Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
poundboy

Vermont

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Another excellent offering from Sierra Nevada. Just recently got interested in this brewery once I learned its history. Before that I had stupidly assumed it was no good because its widely available and comes in screw top bottles.

Quite possible my new favorite stout. None of the thin watery no taste you sometimes get with Guiness. Would love to try it out of a hand drawn tap or a nitro can.
Pours a true black with minimal head. Again maybe due to less than ideally clean glassware. Enough malt flavor to compliment rather than overwelm the characteristic stout roasted malt bitterness. Hints of hop flavor as well, quite apprcieated in a stout.

Not your over the top big beer or ultra flavorful micro style buster, but a great session beer. Something I know I could enjoy drinking all night long.
Note: if all my reviews seem to be coming in about the same, its because I don't bother to review beers I don't really enjoy, and I have a very hard time giving fives to any beer no matter how good. I want to believe something better can always be created.

10-15-2004 23:24:23 | More by poundboy
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz. twist off capped bottle. Bottling code is 3273 ( Nov. 2003 )Pours black with a slight brown head. Has a nutty, roasted grain smell. Full bodied with a smooth, rich mouthfeel. Taste is of blackened malts, roasted nuts, and espresso coffee. Finishes with a long, dry espresso taste in the throat.

A classic stout.

10-11-2004 02:40:18 | More by beerceller99
mntlover

Tennessee

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark black red brown tints around edges nice fluffy brwo head that leaves nice lacing. Smells creamy dark roasted malts light coffee exprsso flavors. Taste is nice hardy roasted malt, light coffee flavors light bitterness complemented by small dosage of hops. Overall a nice solid oldfashion American stout nothing extraordinary just plain old creamy goodness. Mouthfeel is good smooth and creamy niceness. Drinkability is good been a while since my last Sierra Stout will not wait as long again.

10-05-2004 22:21:56 | More by mntlover
proc

I am suprised I haven't rated this one to date. The only reason I grabbed this is my six year old son said, "Daddy, you always get the green one (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). Get the yellow (Porter) and blue (Stout) this time. Who am I to argue with him?

Pours out to a dark black in the glass with a minimum head. Aroma is that of a light, roasted malt and coffee. The taste is quite good, with afforementioned roasted malt coming to the forefront, but it isn't overbearing. This is a very, easy to drink stout and would be a good one, after say, Guinness/Murphy's/Beamish, to introduce a non-stout drinker to the world of darker beers.

Sierra Nevada continues to impress.

10-04-2004 01:33:09 | More by proc
skybluewater

Pours a very deep black, with a bit of mohagany if I hold my glass up to the light. Some lacing, but not much. Smells a bit funky, dark chocolate and puddle water (hey, I'm trying). Taste is very bitter, like an espresso, with a touch of chocolate there, but not nearly as much (nor as sweet) as you'd get with an Imperial Stout.

All in all, this is a very solid stout.

09-22-2004 20:12:38 | More by skybluewater
bigbeerdrinka

Germany

Pours a deep dark black color with a strong carbonation that creates a large fluffy offwhite head. Aromas are very malty and roasty with hints of coffee and a slight slight hop. Flavors start off very robust and roasty, with a slight astringency but a nice tone. There's a bit of smoke present in the brew, but very hidden behind a nice backing bittersweet chocolte, and some coffee flavors. This beer finishes creamy with a slight roast finish and a well pronounced hop character and bitterness. Overall a great example of a stout by the company that got me started into good beer.

09-19-2004 00:00:20 | More by bigbeerdrinka
orbitalr0x

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours from the stubby brown bottle a beautiful opaque black with a nice 1 inch tan head. Just the way a good stout should look. The smell is of roasted malts and hops. Some caramel and light coffee tones are present. The aroma is wonderful and begs you to indulge. The first sip brings a wonderfully toasted malt flavor along with some coffee notes as well. The hops are definetly there on the palate as well...bringing this stout together in a sublime fashion. It's just a damn fine, tasty american stout...no bones about it. Mouthfeel is great...rich and full bodied. This one will fill yer belly. As far as drinkability...I dunno if I'd have more than a few of these...but I'd say that about the style in general. This is a great beer that I'm sure I'll revisit time and time again. Also, it leaves some very nice lacing patterns on my pint glass as well.

09-09-2004 01:13:31 | More by orbitalr0x
afinepilsner

Iowa

12 oz brown bottle
This beer is black in color with a tan head. There are faint red hues when held to a light. It has a decent head with thick lacing. It has a roasty nose. The taste is roasty with coffee and chocolate notes. This beer has a medium to full body with good carbonation. A great stout that would be a good session beer.

09-05-2004 04:30:23 | More by afinepilsner
Beaver13

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

The SN Stout pours an almost opaque black with deep ruby highlights. It has a frothy clingy tan head that goes to a collar and displays a ton of lacing.

Its aroma is appealing as well - figs, chocolate, roasted malts with some bitter coffee notes.

The flavor is fruity figs, chocolate and vanilla up front, followed by a strong metallic, almost chalky, bitterness that kind of rubs me the wrong way. It is thinner than I would expect yet leaves a sticky bitter residue.

Overall, this is a nice stout. If not for the off finish (to me at least), this would be a great one.

08-12-2004 06:42:28 | More by Beaver13
Turbohio

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours into a dark, nearly opaque appearance with tan head that quickly rises to a solid two fingers. Smell is mild, noticeable but not overwhelming. Nutty aroma complimented with the roast coffee typical with most stouts. Unfortunately there is a slight hint of acetone, that unforgettable acidic smell that is found in some of the cheaper stouts. Taste is roasted malt, lots of hops, coffee, chocolate, and maybe a little caramel (not carmel). Mouthfeel is okay. Lots of carbonation and effervescence for a stout, not very smooth. Drinkability is not really a word but in the case of this beer, where it is easy to quickly consume several in one sitting, that doesn’t seem to matter much.

Two of the best aspects of this beer is it’s price and availability. I’ve seen it compared to Rogue Shakespeare Stout, sold in this part of the world for $3+ per 22oz bomber. At $6.99 per six pack, which can be found in most major grocery stores year round, Sierra Nevada Stout earns it’s way into becoming a great micro-brew.

08-05-2004 03:02:56 | More by Turbohio
Ricochet

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Tried this for 6.49 a 6.

Appearence: Very good. Dark dark dark and very little head. Looked a little bit more watery than other stouts.

Smell: Strong , appetizing, chocolatey.

Mouthfeel: Very thick. The watery appearence does not mean it felt watery. Very good for a stout.

Drinkablity: High! Easy to have a few of these with/without dinner , but I see this best as a dessert beer, after lighter beers have come and gone.

Taste: Very good. I gave it a 4.0 because it is truly exceptional for a bottled stout. Very hoppy, chocolate was slight and nice rounded flavor.

08-03-2004 03:52:59 | More by Ricochet
sweethome

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

It has been a while since I've had a Sierra Stout - time to try one again:

Pours with a nice head, dissipates with an off-white lace.The nose is rich, with chocolate...but the Sierra hops are there too.

Taste is marvelous - full malty flavors I expect from a stout, but backed by hop zip that clears the palate while leaving a nice lingering malt roast/sweetness. Bready, but enough hops to know your drinking California beer.

Sierra is not a big chewy stout on the scale of Bells, but very tasty and drinkable.

08-02-2004 04:31:29 | More by sweethome
Ahhdball

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Big robust and black. Nice tan head topped it off nicely. A slight slick oily residue indicates some retention. As it hit my mouth the taste was a slight overwhelming at first but calmed into the following: Roasted nuts, molassas and a mild hint of chocolate. Although this has a mild aftertaste that has quite a longevity, I don't mind it at all. Great beer.

08-02-2004 02:48:39 | More by Ahhdball
malthead

3.58/5  rDev -12%

Great appearance - really black, with nice big grey head that dies gracefully. Smells of chocolate and coffee, with maybe a few other hints here and there. Taste is dominated by coffee, bittersweet chocolate... I do like a good roasted flavor, but this one seems a little too burnt to me, and I'm not entirely sure the hop presence works as well as it could. Strong coffee aftertaste. Very nice mouthfeel, dry with good carbonation to keep it interesting. Good drinkability, if it had slightly less of a bitter, burnt taste, this could be my perfect session beer.

07-23-2004 22:41:52 | More by malthead
Hibernator

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle served in a pint glass without a freshness date labeled.

The appearance is a full and complete black color. Nice 1 inch head with solid sustain.

In terms of scent and smell...I'm smelling coffee, chicory and sweet molasses.

This is a really nice and full beer. This stout has been a staple for me for many years. Some hop bitterness at times, but in moderation. The real flavor appears to be a caramel sweetness and a bold chocolate combo.

Another consistent offering from Sierra Nevada. Solid.

07-16-2004 23:14:52 | More by Hibernator
RedwoodGeorge

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: As one would expect from a stout - dark ebony with a thick tan head. The head broke up slowly leaving lots of lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Subtle for a stout but hits all the right notes. Coffee is the first note, followed by chocolate and a mild hit of citrus.

Taste: Excellent. Sharp without being bitter, this brew has a strong roasted taste that's very well balanced out by a soft malt note. The primary note is certainly coffee but there are nice touches of dark chocolate as well. There are also hints of molasses and a minor hop finish to this well rounded brew.

Mouthfeel: This stout has the uncanny ability to have a very solid mouthfeel without being heavy. Soft bubbles have a slight creamy feel that leaves a very clean palate.

Drinkability: More! More! More! One of the things I kept marveling at while drinking this was that with every swallow my very next instinct was to want another sip. The spot-on taste and the luxurious mouthfeel managed to be very satisfying without being heavy - an astounding trick for a stout.

07-05-2004 07:29:30 | More by RedwoodGeorge
nogoodreason

Missouri

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A solid stout. Nothing to write home about, but still quite enjoyable.

Appearance: Poors an extremely dark brown almost black.The smallish head, around 1/3 of an inch is a light brown. The head disapated in around a minute, I would've liked it to hang around for a while longer..

Smell: The smell of this beer is easily it's greatest attribute. Sweet, creamy scents are the first obvious smell, followed by dark chocolate and roasted coffee. Delightful. I could spend all day sniffing this beer.

Taste: At first a rich creamy flavor with some hints of chocolate. Coffee flavors appear and begin to dominate the other tastes. Finish is nice and long with plenty of coffee and dark chocolate flavor. The taste is strong, but not as bitter as a lot of stouts. I could see this being a good beer to introduce a person to stouts outside of Guiness.

Mouthfeel: The weakest part of the beer. It lacks the thickness and smoothness that I like in a stout. It's very thin and light. It fails to meet up to the expectations set by the smell.

Drinkability: Oddly enough, even though the mouthfeel wasn't what I wanted, I think it makes this beer much easier to drink. It's not as heavy in my stomach as most stouts and I could see polishing off a sixer with little trouble.

Over all, I was impressed by this beer. I'm probably in the minority, but I've never been a big fan of this brewery's other offerings. With that in mind, I was halfway expecting to dislike this beer. What a pleasant surprise it was to open it up and let that smell hit my nose. This will probably never be one of my favorites, but I will buy it and drink it again.

06-23-2004 13:43:09 | More by nogoodreason
mattcrill

4.03/5  rDev -1%

appearance: 12 oz. amber bottle with yellow Sierra Nevada label. Pours black/brown...looks like pouring a pot of coffee. A nice, foamy tan head.
Smell: I smell carmel, malt, and coffee. The smell begs me to drink this tasty looking brew
Mouthfeel: Very balanced! I love the roasted malts but just a splash of hoppiness and carbonation. Really tasty
Drinkability: This could be one of my all time favorite stouts. I think this would also do well for people who aren't stout fans. A classic to be sure.

06-12-2004 03:51:59 | More by mattcrill
usualpulp

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a dark black color with a thin tan head, that leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

The smell of the beer is very good, roasted malt is very noticeable, and a slight fruity smell is there.

The taste is great, very rich and complex. The malt is sweet, but not too sweet, and ever sip finishes with a nice hop bitterness.

This is one drinkable stout, its not too heavy like many of the ones I have had, but not too thin like others. I would have to say, next time I am in the mood for an american stout, this is the one I will reach for.

06-06-2004 23:55:19 | More by usualpulp
Onceeven

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

I was just thinking, I've yet to have a mediocre beer from this brewery. I know SN is easy to like but the five different brews I've tried are all top notch. Way to go.
This one pours the deepest imaginable sienna you can imagine without being black. Amber highlights flicker through the blackness now and then. Poured with a solid chunky head. Great looking beer.
This beer smells great with its sweet malty nose, subtle but acrid roasted notes and faint hops.
There's an upfront astringency when you first sip it but mellows out into a smooth chocolatey finish. Great beer, very drinkable. This could find a regular rotation in my fridge if I wasn't so intent on constantly trying new beers.

05-25-2004 05:16:26 | More by Onceeven
nortmand

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours with a good two-finger tan head atop a nearly black body. Head quickly settles to about a centimeter, where it stays throughout the rest of the glass. Nice sweet, roasted smell, very good to what I expect from a stout. The taste is immediately sweet with a rich middle and ends with a balanced hop bitterness on the back of the tongue. Very rounded mouthfeel, definitely balanced and rich. This is a beer that I could drink pint after pint of. Overall what I expect from Sierra Nevada, good beers made well to style, without much in the way of experimentation.

05-24-2004 02:26:47 | More by nortmand
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev -1%

This baby poured black as tar and had a very fluffy and thick cream head. Ulitmately the easiest way to describe the taste of this beer is to say it tastes exactly how a sierra nevada stout would taste. There is just some distinguishing flavor about this brewery. It has a very solid nut and burnt chocolate taste and a sharp bite at the end that is so familiar with SN. A wonderful stout with some west coast flare.

05-18-2004 00:32:24 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
Jacobob10

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours out extremely dark, almost pitch black, with a dark tan head. Good, balanced aroma, with roasted malts and a touch of spicy hops. Upon tasting, the roasted malts dominate. Yet, there is a noticable presence of hops that make it slightly bitter, which I guess can be expected from a West Coast brewer such as Sierra Nevada. This is thinner than stouts I have had in the past, but the drinkability is high.

All in all, an above average beer. I would recommend it, but there are better stouts out there.

05-13-2004 00:21:37 | More by Jacobob10
andyo

Poured a nice brown/ruby/black color, with a nice tan; frothy head. Tastes of coffee, nuts, and cocoa come through, followed by a roasted and subtle burnt flavor. The malts overpower the hop presence, although the hops are still distinctly present. Very balanced, not over-complex...very tasty. This is a good sipping beer, though after 2 or 3 I'd be done!

05-12-2004 00:30:09 | More by andyo
psyco1

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

It's pretty close to black and a tannish head, very good looking.
It smells of mainly chocolate, with some coffee roast and a bit of malt.
The chocolate comes out nicely in the taste mixed with the coffee/malt finishing up with a bit of hops.
I can really drink this, a very tasty stout.

05-10-2004 01:23:02 | More by psyco1
Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.