1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,510 | Reviews: 1,313 | Show All Ratings:
sweemzander

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Thanks to beerwolf77 for this one!

(A)- Pours a near pitch black color that produced a huge fluffy tan heat with superb retention. Plenty of lacing left behind, not wanting to disappear.

(S)- Dry, with a very subtle/mellow roastedness. Some raisins and a minimal nutty background.

(T)- Also dry like the smell, but with an overwhelmingly bitter nutty profile. Hints at a roasted profile, but not really.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Extremely bitter. So bitter that it becomes an acrid burnt flavor for me.

(D)- The ridiculous burnt flavor really puts me off and causes me to not even want to finish this. I am surprised by this one coming from Sierra Nevada.

12-11-2010 16:23:36 | More by sweemzander
bossmanjg

2.2/5  rDev -46.1%

For Stout, this beer fell short.

Appearance: It poured a darker than brown color, but not as dark as I would have expected. Head was okay.

Smell: Strong on hops, I never understood a Stout be heavy on hops. Need I say more?

Taste: The taste was strong on, oh yeah hops…….. Not what I expect to taste. The coffee was weak, and the chocolate was weak. Just hops.

Mouth feel: Smooth with a little bite on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability: This is, for me at least, not a session beer. I can’t see myself drinking this brew on any occasion.

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

03-02-2006 01:43:32 | More by bossmanjg
champ103

2.28/5  rDev -44.1%

A: This looks great. An almost black color with some dark brown highlights. A huge head forms and sticks around to leave a coat of lace down the glass.
S: Some skunky burnt malt and a lot of hops for a stout. This is not what I was expecting.
T: Way to bitter for a stout. Judging from the smell I should not be surprised. Just a hint of chocolate and coffee as the taste lingers. I am sorry, but when I drink a stout, I need lots of roasted malt, and this does not have it.
D: The bitterness makes this very hard to drink.

SN likes to put lots of hops in there darker beers. It worked with the porter, but I do not enjoy it here. I am not a fan of this beer.

02-06-2008 03:33:49 | More by champ103
mentor

2.42/5  rDev -40.7%

12 oz twist off bottle obtained from a local grocery store in Feb 2005. Pours a tan-brown thin layer of head over a very dark liquid that is dark red-mohoganey when held to the light (and is crystal clear). Smells of chocolate with a gentle coffee and that's about it. Tastes gently of roasted grains first, coming stronger in the middle and as the beer passes down the throat. Then, an earthy and unpleasant straw taste arises...perhaps from the hops? This unpleasant taste does have some floral character to it. Whatever it is, I'm not fond of it. A bit of a sour from the roasted grains, but not an overbearing sour like I find in so many other stouts. It's a dry beer, which serves to amplify the characteristics that I haven't enjoyed. Medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation that forms fine bubbles on my tongue. Little lacing inside my glass and the head is just a tiny ring for the last swallow. If I recall, this was just $5 per 6-pack and was not worth it. If you must chose a Sierra Nevade product, I recommend the porter instead.

02-07-2005 06:42:27 | More by mentor
Crosling

2.45/5  rDev -40%

Pours brown but appears black in the glass. Bountiful foam above the black body. Caramel and black malt aroma, providing caramel, cocoa and coffee hints, along with a huge burst of aromatic cascade, which hints of citrus and grapefruit. Flavor, though roasty and coffee laden, is suprisingly hop accented, with a citrusy and extremely bitter blend. I prefer decadent malt in stouts, not hop madness.

04-12-2006 01:26:28 | More by Crosling
Damian

2.45/5  rDev -40%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Served in a pint glass

Pitch black in appearance. The inky liquid was topped by a gigantic, dense and bubbly, cocoa-colored head that faded to a one-finger crop of foam. Thick patches of drippy lacing coated the glass.

Notes of charred wood came through in the nose. Initially, the beer smelled similar to a campfire. Piney hops were noticeable in the background. As the beer sat, the smoke subsided and roasted malts began to take over. There was also a touch of a dry and powdery yeastiness. Hints of bakers chocolate were detectible as well.

The taste was thin. Notes of char appeared on the front end. Some day old coffee. Lots of super roasty malts. Piney, bitter hops and burnt malts dominated the finish. Exceedingly dry, crisp and bitter. A touch acrid.

The mouthfeel was a huge letdown. It was super thin, light and airy with an aggressive, large bubbled effervescence. With its slight creaminess, the body reminded me more of an Irish dry stout than a typical American stout. The carbonation eventually dissipated and the beer felt watery and flat.

Sierra Nevada Stout is short on flavor but quite harsh. All in all, I found it really difficult to put down. This beer might have been considered respectable back in the day, but times have changed.

06-05-2012 03:57:45 | More by Damian
ClavisAurea

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

Bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: dark with no other worthy features

Smell: weak flowers, kinda spicy

Taste: watery flowers and too bitter, coffee, hops

This is a poor excuse for stout. I'm not a fan of the style, but this is one of the worst I've tried. I drank about half the glass and called it quits. It just lacked flavor and was overly hopped.

09-28-2008 00:40:09 | More by ClavisAurea
kojevergas

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours an appealing two finger tan colour head of good cream, good thickness, and fantastic retention. Colour is a solid black/extremely dark ruby. Appealing, but then I'm a stout lover.

Sm: Cream, toffee, chocolate, and caramel. A mild strength aroma.

T: Caramel, light vanilla, some extremely light cream, and a tinge of ... malt? What's that doing in a stout? It's okay, but it's a bit bland for a stout. The roast especially is far understated. the balance is off, and the build is merely okay.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Kind of suits the flavour, but not really.

Dr: Easy to drink but fairly low quality. A poorly executed stout with no clear appreciation for the style. Above average ABV, both in style and beer, and lacking in quality. I'll never have this again - except maybe on draught.

10-08-2011 04:53:24 | More by kojevergas
MbpBugeye

2.73/5  rDev -33.1%

A- Deep, deep red that forms a blackish beer. Small, yet dense light tan head. Good retention, even in a shaker pint.

S- Very hoppy nose but I've come to expect nothing less from Sierra. It smells more like a black IPA.

T- Still very hoppy. Some roast anf vinous dark fruits come to try to help, but nothing can be done to over throw the hops.

10-11-2010 07:08:48 | More by MbpBugeye
njmoons

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a Stout to my taste buds. Maybe a winter warnmer, dark ale, or something else, but there was not much stout about this beer.

Having said that, did I like the beer? Wasn't bad, but I would not get it again.

Appearance: Dark brown but see through. Half finger head that was gone quick

Smell: Malty and Grainy, and good blast of noble hops. There was some complexity to the malts, but overshadowed by the aroma hops.

Taste: Light Malt start with grassy overtones from the aroma hops. Hop flavors take over and a bitter end. There are some coffee and chocolate flavors there, but not enough Malt flavor for the style.

Mouthfeel: On the light side for a stout.

Drinkability: Not hard to drink, and if you like a hoppy darker beer, this is not bad.

04-05-2010 18:09:52 | More by njmoons
ATPete

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

12 oz bottle

My buddies brought this one over today, im a big fan of a lot of Sierra Nevada beers but once again the Stout disappoints me. It pours a dark brown, almost black color with a big brown head. Very malty nose with a bit of smoke and charcoal. It tastes pretty much the same way, very malty, smokey with a very dry bitter finish. The after taste is funky and stale tasting. Its mouth feel is its main down point, over carbonated and extra thick and grainy. I'd avoid this one, there are better domestic 'session' stouts out there.

06-12-2008 21:14:56 | More by ATPete
Jbelokur

2.83/5  rDev -30.6%

I was completely disappointed with this beer. Having tasted the Sierra Nevada Porter I had high expectations for this beer, and was frustrated by what I got.

Appearance: Very dark color, no light passed through at all. The head was a solid three fingers, tan in color, and very bubbly as apposed to the creamy head one would expect from a stout.

Smell: Intense hop smell, citrus was over powering for a stout.

Taste: The first thing that hits you is the intense hop flavor, followed by a distant second of roasted malt. Other flavors are masked by the hoppiness of the beer.

Mouth Feel: This beer was far thinner than I had expected. It has less mouth-feel than their porter.

Drinkability: As a stout it is something to have once and a while but is not a session beer (for me).

Again completely disappointed. I love their porter, but his was completely over hopped for the style. The reason people drink stouts and porters are for the maltiness of them not the hops. If I wanted and IPA I would have drank one.

06-05-2010 02:14:44 | More by Jbelokur
JoeAmerican77

2.85/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours out a charcoal mud water with one inch of multi bubble head with a custard color...

Mild roasted malts and a hint of juniper kind of weak in smell.

Toasted cereal grains and roasted malts, a pinch of hops, light cocoa powder, and its quite the expected taste, in a agreeable way.

light bodied, stringent and soapy, small carbonation.

It is drinkable, however I expect a lot larger and more prominent palate out of my Stouts. Just too uncomplicated.

02-27-2011 17:19:37 | More by JoeAmerican77
tweeder263

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of the bottle dark with a little light showing through.Smells good coffee like. However in the taste department im not impressed. Leaves a bitter taste i cant point out but not desirable.Mouthfeel is thin,,its drinkable but doesnt have much of a place in my fridge.

11-09-2004 01:17:55 | More by tweeder263
PatronWizard

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally grabbed this puppy. Been looking at it in the store for awhile but I generally like my stouts to be friggin huge with 10+% ABV. At 5.8, this little guy should still be worth a try.

Pours out a coffee/cola shade of brown but looks quite black in the glass. Generous light mocha head. Very inviting.

Smell is mostly a light roasted coffee malt kinda thing with a subtle hop undertone. Again with the inviting.

Tastes seems a bit off to me. Starts with some bitter coffee, then continues with some bitter coffee. Burnt malt, burnt coffee, toasted, roasted whatever. The hop backing seems to conflict instead of balance. Then again I'm just some podunk drunk trying to have a beer here.

Fairly full bodied, carbonation is generous and pleasing, but I'm not getting very excited.

I'm a fan of Sierra Nevada for sure but this one is a miss for me.

Overall: won't be purchasing again.

08-29-2009 18:29:40 | More by PatronWizard
biglite351

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

A - the foam is nice and large and long lasting, but the brew looked Luke a cherry cola.

S - the scent is rather strong and different than I expected.

T - it is a little to bitter for me. The flavor seems to only hit the front of the mouth. It seems to vanish by the time it get to the back of the mouth.

M - while the flavor leaves a little yo be desired, the brew nicely coats the whole mouth.

D - while it feels nice, the flavor would keep my hand moving down the shelf.

04-07-2010 03:54:51 | More by biglite351
AdamBear

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Even for a semi-sessionable stout, this just isn't all that great

A-dark brown, with a decent cream colored head

S-some mocha but fairly hoppy, creamy but mild

T-hits with a good amount of dark roasted coffee beans that are quite creamy. not as bitter as i expected. leaves with dark roasted malts.

M-medium carbonation that is a bit tangy. dry finish

D-develops a creamy tanginess that i find undesirable. alcohol, of course, doesn't come in to play which is nice for a stout, but still...i couldn't drink a lot of this.

01-04-2011 19:02:46 | More by AdamBear
voraciousalky

Mississippi

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

This particular stout is acceptable, but it's not THAT good. I'm a little amazed to see so many "A" reviews. It's tolerable, and I'll drink the entire six-pack I bought, but I won't be buying it again. In my opinion, they went a little overboard with the hops. This has been the case with every Sierra Nevada brew I've tried, irrespective of style. I don't think of stouts as being this "hoppy," so it was not what I expected, to say the least.

04-13-2010 19:44:48 | More by voraciousalky
HochFliegen

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a rich brown and tan frothy head.
Smell is chocolate with some burnt coffee tones and burnt bread crust smell as well.
Taste was rather basic and watery. Has a Light sweetness to it that fades quickly to a bitter aftertaste and slight dryness.
Compared to the smell the taste didnt stand up to what I thought it should. Nor did that mouthfeel.

12-22-2004 06:17:23 | More by HochFliegen
rarevos

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured into pint glass on 9/21/06.

A: Pours a near-black that only shows dark brown when held up to the light. Thick, fluffy head after a careful pour. Great retention.

S: Very, very mild. Almost non-existent aroma. Very faint roastiness, very faint floral hop presence.

T: Luckily, it has more flavor than the nose suggests. Roasted coffee bean up front, hint of dark chocolate. Finish is lightly bitter and earthy with a rather abrupt smoky trail.

M: Creamy.

D: It's easy to drink, but as stouts go, this was a dud for me. It's not very stout, and I found the porter to be the superior beer of the two. I'll revisit it in a few months, but I won't be counting down the days until I do. I found this to be a really bland beer.

09-22-2006 20:13:16 | More by rarevos
hopsbreath

Oregon

2.98/5  rDev -27%

Went through a six pack of these when I was in Oregon a couple weeks back. The review is from notes I took at that time.

Appearance is dark brown with a thin quickly dissipating 1 finger of head.

Smell is of a little biscuit, coffee, and roasted malts. Just what a stout should be.

Taste is OK. Hops upfront, dark grains in the middle, and bitter hops finish.

The mouthfeel was prickly and carbonated. One of my personal negatives in regard to stouts.

Drinkability was so-so and I was able to polish the whole six pack off over the span of a week.

I originally bought this beer as a way to "set my palette" for bigger stouts. The flavors were hoppier that what is more of the norm for today's stouts but not entirely unpleasant. To date this is probably my least favorite Sierra Nevada beer which came as a surprise to me because I am usually a big fan of theirs. I will not be buying again.

03-22-2010 19:40:03 | More by hopsbreath
DM1293

2.98/5  rDev -27%

You're joking me.

Okay. It looks like a stout, kind of. Dark brown. Pours pretty thin. Smells pretty light. Tastes...pretty damn light. The most lightly roasted of malts. Maybe a touch of chocolate there. Its like....how to describe it...its like a stout if you diluted it, but still made it drinkable. Its like the adjunct lager of stouts.

Granted that still makes it a slightly better drink in some regards, but...when I think stout I think something big, bold, rich malt and coffee and chocolate notes (in whatever order in whatever intensity).

If you're used to RIS or stouts in general, this one will probably disappoint. On its own merits...meh. Its alright. Its drinkable, nothing imposing, but still comes off as a hybrid of stout and cheap beer. And if thats your kind of beer, power to you. Me, I was really hoping for something richer or at the very least, having a sturdier mouthfeel. Not recommended.

04-28-2012 04:21:52 | More by DM1293
Mitchster

Brewed with Two-row Pale, Munich, Caramel & Black patent malts. Hopped with Magnum for bittering, finishing with Cascade/Willamette. 5.8% ABV, OG=15.4p, FG=5.0p, 50 IBU.

Nearly black, with ruby highlights forming a firm, whipped-egg consistency, light-tan head with nice head retention, perched atop small to medium-sized bubbles and moderate carbonation. Lacing is just adequate. Aroma is rich with sharply fruity cascade hops, dark coffee, and deeply roasted grains. Mouthfeel is initially medium-soft with a medium-dense body and then a harsh finish. Taste starts out with dark coffee, then gives way to a ton of Cascade flavor hops, a brief, subtle alcoholic note, some more Cascade, and then finishing with a long, dry, and harsh black patent/roasted barley character with mildly astringent, yet potently bitter hops. The hops become more pronounced with subsequent sips, and the malts become a tad sweeter as it warms. Completely out-of-balance with itself...the potential for complementary flavors is high, but instead succumbs to cacophony. Acrid, over-hopped, and over-roasted to be pleasant. Next beer, please.

03-03-2003 18:56:26 | More by Mitchster
maddamish

Tennessee

I am a stout lover and this beer was more of a pale ale in disguise of a stout. Don't get me wrong, it was good pale ale but not what I was expecting from the style. If hops are your thing then this stout has them in spades.

This is not an average beer but it is for the style so my review reflects that. When I want a hop attack I will go for a hop devil or something similar. But I like my stouts to be a bit more balanced than this.

01-03-2006 15:14:15 | More by maddamish
BigB415

There's not much I can say about this beer other than it's average. Nothing really stood out for me while drinking it. It poured a nice color and had a nice foamy head, the retention was also very high when I swirled it around in my glass to bring out more flavor but the thing is, to me, there is not a lot of flavor. I had higher hopes for this beer but it fell a little short. It wasn't that complex. I also did taste some hops which is not common for stouts so that kind of turned me off a little. Stouts are my favorite kind of beer and I would recommend this one for a beginner just getting into stouts since most stouts can be overpowering with their taste and character but not for a regular stout drinker like myself.

10-27-2010 22:50:53 | More by BigB415
Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.