. I guess everyone's had this one, right?

10-20-2005 23:47:08 | More by pjwilson
jmz62565

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

A nice dark brown color,but the heads alittle small.This smells alot like coffee,choclate and cola.There is a malty and roast aroma as well.This tastes like it smells.There is a distinct coffee flavor thats very nice.This is a pleasent surprise.I didn't think this would be so good,but I was wrong.This is as good as some of the more critically acclaimed micro porters on the market.

10-20-2005 03:22:55 | More by jmz62565
evanackerman

fantastic beer! I can't decide whether i like this or the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald porter more. both are terrific.

beer is deep ruby when held to the light, black otherwise. Nice big head that lingers for a long time leaving wispy lacing as the beer is consumed.

aroma is roasted malt and hops.

taste is coffee and hops, very delicious, this porter does seem to emphasize hops a bit more than others.

mouthfeel is creamy and smooth but astringent.

drinkability is a bit lower only because the beer is a bit astringent and one is usually enough for me.

overall, a great example of a wonderful style - truly a style that America does very well.

10-20-2005 01:58:13 | More by evanackerman
67cuda

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer poured a nice deep brown color, with two fingers of chocolate head. It smelled of roasted malt, coffee, and caramel.. mmm! The taste is similar to the smell, caramel and coffee, a bit bitter, with some sweetness as well. Nice and creamy mouthfeel, not too much carbonation. This beer is much more drinkable than most porters, I could easily drink several in a session.

10-19-2005 05:43:18 | More by 67cuda
Sierra Nevada Porter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.