Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,110 | Reviews: 1,390
3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

Once poured SN Stout promotes a beautiful sticky kakhi head with a primarily opaque black body, with reddish hues on the outskirts.

This stout gives off the malty aroma, primarily a coffee/biscuity fragrance. It tastes a little like caramel and biscuits mixed together. Not as tart as Guinness Extra Stout. This brew is a little chewy, and finishes a bit dry.

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

This ale pours a completely opaque black in to my tulip glass, with a deep ruby tint when the light reflects from it. The inch-thick tan head dissipates slowly, leaving lace on the sides of the glass and floating on top until the end. The smell is not as strong as some stouts that I am fond of, but smells of cocoa and coffee, with a bit of maple syrup. The yeast is slightly noticable as the ale warms. The taste is of chocolate and coffee, but slightly sweet, and light tasting for a stout, in my opinion. This ale is not very "stout" for a stout. Mouthfeel is a bit bland, although it is smooth. It's almost watery, like they added coloring to make it look dark, but underneath it is an average ale. I am not terribly impressed by this offering, but Sierra Nevada rarely impresses me. Drinkable, though, mostly because of the watery lightness.

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

Appearance - Dark brown stout, very opaque, little head formation, head laciness is beautiful. Looks rich.

Smell - Roasted malt flavors, with some hops. Well-above average.

Taste - REALLY roasty! Average maltiness, average bitterness, tastes a lot like coffee. Pretty dry, there are better stouts (SA, for example).

Drinkability - Interesting flavor, but I don't find these stouts too drinkable. Its worth an occasional try, but its too bitter, and the taste is too flat for my liking. If you want a style to enjoy casually with friends, you should try a Brown Ale or an Oktoberfest..

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

Not sure if its just me but this tastes like a hoppy pale ale with burnt malt as a base. Ok I got started in good beer 35 years ago with a good English stout this is of course the WC version of a stout, not that good IMHO.

Appearance: It poured into a mug I like to drink stouts in. Nice thick head and a deep brown color as you would expect.

Smell: Strong on hops, some burnt chocolate malt, but the hops over power it. I never understood why a Stout would be so heavy on hops. Unbalanced for a stout IMHO

Taste: burnt chocolate malt back end and bitter, piney hops overload it and its as unbalanced in taste as it is in smell.

Mouth feel: Smooth with a little bite on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability: Its easy to drink as long as I get over its a stout with PA hops in it.

I love SNPA and most SN stuff and yea I know they are west coasters hop heads but they screwed the pooch with this one IMHO, its funny the Bros said its world class. I remember years ago and it was Not this hoppy a beer in my mind. oh well maybe my mind and taste buds are fooling me in my over 50 mind.

3.22/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My fifth offering from Sierra Nevada, have to admit I was a little underwhelmed. Light body for a stout, easy burnt raisin flavor, not to heavy on the malt. Super smooth, glides down the back of the throat. Very dark brown flavor. It's good, but really just a pretty prototypical stout.

3.22/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The nose is a cocoa-laden breadfruity/coco puff kinda thing. Promising.

Ah, but the taste is a hoppy, non-chocolately thin chug of lacklusterness.

Such promise on the nose. Sucha let down on the tongue. You would think someone switched on you just before a sip.

Complete surprise to me. I usually love Sierra Nevada, but this... too many better choices out there. But hardly anyone does hops like SN.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Not happy with my first review (and the grounds of reviewing was unfair), so I'll redo this one. Poured into a beer mug.

A: Not quite as dark as I expect from a stout, but it still features a nearly black body with a foamy, off-white 3-finger head with nice retention and lacing.

S: Nice roastiness, along with a strong scent of hops.

T: Honestly, it's more of a black ale than a stout to me. It opens with some roasted malts and a little bit of chocolate, leads into a citrus-y middle, and finishes with bitter pine notes. It's not oppressive or remotely unpleasant by any stretch, and the roasted character melds well with the hop profile, but it's rather unfitting for a stout. Very drinkable and refreshing, though.

M: Rather thin for a stout, but nicely creamy. The somewhat thin body actually works in its favor; if it were any thicker, it would exasperate the bitter finish even more. Leaves a resiny stickiness on the tongue.

O: I don't quite see the hype here. While it's decent, to be sure, I like my stouts a little less hoppy than this. On the positive side, it's suited pretty well to both winter and summer drinking duty. If you don't like your stouts hoppy, look elsewhere. Otherwise, give it a shot.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

12 oz bottle poured on Easter Sunday with my meal. Pours a deep dark brown with a nice foam tan head. It smells of roasted malts, and a citrusy hop aroma is in there as well. Smells a bit hoppy for a stout. This was my complaint on the taste as well. It tastes too bitter and hoppy for me. I know SN loves their hops, but I feel they over do the bitterness on a lot of their beers. I wasn't a big fan of it here in this stout. Not bad, but definitely not the best. Mouthfeel is fine. Drinkability? I probably won't buy this again. There are way too many better stouts out there.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

A - Espresso brown with a one finger cream/tan head with impressive retention and a nice amount of lacing.

S - Burnt espresso beans, citric acid, not that pleasant of an odor.

T - Burnt espresso, powerfully coffee bitter aftertaste, a slight acidity in the flavor. It's okay, not a taste I'd seek out though.

M - Incredible! Among the creamiest beers I've ever had. Thick and very, very refreshing, which is impressive considering the powerful bitterness.

D - A lot of stouts are pretty terrible in this category. They may be absolutely delicious, yet somehow difficult to finish. This one is an exception. It is probably due to it's outstanding creaminess, but I find the bottom of my glass very easily.

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a huge fan of this stout. At little more bitter than I would like and seems a bit flat.

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Dark with light barely visible around the edges when backlit. Very good head retention with lots of lace.

A: Lightly roasted malt and grassy hops. Aroma is much lighter than one would expect give the color.

T: Some carbonation at the onset. Balance of mild roasted malt with bittersweet hops. Bittersweet finish. As with aroma, the taste is not in keeping with the color or style.

M: Thin body. Some acidity in the middle. Dry.

D: Don't know what to say here. Very approachable, but not what I'd typically expect for a stout.

Given the high overall review, I'll assume that I got a bad bottle. I'll have to try again at a later date.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Nearly pitch black with some lighter highlights. Half inch head (tan) fades quickly and leaves average lacing.

S- Coffee, brown sugar, light chocolate, roasted malt, and some floral/earthy hops.

T- Roasted malt and some bitter hops. Not quite as complex as the aroma would lead you to believe.

M- Thin to medium with above average carbonation.

O- Standard SN: good, cheap, and easy to find. It's worth a try. Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Aroma: Sweet malt with a bit of citrus - not much roast or toast evident as I'd expect. Coffee aromas wafting.

Appearance: Deep, deep brown - nearly black - with slight ruby highlights with a light behind. Tan head about 1 and 1/2 fingers when poured into a standard American pint glass (shamelessly mentioned to be my Rock Hoppers Brew Club glass).

Flavor: Slight astringency up front. Light flavor with not much going on. Flavor hops there, but I'm confused: citrus with roast or roast with citrus? Either way, I'm a bit confounded.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Sweet/toast dissipates into a slightly puckering finish.

Overall: American style stout, though and through. The citrus/toast/roast thing is spot on for the style, but not my preference in a stout.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

S- Rich dark color. Nice inch head in my beer snifter with beautiful lacing.

A- Hard roasted malts, breath of chocolate, coffee, finishing with alcohol and floral aroma.

T- Overwhelming acrid burnt malts along with bitter hop finish leaves me a little disappointed with the overwhelmingly high rating.

M- The only thing I have is "dry," a little too dry for a stout.

O- Would definitely go with something else... just not what I want in a stout. However, we all know that beer is an individual thing.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Opaque black with half a finger of coffee head and okay lacing

S - Lots of raw chocolate that is a little faint

T - A little harsh chocolate bite with definite solid chocolate after taste and sweet.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Lots of chocolate that is to much in my opinion. Mostly enjoyable but there are better ones.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. Reviewed January 2011.

A: Darkest brown with a thin head. Reddish in direct lighting and only then translucent. Heavyish lacing.

S: Neutral. Some malts, more chocolate than roast.

T: Not great. Abundant chocolate malts. Some hops on the aftertaste. Overall, disappointing.

M: Waterish, but moderately substantial. Meh.

D: Far and away the worst Sierra Nevada I've encountered. Decent, but not recommended. Looking at other reviews, I wonder if I just tried a dud bottle. I'll give it a go some other time and see if my opinion has changed.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

A - Pours a deep, deep red black. Thick tan head that lasts.

S - Smells of grain, Dark Malts.

T - Nice grain, coffee, slightly bitter.

M - Full, but not overly so. Lots of CO2, maybe too much for the style.

D - Not a great stout, but a good one. Especially for the price.

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

12 ounce bottle purchased individually at Beverage Warehouse in Los Angeles for about $1.50, split with my dad last night, poured into my Three Philosophers glass

A-Mix between mahogany and a very dark brown, one inch creamy tan head that stays around for a long time, nice retention, some lacing
S-Chocolate, roasted malts, creamy milk, tobacco, leather, burned caramel, some smokiness, and herbs
T-To my surprise I tasted some dark fruit in my sip which was weird because I could not identify any of it in the aroma, other than that it starts out pretty dry, mellows in some malt in the middle which sweetens later, finish is both sweet and dry with dark chocolate and coffee, dryness goes away almost completely once it warms, needs more of a punch as far as flavor goes
M-Needs more carbonation to battle it out with the thick full body, roasty and rich mouthfeel, taste lingers slightly
D-Low in alcohol but heavy on the stomach, stuff gets pretty rich once it warms and a bit hard to drink, was fine with the five or six ounces I had

Had this after the porter and it was slightly better but still not great, I liked the barrel aged version of this a lot more, does not stack up with SN's other brews in my opinion, probably will not drink again, might be worth trying if you are curious

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours opaque black with a crisp beige head that leaves thick sheets of lacing.

Aroma is sweet milk chocolate, smokey dark grain. Hints of coffee.

Taste is smokey dark grain. Chocolate and coffee with an underlying milk sugar sweetness. Hints of plum. Hops are earthy with a touch of fennel in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

I found this to be a very mild, rather sweet stout. This makes it easy to drink, but not very impressive or memorable. I would much rather have something more full flavored...

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a translucent black, a lot of light showed through this beer, with a tall, fluffy, tan head that had very good retention and decent lacing.

A very good roast aroma greets the nose, strong, solid and full the roastiness is outstanding. Not much else shows through, little grain, and surprisingly for SN, not a ton of hops either. On the tongue there are is a bit more of a hop presence than in the scent. The roast notes are solidly present as well, but nothing else really jumps out at you.

The body was far too thin for a stout, I've had Pale Ales that were more mouthfilling. Drinkability was decent, but if your in the mood for a stout, this is just a touch off.

Overall, a decent enough brew, just not quite up to SN's usual high standards. An OK beer, worth trying, but not special.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from the bottle a jet black with a heavy off-white head.

This beer had a delicious aroma of roasted malt, coffee and and slightly dark fruits.

The taste delivered the expected coffee and bitter dark chocolate flavors. The bitterness was a bit too much, though.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

A decent stout but nothing out of the ordinary.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

bottle into pint glass

appearance: black with 1 finger off white head, very bubbly, some lacing

smell: not getting a whole lot on the nose, some subtle roasted grains, dark chocolate, espresso, toffee, very herbal earthiness to it

taste: sharp herbal bitterness mends with a roasted espresso flavor that is pretty short lasting, doesn't linger a whole lot. It seems the bitterness is a bit out of balance with the rest of the "stout" flavors, I feel like the dark chocolate and coffee notes could have been emphasized a bit more. Not all that bad, but just left me a little disappointed.

mouthfeel: medium to high carbonation for a stout, rather thin bodied

overall: A decent stout, but sort of down on my list of Stouts I normally buy. Widely available however, this is for sure a great beer that everyone should try, just

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours black as night with a one finger tan head. Thin ring left with average lacing.

Smell - complex mix of burnt toast, sweetness, and some kind of mellow flavoring....possibly anise...I cant tell for sure though.

Taste - this one has a mild flavor. A little sweetness from either licorice or anise. Nice roasty follow up. Bitters towards aftertaste.

MF - pretty normal stout feel to this. Rich and smooth. Silky.

Overall this is a great value. At $7.50 per sixer, I 'll drink this again, but I think i'll wait til winter.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Found one 6 pack left at the local beer store...

A: Perfect look. Pitch black with no light shining through at all. Super thick 2 inch white head that slowly fades.

S: Faints smells of hops with bitter chocolate. Slight malts. Nothing special.

T: Upfront are mild hops with bitter chocolate. Malts and water in the middle with not too much happening on the backend. Average.

M: Not too bad. Doesn't leave too much harsh flavor on your palate but is not too watery here. Very good.

D: Goes down very easy.

All in all, this was a decent brew. Ok to try once. Whether you are a hop guy or a malt guy, I think both can enjoy this one equally. Nothing special, but easy to obtain and enjoy.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in a Delirium tulip as for some unknown god forsaken reason I do not own a Sierra Nevada snifter. God damn.

Beer is black with a decent tan head of small and medium bubbles, lots of lacing but low to moderate carbonation.

Aroma is mild, sweet mildly roast.

Medium to full in body, the roast / bitterness in the back just isn't there, I'm worried that this isn't teh stout at all but some black pale ale. Mildly sweet up front the body carries this mild sweetness throughout and then it ends....I'm bored, moving on. Again I'd have this again if I were in a really shitty bar.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.