Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -69.3%

stoppertb18, May 22, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -69.3%

kvnstfrd, May 23, 2013

mctizzz, Feb 20, 2012

jmccraney, Dec 20, 2011

SickNukes, May 18, 2012

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Thanks to beerwolf77 for this one!

(A)- Pours a near pitch black color that produced a huge fluffy tan heat with superb retention. Plenty of lacing left behind, not wanting to disappear.

(S)- Dry, with a very subtle/mellow roastedness. Some raisins and a minimal nutty background.

(T)- Also dry like the smell, but with an overwhelmingly bitter nutty profile. Hints at a roasted profile, but not really.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Extremely bitter. So bitter that it becomes an acrid burnt flavor for me.

(D)- The ridiculous burnt flavor really puts me off and causes me to not even want to finish this. I am surprised by this one coming from Sierra Nevada.

sweemzander, Dec 11, 2010

jonathaniler, Jun 24, 2012

Brew33, Dec 16, 2011

tatums1984, Jan 13, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

For Stout, this beer fell short.

Appearance: It poured a darker than brown color, but not as dark as I would have expected. Head was okay.

Smell: Strong on hops, I never understood a Stout be heavy on hops. Need I say more?

Taste: The taste was strong on, oh yeah hops…….. Not what I expect to taste. The coffee was weak, and the chocolate was weak. Just hops.

Mouth feel: Smooth with a little bite on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability: This is, for me at least, not a session beer. I can’t see myself drinking this brew on any occasion.

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

bossmanjg, Mar 02, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

chippo33, Mar 05, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

JBarx, Aug 19, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -44%

A: This looks great. An almost black color with some dark brown highlights. A huge head forms and sticks around to leave a coat of lace down the glass.
S: Some skunky burnt malt and a lot of hops for a stout. This is not what I was expecting.
T: Way to bitter for a stout. Judging from the smell I should not be surprised. Just a hint of chocolate and coffee as the taste lingers. I am sorry, but when I drink a stout, I need lots of roasted malt, and this does not have it.
D: The bitterness makes this very hard to drink.

SN likes to put lots of hops in there darker beers. It worked with the porter, but I do not enjoy it here. I am not a fan of this beer.

champ103, Feb 06, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Sampled last night on 8/9/14. had this once before back in 2011. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a very deep dark brown in color and is close to being pitch black. Looks great! Has a nice 1+-finger beige thick head. A good amount of lacing is seen with each sip that sticks to the inside of the glass also. Perfect carbonation for a stout. The aroma is of roasted malts for the most part but nothing else. The taste of the roasted malts comes through at first then followed up by a very bitter aftertaste, almost like drinking a strong I.P.A. (India Pale Ale). After a few more sips it didn't get any better. Way to bitter and after a good hour I ended up pouring about half of it out. One of the worst stouts I had drank. To me, the best part of this one was the pour and look in the glass.

BeerWithMike, Aug 10, 2014
2.42/5  rDev -40.5%

12 oz twist off bottle obtained from a local grocery store in Feb 2005. Pours a tan-brown thin layer of head over a very dark liquid that is dark red-mohoganey when held to the light (and is crystal clear). Smells of chocolate with a gentle coffee and that's about it. Tastes gently of roasted grains first, coming stronger in the middle and as the beer passes down the throat. Then, an earthy and unpleasant straw taste arises...perhaps from the hops? This unpleasant taste does have some floral character to it. Whatever it is, I'm not fond of it. A bit of a sour from the roasted grains, but not an overbearing sour like I find in so many other stouts. It's a dry beer, which serves to amplify the characteristics that I haven't enjoyed. Medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation that forms fine bubbles on my tongue. Little lacing inside my glass and the head is just a tiny ring for the last swallow. If I recall, this was just $5 per 6-pack and was not worth it. If you must chose a Sierra Nevade product, I recommend the porter instead.

mentor, Feb 07, 2005
2.45/5  rDev -39.8%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Served in a pint glass

Pitch black in appearance. The inky liquid was topped by a gigantic, dense and bubbly, cocoa-colored head that faded to a one-finger crop of foam. Thick patches of drippy lacing coated the glass.

Notes of charred wood came through in the nose. Initially, the beer smelled similar to a campfire. Piney hops were noticeable in the background. As the beer sat, the smoke subsided and roasted malts began to take over. There was also a touch of a dry and powdery yeastiness. Hints of bakers chocolate were detectible as well.

The taste was thin. Notes of char appeared on the front end. Some day old coffee. Lots of super roasty malts. Piney, bitter hops and burnt malts dominated the finish. Exceedingly dry, crisp and bitter. A touch acrid.

The mouthfeel was a huge letdown. It was super thin, light and airy with an aggressive, large bubbled effervescence. With its slight creaminess, the body reminded me more of an Irish dry stout than a typical American stout. The carbonation eventually dissipated and the beer felt watery and flat.

Sierra Nevada Stout is short on flavor but quite harsh. All in all, I found it really difficult to put down. This beer might have been considered respectable back in the day, but times have changed.

Damian, Jun 05, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours brown but appears black in the glass. Bountiful foam above the black body. Caramel and black malt aroma, providing caramel, cocoa and coffee hints, along with a huge burst of aromatic cascade, which hints of citrus and grapefruit. Flavor, though roasty and coffee laden, is suprisingly hop accented, with a citrusy and extremely bitter blend. I prefer decadent malt in stouts, not hop madness.

Crosling, Apr 12, 2006

bulldogg915, Mar 06, 2014

olradetbalder, Nov 17, 2014

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012

twizzbeatz, Mar 07, 2012

Zachtheporter, Mar 02, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

Bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: dark with no other worthy features

Smell: weak flowers, kinda spicy

Taste: watery flowers and too bitter, coffee, hops

This is a poor excuse for stout. I'm not a fan of the style, but this is one of the worst I've tried. I drank about half the glass and called it quits. It just lacked flavor and was overly hopped.

ClavisAurea, Sep 28, 2008

ejw127, Dec 03, 2011
Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.