Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
JackStraw22

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer starts off well with it's apperance. Body of the beer is pretty much black, with a large, rich caramel colored head. Tons of lacing and very nice head retention. Can smell lots of chocolate and roasted malt, very sweet. Can taste the caramel malt and chocolate, with a pleasent bitter finish. There's a dry, smoky aftertaste that completes the taste nicely. Drinkability is wonderful; it's complex yet not overpowering. I love this beer.

01-10-2005 03:06:50 | More by JackStraw22
FormatKid

Tennessee

This beer is not available in my area for some reason and it makes me very sore. I’ve had it on tap before, and thought it was great. In fact I’m hoping to achieve this particular balance in my home-brewed stout. I dumped this one out into the appropriate Sierra Nevada pint glass. The body is black, with an off-white head that springs up rapidly and hangs around stoically. Although black, ruby-garnet hues can be seen when the beer is compared to light. Lacing leaves thick sheets down the pint glass. The nose is roasty and sweet with malts and esters, leafy pine aromas are sprinkled around the perimeter. The flavor is nice and roasty to the point of being biting, this is a good thing. Mild berry esters up front, blending in with burnt toffee and dark roasted coffee flavors, nice bitterness throughout and a mild piny hop flavors pop up here and there in the finish. Mouthfeel is good, I'd like it a teeny-tiny bit more robust though. A good stout, although my memories of this on tap are a lot better than this one tastes from the bottle.

01-03-2005 00:06:28 | More by FormatKid
mgdeth

Montana

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance - This beer is darn near black, with a thick tan head. I can see a ruby tint through the beer when I hold it up to the light. Good head retention.

Smell - Roasty/coffee smells dominate the aroma profile. I know hops are in there, but I cannot smell them. Since this is a stout, I am not too concerned.

Taste - The beer has a strong roasty flavor. It borders on being astringent, but pulls back and lets the hops take over. Hop flavor is subdued and just offsets the strong roasty/toasty flavors. All in all, the flavor is pretty outstanding.

Mouthfeel - This is a nice thick beer, and appropriately so. This ain't yer father's lite beer, son.

Drinkability - This is a good and gritty ale, but it invites you to keep sipping. The flavor and alcoholic strength are not overpowering in the least.

Comments - I'm sorry that I waited so long to try this beer. In the mood for a stout? Grab yourself a sixer (or more) of this beer. Sierra Nevada delivers again!

12-28-2004 04:23:18 | More by mgdeth
PossumJenkins

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

I sampled one of these this evening, and was pleasantly surprised. Appearance: Very very dark brown, as close to black as can be without actually being black. Off-white head was long-lasting and thick. Smell worried me a bit - quite metallic. Taste however, was excellent. Nothing particularly unusual or outstanding about it -- just seems like the way a good stout should taste, with plenty of coffee and nutty undertones. Mouthfeel: a bit on the thin side, but overall quite good. Drinkability - Excellent, for a stout. I could easily make this a session beer.

12-22-2004 23:49:28 | More by PossumJenkins
HochFliegen

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a rich brown and tan frothy head.
Smell is chocolate with some burnt coffee tones and burnt bread crust smell as well.
Taste was rather basic and watery. Has a Light sweetness to it that fades quickly to a bitter aftertaste and slight dryness.
Compared to the smell the taste didnt stand up to what I thought it should. Nor did that mouthfeel.

12-22-2004 06:17:23 | More by HochFliegen
beveragecaptain

4.15/5  rDev +2%

12 ounce bottle. Pours out nearly black with a one inch tan head. The aroma is chocolate and cream with some roastiness. Rich, roasted malt flavor. More chocolate flavor than I remember from previous tastings. The mouthfeel could be a little thicker. High level of carbonation. Good session stout from Sierra Nevada.

12-21-2004 00:21:17 | More by beveragecaptain
mynie

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark but not perfect. Nice head, but not perfect. Good lacing.

Smells like toasted malt sweetness. It smells like most other American stouts, only more crisp. I wish I could do the odor most justice in my description... It's a *sharp* scent. Different.

Tastes like toasted malt and not much else. Nice but uncomplicated. There's a bit of malt bitterness in the back which nicely balances out the burn-sugar sweetness up front, but this is hardly complex.

A bit thin for a stout, and it goes down smooth.

12-16-2004 05:13:33 | More by mynie
Gagnonsux

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

SN Stout pours almost pitch black, head is off-white and creamy. Aroma is of roasted malts and some dark chocolate. The smell isn't quite strong enough. Taste is a nicely balanced mixture of roasted flavor, hops bite, and dark chocolate. More creamy on the palate than I expected and definitely not as filling as I thought it'd be. This is one of the few stouts I've had so far and all I can think is how closely it resembles a porter. I really enjoyed this and now find myself motivated to seek out more stouts.

12-13-2004 02:11:29 | More by Gagnonsux
twelvsies

Maine

A very doable stout. Appearance is typical of the style, very dark brown, but not quote opaque black. Nice light brown head. Smell doesn't really jump out at you, but a hearty malt base makes itself known as does a musty hop smell. Tastes is nice and malty, with hints of chocolate and a dry hoppy backbone with a touch of bitterness. Smooth mouthfeel and certainly very drinkable for the style.

12-04-2004 05:58:43 | More by twelvsies
merlin48

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Can't believe I had never tried this one. Thanks to mtnlover for supplying a bottle to remedy my omission. This one pours a dark and opaque body with a small, creamy, tan head that retains very well and exhibits an enchanting garnet hue around the fringes. Patch lace coats the glass.
Aroma features the standard stout toasty and roasty dark malt characteristics of cocoa and coffee beans. A hint of figs and west coast hops add a solid note.
Mouthfeel is medium full bodied with moderate carbonation and a creamy smoothness.
The taste echoes the nice aroma, with cocoa and coffee beans, with a solid hops presence that is unusual for the style, but very nice. Dark fruits are suggested by figs and raisins, and there is a nuttiness that suggests walnuts. Finishes dry with a slight hops and roasted malt bitterness. Very nice!
This is not a very complex stout, just very solid and well constructed. Drinkability is excellent. Another solid offering from Sierra Nevada Brewing. Highly recommended for an American stout.

11-25-2004 11:43:43 | More by merlin48
tweeder263

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured out of the bottle dark with a little light showing through.Smells good coffee like. However in the taste department im not impressed. Leaves a bitter taste i cant point out but not desirable.Mouthfeel is thin,,its drinkable but doesnt have much of a place in my fridge.

11-09-2004 01:17:55 | More by tweeder263
santoslhalper

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a deep almost-black brown with a frothy, pillowy chocolate head. Semlls fabulous. Very deep and complex smelling. Great hints of cocoa and caramel. Tastes follows the smell with a nice, nearly overpowering chocolate flavor. A suprising amount of hops in the finish for a stout, but rounds it off great. Nice and creamy in the mouth. A good beer, but an even better session beer. Given it's "lower" potency, but with how thick and heavy it is, this is one I could drink all day. My first attempt at Sierra Nevada, and this one is a keeper.

10-27-2004 22:46:48 | More by santoslhalper
cudowninazbay

Oklahoma

3.38/5  rDev -17%

Pungent aroma with a pretty full mouth-feel.

Espresso overtones with classic stout characteristics.

Pretty easily drank, but I would be reluctant to drain an entire 6-pack because it does have a decent amount of alcohol.

Although there is no mention of the content on the label I'd say it's about 4.00 ABV just about the same a Guinness here in the states.

I'd probably not suggest this beer to someone because there are just so many better ones.

10-26-2004 03:18:15 | More by cudowninazbay
hobbes2112

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz bottle

Pours black with chocolate milkshake like head, great retention. Smells not too strong at first, but the chocolate and dark roast come out as it warms, really pleasant. Taste balances the hop and the malt really well, nice bitter taste throughout, and long malt finish. Not quite as much body as I would like, but getting close. I forgot how much I liked this beer, hopefully I will remember to make it one of my regulars.

10-21-2004 02:27:53 | More by hobbes2112
poundboy

Vermont

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Another excellent offering from Sierra Nevada. Just recently got interested in this brewery once I learned its history. Before that I had stupidly assumed it was no good because its widely available and comes in screw top bottles.

Quite possible my new favorite stout. None of the thin watery no taste you sometimes get with Guiness. Would love to try it out of a hand drawn tap or a nitro can.
Pours a true black with minimal head. Again maybe due to less than ideally clean glassware. Enough malt flavor to compliment rather than overwelm the characteristic stout roasted malt bitterness. Hints of hop flavor as well, quite apprcieated in a stout.

Not your over the top big beer or ultra flavorful micro style buster, but a great session beer. Something I know I could enjoy drinking all night long.
Note: if all my reviews seem to be coming in about the same, its because I don't bother to review beers I don't really enjoy, and I have a very hard time giving fives to any beer no matter how good. I want to believe something better can always be created.

10-15-2004 23:24:23 | More by poundboy
beerceller99

Louisiana

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz. twist off capped bottle. Bottling code is 3273 ( Nov. 2003 )Pours black with a slight brown head. Has a nutty, roasted grain smell. Full bodied with a smooth, rich mouthfeel. Taste is of blackened malts, roasted nuts, and espresso coffee. Finishes with a long, dry espresso taste in the throat.

A classic stout.

10-11-2004 02:40:18 | More by beerceller99
mntlover

Tennessee

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark black red brown tints around edges nice fluffy brwo head that leaves nice lacing. Smells creamy dark roasted malts light coffee exprsso flavors. Taste is nice hardy roasted malt, light coffee flavors light bitterness complemented by small dosage of hops. Overall a nice solid oldfashion American stout nothing extraordinary just plain old creamy goodness. Mouthfeel is good smooth and creamy niceness. Drinkability is good been a while since my last Sierra Stout will not wait as long again.

10-05-2004 22:21:56 | More by mntlover
proc

I am suprised I haven't rated this one to date. The only reason I grabbed this is my six year old son said, "Daddy, you always get the green one (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). Get the yellow (Porter) and blue (Stout) this time. Who am I to argue with him?

Pours out to a dark black in the glass with a minimum head. Aroma is that of a light, roasted malt and coffee. The taste is quite good, with afforementioned roasted malt coming to the forefront, but it isn't overbearing. This is a very, easy to drink stout and would be a good one, after say, Guinness/Murphy's/Beamish, to introduce a non-stout drinker to the world of darker beers.

Sierra Nevada continues to impress.

10-04-2004 01:33:09 | More by proc
skybluewater

Pours a very deep black, with a bit of mohagany if I hold my glass up to the light. Some lacing, but not much. Smells a bit funky, dark chocolate and puddle water (hey, I'm trying). Taste is very bitter, like an espresso, with a touch of chocolate there, but not nearly as much (nor as sweet) as you'd get with an Imperial Stout.

All in all, this is a very solid stout.

09-22-2004 20:12:38 | More by skybluewater
bigbeerdrinka

Germany

Pours a deep dark black color with a strong carbonation that creates a large fluffy offwhite head. Aromas are very malty and roasty with hints of coffee and a slight slight hop. Flavors start off very robust and roasty, with a slight astringency but a nice tone. There's a bit of smoke present in the brew, but very hidden behind a nice backing bittersweet chocolte, and some coffee flavors. This beer finishes creamy with a slight roast finish and a well pronounced hop character and bitterness. Overall a great example of a stout by the company that got me started into good beer.

09-19-2004 00:00:20 | More by bigbeerdrinka
orbitalr0x

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours from the stubby brown bottle a beautiful opaque black with a nice 1 inch tan head. Just the way a good stout should look. The smell is of roasted malts and hops. Some caramel and light coffee tones are present. The aroma is wonderful and begs you to indulge. The first sip brings a wonderfully toasted malt flavor along with some coffee notes as well. The hops are definetly there on the palate as well...bringing this stout together in a sublime fashion. It's just a damn fine, tasty american stout...no bones about it. Mouthfeel is great...rich and full bodied. This one will fill yer belly. As far as drinkability...I dunno if I'd have more than a few of these...but I'd say that about the style in general. This is a great beer that I'm sure I'll revisit time and time again. Also, it leaves some very nice lacing patterns on my pint glass as well.

09-09-2004 01:13:31 | More by orbitalr0x
afinepilsner

Iowa

4.03/5  rDev -1%

12 oz brown bottle
This beer is black in color with a tan head. There are faint red hues when held to a light. It has a decent head with thick lacing. It has a roasty nose. The taste is roasty with coffee and chocolate notes. This beer has a medium to full body with good carbonation. A great stout that would be a good session beer.

09-05-2004 04:30:23 | More by afinepilsner
Beaver13

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

The SN Stout pours an almost opaque black with deep ruby highlights. It has a frothy clingy tan head that goes to a collar and displays a ton of lacing.

Its aroma is appealing as well - figs, chocolate, roasted malts with some bitter coffee notes.

The flavor is fruity figs, chocolate and vanilla up front, followed by a strong metallic, almost chalky, bitterness that kind of rubs me the wrong way. It is thinner than I would expect yet leaves a sticky bitter residue.

Overall, this is a nice stout. If not for the off finish (to me at least), this would be a great one.

08-12-2004 06:42:28 | More by Beaver13
Turbohio

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours into a dark, nearly opaque appearance with tan head that quickly rises to a solid two fingers. Smell is mild, noticeable but not overwhelming. Nutty aroma complimented with the roast coffee typical with most stouts. Unfortunately there is a slight hint of acetone, that unforgettable acidic smell that is found in some of the cheaper stouts. Taste is roasted malt, lots of hops, coffee, chocolate, and maybe a little caramel (not carmel). Mouthfeel is okay. Lots of carbonation and effervescence for a stout, not very smooth. Drinkability is not really a word but in the case of this beer, where it is easy to quickly consume several in one sitting, that doesn’t seem to matter much.

Two of the best aspects of this beer is it’s price and availability. I’ve seen it compared to Rogue Shakespeare Stout, sold in this part of the world for $3+ per 22oz bomber. At $6.99 per six pack, which can be found in most major grocery stores year round, Sierra Nevada Stout earns it’s way into becoming a great micro-brew.

08-05-2004 03:02:56 | More by Turbohio
Ricochet

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Tried this for 6.49 a 6.

Appearence: Very good. Dark dark dark and very little head. Looked a little bit more watery than other stouts.

Smell: Strong , appetizing, chocolatey.

Mouthfeel: Very thick. The watery appearence does not mean it felt watery. Very good for a stout.

Drinkablity: High! Easy to have a few of these with/without dinner , but I see this best as a dessert beer, after lighter beers have come and gone.

Taste: Very good. I gave it a 4.0 because it is truly exceptional for a bottled stout. Very hoppy, chocolate was slight and nice rounded flavor.

08-03-2004 03:52:59 | More by Ricochet
Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.