Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Pours a dark brown with a 1/2" tan head that has decent retention. Sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Smells like a fruity and floral coffee. Taste is of a black strong coffee, with a hop kick in the middle, and a nice roasted finish. Feels good in the mouth, maybe a bit too carbonated. Very drinkable. Nice tasting Stout that you could session endlessly. Another fine brew from Sierra Nevada and a fine representation of the style.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

Sierra Nevada Stout

Appearance- dark brown almost black with a thick frothy head.
Smell- nice roasted coffee bean with chocolate. Chared oak as well.
Taste- roasted coffee with cocoa powder tossed in. Alcohol isn't masked that well.
Mouthfeel- a little harsh. Alcohol is too present.

Overall- a decent stout but aslighty harsh around the edges. If the alcohol could be masked better and tone down the carbonation this would be excellent.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

This was my first American stout, and one that I'd heard much about. This detracted from my first sampling I believe (along with the fact I drank it immediately after consuming a lovely Oktoberfest - one of my favourite styles).

It poured a dark, but light permitting black into an oversized wine glass. It's head formation was a little disappointing in size, but a healthy residue remained throughout the course of the drink.

First sniff reminded me immediately that this was an American interpretation, and certainly that it is a creation of Sierra Nevada! I don't believe I'd ever recognised the such a floral bouquet from a stout before... it was unexpected, but not altogether unpleasant, combining with some wafts of very toasted barley.

Taste was an immediate toasty maltiness, with hints of chocolate developing as it warmed up. At first the finish was a very distinct charcoal flavour, which was not particularly welcomed. But, again perhaps with the temperature rising, this flavour morphed into a much nicer espresso.

A medium bodied stout, not too thin, some more room for body if anything, and smooth but dry passage down the throat which leaves you wondering where it went once the glass is empty.

Definity not a bad entry into the world of American stout, and a nice platform from which to compare.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured almost solid black. No opaqueness to light. The head was almost an inch high cola brown coloration. The head quickly resolved but never entirely left the beer. The lacing made thin lines down the glass.

Smell: The beer had a very nice roasted barley smell. There was a nice earthy kind of smell about the beer.

Taste: The beer starts of with a sharp bitterness that gives way to a smoky roasted barley flavor. A bit of caramel pokes its head up. The beer finishes dry.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is meduim bodied. The carbonation is good. Leaves a pleasing dryness in the aftertaste. A very drinkable beer and one of my favorites.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%

First of all, I must apologize for my absence of reviews lately. Obviously I've been swamped with all of my work and obligations with running the brewery. However, I was able to completely stock my fridge with an extensive selection of craft beer lately, and I hope to eventually take the time to review all of them.

Sierra Nevada Stout, in my opinion, is an American classic. My sample poured with a (disappointing) lack of head despit effervescent carbonation. In the aroma I definitely detected a whiff of citrus west-coast American hops, yet the star of this show was the massive blast of roast barley.

And it was in the taste too... coffee, coffee, and more coffee. The bitterness from the roasted grains complimented the rich hop flavor perfectly. Very robust and potent in flavor for a beer only 5.8% ABV.

The beer was medium to medium-full bodied, yet was remarkably dry. I contribute this to their classic "Chico" yeast which attenuates very well and accentuates the hop flavor.

This beer was poured into a pint glass and was gone within a matter of minutes. No wonder it's a classic.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

I got some more of this stout to compare against my first review.

This bottle doesn't have the astringent quality I noticed in my first review. I must have been smoking crack when I reviewed it before!

This is a very creamy stout with nice notes of chocolate. It's quite lovely. The body is also creamy and smooth.

In my last review I said this could be thought of as the default American Stout. Default has too many negative implications. Think of this beer as the standard American Stout against which all others should be judged.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

From a bottle bought at Trader Joes in Chicago.

pours with a creamy head. black, but not quite opaque. towering lacing. odor of coffee and malts. taste is dry, roasted malts, bitterness, molasses. bubbly, reasonably thick mouthfeel. nothing special but decent stout. i'd have this again.

Pours a densley opaque black with a nice tan head that retains alright. The aroma is nice with a big chocolate and coffee character, as well as some toasted bread and floral and citrusy hops . The flavor also starts of with some dark chocolate, assertive coffee component thats bitter almost to the point of astringency, burnt bread, some floral hops and dark fruits (plum, fig and raisin) and a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is full and chewy with a medium thick body and a bitter, astringent coffee like finish. Seems like a stout for coffee lovers for sure, but i enjoyed it.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

This stout pours a dark black with large head and good lacing. The smell is very strong with hops and barley...it also has a good amount of chocolate and coffee scents as well. Taste is something that is better left to the imagination. I was disappointed in this as I expected it to be a very above average stout. The aftertaste is not pleasent either...overall I could drink this in a pinch but would not prefer it.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Sierra Nevada makes a sublime stout!

A prodigious tan head forms and eventually recedes, leaving a lacing down the sides of the glass. The beer is black, no light penetration so clarity is obviously not an issue. The aroma is full of wonderful smells. The roasted barley imparts hints of coffee, which are joined by bittersweet chocolate, cocoa, and just a hint of hoppiness in the background. The taste is very similar. The bitter coffee flavor imparted by the roasted barley is the major element, but the chocolate is also there in the background. It finishes with just the faintest bit of hop flavor, making it very unique. Extremely smooth and creamy, this beer should be held up as the standard for the style. Just a fantastic beer that goes down so easily. It's a shame I always forget about it, because it always amazes me when I rediscover it.

3.89/5  rDev -4.4%

Strong pour results in a creamy head, a bit soapy until it settles. Dark as night in hell. Beautiful.

Obvious aroma of dark chocolate, weaker hops and toasty malt smell in back. Not as fragrant as other stouts, too timid.

Chocolate and coffee flavor, typical style characteristics, nothing unique, simple profile but quite delicious. Sits well in the mouth at first but thins out too quickly. Great flavor with a lasting (and pleasant) aftertaste.

Not the best stout ever, but a drinkable one that deeply satisfies despite some weak points.

This is not Guiness so go ahead and loose that idea. It is not thick and has much more noticable hop flavor. Smells of chocolate and hops. Very tasty and fresh. Roasted malt and coffee shine though to a nice clean hop finish that is Sierra Nevada's signiture. Very refreshing for a stout almost drinkable in the summer at the beach. Pick it up if you can I highly recomend it.

A - I did an aggresive pour which resulted in a real nice white head, dark brown/black color, some carbonation, tons of lacing for awhile.

S - Scents of malts, sweet chocolate.

T - The taste was of malty sweet chocolate, with a nice bitter clean aftertaste.

M - Medium body.

D - Very drinkable.

I believe this is the first time I've had this beer since about the late 90s. Not much of a stout guy, but this is a very nice brew. I like this way better than the Guiness I had last year. Would recommend.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: small-bubbled mocha head, black body, slow but visible carbonation.

Smells: Hops, cherry, chocolate.

Somewhat creamy, with coffee bitters towards the end and chocolate undertones throughout. Some oversweetness in the aftertaste. Mellow. Sharp in the front, with a brief burst of carbonation that ceases immediately. A trifle flat in terms of fullness. Tastes like German malts. Not terribly complex.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

White Sox/Miller Lite pint glass. Looks black on the table with a stand still 1/2" head sitting there. Up to the light, a very much darkened red. Cascading on the surface after a sip.

Smell of baking chocolate. Way down there is a faint fruit, maybe created by some hops.

Lip smacking fresh bitter coffee taste. Much roasty bitter flavors.

Man that hit the spot. Maybe the best looking SN bottle, /w Celebration up there too. A great medium stout, a fine creation by Sierra Nevada. I wish I could find a 12 pack at Jewel.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer was tasted from a bottle in a pint glass.

The beer pours opaque black with a nice sized tan frothy head. The head hold and laces well. The smell and taste are mostly caramel and chocolate malts balanced nicely with some hop bitterness. The mouthfell is thick and well carbonated along with some welcome dryness. Overall this is a great stout.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

I expected more from this brew. I had read reviews of it before and decided to buy a 6 pack. Sorry.

Appearance- poured an almost opaque black, had a little brown to it with a light colored, almost white head.

Smell- Good, but not outstanding. Sweet malts, some chocolate, caramel, maybe coffee too.

Taste- Nicely balanced malt and hop presence. Slightly bitter aftertaste that clings for quite a while. More carbonation than I'm used to in a stout. I keep trying to like this beer but it just seems empty of anything outstanding. I'm not saying it's bad; it's not. I just expected more.

Mouthfeel- Pretty high carbonation, which I personally don't like in a stout.

Drinkability- Not bad, a nice quality stout I would drink any time. Don't know if I would buy it again with Storm King next to it on the shelf. Or even Siberian Night.

I want to rave about this beer. I really do because Sierra Nevada is a quality brewer that I respect. I reviewed this on the same day as I reviewed Snake River Zonker stout and the Zonker won hands down.

4.73/5  rDev +16.2%

Beautifully frothy & creamy mocha-tinted head. Dark black midnight body. Lacing all over the glass.

Coffee beans and grains in the nose. Mouth starts to water...

Taste is wonderfully rounded. Rich, full-bodied and pleasantly mildly bitter. Coffee & chocolate notes can be found throughout. A pure delight.

Mouthfeel is just like the taste: rich and full, plus it leaves a great aftertaste.

I am sure this is an excellent session stout for many beer enthusiasts. It certainly is for me. Delicious.

I am a stout lover and this beer was more of a pale ale in disguise of a stout. Don't get me wrong, it was good pale ale but not what I was expecting from the style. If hops are your thing then this stout has them in spades.

This is not an average beer but it is for the style so my review reflects that. When I want a hop attack I will go for a hop devil or something similar. But I like my stouts to be a bit more balanced than this.

3.5/5  rDev -14%

The beer pours a dark brown cola like color, still see through though. It has a nice fair tan head. The smell is pretty good, like a mocha chocolate cake. The taste is okay, there are better stouts out there. It goes straight to the bitter coffee taste that is a little overpowering, with no real strong chocolate that I can see, but finishes surprisingly smooth. The mouthfeel is surprisingly good. The carbonation is doesn't stick to your mouth, it is smooth, it is a little watery though. As for drinkability it is okay for drinking casually but not for chugging. Well as for stouts, and beer and general, I am not going to stop drinking Guinness but I can see myself coming back to this.

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a thick chunky tan head. Head sticks around and throws down one of most intense lacing patterns I've ever seen. Body is Mahagony passing midnight blackness, some light does pass through.

Taste: choclate malt, slight hops bitterness on the tounge, hints of nutiness, molsses and licorice (very faint)

MF: Doesnt quite match up with the taste, close to being a little thin, but smooth and good carbonation

Time-tested, multi-dimesional stout that showcases itself well.

Poured from a 12 ounce stubby bottle into a wine glass (it was all I could find)

Appearance: Pours a very nice brownish black with a finger and a half of tan/brown head. Didn't get much lacing but that could have been the glass.

Smell: Roasted coffee and chocolate with a hint of fruit in the background.

Taste: This beer starts off with a toasty, coffee malt flavor that slowly fades away. Roasted, chocolatey malts then set in and are replaced by a combination of the coffee, chocolate, and some flowery hops all mixed together.

Mouthfeel: I can't say much about the mouthfeel; it is typical of most stouts, perhaps with a little more carbonation than usual. The beer has a chunky feeling to it yet it still goes down smooth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for a stout, but then again I'm used to drinking stouts that are 8%+, and this is only 5.8%. I would probably opt for a few other stouts over this one, but would buy again if there was a limited stout selection.

Notes: This is pretty good, definetly worth trying, though I don't think that it stands out as something special.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Paid $6.99 for a 6'er...

The beer pours a black base, beautiful large lightly brown tinted head, with excellent retention and nice layered lacing on the glass. The beer is a 2-D stout, roasted malt and roasted coffee.

A bit surprised, the taste felt like another dimension was added, but there was also a tocuh of alcohol at the end which leveled it back again to a 4. The head retention plays well with the mouth and the alcohol taste seems the fade and is very enjoyable. A solid session stout beer, but there are a few others out there that I would be more satisfied with on session.

Final Thought: Sierra Nevada is the micro-brewery that set the American standard on the Pale Ale, the Porter and now the Stout... I thank you Chico, CA!

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a very dark black, but if you hold it up to a light you can see a very dark ruby, but still very dark. The head is a good size with a very foamy feel.
Smells of roasted malts and coffee.
Tastes very malty a very roasted taste, mixed with chocolate and a very creamy mouthfeel. This is one fine beverage that was made to be consumed at any occasion. I would highly recommend this to any person that loves a good stout.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Undated twist off stubbie served in a pint glass.

Black with one finger of creamy light tan that leaves thick and globby lace, and the retention is strong. It settles to a couple cm and holds its ground. Beautiful beer.

Nice roasty malts with chocolate milk, cocoa powder and a little hop bitterness for balance. Nice!

Full dark, roasted malt flavors upfront. A bit of dark chocolate followed by a solid shot of bitter hops. The roasted flavors remain throughout and pair perfectly with the hops with both lasting through the finish. I get the impression that a lot of thought was put into how long the malts should roast in relation to the strain and amount of hops used, or vice-versa. No astringent flavors, no residual hop oil. A rare five for this one.

The mouth is full with the right amount of carbonation and as mentioned above, no unpleasant residuals. A stout this tasty can be nothing but drinkable.

A lot of thought went into this beer, and I can taste it.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.