Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,388 | Hads: 3,195
2.76/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a Stout to my taste buds. Maybe a winter warnmer, dark ale, or something else, but there was not much stout about this beer.

Having said that, did I like the beer? Wasn't bad, but I would not get it again.

Appearance: Dark brown but see through. Half finger head that was gone quick

Smell: Malty and Grainy, and good blast of noble hops. There was some complexity to the malts, but overshadowed by the aroma hops.

Taste: Light Malt start with grassy overtones from the aroma hops. Hop flavors take over and a bitter end. There are some coffee and chocolate flavors there, but not enough Malt flavor for the style.

Mouthfeel: On the light side for a stout.

Drinkability: Not hard to drink, and if you like a hoppy darker beer, this is not bad.

2.81/5  rDev -31%

12 oz bottle

My buddies brought this one over today, im a big fan of a lot of Sierra Nevada beers but once again the Stout disappoints me. It pours a dark brown, almost black color with a big brown head. Very malty nose with a bit of smoke and charcoal. It tastes pretty much the same way, very malty, smokey with a very dry bitter finish. The after taste is funky and stale tasting. Its mouth feel is its main down point, over carbonated and extra thick and grainy. I'd avoid this one, there are better domestic 'session' stouts out there.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours out a charcoal mud water with one inch of multi bubble head with a custard color...

Mild roasted malts and a hint of juniper kind of weak in smell.

Toasted cereal grains and roasted malts, a pinch of hops, light cocoa powder, and its quite the expected taste, in a agreeable way.

light bodied, stringent and soapy, small carbonation.

It is drinkable, however I expect a lot larger and more prominent palate out of my Stouts. Just too uncomplicated.

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

I was completely disappointed with this beer. Having tasted the Sierra Nevada Porter I had high expectations for this beer, and was frustrated by what I got.

Appearance: Very dark color, no light passed through at all. The head was a solid three fingers, tan in color, and very bubbly as apposed to the creamy head one would expect from a stout.

Smell: Intense hop smell, citrus was over powering for a stout.

Taste: The first thing that hits you is the intense hop flavor, followed by a distant second of roasted malt. Other flavors are masked by the hoppiness of the beer.

Mouth Feel: This beer was far thinner than I had expected. It has less mouth-feel than their porter.

Drinkability: As a stout it is something to have once and a while but is not a session beer (for me).

Again completely disappointed. I love their porter, but his was completely over hopped for the style. The reason people drink stouts and porters are for the maltiness of them not the hops. If I wanted and IPA I would have drank one.

2.89/5  rDev -29%

Pours black with a thumbs width mocha head and decent lacing. Maybe this is an old bottle but aroma and flavor was largely lacking; some roasted barley, cocoa, and maybe a touch of smoke. A crisp, not quite medium bodied to this. Overall, an alright beer. Enjoyable enough to drink but nothing that has me needing to go out of my way to drink it again.

2.89/5  rDev -29%

Even for a semi-sessionable stout, this just isn't all that great

A-dark brown, with a decent cream colored head

S-some mocha but fairly hoppy, creamy but mild

T-hits with a good amount of dark roasted coffee beans that are quite creamy. not as bitter as i expected. leaves with dark roasted malts.

M-medium carbonation that is a bit tangy. dry finish

D-develops a creamy tanginess that i find undesirable. alcohol, of course, doesn't come in to play which is nice for a stout, but still...i couldn't drink a lot of this.

2.92/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured into pint glass on 9/21/06.

A: Pours a near-black that only shows dark brown when held up to the light. Thick, fluffy head after a careful pour. Great retention.

S: Very, very mild. Almost non-existent aroma. Very faint roastiness, very faint floral hop presence.

T: Luckily, it has more flavor than the nose suggests. Roasted coffee bean up front, hint of dark chocolate. Finish is lightly bitter and earthy with a rather abrupt smoky trail.

M: Creamy.

D: It's easy to drink, but as stouts go, this was a dud for me. It's not very stout, and I found the porter to be the superior beer of the two. I'll revisit it in a few months, but I won't be counting down the days until I do. I found this to be a really bland beer.

2.93/5  rDev -28%

A - the foam is nice and large and long lasting, but the brew looked Luke a cherry cola.

S - the scent is rather strong and different than I expected.

T - it is a little to bitter for me. The flavor seems to only hit the front of the mouth. It seems to vanish by the time it get to the back of the mouth.

M - while the flavor leaves a little yo be desired, the brew nicely coats the whole mouth.

D - while it feels nice, the flavor would keep my hand moving down the shelf.

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

Went through a six pack of these when I was in Oregon a couple weeks back. The review is from notes I took at that time.

Appearance is dark brown with a thin quickly dissipating 1 finger of head.

Smell is of a little biscuit, coffee, and roasted malts. Just what a stout should be.

Taste is OK. Hops upfront, dark grains in the middle, and bitter hops finish.

The mouthfeel was prickly and carbonated. One of my personal negatives in regard to stouts.

Drinkability was so-so and I was able to polish the whole six pack off over the span of a week.

I originally bought this beer as a way to "set my palette" for bigger stouts. The flavors were hoppier that what is more of the norm for today's stouts but not entirely unpleasant. To date this is probably my least favorite Sierra Nevada beer which came as a surprise to me because I am usually a big fan of theirs. I will not be buying again.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally grabbed this puppy. Been looking at it in the store for awhile but I generally like my stouts to be friggin huge with 10+% ABV. At 5.8, this little guy should still be worth a try.

Pours out a coffee/cola shade of brown but looks quite black in the glass. Generous light mocha head. Very inviting.

Smell is mostly a light roasted coffee malt kinda thing with a subtle hop undertone. Again with the inviting.

Tastes seems a bit off to me. Starts with some bitter coffee, then continues with some bitter coffee. Burnt malt, burnt coffee, toasted, roasted whatever. The hop backing seems to conflict instead of balance. Then again I'm just some podunk drunk trying to have a beer here.

Fairly full bodied, carbonation is generous and pleasing, but I'm not getting very excited.

I'm a fan of Sierra Nevada for sure but this one is a miss for me.

Overall: won't be purchasing again.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%

This particular stout is acceptable, but it's not THAT good. I'm a little amazed to see so many "A" reviews. It's tolerable, and I'll drink the entire six-pack I bought, but I won't be buying it again. In my opinion, they went a little overboard with the hops. This has been the case with every Sierra Nevada brew I've tried, irrespective of style. I don't think of stouts as being this "hoppy," so it was not what I expected, to say the least.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of the bottle dark with a little light showing through.Smells good coffee like. However in the taste department im not impressed. Leaves a bitter taste i cant point out but not desirable.Mouthfeel is thin,,its drinkable but doesnt have much of a place in my fridge.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

You're joking me.

Okay. It looks like a stout, kind of. Dark brown. Pours pretty thin. Smells pretty light. Tastes...pretty damn light. The most lightly roasted of malts. Maybe a touch of chocolate there. Its like....how to describe it...its like a stout if you diluted it, but still made it drinkable. Its like the adjunct lager of stouts.

Granted that still makes it a slightly better drink in some regards, but...when I think stout I think something big, bold, rich malt and coffee and chocolate notes (in whatever order in whatever intensity).

If you're used to RIS or stouts in general, this one will probably disappoint. On its own merits...meh. Its alright. Its drinkable, nothing imposing, but still comes off as a hybrid of stout and cheap beer. And if thats your kind of beer, power to you. Me, I was really hoping for something richer or at the very least, having a sturdier mouthfeel. Not recommended.

There's not much I can say about this beer other than it's average. Nothing really stood out for me while drinking it. It poured a nice color and had a nice foamy head, the retention was also very high when I swirled it around in my glass to bring out more flavor but the thing is, to me, there is not a lot of flavor. I had higher hopes for this beer but it fell a little short. It wasn't that complex. I also did taste some hops which is not common for stouts so that kind of turned me off a little. Stouts are my favorite kind of beer and I would recommend this one for a beginner just getting into stouts since most stouts can be overpowering with their taste and character but not for a regular stout drinker like myself.

I am a stout lover and this beer was more of a pale ale in disguise of a stout. Don't get me wrong, it was good pale ale but not what I was expecting from the style. If hops are your thing then this stout has them in spades.

This is not an average beer but it is for the style so my review reflects that. When I want a hop attack I will go for a hop devil or something similar. But I like my stouts to be a bit more balanced than this.

3.02/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a rich brown and tan frothy head.
Smell is chocolate with some burnt coffee tones and burnt bread crust smell as well.
Taste was rather basic and watery. Has a Light sweetness to it that fades quickly to a bitter aftertaste and slight dryness.
Compared to the smell the taste didnt stand up to what I thought it should. Nor did that mouthfeel.

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

It looks like a stout, but doesn't really taste like one. I was expecting a roasted malt/choc aroma, but it ended up being more hoppy. The palate was the same. Slight roasted malt at the start, but it grapefruits out too much (hops), particularly for a stout. I guess it kind of worked, but the ingredients (roasted malt and grapefruity hops) didn't quite blend together. Not really a good example of a stout, but tasty all the same.

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

A - pours a pretty ruddy red-beige head one finger high and moderately dense. Color is nearly opaque mahogany brown.clarity seems high.

S - sweety brown sugar cyrstal forest with roasted barley and a touch of leathery hop. Pleasant.

T - harsh minty spruce and rye.

M - loose watery and astringent gin burn.

D - not bad. Color and smell good. Taste not so much

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Dark cherrywood color that poured out with a short lived brown head. Flavors of roasted grain, hops and alcohol, with hints of herbs and coffee. Finished with a touch of bitterness and malt. Far more drinkable than the pale ale, which I am not a big fan of. Worth a try.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Brewed with Two-row Pale, Munich, Caramel & Black patent malts. Hopped with Magnum for bittering, finishing with Cascade/Willamette. 5.8% ABV, OG=15.4p, FG=5.0p, 50 IBU.

Nearly black, with ruby highlights forming a firm, whipped-egg consistency, light-tan head with nice head retention, perched atop small to medium-sized bubbles and moderate carbonation. Lacing is just adequate. Aroma is rich with sharply fruity cascade hops, dark coffee, and deeply roasted grains. Mouthfeel is initially medium-soft with a medium-dense body and then a harsh finish. Taste starts out with dark coffee, then gives way to a ton of Cascade flavor hops, a brief, subtle alcoholic note, some more Cascade, and then finishing with a long, dry, and harsh black patent/roasted barley character with mildly astringent, yet potently bitter hops. The hops become more pronounced with subsequent sips, and the malts become a tad sweeter as it warms. Completely out-of-balance with itself...the potential for complementary flavors is high, but instead succumbs to cacophony. Acrid, over-hopped, and over-roasted to be pleasant. Next beer, please.

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

Dark mahogany to black in appearance, with hints of Ruby red on the edges when held to the light. Only a little head. Smells of milky oats with a hint of dark chocolate, although I've no idea if oats are used in the recipe. Taste has hints of dark chocolate and coffee but honestly, they are subdued. There's a dry, bitterness in the finish.

Overall I have to admit this is a somewhat
disappointing stout from Sierra Nevada; I've had plenty of much nicer stouts. It isn't unpleasant, simply underwhelming.

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: Pours a black body, with a large, ivory-colored head. Splotchy lacing on the way down.

Smell: Smoky, burnt maltiness with lesser notes of unsweetened chocolate, caramel, and citrus.

Taste: Black malts with tastes of scorched grain, baker's chocolate, and dark caramel. As with their porter, there's not much sweetness to go around. Hint of licorice. Earthy, citrusy hop character with a medium bitterness. Finishes just as dry and roasty as one would expect.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not all too dissimilar from the porter, really, it's just got a dialed up roast component. So, if you dug the porter, you should dig the stout. If you didn't dig the porter, well...

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

12oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Free pour yields a two inch offwhite head that dissipates slowly leaving a large ring of lacing. Pours an almost black redbrown, and leaves spots of lacing.

Smell: Lots of c-hops from bottle and in the glass. Mild roasted malt comes out with more warmth, and strikes an okay balance with the persistent hops.

Taste: Nutty roasted malt up front that quickly becomes heavy characterless bitterness, I'm assuming from both the malt and the hops. Some hops fade in and out of the flavor, and there's a creamy coffee aftertaste. More roasted malt flavors emerge, but the hop flavor is getting in the way rather than marrying with them. Hops seem to be imparting a real soapiness that is not pleasant.

The overall impression is that the beer is too bitter without flavor to back it up (it feels like the flavor is drained somehow, the impression of which is only exacerbated by the watery mouthfeel), with a soapiness that has no business being in a stout.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Watery. Decent carbonation.

Overall: I don't mind a bitter stout, from hops, malt, chocolate, or whatever. I don't mind a hoppy stout. However, this beer seemed to be a strange combination of flavors that just don't work together. I finished it, but I wouldn't want another.

This beer is a headscratcher for me. Sierra Nevada is world class, and I love a lot of what they do. It's rated higher than I'd expect from tasting it, but more importantly it tastes worse than I'd expect from who made it. There's a slim possibility I'll pick up another bottle sometime to rereview on the strength of their other beers, but as is I was very unimpressed.

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

I drank a fair amount of craft beer in the mid-1990's...then (like a lot of people) I stopped drinking it for a few years, and then started again in the early 2000s. And between these two periods of craft beer growth, there seems to be a marked difference in the types of beers that are popular. This beer strikes me as one that would've been exotic in the first craft beer explosion, but seems downright boring to me in the second (and current) expansion.

Pours a thin dark brown. Aroma is very faint, with a hint of smoke and a touch of roastiness. Flavor offers a bit of roastiness, but is also extremely mild. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery. This is not a beer to get real worked up about.

I would weakly recommend this beer.

I bought this bottle at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

Center poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass. Had to stop mid pour or the head would have spilled out over the counter. Dark brown with a massive light tan head.

Smells pretty good, however the hops are too prominent. Nice taste with the same feeling about the amount of hops present in a stout.

This beer is a little too watery for the style.

Not a bad beer, I wouldn't turn it down but I won't buy it again, too many others taste better.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.