Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,375 | Hads: 3,128
4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

Another excellent offering from Sierra Nevada. Just recently got interested in this brewery once I learned its history. Before that I had stupidly assumed it was no good because its widely available and comes in screw top bottles.

Quite possible my new favorite stout. None of the thin watery no taste you sometimes get with Guiness. Would love to try it out of a hand drawn tap or a nitro can.
Pours a true black with minimal head. Again maybe due to less than ideally clean glassware. Enough malt flavor to compliment rather than overwelm the characteristic stout roasted malt bitterness. Hints of hop flavor as well, quite apprcieated in a stout.

Not your over the top big beer or ultra flavorful micro style buster, but a great session beer. Something I know I could enjoy drinking all night long.
Note: if all my reviews seem to be coming in about the same, its because I don't bother to review beers I don't really enjoy, and I have a very hard time giving fives to any beer no matter how good. I want to believe something better can always be created. (1,069 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark brown beer with a disappearing tan head; some red highlights when held to the light

S- A touch of coffee and chocolate, with a bit of spice in the background

T- Coffee bitterness combined with some malt sweetness; taste is a bit lighter than expected, but quite good; finish is bitterness with a touch of roast.

MF- moderate feel between smooth and clean

D- Not first on my stout list, but I'll have it again. (421 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

A: 5 - Looks like a nice, black stout :) About a finger of head, didn't retain.

S: 4.3 - Very malty on the nose with some chocolate notes. There is also a very faint hop presence on the nose. A wonderful smelling beer!

T: 4.25 - I, to my surprise, really pick up on the hops. It's a very nice touch! I pick up a little more on some dark chocolate as well. A hint of coffee as well as malt. Tasty!

M: 3.75 - Again, not the smoothest beer I've ever had though still highly drinkable. Medium body.

O: 4.32 - Overall a very nice stout! For personal preference, I could use a little less of the hop presence, but it's still a great old school stout. (650 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Golden State Goodness
Black Winter Night Black Stout Night
Wait For The Spring Thaw

A surprisingly good stout. The hops meet the coffee and make for an excellent beer. It isn' quite as dark as I prefer but just about thick enough. Luckily, the bizarro grocery store near my house keeps a steady supply of this stuff. This is and the brown ale are my favorites from Sierra Nevada. (384 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

What can I say. I've been drinking their Pale Ale for years. My daughter told me to try this stuff. All I can say is that I love it. Great tan head which sticks around the whole time. Dark, hoppy, and bitter. The malts kick in with toasty flavor. Now on my regular beer stop list. I always have a case in the fridge. To sum it up, these guys hit one out of the park with this one. (380 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

I really like Sierra Nevada stout-- it's a wonderful beer at a good cost. That said, something seems off about the glass I'm drinking right now. It almost has a sesame oil aftertaste, and I am not a sesame oil fan. Everything else about the beer, from its dark, opaque color and tan head to its smooth drinkability, is wonderful. It has just enough bitterness balanced by the right level of sweetness to make me very, very happy. I'm just glad this isn't the first bottle I've ever had, because the sesame oil flavor is really getting to me. Let's chalk it up to not cleaning my glass thoroughly (or something) and move on with giving this beer the good review it deserves. (673 characters)

stout is a good name for this beer that it is. pours thick and is almost black in appearance. has a nice thick creamy head that retains well and sticks to the side of the glass.so thick you could almost chew it.nice taste of roasted malts and chocolate.dont start your lite beer drinking freinds out on this one.this is one i will drink again. (343 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

12 oz bottle poured on Easter Sunday with my meal. Pours a deep dark brown with a nice foam tan head. It smells of roasted malts, and a citrusy hop aroma is in there as well. Smells a bit hoppy for a stout. This was my complaint on the taste as well. It tastes too bitter and hoppy for me. I know SN loves their hops, but I feel they over do the bitterness on a lot of their beers. I wasn't a big fan of it here in this stout. Not bad, but definitely not the best. Mouthfeel is fine. Drinkability? I probably won't buy this again. There are way too many better stouts out there. (578 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

This is a solid stout. The dark malt characters are exceptional - roasty and deep. Evolving complexity. I enjoy the malt so much that I wish the hops weren't as heavy in the flavor. For me, it's too much hop flavor for a stout but that malt flavor keeps me drinking. It's definitely a solid pick - it may he the best year-round, available stout in its pleasingly low price point. (379 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This brew pours a decadent deep mahogany, with very faint ruby highlights. A medium pour produces a nice one finger chocolate milk colored head and lace clings quite nicely all over the glass. Smell is light and fluffy, with floral hints, biscuit, and dark chocolate. The mouthfeel is heavy and thick like a good stout should be. Taste is quite robust and all bitter chocolate and black coffee. Only if your seriously looking for it can you find any semblance of sweetness in this bad boy. Hops are mild but very pleasant on the tongue after the all that roasted coffee flavor.

Overall, it's just very well balanced, strong, and quite complex in the best way. Very flavorful and doesn't have that stale alcohol taste that alot of stouts have. To me that's a good thing. I definitely recommend this beer as an excellent first stout for anybody that's curious about the style, and a good solid session beer as well. One of my very favorite stouts so far. Clearly a very underrated brew. (988 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -4.4%

Paired with leftover Italian food and 311's self titled album.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours black with ruby hues and a stick 3 finger head. Heavy lacing. Good head retention once it settles to a quarter inch cap.
All chocolate in the nose.
Balanced chocolate and roasted coffee flavors with moderate hop bitterness.Creamy mouthfeel with a slight tingle on the tounge.
An exceptional stout given the price and availability. Sierra Nevada scores again. Not incredibly complex, but it doesn't need to be. An easy drinking, kick back and relax stout. (556 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured this beer into a pint glass. The Body is very dark, close to black. Great foamy creamy head, close to about 1 and half inches. Aroma smells of roasted malts and british chocolate. This stout taste superb. Tons of roast malt character with a hint of chocolate and I think I taste some caramel grains. Nice inviting warm mouthfeel. The head retention is very nice and leaves good foam rings on the glass. Overall this is very good stout, definitely impressed by Sierra Nevadas attempt at this classic style. I only wish it had a higher ABV. (545 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A - opaque brown/black with a nice thick, fluffy tan head that has some staying power

S - full roasty aroma with notes of dark chocolate and caramel

T - fully bodied roasty flavors combined with a full coffee taste and hints of chocolate

M - very smooth with a medium to full bodied mouthfeel and a moderate amount of carbonation

D - one of my favorite stouts and a great sessionable dark beer; great for black and tans when paired with a nice bitter ale (459 characters)

Pouring this baby into my Murphy's Irish Stout Tulip Glass.

A: Pours black with nice brownish ruby highlights with a tan brown fluffy head on it.

S: I'm getting sweet malts, fruit, dark chocolate, roasted malts. Smelling nice right now, loving how the dark chocolate seems to sneak up on your sense of smell.

T: You get the roasted malts up front with a dash of dark chocolate, sweet malts then finishes bitter with a smooth hop twang. Liking this one alot. Extremely balance here.

M: I would say medium, dead on medium not full not light just medium mouthfeel here with a nice roasted drying in the mouth as well.

D: Very drinkable goes down, and goes down easy. This is a style of beer I think is getting pasted up by the bigger badder Russian imperials. More brewers should take note here a good bit of balance can go along way.

Can't believe I've been passing on this one all these years. Note to self everything sierra Nevada does is world class. (957 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

This is the best Stout I've ever had, bar none.

It's dark, black with a beautiful tan head. Also excellent lacing. It's so pretty that it's almost a shame to drink it.

Smells like coffee and roasted malts.

Tastes like coffee, roasted malts and a hint of dark chocolate. Also a bit smokey.

Medium body and carbonation. A little creamy and very smooth. Also a bit of hop bitterness.

I am very impressed! This stuff is the real deal. It puts Guinness Draught. to shame. (471 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into BSB wine glass. Very dark brown, just not quite black. Tan head with large bubbles in it, settles moderately quickly. When pouring this beer appeared bright but is opaque in the glass.
Aroma is quite chocolatey and faintly sweet. Fruity, more like hops than yeast, but not exactly citrusy, maybe sweet cherry or strawberry or artificial "red" flavor.
The most dominant flavor is bitterness, but this is well balanced with toasty, very slightly smoky, chocolate. A fruity, light roasted coffee presence comes through as well. Sweetness is relatively low, finishing somewhat dry and lightly bitter. The sweetness begins to come through as it warms, eventually leaving A coating on the tongue of sticky dark caramel. This is only a moderate sensation however.
Carbonation is relatively high and breaks on the tongue before any flavor sensations are perceived. This rounds off revealing a medium-full body, just flirting with chewiness. Slightly astringent from the hops. Alcohol is noticeably warming but blends in nicely.
This is a very nice, balanced American stout. Hop bitterness is very present but balanced with a nice toasty sweetness. I would take this over many other stouts and would be able to handle one or two more, which gives a fairly high drinkability score in my book. (1,295 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

This is something I have been meaning to review and just got around to it now.

Appearance is typical of American black ales or stouts.
The smell on this stout is incredible, very strong chocolate and caramel scents coming through along with a roasted nutty/oaty scent.
Taste is clean and full of flavor. First thing to hit me is the strong chocolate, then comes the caramel and finally the roasted oats hits with the hoppyness brought in to. I can also taste a bit of coffee flavor although to me it is not present in the scent. Very nice drinking stout that is well balanced, more balanced then some "high" end stouts that you can pay $10 a bottle for. At $8 a six pack this is a great deal and well worth every penny.
Overall I would highly reccomend this stout to anyone interested in trying it. Sierra nevada is a big name but puts out small brewery taste at an affordable price.

ENJOY!!!! (899 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Time to review a favorite of mine.
A- Poured into a tulip, This beer has a 1 finger head which fades to a lacy foam cover. The body appears to be pitch black (no light is coming through at all.
S- Smells of earthy hops and hearty coffee. A sweet malty smell is hinted as well, sort of a caramel pillow
T- Deep maltyness and some roasted coffee. The earthy hops dominate the aftertaste. Some nutty yeast in there as well.
M- This stout has terrific mouth feel. Solid bodied with a strong carbonation to liven things up.
O- One of the best stouts around. (555 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

It pours black with a nice thick creamy head that dissipates fairly slowly.

The are some definite roasty malts in the nose, and a beautiful smell of some sweet fruitiness through that is balanced with a dash of hops giving it a very refreshing aroma.

It opens with some sweet molasses notes, and holds with with a very subdued fruitiness throughout. The roastiness really comes through towards the end, and the hops remain there to balance it and linger on for quite a while afterwards. A very flavorful stout.

The medium body of this beer is a bit dissapointing. I was hoping for something a bit more full, though it still is representative of the style and not at all unpleasant.

It is a drinkable, very good stout. It doesn't wow me, but it doesn't dissapoint. (769 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Black coffee, with garnet fringes. Leaves caramel-colored head that supplies generous lacing to sides of glass. What more can you ask for?

Smell: Dark fruit, toasted bread, and black molasses.

Taste: Starts off with a roasted malt. Half-way through the quaff, loads of burnt toast and some nutty flavors and earthiness show up. The aftertaste is very roasted nut. Plenty of hop bitterness noted. I didn't detect any chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Pretty crisp. Not as "chewy" as I expected. Carbonation is noticeable, but not overly so.

Drinkability: A drink to sip and not guzzle.

Comments: This is not a beverage that I would want every day. Maybe too much of a burnt taste for me. (711 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark brown with a tan head, good retention

S: Smells of roasted barley, a little hop smell in there too almost like an ale hop smell

T: Has a little bit more bitterness than expected and never got the sweetness as described on the bottle

M: has overall good mouthfeel with not too much lingoring after taste

O: Overall was a good stout with a little more hop bitterness than i anticipated. (397 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -24.8%

Dark mahogany to black in appearance, with hints of Ruby red on the edges when held to the light. Only a little head. Smells of milky oats with a hint of dark chocolate, although I've no idea if oats are used in the recipe. Taste has hints of dark chocolate and coffee but honestly, they are subdued. There's a dry, bitterness in the finish.

Overall I have to admit this is a somewhat
disappointing stout from Sierra Nevada; I've had plenty of much nicer stouts. It isn't unpleasant, simply underwhelming. (508 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Almost completely opaque, except for a slight tinge of dark scarlet at the bottom of the glass. Otherwise jet black. Pours and absolutely enormous and fluffy 3-3.5 finger tan head that is very creamy. Head retention was extremely impressive.

S- Roasted malt and dark chocolate are the dominant aromas and are rather pleasant. There is also a subtle roasted coffee and smokiness as well, but unfortunately they are largely overpowered by the malt and dark chocolate.

T- Taste is quite representative of the nose, but thankfully with more balance between the roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee and smokiness. Hop bitterness is present but takes a back seat. Finished with a slight and pleseant sweetness for me.

M- Medium-full bodied to me with just the right amount of carbonation. Has a nice creamy feel to it.

O- A really drinkable stout and a really fantastic example of the style. If you are unfamiliar with stouts this one would be a great introduction. Also, don't let the 50 IBUs scare you as it really does not taste nearly that bitter to me, and I am not one that usually takes to more bitter beers. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. (1,186 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The color of this Stout is of espresso with a nice mocha head. The roasted malts give this stout an almost licorice scent with a faint hop aroma in the background.
The charred oak flavor gives this a great smokiness. The hop flavors aren't noticeable in this stout.
This would pair well with BBQ, Burgers, or any other grilled red meat. This isn't for the average beer drinker. (379 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

A dark stout poured into a pub glass from a bottle. Great smell, a coffee type aroma. Seemed bitter at first, but after that, very smooth with the back taste of a bold coffee. Light carbonation leads this to be a great beer. I like this better than Guinness personally. (269 characters)

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.