Sierra Nevada Porter - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada PorterSierra Nevada Porter

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-09-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Porter Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Ah, the wonderful sessionable porter! Poured into a Sam Adams SuperAwesomeBeerEnhancer glass.

A - Dark, not a lot of a head on it but what was there stuck around for the entire pint.

S - Mmmm Mmmm malt. Couldn't detect any hop aroma, but the malty goodness was fine by me.

T - Taste is good. Again, you're looking at a great example of what a porter is, then you're making it sessionable. So, imagine that and you're on the right path.

M - I would have liked something that was a little heavier on the mouthfeel. BUT! Since it's sessionable, it's a bit thin. I think it's a good compromise.

D - Did I mention it's my favorite winter session beer? Oh I did? Ok. Well, it's very drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours dark brown with ruby highlights. Very nice, substantial tan head, that leaves a minimal amount of lacing

Roasty malt aroma with slight hints of coffee, caramel, and chocolate. A very slight fruity aroma as it starts to warm. Virtually no hop aroma to speak of. (I really expected more hop aroma after having tried the SN stout)

Bold malty flavor, roasty overtones and chocolate malts dominate. As the beer warms you start to notice small amounts of hops, not overpowering but definately present.

It is a little "thin" for a porter for my taste, not enough so that it takes away from the overall eperience, but I prefer a slightly "thicker" mouthfeel in a porter.

Very nice, overall I am very impressed.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured into a shaker pint. Deep clear walnut color with a thick creamy off-white head that turns slowly into a thick film and laces OK. Nutty malty aroma. Semi-sweet taste with a slight sour finish. Very smooth and easy to drink. A very fine example and well crafted of a porter.

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Dark brown hue with tan highlights around the edges. You can just barely see through the glass. Minimal lacing.

I went in expecting your standard porter nose, but I found the hoppiness of the beer to be front and center. Floral hops, not citrus - this was followed by the toasted malt and nutty nose I has anticipated. I like the curveball of the dominant hops. Warming this beer up a little opens some tobacco scents.

There's a whole lot going on in the taste and it's not quite consistent. Some sips run heavily into the hop side and some have the tobacco and coffee malt going first before the bitter hop finish slides in out of nowhere.

It's a pretty easy drinking beer if you're looking for a porter that doesn't feel heavy. There's enough flavor here to be worth your time and money, even if it's a little uneven.

4.64/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance: Pours a deep rich dark brown color with a mocha creamy head. NIce lacing down the glass. Clear beer with dark red abd black hues.

Smell: Smells exactly like a tootsie roll mixed with some bourbon. Nice wintery, aromatic toffee, espresso and chocolate aromas.

Taste: Tastes like a mix between a tootsie roll, espresso and chocolate milk with bourbon. Excellent flavor that lingers on and on.

Mouthfeel: Just a hair thin for the flavors comming through. Carbonation is spot on. Would be better a little warmer.

Drinkability: I would limit this to the colder months, though the abv isnt tremedously high, it could be drank summer nights. A full bodied great porter and near perfect example of the style.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours clear, hearty brown in color with a light and creamy, tan head. The glass is overflowing with sweeth roasted grain aromas. The body is mildly heavy with moderate carbonation to make the flavor of robust roasted malts and chocolate dance around the palate. The brew then flows into a graceful malty finish where the coffee and chocolate fade away gently.

a: This was a clear, dark brown color. It poured with a thick, creamy head that faded fairly quickly.

s: I got nutty roasty malts that smelled vaguely like coffee. Plus a little hop bitterness in the backround.

t: Mirrors the smell for the most part. Flavors of gently nutty roastiness with a little chocolate that I didn't smell.

m: Gently creamt carbonation and an average porter body.

d: Very tasty porter, I think I wanted a little more coffee or chocolate though.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a deep, dark black color. Just a hint of amber around the edges when held to the light. White foamy head that dissipates to ¼ inch lingering foam. Some lacing.

Smells of roasted malt and chocolate. Nice, but not overpowering. Hints of coffee

Taste is roasted malt, and lingering chocolate. Some carbonation, and coffee after taste. The taste is much stronger than the smell.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium body, crisp and sweet.

A very enjoyable porter. I'm surprised by the chocolate notes. A very drinkable beer, especially during the winter months.

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured forth a deep brown color into my glass. Smelled of malts and coffee. The taste was a bit bitter, but not over powering. Coffee and hops push through in flavor. An average tasting porter. Hops are quite pronounce for a porter followed by toffee and a rich chocolate finish. I could have a few of these before I got tired of them, bit more bitter than I would like in this type of beer.

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured a deep dark ruby or garnet tinged brown with ample tan head that dissipated quickly and left some lacing. Aromas primarily of chocolate malts with some slight bitterness on the tale end. Feel was medium to full bodied with some dryness/crispness noticed. Very drinkable as the flavor was not overly sweet and the ABV is manageable.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Sierra Nevada really is a remarkable brewery! Every-time I am able to drink one of their beers all the way out here on the east coast, I am a happy man. While their Porter has been a staple in my beer consumption for years, I never grow tired of its sumptuous, robust flavor. A beautiful example of an American Porter, SN has again created a beer worthy of anyones beer fridge!

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

This one confused me. It looks like a porter: nearly jet black with a white head and minimal lace; but the smell and taste are very hoppy. It's not that that's a bad thing, just unusual for the style. The hops aren't overpowering, but they do drown out what ought to be the standout feature of the beer: chocolate malt and sweet caramel. Overall, I found this porter to be too bitter, and for such a great brewery, I think they could have done a lot better.

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Bittersweet chocolate up front, fading into deeper layers of malt. Around near the finish the bittersweet citrus (grapefruity) works its way in wonderfully, to add a refreshing aspect to this porter.

Mouthfeel is medium and has a nice creaminess to it, but isn't overbearing.

Pleasant malt flavours combined with great citrusy hops make this a favourable brew to grab if you want flavour and refreshment. Way to go Sierra Nevada!

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer pours a jet black cola colour with decent carbonation that leaves a two finger foamy head that hangs around and heaps of visible lacing can be seen everywhere,it has a nice sweet malty aroma to it with some coffee and floral fruity hops coming thru aswell,it has a nice full but light mouthfeel with that sweet coffee first on the palette followed by a nice choc fruity bitterness to make the finish quite smooth,definately a standout porter in my eyes and just hope i see it in our winter.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

IBU's 32. Golding and Willamette hops.

A= nice deep brown, good head and lacing.

S= sweet roasted malts

T= very very nice, with roasted caramel malts sweetness and flavor, slight coffee undertones. Nice hops florals underneath which come through more in the finish; modest bitters for a Sierra Nevada.

M= florals, roasted malts and sweet caramel lingering for quite some time, with some dry malts and hops bitters coming through. Nice toffee flavor in balance. Hints of dark milk chocolate in the finish.

D= very drinkable, great session if you're in the Porter mood, would be great with dark meats or dark bread meals.

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

This was left at my house from a recent party :). There are several others that I will be trying too .I have never tried this one before. I have not really tried to many porters so forgive me if my review is flawed in anyway I am just going by what I pickup

Appearance- Pours an opaue reddish blackish brown color (LOL) with a fuzzy tan/creme head

Smell- Very roasty and malty. Some subtle chocolate and coffee notes. It also has this kind of mellow smokiness to it. If you dig deep enough (or sniff hard enough) you can also pick up the hops.

Taste- Very much like the smell it has the taste of alot of roasty malt and I think I can taste the chocolate and coffe presence more than I expected being the scent was so faint. I didn't really no what to expect as far as hoppyness which in this beer it is there but it is very balanced. It seems that most of the taste in this beer is from the other ingredients the hops just seem to be there for bittering

Mouthfeel- Very thick and cremy. For a medium body beer this is surprisingly thick. The carbonation is spot on as far as what I was expecting. This beer feels very clean and crisp on the pallete

Overall, I like this beer alot and would easily welcome it into my top 20 list, I am not an avid poter drinker but this might change that. One thing is for sure though they are pretty filling I am not sure if I could drink alot of them but I know I could drink atleast one more. Sadly enough this was last one left in the frig :( oh well there are a few other beers in there I am dying to try.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a really good, readily available porter. Purchased at my local joint, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Deep, dark red. Nice foamy head with multi-sized bubbles. Good retention, clings to the side of the glass and slides down slowly.

S: Coffee, chocolate, malt and a slight note of black cherry.

T: A smooth, easy drinking porter. Coffee notes detected, lots of malty goodness and dark fruit.

Drinkability: I'd say the Sierra Nevada is pretty highly drinkable for a porter.

Value: For $8.99 a six pack, you really can't do much better for a good, solid, go-to porter. I'd buy it again.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Toasty aroma with some hints of prune and bread.

Dark brown color with reddish cast. Stiff brown head with legs.

Bitter and mildly sweet at first. Bitterness mellows and then deepens on the finish.

Pretty clean finish however. Medium to light body with some astringence on the front.

High drinkability. But an average porter.

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this one many times before but finally picked up a six when looking to have some easy drinking porter recently. Thought it was about to to think about this one a little more while I drank it and log a review.

Appearance- Pours an opaque black with about one and half fingers of tan head. Pretty solid head retention and a good amount of lacing left as I drink this one down. Looks like a solid porter.

Smell- Lots of roasted malt and some mild coffe and chocolate notes. Not complex, but smells quite inviting.

Taste- A very prominent roastiness with some of the creamy chocolate and coffee mixed in that I picked up on in the nose. Very mild, but very nice.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouth feel is just thick and creamy enough for a porter with appropriate and somewhat mild carbonation. Drinkability is very high for me on this with just the right amount of flavor complexity to make it a good session beer.

Overall, a very solid, creamy, easy drinking porter that I'm sure I'll be revisiting many times more in the future. Isn't the best but great for the price.

Overall,

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Thought I already reviewed this but guess not.

A- Poured a deep darker brown. It wasn't black just really dark brown. Nice 2 finger dirty white head on this that stayed for a little before leaving nice amounts of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Nice surprising citrus hops in the nose from the front. This is followed by a nice light toasted malt. There are light coffee and mild chocolate notes that come and go it seems.

T- Just how I remembered it! Roasted malts play a big roll in the front as they overtake the lighter hops. Nice flavors of coffee and chocolate play through the entire beer. Roasted malts are from start to finish with this beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel to this. Carbonation is on par for the style. Nice roasted malts are left on the palate and on the aftertaste. this beer lingers around for a short time after the beer is gone. Clean and crisp on the palate.

D- This is a good drinking porter that I tend to overlook. Flavors are bright and crisp in the beer and I will be looking for this a little more often.

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

Ah, Sierra Nevada Porter. I'll admit it's an old favorite of mine from my college days when Sierra Nevada was damn near the only craft beer to be found with any regularity. So, when I saw the newly redesigned sixer on the shelf, the only thing to do was to pick it up and see if it was as good as I remembered it.

The initial impression from the aroma was a bit milder than I recalled, a little roasty and a little hoppy but nothing that really grabbed me. I was prepared to be let down, but with the first sip came rushing back the memories of the old days.

It tasted exactly like I remembered it - bittersweet chocolate, a touch of dark roasted coffee, and a spicy and citrusy hop finish. A complex, mind-blowing beer this is not, but it's perhaps the most perfectly balanced porter I've ever tasted. Roasted without being burnt, not overly sweet or rich, and with just the perfect amount of hops to give it that distinct West Coast character without overwhelming the beer. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a few more of these to knock back before I get on with the rest of my day...

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

Another one of those beers that I just have never gotten around to reviewing.

A: The pour is absolutely great. A dark, dark brown with a finger's worth of off-white colored foam. The head on this beer is amazing, and leaves some awesome lacing.

S: The smell of this one is a bit different than what you'd expect from a porter. The nose is full of citrus hops followed by a background aroma of roasted malt and coffee.

T: The hops are not quite as pronounced here. There is still a nice little citrus flavor, but the roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate are the big players here (more what I think of when I have a porter).

M: The body is maybe a bit thin, but still good. There is a nice level of carbonation to liven things up on the palate.

D: Another great beer from Sierra Nevada. These guys make some of the best session/most drinkable beers out there. You can never go wrong with a Sierra product.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours with a rich tan head on top of a brown beer. One thing about this beer is that it always pours up into spectacular looking beer.

Aroma has a balance of roasted coffee, caramel, and cocoa-like malts and earthy, herbal, and citric hops.

The taste is similar to the aroma in that neither the hops nor malt ever completely takes over. Instead, the firm chocolate and caramel notes of the malt play perfectly with the earthy and citric hops. It's all very well balanced, yet very flavorful.

Overall, one of the best porters that's regularly available. When fresh the the malt is sharp and the hops are bold, but as it ages it smooths out and a silky milk chocolate character comes out. In both conditions its a really good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a dark black with almost no light being let through. There is about two fingers of foamy light brown head with some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is a slight bit roasty with some malty flavor amid some slight nut flavor.

The taste is some what coffee in flavor, some nice roasted malt and toffee flavor.

The feel of this beer is pretty light for a porter but is still medium bodied.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a dark brown color with a nice tan head and some major lacing throughout the session.

An aroma of toffee, campfire smoke, coffee, and dark chocolate.

Taste has a major hit of coffee followed by a nice malty backbone. There is quite a bit of bitterness on the buds after each sip.

Very easy drink. Multiples a plenty on a chilly day. This porter is a great version of the style and can be found easily which is nice.

Sierra Nevada Porter from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.