1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,222 | Reviews: 2,494 | Show All Ratings:
hopstorm

Indiana

Wow. I read alot about this beer and couldn't wait to try it. Pours a delicious amber color, nice head. Then the smell of piney resiny hops punch you in the nose. Its like putting your nose inside a bag of fresh hops and inhaling as deep as you can go. I can't stop smelling it as I'm drinking it. The only time I set the glass down is as I write this. The taste is just awesome. I am getting more hop flavor out of this than most DIPAs! For a second I thought it WAS a DIPA. The blend of pine, herbs and citrus really all stand out on their own, while complimenting each other at the same time. Perfect. Nice and easy malt backbone to mellow it all out and make it come together. At $8.99/6 pack, this can't be beat. This is why I drink beer! I can't say enough about it. Good lacing all the way down. I am so happy this is available all year round! If you can get it, the do so! If you like hops, this is for you.

01-26-2009 02:01:37 | More by hopstorm
cullenvens

Wisconsin

This is my favorite beer. I thought I should preface this review with that tidbit.

The floral notes are slightly piney. They are countered by happy sweetness. The hops they use for this beer are exceptional and flavorful. I still can't get over the flavor. The second I put this delightful beer to my nose, I swore I was in a hop field in bloom. The mouthfeel is immense. I was overwhelmed. I swished and swallowed and went back for more. One beer was never enough, and I was nearly addicted.

03-16-2009 19:58:08 | More by cullenvens
blackbearywheat

Pours a clear golden amber with a big foamy white head that has excellent retention.

A big citrus hop aroma. Lots of grapefruit and some pine too.

Hops, hops and more hops. Starts with a big grapefruit taste and ends crisp and slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Slightly sticky but there is enough carbonation to make it a very drinkable brew.

One of my favorites!

Everyone who has tryed this one Loves it!!

10-19-2009 01:25:12 | More by blackbearywheat
Tuckstar

Disclaimer:
OK. I drink what I like. I usually choose IPAs. My apologies to Beer Advocate (the greatest website and magazine in the world), but, alas, I'm going to totally manipulate the ratings to reach my own preferred generic, overall rating. Honestly, I don't care about the appearance, smell or mouthfeel. Here's my rating system:

5.0: The BEST
4.0: Hella good
3.0: Decent
2.0: Better than Lone Star
1.0: Worse than Lone Star

(PS. Lone Star gets a bad rep.)

Review:
I love IPAs. Period. This is one of the best.

I lived in Portland for several years. Had I never experienced the perfection that is Terminal Gravity IPA, this would be the best beer ever.

I live in Austin. This is the best beer available. Runner up for the best beer ever. Sierra Nevada is kind of a punk. They hook me on Torpedo, pull it off the market, put it back, pull it off, and now its back. This makes me angry/sad.

Torpedo is ridiculously hoppy and not for the faint of heart. But for the IPA lovers, this is the greatest thing to ever grace your grocery store beer aisle. Dogfish Head 90 Minute is a peer, but ultimately falls slightly below when considering the non-Beer Advocate factors such as availability and price (for the working class beer lovers out there). I have nothing but praise for this beer.

In fact ... yesterday, I was at my local Spec's (the greatest liquor store in the world), when a very large, boisterous and apparently drunk, smelly man ran my wife from the beer aisle while I was shopping for an experimental beer (Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout ... awesome!) and my staple IPA. I'll be damned if, after a hell of a lot of weirdness, I didn't pick up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which led to the deepest Friday evening disappointment in recent history. Fortunately, the Texas game is today, so, at 10am this morning, I returned a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the Torpedo, and I am a happy, happy man. (and Go Longhorns.)

Bottom Line: If you ain't in Portland, Oregon, you won't find a better IPA. Period. Double cheers to Sierra Nevada, bringing good beer to (most of) the world.

12-06-2009 00:17:30 | More by Tuckstar
BEERHEAD001

Wisconsin

This is an awesome brew. I'm a hop head so I really like the way this beer is set up. I have had probably 2 cases of this...just to make sure on the quality assurance. I have also created a recipe that is fairly close to the original. I do think my recipe could use a bit more hops though. I used about 9 ounces in a 10 gallon batch. I'm not a "pureist" to Sierra's recipe, but mine was pretty damn tastey ! Email if you want the recipe.

01-20-2010 02:30:35 | More by BEERHEAD001
cal82

Torpedo Extra IPA is to Sierra Nevada's standard IPA like Willie Mays to a 7-year old tee ball player. They are not even close to being in the same league.

Standard Sierra Nevada is fine when you're someplace when the other choices all end in "lite." However, if you have the option to be discriminating, you should go Torpedo or stay home.

The color is a deep amber, and the foam holds up excellently. The flavor is strong, but not overpowering. This is one of my favorites.

alcohol content 7.2% by volume yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.3 Plato bittering hops Magnum
ending gravity 4.2 Plato
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
bitterness units 65 dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, & Crystal

05-09-2010 01:54:04 | More by cal82
brandoncox

This IPA pours a deep orange color and a nice off-white soapy head that sticks around through the entire session. Great amount of lacing until the last drop.

Very exceptional aroma. Smells like a pine cone dropped right off a tree onto a ground of hops. The most natural smelling IPA I have ever stuck my nose to.

The taste is of pines with an amazing herbal profile.

Mouthfeel is decently thick and follows through with a resonated liquid texture straight down the palate.

I could drink an entire case of these. Just truly an amazing and outstanding IPA worth every penny. Definitely a thirst quencher.

10-12-2010 22:38:41 | More by brandoncox
unclejimbay

1/2/2010 Educated Update...
I flounder once again to decide this is still a very enjoyable IPA but notably a bold piney hopped version. Easily accessible, always a good price, notably bitter, and a well hidden abv. I have decided this is a more pine forward IPA example, especially after brewing a few more citrus oriented homebrewed IPAs at home.

2/9/2010
Okay it's official and my palate is changing, either I am less sesitive to pine, or I have just sold out to Sierra. I officially declare Torpedo to have much more hop citrus aroma and taste than my newb palate could initially handle. I have come around to enjoy Torpedo as my go to hop fix @ 6.99 a six pack. I have found it to have similiar taste as SNPA, but just a bit more body, abv, hops and malt sweetness. Overall I love it, and I would edit my review to now claim it's equally citrus as it is pine on the hop profile. In short, the most accesible, best priced, consistent , and always available IPA in my area. $6.99 on sale, $8.99 most other days. A showcase IPA from a flagship American brewer, hat's off the Sierra for a welcomed suprise new offering.

original 7/16/09 review;
A soild 4.5 across all catergories. Almost a DIPA if you will. This one is a bit to piney for my hop preference, otherwise I would have given it a 5 on taste and drinkability. Regardless... this is a fine example of an extremly intense palate scraper by the talented SN Team!

A 4.5 with a good 2 finger head, excellent head retention, orange/copper/amber in color with a smei hazy clarity.
S 4.5 Bold aroma with hop dominant profile. Some citrus is present but overwhelmed by the 100 decibel pine notes! This one screams pine notes, it's a forest of an extreme compostion of an intensely pine-sapped symphony...
T 4.5 Solid malt backbone is bulldozed by the same momentum of hop aroma... Omptimus Pine duels with some Superior Citrus in this show... which may be exiciting if you like this type of outcome... I mostly prefer citrus to win the duel and prefer pine mostly in my floor cleaners, but this battle is worth showing up to...
MF 4.5 Medium body, high carbo...
D 4.5 see my summary above...

01-12-2011 16:21:42 | More by unclejimbay
JordoBeerlady

Words cannot express how much I love this beer. We are friends. We have shared memories. It is so AGGRESSIVELY HOPPY (something I look for in my "recreational beers"). Citrus. Pine. Hops and more hops. But there is a hint of malt that makes this more than just bitterness. This beer is worth drinking. Fo sho.

03-03-2011 12:22:56 | More by JordoBeerlady
Whitley

Vermont

A beautiful, thick and super tasty brew that really has a great taste and leaves you wanting more of this super tasty gem. Puts you in the zone of feeling great too.

This is what I envision the beers of the Colonial times being like and when beer was something superior to what was mass produced and served in a can (or bottle ) and passed off as good domestic American beer throughout the 20th century.

My .02 cents for what it's worth...enjoy !

04-02-2011 01:24:40 | More by Whitley
travipa

Kentucky

for anyone who wants true and pure ipa, this is it. satisfyingly bitter with just enough smooth mouth to please the discerning palate. have tried
red hook's long hammer ipa, stone's ipa, flying
dog's snake dog ipa, harpoon's ipa, whole food's
four-in-hand ipa....

in the order of preference:

torpedo
four-in-hand
stone ipa
long hammer
harpoon
snake dog

but the ipa that started it all for me was stone's ruination ipa...i can no longer return to
yellow "pissy" beer.

08-31-2011 20:18:03 | More by travipa
xmorgan

I had a chance to attend an event Sierra Nevada did a few years ago at the Bistro in Hayward. Damn fine beer establishment!

They were coming out with Torpedo and a few others.

The Bistro is Hop Beer Hevean and I was having at that time a love affair with Russian River's "Blind Pig" or "Ex-Girl Friend" as I like to call her.

I was not super flavorful of Torpedo. Well tonight I worked late, was out of beer, I stopped at the 7-11, hoping, I might find something other then pissy yellow beer, as I really, really wanted a beer and it was just before midnight.

They had Torpedo.
Well, Sierra, you get another chance.
Apperance: Pours a orangish red color with lots of foamy deliciousness in the head.
smell, at first, the hop aroma is faint, but it is there. Not overwhelming and you have to hunt for it.
Taste: Nice bitter, citrus, piney and MALT balance. It is too drinkable. I am rather glad it is only 7.2% and not 8 or 9 like some bigger IPAs, As this is a lighter body, very, very drinkable beer. I will be coming back for more.

01-05-2012 08:07:13 | More by xmorgan
TonyC

Have to say that this is one of my favorites.

A: Very nice white head. Light amber color with great carbonation.

S: Subtle earthy/citrus hops aroma.

T: Strong hops flavor with a nice citrus touch.

M: Nice mouthfeel with excellent carbonation.

O: Awesome choice for true hops lovers. Flavorful, but still smooth enough to enjoy.

As a home brewer, I do love hops. But, it's easy for some beer companies to just pile on the hops and brag about it. But unless the hops are balanced to work with each other, it is just a waste. Torpedo uses Magnum, Crystal and Citra hops, which work so perfect together. Excellent hop balance!

02-26-2012 00:07:22 | More by TonyC
threeviews

This is a re-review...
Poured from a (12oz bottle..not!) 16oz can with a canned-in date of 2 01 05 A 3 BT into a 22-1/2oz Libbey Citation snifter (embossed with the Dogfish Head logo and slogan)...third review to Beer Advocate's member: Avantyawn and kawilliams81

NOTE: The date coding on the can is not yet defined on their website, but do not think it is the same as the bottle, as the cans arrived to my retailer only days ago. Looking at the bottom of the can, I see 2040709:44. If interpreted correctly, that means that this brew was canned on February 9. 2012 @ 9:44AM.

A- Abosolutely clear amber colour with an enormous, 3+ finger frothy, white head with incredible lacing.

S- Sweet Orange, bitter (white) Grapefruit, and copious amounts of pine pummel the olfactory hues.

T- Malt sweetness is quickly subdued by the hops. Dry, tacky, piney finish is left with you wanting nothing more than another sip.

O- For a year-round offering (especially on the scale of Sierra Nevada), Torpedo is resinous and bitter citrus treat! A stellar brew from a "can do no wrong" brewery. For the price and accessibility, this has become a staple in my 'fridge.' A day is not complete without one of these beers. For me, 4-packs of 16oz cans will populate my cooling vessel until they stop.

BTW- If possible, seek out the 16oz canned offering in opposition to the 12oz bottle.

Serving type: can

03-03-2012 22:47:18 | More by threeviews
espijosh

This is my absolute favorite beer, I am sure with its mass year around release it won't get respect of a Pliny the Elder or what not but I prefer it over any beer in its class. Sierra Nevada loaded a hop flavor in torpedo that is unmatched by anything else, huge aroma's and tastes of fruit and pine. The 7% alcohol tastes like it might as well be 3% as it is completely drowned out by the taste of fresh hops. Some how the beer has very low bitter foreground with a nice bitter finish. Love this beer.

Edit: Looking down a couple reviews will say holds same excellence in the can, and as an avid disc golfer love the light weight and portabillity

04-02-2012 21:22:34 | More by espijosh
bfellows

I was very excited to pick up this old favorite in a can this weekend.
Pours copper with a nice thick offwhite head.
The smell of hops fills the nose upon cracking the can and stays with it until the last sip
Perfect malty backdrop to showcase the choice hops, but hop driven to be sure. Nice lingering bitterness offset by the sweetness that is left by the medium body.
IPA's don't get much better than this.

Serving type: can

04-30-2012 20:29:07 | More by bfellows
MichaelRabdau

I've always been and always will be a Dogfish Head fanatic, especially the Dogfish Head 90 and 60, and the first time I tasted Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, I was taken aback a bit, a little arresting on the palette; but alas, the tides of time have shown favor on these shores, and I have to say, you cannot buy a better beer for the money. This beer F'ing rocks, an amazing buzz that's so ethereal, it's like an hour in a floatation pod...

03-04-2013 22:58:10 | More by MichaelRabdau
Lungman

Alabama

Ok so IPA addict here. I lika the piney. If it wasn't for beautiful hoppy floral awesomeness like this I wouldn't even bother. Amazing beer. Abv hidden impeccably. Just damn perfect. All other ipa should bow to this beast. Pairs well with uhhm...breathing. Mouthfeel is full and creamy like it should be. Nose is like walking through a Christmas tree forest. Leviathian, great divide, snake handler, green flash, all others do not compare. Nice, clean, consistent and refreshing.

05-26-2013 03:52:56 | More by Lungman
bbluemzbeer

This is a world class beer ! It comes down to one word "Quality"

Appearance- An amber color. The head stuck around, about two inche leaving lots of nice lacing.

Smell: Piney, scent, and the malts. Yes - piney, citrus and some malt.

Taste- The flavor is out of thi world! It's a perfect balance of malt and piney some floral/citrus. IT is 50% malts with 50% bitter. It is balance ! I do not like bitter beers but the bitterness is actually , really good. People who do not like bitter beers, this is really a different kind of bitter. It compliments the malts so greatly!

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is medium and awesome.

Overall- An awesome beer ! Tasting this one is euphoric all the way. A must for those with ipa taste! The price is reasonable for this beer in my area.

07-03-2013 15:22:14 | More by bbluemzbeer
KingJason

Oklahoma

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Is that a Rolls-Royce Phantom I just drank, smells like the most kryptonite dank. I'd diss J-Lo for this.

It's like Athena was brewing something to impress me. Is that Brad Pitt drinking it? Perhaps?

Definitely send a six to Prince Will, my man.

10-26-2013 16:58:11 | More by KingJason
gflanders

After a gradual graduation from the "Bud Light" of the early years to the better brewed Yuengling Lager, to the Black and Tan, to the Pale Ale of Sierra Nevada, and the thousands of beers in between, I have settled on this crisp IPA. Everything else now tastes like very sweet Kool Aid. This is a very high quality beer for the price. Having property in NC close to their new brewery is a plus too. By far, my favorite beer after decades of searching.

04-15-2014 04:24:25 | More by gflanders
3en

4.99/5  rDev +20%

crisp, refreshing, bold, subtle grapefruit flavor...one of the best bottled IPA's out there!

04-23-2013 17:30:28 | More by 3en
derbledraught

4.98/5  rDev +19.7%

Great beer, exactly what an IPA should taste like and smell like.

This is my classic go to. Rich hop taste and aroma. Very piney and crisp. Refreshing on the palette, not to thick, or muddy.

Availability is a plus. And for being a larger craft brew, the consistency of the beer is spot on.

07-10-2013 00:38:09 | More by derbledraught
BayerischBier

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

A: nice white head. colored light amber beer with high carbonation

S: rich hoppy aroma; very earthy and piny. Some faint malt and piney hops if I coax it with swirling.

T: surprises with less piney taste than in smell. solid hops taste of earthy hops- --tettnanger/hallertau? -- on top of a welcoming bitterness.

M: Nice mouthfeel

D: Not for beginners! You need to love IPA and bitter beers. Take one and taste it.
IPA lovers will go for more than one; good drinkability

05-09-2010 02:10:06 | More by BayerischBier
Duckmancgy

Alberta (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Bottle poured into a Laughing Dog pint glass.

My buddy gave me his last bottle of Torpedo with the promise that it would change my life, and he may be right.

Pours a gorgeous golden tawny colour with a nice finger to finger and a half of tan head that is lacy when it starts to dissipate.

Smells nicely floury and slightly citrusy, but also hints of sweetness from the malt.

First taste was surprising, it just may be the most balanced IPA I have ever had. Nicely sweet, bitter, acidic, citrus and piny notes, but nothing overpowering anything else.

Feels excellent on the mouth, nicely carbonated just enough to keep your mouth interested.

For a beer at 7.2% I think its dangerously easy to drink!!! No issue for me to go into a number of these in order. Definitely a must buy when I can find it again.

03-12-2011 03:08:16 | More by Duckmancgy
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.