Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of the bottle dark with a little light showing through.Smells good coffee like. However in the taste department im not impressed. Leaves a bitter taste i cant point out but not desirable.Mouthfeel is thin,,its drinkable but doesnt have much of a place in my fridge.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

A - the foam is nice and large and long lasting, but the brew looked Luke a cherry cola.

S - the scent is rather strong and different than I expected.

T - it is a little to bitter for me. The flavor seems to only hit the front of the mouth. It seems to vanish by the time it get to the back of the mouth.

M - while the flavor leaves a little yo be desired, the brew nicely coats the whole mouth.

D - while it feels nice, the flavor would keep my hand moving down the shelf.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Even for a semi-sessionable stout, this just isn't all that great

A-dark brown, with a decent cream colored head

S-some mocha but fairly hoppy, creamy but mild

T-hits with a good amount of dark roasted coffee beans that are quite creamy. not as bitter as i expected. leaves with dark roasted malts.

M-medium carbonation that is a bit tangy. dry finish

D-develops a creamy tanginess that i find undesirable. alcohol, of course, doesn't come in to play which is nice for a stout, but still...i couldn't drink a lot of this.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally grabbed this puppy. Been looking at it in the store for awhile but I generally like my stouts to be friggin huge with 10+% ABV. At 5.8, this little guy should still be worth a try.

Pours out a coffee/cola shade of brown but looks quite black in the glass. Generous light mocha head. Very inviting.

Smell is mostly a light roasted coffee malt kinda thing with a subtle hop undertone. Again with the inviting.

Tastes seems a bit off to me. Starts with some bitter coffee, then continues with some bitter coffee. Burnt malt, burnt coffee, toasted, roasted whatever. The hop backing seems to conflict instead of balance. Then again I'm just some podunk drunk trying to have a beer here.

Fairly full bodied, carbonation is generous and pleasing, but I'm not getting very excited.

I'm a fan of Sierra Nevada for sure but this one is a miss for me.

Overall: won't be purchasing again.

2.93/5  rDev -28%

This particular stout is acceptable, but it's not THAT good. I'm a little amazed to see so many "A" reviews. It's tolerable, and I'll drink the entire six-pack I bought, but I won't be buying it again. In my opinion, they went a little overboard with the hops. This has been the case with every Sierra Nevada brew I've tried, irrespective of style. I don't think of stouts as being this "hoppy," so it was not what I expected, to say the least.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Pours a rich brown and tan frothy head.
Smell is chocolate with some burnt coffee tones and burnt bread crust smell as well.
Taste was rather basic and watery. Has a Light sweetness to it that fades quickly to a bitter aftertaste and slight dryness.
Compared to the smell the taste didnt stand up to what I thought it should. Nor did that mouthfeel.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into pint glass on 9/21/06.

A: Pours a near-black that only shows dark brown when held up to the light. Thick, fluffy head after a careful pour. Great retention.

S: Very, very mild. Almost non-existent aroma. Very faint roastiness, very faint floral hop presence.

T: Luckily, it has more flavor than the nose suggests. Roasted coffee bean up front, hint of dark chocolate. Finish is lightly bitter and earthy with a rather abrupt smoky trail.

M: Creamy.

D: It's easy to drink, but as stouts go, this was a dud for me. It's not very stout, and I found the porter to be the superior beer of the two. I'll revisit it in a few months, but I won't be counting down the days until I do. I found this to be a really bland beer.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

A - pours a pretty ruddy red-beige head one finger high and moderately dense. Color is nearly opaque mahogany brown.clarity seems high.

S - sweety brown sugar cyrstal forest with roasted barley and a touch of leathery hop. Pleasant.

T - harsh minty spruce and rye.

M - loose watery and astringent gin burn.

D - not bad. Color and smell good. Taste not so much

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

Went through a six pack of these when I was in Oregon a couple weeks back. The review is from notes I took at that time.

Appearance is dark brown with a thin quickly dissipating 1 finger of head.

Smell is of a little biscuit, coffee, and roasted malts. Just what a stout should be.

Taste is OK. Hops upfront, dark grains in the middle, and bitter hops finish.

The mouthfeel was prickly and carbonated. One of my personal negatives in regard to stouts.

Drinkability was so-so and I was able to polish the whole six pack off over the span of a week.

I originally bought this beer as a way to "set my palette" for bigger stouts. The flavors were hoppier that what is more of the norm for today's stouts but not entirely unpleasant. To date this is probably my least favorite Sierra Nevada beer which came as a surprise to me because I am usually a big fan of theirs. I will not be buying again.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

You're joking me.

Okay. It looks like a stout, kind of. Dark brown. Pours pretty thin. Smells pretty light. Tastes...pretty damn light. The most lightly roasted of malts. Maybe a touch of chocolate there. Its like....how to describe it...its like a stout if you diluted it, but still made it drinkable. Its like the adjunct lager of stouts.

Granted that still makes it a slightly better drink in some regards, but...when I think stout I think something big, bold, rich malt and coffee and chocolate notes (in whatever order in whatever intensity).

If you're used to RIS or stouts in general, this one will probably disappoint. On its own merits...meh. Its alright. Its drinkable, nothing imposing, but still comes off as a hybrid of stout and cheap beer. And if thats your kind of beer, power to you. Me, I was really hoping for something richer or at the very least, having a sturdier mouthfeel. Not recommended.

Very light stout.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.