Sierra Nevada Stout - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada StoutSierra Nevada Stout

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,388 | Hads: 3,195
3.22/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My fifth offering from Sierra Nevada, have to admit I was a little underwhelmed. Light body for a stout, easy burnt raisin flavor, not to heavy on the malt. Super smooth, glides down the back of the throat. Very dark brown flavor. It's good, but really just a pretty prototypical stout.

3.22/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The nose is a cocoa-laden breadfruity/coco puff kinda thing. Promising.

Ah, but the taste is a hoppy, non-chocolately thin chug of lacklusterness.

Such promise on the nose. Sucha let down on the tongue. You would think someone switched on you just before a sip.

Complete surprise to me. I usually love Sierra Nevada, but this... too many better choices out there. But hardly anyone does hops like SN.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Not happy with my first review (and the grounds of reviewing was unfair), so I'll redo this one. Poured into a beer mug.

A: Not quite as dark as I expect from a stout, but it still features a nearly black body with a foamy, off-white 3-finger head with nice retention and lacing.

S: Nice roastiness, along with a strong scent of hops.

T: Honestly, it's more of a black ale than a stout to me. It opens with some roasted malts and a little bit of chocolate, leads into a citrus-y middle, and finishes with bitter pine notes. It's not oppressive or remotely unpleasant by any stretch, and the roasted character melds well with the hop profile, but it's rather unfitting for a stout. Very drinkable and refreshing, though.

M: Rather thin for a stout, but nicely creamy. The somewhat thin body actually works in its favor; if it were any thicker, it would exasperate the bitter finish even more. Leaves a resiny stickiness on the tongue.

O: I don't quite see the hype here. While it's decent, to be sure, I like my stouts a little less hoppy than this. On the positive side, it's suited pretty well to both winter and summer drinking duty. If you don't like your stouts hoppy, look elsewhere. Otherwise, give it a shot.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

12 oz bottle poured on Easter Sunday with my meal. Pours a deep dark brown with a nice foam tan head. It smells of roasted malts, and a citrusy hop aroma is in there as well. Smells a bit hoppy for a stout. This was my complaint on the taste as well. It tastes too bitter and hoppy for me. I know SN loves their hops, but I feel they over do the bitterness on a lot of their beers. I wasn't a big fan of it here in this stout. Not bad, but definitely not the best. Mouthfeel is fine. Drinkability? I probably won't buy this again. There are way too many better stouts out there.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

A - Espresso brown with a one finger cream/tan head with impressive retention and a nice amount of lacing.

S - Burnt espresso beans, citric acid, not that pleasant of an odor.

T - Burnt espresso, powerfully coffee bitter aftertaste, a slight acidity in the flavor. It's okay, not a taste I'd seek out though.

M - Incredible! Among the creamiest beers I've ever had. Thick and very, very refreshing, which is impressive considering the powerful bitterness.

D - A lot of stouts are pretty terrible in this category. They may be absolutely delicious, yet somehow difficult to finish. This one is an exception. It is probably due to it's outstanding creaminess, but I find the bottom of my glass very easily.

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Dark with light barely visible around the edges when backlit. Very good head retention with lots of lace.

A: Lightly roasted malt and grassy hops. Aroma is much lighter than one would expect give the color.

T: Some carbonation at the onset. Balance of mild roasted malt with bittersweet hops. Bittersweet finish. As with aroma, the taste is not in keeping with the color or style.

M: Thin body. Some acidity in the middle. Dry.

D: Don't know what to say here. Very approachable, but not what I'd typically expect for a stout.

Given the high overall review, I'll assume that I got a bad bottle. I'll have to try again at a later date.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Nearly pitch black with some lighter highlights. Half inch head (tan) fades quickly and leaves average lacing.

S- Coffee, brown sugar, light chocolate, roasted malt, and some floral/earthy hops.

T- Roasted malt and some bitter hops. Not quite as complex as the aroma would lead you to believe.

M- Thin to medium with above average carbonation.

O- Standard SN: good, cheap, and easy to find. It's worth a try. Cheers.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Aroma: Sweet malt with a bit of citrus - not much roast or toast evident as I'd expect. Coffee aromas wafting.

Appearance: Deep, deep brown - nearly black - with slight ruby highlights with a light behind. Tan head about 1 and 1/2 fingers when poured into a standard American pint glass (shamelessly mentioned to be my Rock Hoppers Brew Club glass).

Flavor: Slight astringency up front. Light flavor with not much going on. Flavor hops there, but I'm confused: citrus with roast or roast with citrus? Either way, I'm a bit confounded.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Sweet/toast dissipates into a slightly puckering finish.

Overall: American style stout, though and through. The citrus/toast/roast thing is spot on for the style, but not my preference in a stout.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

S- Rich dark color. Nice inch head in my beer snifter with beautiful lacing.

A- Hard roasted malts, breath of chocolate, coffee, finishing with alcohol and floral aroma.

T- Overwhelming acrid burnt malts along with bitter hop finish leaves me a little disappointed with the overwhelmingly high rating.

M- The only thing I have is "dry," a little too dry for a stout.

O- Would definitely go with something else... just not what I want in a stout. However, we all know that beer is an individual thing.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Opaque black with half a finger of coffee head and okay lacing

S - Lots of raw chocolate that is a little faint

T - A little harsh chocolate bite with definite solid chocolate after taste and sweet.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Lots of chocolate that is to much in my opinion. Mostly enjoyable but there are better ones.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. Reviewed January 2011.

A: Darkest brown with a thin head. Reddish in direct lighting and only then translucent. Heavyish lacing.

S: Neutral. Some malts, more chocolate than roast.

T: Not great. Abundant chocolate malts. Some hops on the aftertaste. Overall, disappointing.

M: Waterish, but moderately substantial. Meh.

D: Far and away the worst Sierra Nevada I've encountered. Decent, but not recommended. Looking at other reviews, I wonder if I just tried a dud bottle. I'll give it a go some other time and see if my opinion has changed.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

A - Pours a deep, deep red black. Thick tan head that lasts.

S - Smells of grain, Dark Malts.

T - Nice grain, coffee, slightly bitter.

M - Full, but not overly so. Lots of CO2, maybe too much for the style.

D - Not a great stout, but a good one. Especially for the price.

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

12 ounce bottle purchased individually at Beverage Warehouse in Los Angeles for about $1.50, split with my dad last night, poured into my Three Philosophers glass

A-Mix between mahogany and a very dark brown, one inch creamy tan head that stays around for a long time, nice retention, some lacing
S-Chocolate, roasted malts, creamy milk, tobacco, leather, burned caramel, some smokiness, and herbs
T-To my surprise I tasted some dark fruit in my sip which was weird because I could not identify any of it in the aroma, other than that it starts out pretty dry, mellows in some malt in the middle which sweetens later, finish is both sweet and dry with dark chocolate and coffee, dryness goes away almost completely once it warms, needs more of a punch as far as flavor goes
M-Needs more carbonation to battle it out with the thick full body, roasty and rich mouthfeel, taste lingers slightly
D-Low in alcohol but heavy on the stomach, stuff gets pretty rich once it warms and a bit hard to drink, was fine with the five or six ounces I had

Had this after the porter and it was slightly better but still not great, I liked the barrel aged version of this a lot more, does not stack up with SN's other brews in my opinion, probably will not drink again, might be worth trying if you are curious

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours opaque black with a crisp beige head that leaves thick sheets of lacing.

Aroma is sweet milk chocolate, smokey dark grain. Hints of coffee.

Taste is smokey dark grain. Chocolate and coffee with an underlying milk sugar sweetness. Hints of plum. Hops are earthy with a touch of fennel in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

I found this to be a very mild, rather sweet stout. This makes it easy to drink, but not very impressive or memorable. I would much rather have something more full flavored...

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a translucent black, a lot of light showed through this beer, with a tall, fluffy, tan head that had very good retention and decent lacing.

A very good roast aroma greets the nose, strong, solid and full the roastiness is outstanding. Not much else shows through, little grain, and surprisingly for SN, not a ton of hops either. On the tongue there are is a bit more of a hop presence than in the scent. The roast notes are solidly present as well, but nothing else really jumps out at you.

The body was far too thin for a stout, I've had Pale Ales that were more mouthfilling. Drinkability was decent, but if your in the mood for a stout, this is just a touch off.

Overall, a decent enough brew, just not quite up to SN's usual high standards. An OK beer, worth trying, but not special.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from the bottle a jet black with a heavy off-white head.

This beer had a delicious aroma of roasted malt, coffee and and slightly dark fruits.

The taste delivered the expected coffee and bitter dark chocolate flavors. The bitterness was a bit too much, though.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

A decent stout but nothing out of the ordinary.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

bottle into pint glass

appearance: black with 1 finger off white head, very bubbly, some lacing

smell: not getting a whole lot on the nose, some subtle roasted grains, dark chocolate, espresso, toffee, very herbal earthiness to it

taste: sharp herbal bitterness mends with a roasted espresso flavor that is pretty short lasting, doesn't linger a whole lot. It seems the bitterness is a bit out of balance with the rest of the "stout" flavors, I feel like the dark chocolate and coffee notes could have been emphasized a bit more. Not all that bad, but just left me a little disappointed.

mouthfeel: medium to high carbonation for a stout, rather thin bodied

overall: A decent stout, but sort of down on my list of Stouts I normally buy. Widely available however, this is for sure a great beer that everyone should try, just

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours black as night with a one finger tan head. Thin ring left with average lacing.

Smell - complex mix of burnt toast, sweetness, and some kind of mellow flavoring....possibly anise...I cant tell for sure though.

Taste - this one has a mild flavor. A little sweetness from either licorice or anise. Nice roasty follow up. Bitters towards aftertaste.

MF - pretty normal stout feel to this. Rich and smooth. Silky.

Overall this is a great value. At $7.50 per sixer, I 'll drink this again, but I think i'll wait til winter.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Found one 6 pack left at the local beer store...

A: Perfect look. Pitch black with no light shining through at all. Super thick 2 inch white head that slowly fades.

S: Faints smells of hops with bitter chocolate. Slight malts. Nothing special.

T: Upfront are mild hops with bitter chocolate. Malts and water in the middle with not too much happening on the backend. Average.

M: Not too bad. Doesn't leave too much harsh flavor on your palate but is not too watery here. Very good.

D: Goes down very easy.

All in all, this was a decent brew. Ok to try once. Whether you are a hop guy or a malt guy, I think both can enjoy this one equally. Nothing special, but easy to obtain and enjoy.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in a Delirium tulip as for some unknown god forsaken reason I do not own a Sierra Nevada snifter. God damn.

Beer is black with a decent tan head of small and medium bubbles, lots of lacing but low to moderate carbonation.

Aroma is mild, sweet mildly roast.

Medium to full in body, the roast / bitterness in the back just isn't there, I'm worried that this isn't teh stout at all but some black pale ale. Mildly sweet up front the body carries this mild sweetness throughout and then it ends....I'm bored, moving on. Again I'd have this again if I were in a really shitty bar.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours dark brown with red highlights. Creamy tan head. Aroma is chocolate and sweet malts. Flavor is roasted malts, hop flavors and hop bitterness. Medium mouthfeel, it was lighter bodoed than I expected. It seems too hoppy for a stout, but what else would you expect from Sierra Nevada. This isn't one of my favorites, but its worth trying.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Light black in color, not much head no retention for me either.

S- I just get an overload of barley in this brew. My nose was off or something, I know there is more to it, but I am not getting it.

T- Some malts are there, I do get the hops in the taste too so that is good. But the barley is on overload.

M- slick and oily. ehh just an odd feeling.

D- one and done for me. There are too many other brews out there of this style and not to waste more time on this one.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

I really like Sierra Nevada stout-- it's a wonderful beer at a good cost. That said, something seems off about the glass I'm drinking right now. It almost has a sesame oil aftertaste, and I am not a sesame oil fan. Everything else about the beer, from its dark, opaque color and tan head to its smooth drinkability, is wonderful. It has just enough bitterness balanced by the right level of sweetness to make me very, very happy. I'm just glad this isn't the first bottle I've ever had, because the sesame oil flavor is really getting to me. Let's chalk it up to not cleaning my glass thoroughly (or something) and move on with giving this beer the good review it deserves.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

This beer poured a dark opaque brown with a large foamy head that lingered for a while. The smell is reminiscent of pine and roasted malts. The taste is not as strong as I expected, with a sweeter almost chocolate middle that ends with just a little bit of hops bite. There is a satisfyingly thick mouthfeel, with a nice bit of carbonation. I'd consider this beer to be fairly drinkable, but I couldn't imagine knocking too many of them back in one sitting.

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%

Presentation: Poured from a stubby 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. Label is classic Sierra Nevada, this one is yellow. I heard they were going to be changing these around soon. No visible freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with a massive amount of head, can't even pour the bottle in one try. The surface tension is such that I can pour so the head is an inch or more over the rim of the glass. The head finally settles down to about 2 fingers of pillowy and dense tan foam. Awesome lacing. The beer itself is black as black can be, without even a hint of any other color around the edges. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Not much smell to this one. Slight roastiness from the barley.

Taste: Sharp acidic bite upfront, followed by husky graininess. Medium roasted barley bitterness then finishes with a mild hop bitterness and slight coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is good.

Drinkability: This beer is a beautiful thing to behold, with amazing lacing. Smell and taste were a little bit of a letdown, though. Especially for such a high quality brewery from which I expect a lot.

Sierra Nevada Stout from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.