Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Reviews: 2,745 | Hads: 10,076
Reviews by brurevu:
4.71/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The Torpedo poured a deep golden amber with a full and fluffy head. The aroma was full of citrusy dank and herbal hops. The flavor is almost straight up juicy grapefruit with a piney hop on the back end that coats your palate with a dense bitterness. The citrus grapefruit hops pulled me in and the thick chewy body makes the torpedo a satisfying brew. (352 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle bought while in Vermont, don't know about how fresh it is..

A: Pours quite darker than expected from an IPA. It is amber, almost translucent, light tan color head, very creamy head too. There is a good amount of retention and lacing.

S: This is a very balanced, typically called east coast style IPA. There is a good amount of ripe pineapple juice in this, as well as mango. But, there is also a good, solid, amount of biscuit and caramel malts. Seems quite sweet.

T: The taste confirmed what I smelled. But, this is quite a bit more bitter than expected with a strong orange peel and pine (typical west coast though) like attack right at the front. Then, the pineapple and mango are still there, a bit subdued than in the smell. You still get a good amount of caramel and cookie dough.

M: On the heavier side of medium feel, not too sticky. Carbonation is lively.

O: This is very drinkable and solid. I admit that I suppose the bottle is around 3-4 months old after the tasting, so I admit I may not have the full, correct experience that this beer can offer (I adjust my score accordingly). Still, this is a solid brew. (1,133 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #26:

What's interesting about Sierra Nevada is that up until this year, they were probably one of the only West Coast breweries to not produce a year-round India Pale Ale (IPA). However, around three years ago, there was buzz on the internetz that Sierra Nevada was dabbling with a new way of infusing hops into beer. Soon, a concoction named "Torpedo" began to rear its foam at select locations and events. In late 2008, Sierra Nevada announced that they'd be launching a year-round IPA called "Torpedo Extra IPA," and revealed the process:

"The name itself comes from a device called the 'hop torpedo' that was conceived, designed and developed at the brewery. The result is a revolutionary method of dry-hopping that harnesses the vital hop oils and resins that lead to an unusually flavorful and aromatic beer featuring the full, nuanced range of spicy complexity that hops have to offer."

They also use 100-percent American hops and multiple varieties--each of which impart unique characters. Let's load this one and give it a shot--yeah, that was bad.

Pours a bright, clear copper with a thick and hop-induced, creamy, off-white foam head with a lace that sticks and stays along the glass. Big hops in the nose. Floral with some grapefruit rind and pepper in the back. Smooth and creamy on the palate with a firm, round and semi-full body. A bit chewy and juicy at times. Fruity (a bit tropical) with citrus (mostly rind, some grapefruit), semisweet apple (Red Delicious comes to mind) and some herbal notes (soft and pleasant). Then bitter. Dry and acidic with an aspirin edge. Building layers of hops on the palate with each sip. Fresh, green hops. Pine. Resin. Spice. Hint of soap (happens with highly hopped beers). Palate turns gritty and leafy with an ashy finish. Biscuity malt. Hay. Bone dry. More-ish.

Torpedo is a dry and robust IPA that waves confidently at the Double IPA with a ton of hop presence and 7.2-percent ABV, but remains an American IPA with its artful use of hops that brings big, but balanced, flavors, and subsequent drinkability. We love it. Released in January 2009 in six-packs and hopefully available until the end of days. (2,204 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

This is my GO TO beer. When I can't find something new and I want Hoppy - TORPEDO. A great beer (97 characters)

I never rate beers. I like to drink them. I drink all the fancy ones people like to call the best beers in the world. KBS, Pliny, etc. This, to me, is the best beer in the world. This has the hops that every IPA strives for. More importantly you don't have to pay 22.99 for a 4 pack if you're lucky to get there at the right time. You don't have to show up on a Tuesday morning and whisper "george the animal steel likes butterscotch crumpets". This beer is $7.99 a sixer at Wegmans. Wegmans isn't exactly known for their bargains. 6 stars. 6 I say! (549 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass a slightly hazed amber/copper color with a tight formed 1/2 finger head that stuck around for awhile leaving broken shotty lace behind.Fresh aromas that were heavy in the citric hops,mainly grapefruit with underlying lemon pith with a bit of overripe pineapple,a light but noticeable caramel note shows thru as well.Flavors well were alot like the aromas,citric hops blast out up front with a bit of white pepper-like spice wich was odd but not a bad thing,the caramel sweetness holds up well but is obviously over taken by the big hops.You would never know the ABV. of this beer it just goes down easy and is rather refreshing,kick ass. (671 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz brown bottle with a coded freshness date.

LOOK: Clear brassy hue, excellent suds

SMELL: Mint, marmalade, biscuits, faint caramel, blonde tobacco, ripe pear, clean esters

TASTE: Very smooth, deep crispness, hop bitterness, citric rind, leafy, dried grass, lightly toasted bread, kumquats, papaya, herbal, drying finish

SN pretty much nailed it with this one, some say this is now the benchmark for the style ... if so that would be setting it pretty high. (463 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is a classic. I've had it in several states and several situations but it never disappoints. Time for a review.

Look: Looks like an IPA; classic deep amber color, nice slightly off-white head, and great carbonation. Absolutely beautiful in the glass, especially when the sun shines through it leaving rays of dancing amber light like flames on the table.

Smell: Full on piney hops, strong peach, and mango with caramely malts.

Taste: Again, classic IPA taste. The bitterness is piney and resilient. Timeless, if you will. The malt body provides a solid beat like John Bonham and John Paul Jones working together.

Feel: Full body with just the right amount of coating. There is mild astringency on the back of the tongue.

Overall: The classic and perfect IPA. I'd like to call it a starter IPA but I've seen people run screaming after one sip back to their light beer. More for me, I guess. And there will be more because this one is the Coca-Cola of IPAs. (968 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look- Massive foamy head. Clear reddish/Amber. Excellent sticky lace retention.
Smell- Sugary and citrus aroma. Reminds me of lemonade.
Taste- complex and intense. Very Hoppy with a bready and malty backbone. herbal, piney and resinous. Bitter grapefruit finish.
Feel- Amazing feel goes down quickly and easily. Medium bodied. Stinging carbonation on the tongue.
An excellent beer overall. A hop bomb! (401 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

It will work In a pinch (23 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Nice IPA with possibly the best price point for product ratio. A tad skunky perhaps but when I want to scratch my IPA itch, a liter of this does the job often.
Thin head but good lacing. Great mouth feel. Taste/smell is mostly piney, with as others state many subtle undertones. Not too bitter unless uninitiated to IPA's.

Take away line..."Hoppy like a bunny" (361 characters)

This is a truly world-class beer, and I can't believe I can get it for $2.49 a 24-oz bottle!!! The maltiness, hoppiness, and overall greatness of this beer can't be exaggerated. (178 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +20.2%

Not over the top hoppy. though i dont know what "extra" ipa means. otherwise beautifully well rounded. i might just go pour one more tonight. (141 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So different than the typical west coast IPA. So much more balanced. Not the typical grapefruit flavors of most IPA's. Initially sweet & malt forward with a little bitterness at the end. If there were any criticism it would be that this could be a little too sweet. But overall solid and a go to IPA. Easy to drink. I give Sierra Nevada credit for having their own style and not just following the trend of overly bitter and unbalanced IPA's. (442 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a clear, light copper color with a really nice, white, thick head that lingers on and on leaving great lacing down a 16oz pub glass.

Nose is a little weak for me but I do get a little pineyness from some hops. Maybe some earthiness as well just the nose was really weak and hard to make out.

Taste really makes up for the smell. Really bold, hops flavor with pine, and earthy hops taking center stage. I get a little bit of the malts that attempt to balance it out but the hops are just too much for them to counter weigh.

Mouthfeel has a decent fullness to it. Not too much though, it is just about where you want it to be for such a powerful beer.

Overall, this is a good beer just a little too much for my taste. I tend to prefer an IPA that is well balanced or a little to the malty side of balanced. This one is the other side of the spectrum from that. I would buy it again but only if I had the hankering for a screaming dose of hop bitterness. (976 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%

this one is just ok for me. borderline too much bitter for my taste (68 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Format: reasonable 355mL brown bottle with an original and decent label.

Appearance: pours a bright orange-brown in colour with with very sparse visible carbonation. An off-white head froths up to a finger before settling to a thick half-finger. Thin lacing.

Aroma: a fairly moderate aroma of grapefruit and particularly pine hops. Some biscuit malts behind also.

Taste: stronger on the palate than on the nose. A great mix of grapefruit, pine and those biscuit malts. As expected there is some bitterness, but predominantly the hop flavours which is fantastic.

Aftertaste: some sweetness from the citrus hops and a nicely metered out hop bitterness. This really is a damn good IPA.

Mouth feel: medium in body with a moderate carbonation. Still reasonable, but it feels a touch flaccid. I wouldn't mind a touch more carbonation.

Overall: quite a nice AIPA as expected fro Sierra Nevada. Not sure it's worth AU$92 a case, but I'll take a 6-pack every now and then. Very flavour-forward, rather than some AIPAs that just taste of bitterness. (1,045 characters)

Try as I might, I cannot find a beer I prefer to Torpedo.

I'm going to try and keep this succinct, because I could go on forever about my love for this ale. So here are the basic points:

This brew is strong, tastes like a hops orgy, and you can hardly notice the flavor of alcohol. Must I say more? Sure!

This beer is so hoppy that its aftertaste reminds me of Cannabis. By this I mean the hops content is downright skunky, but 110% inoffensive in nature. The flavor is akin to the smell of a large, fresh bag of medical ganja.

I am really amazed at the amount of hops they manage to pack into this fucker without ending up with a bitter, smoothie-like beer. Immensely hoppy as far as aromas and flavors are concerned; sometimes if I've been drinking it and engage in physical activity I can actually smell the hops aroma coming out of my pores.

Carbonation is perfect, bitterness is perfect, strength is a bit stronger than moderate. I can almost not get enough of this beer; after drinking it exclusively for a few months I've gotten mildly burnt out on the flavor, but I'm about ready to go back.

I really don't even know what else to say about this beer, aside from that it is probably my favorite beer I've ever tried and that if you haven't tried it, you ought to now. There are some brews I enjoy thoroughly which I don't really consider a necessity for existence, but this is NOT one of those brews.

***THIS IS A NECESSITY FOR EXISTENCE***. Swear to god. I almost wish nobody had turned me onto it so I wouldn't realize how good beer could really be. Enjoy guys (1,581 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Nothing else to say but great beer! Color is incredible. Smell is mild citrus, mild pine. Taste is completely balanced throught. Not too hoppy but it's there running along side the malts the whole time! Could be an every dayer in the fridge especially with the price point! Perfect for this weather break here in NY today! (322 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a 355 ml bottle (packaged December 16, 2014) into a tulip. Reviewed from notes dated March 7, 2015.

A-The beer is nearly clear with a reddish tinted copper color. There is about one and one-half fingers of very-off-white eggshell colored foam. The head is dense and pillowy with nice lacing and good retention.

S-The aroma is sharp with notes of pine, mint, toast, and a buttery sweetness that exposes this beers age but -- unlike most IPAs -- does not detract from the beer's aroma.

T-The taste is similar. It has that recognizable Sierra Nevada yeast/malt profile with some pine, a little bit of grapefruit, mint, buttered toast, and just the slightest hint of tropical fruit.

M-The feel is medium in body with a bit of oil and hop grit. Very drinkable.

O-This is a great beer. Unlike many IPAs or IIPAs, I could drink two of these without feeling like my palate has been blasted. Yet...the beer is appropriately hoppy and assertive. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for Sierra Nevada, but this is a very, very good beer. (1,026 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: Golden amber with huge lingering fluffy head
Smell: Big grapefuit-like citrus notes and some floral soapy notes.
Taste: lightly sweet maltiness but mostly dry bitter resiny soapy citrus hops. Alcohol flavor is noticeable.
Feel: light to medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: It had been a while since I last had the Torpedo. I was hoping I might come back to it with a more positive opinion, as happened with Bell's Two Hearted (now a favorite), but I think my impression remains mostly unchanged. First the positive - it looks great, smells delicious and I like the fairly dry maltiness (too many oversweet IPAs out there). However the flavors associated with the hops just don't get me very excited, particularly the soapiness. Also, it has a pretty high ABV, which to me should imply more depth of flavor. In any case, I find the Torpedo enjoyable - it just doesn't live up to the hype in my view. I will say, however, that the Celebration Ale remains one of my very favorite beers.

Update 4/26/2015 - A subsequent tasting led me to soften my view of the Torpedo. For whatever reason the things that didn’t sit right with me the first time didn’t stand out as much this time. It seemed a bit maltier this time as well. Generally the hop character isn't as attractive as my favorites, but it's a good standby that is widely available. (1,364 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +10%

3.32/5  rDev -19.2%

Appearance - This ale is a clear, thin bronze in color with little head.

Smell - The hop aroma is light and citrusy. It is potent enough to drown out any sense of a malt backbone.

Taste - The malts step up more at the taste while the hops refuse to retreat. The citrus is strong and there is a stiff pine that I missed at the smell.

Mouthfeel - This is thin. I wouldn't call it light-bodied but it's definitely not medium. The bitterness from the hops is fun and not too harsh for the casual drinker.

Drinkability - I enjoyed this beer in pieces but together I thought it lacked harmony. The sharp hops need a thicker body and a sweeter malt base IMO. (655 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.