Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,745 | Hads: 10,077

This is a truly world-class beer, and I can't believe I can get it for $2.49 a 24-oz bottle!!! The maltiness, hoppiness, and overall greatness of this beer can't be exaggerated. (178 characters)

This is a world class beer ! It comes down to one word "Quality"

Appearance- An amber color. The head stuck around, about two inche leaving lots of nice lacing.

Smell: Piney, scent, and the malts. Yes - piney, citrus and some malt.

Taste- The flavor is out of thi world! It's a perfect balance of malt and piney some floral/citrus. IT is 50% malts with 50% bitter. It is balance ! I do not like bitter beers but the bitterness is actually , really good. People who do not like bitter beers, this is really a different kind of bitter. It compliments the malts so greatly!

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is medium and awesome.

Overall- An awesome beer ! Tasting this one is euphoric all the way. A must for those with ipa taste! The price is reasonable for this beer in my area. (777 characters)

Words cannot express how much I love this beer. We are friends. We have shared memories. It is so AGGRESSIVELY HOPPY (something I look for in my "recreational beers"). Citrus. Pine. Hops and more hops. But there is a hint of malt that makes this more than just bitterness. This beer is worth drinking. Fo sho. (309 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Is that a Rolls-Royce Phantom I just drank, smells like the most kryptonite dank. I'd diss J-Lo for this.

It's like Athena was brewing something to impress me. Is that Brad Pitt drinking it? Perhaps?

Definitely send a six to Prince Will, my man. (269 characters)

This is an awesome brew. I'm a hop head so I really like the way this beer is set up. I have had probably 2 cases of this...just to make sure on the quality assurance. I have also created a recipe that is fairly close to the original. I do think my recipe could use a bit more hops though. I used about 9 ounces in a 10 gallon batch. I'm not a "pureist" to Sierra's recipe, but mine was pretty damn tastey ! Email if you want the recipe. (437 characters)

I never rate beers. I like to drink them. I drink all the fancy ones people like to call the best beers in the world. KBS, Pliny, etc. This, to me, is the best beer in the world. This has the hops that every IPA strives for. More importantly you don't have to pay 22.99 for a 4 pack if you're lucky to get there at the right time. You don't have to show up on a Tuesday morning and whisper "george the animal steel likes butterscotch crumpets". This beer is $7.99 a sixer at Wegmans. Wegmans isn't exactly known for their bargains. 6 stars. 6 I say! (549 characters)

I was very excited to pick up this old favorite in a can this weekend.
Pours copper with a nice thick offwhite head.
The smell of hops fills the nose upon cracking the can and stays with it until the last sip
Perfect malty backdrop to showcase the choice hops, but hop driven to be sure. Nice lingering bitterness offset by the sweetness that is left by the medium body.
IPA's don't get much better than this. (409 characters)

Definitely my favorite beer right now, and it has been my go to brew for the passed 2 years...absolutely love the piney citrus kick and the decently high percent with the minimal alcohol taste, #1 sierra nevada beer in my book of brews, highly recommended...cheers lol (268 characters)

This IPA pours a deep orange color and a nice off-white soapy head that sticks around through the entire session. Great amount of lacing until the last drop.

Very exceptional aroma. Smells like a pine cone dropped right off a tree onto a ground of hops. The most natural smelling IPA I have ever stuck my nose to.

The taste is of pines with an amazing herbal profile.

Mouthfeel is decently thick and follows through with a resonated liquid texture straight down the palate.

I could drink an entire case of these. Just truly an amazing and outstanding IPA worth every penny. Definitely a thirst quencher. (610 characters)

My favourite IPA. My favourite release from sierra nevada. Absolutely gorgeous. HUGE hop presence. Looks beautiful, smells better and tastes EPIC. I rarely give a perfect score but this...This is the perfect Imperial IPA. I plan on buying this by the case load. Great with food, great by itself, cold, cool or warm, it's great. (327 characters)

Torpedo Extra IPA is to Sierra Nevada's standard IPA like Willie Mays to a 7-year old tee ball player. They are not even close to being in the same league.

Standard Sierra Nevada is fine when you're someplace when the other choices all end in "lite." However, if you have the option to be discriminating, you should go Torpedo or stay home.

The color is a deep amber, and the foam holds up excellently. The flavor is strong, but not overpowering. This is one of my favorites.

alcohol content 7.2% by volume yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.3 Plato bittering hops Magnum
ending gravity 4.2 Plato
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
bitterness units 65 dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, & Crystal (956 characters)

This is my favorite beer. I thought I should preface this review with that tidbit.

The floral notes are slightly piney. They are countered by happy sweetness. The hops they use for this beer are exceptional and flavorful. I still can't get over the flavor. The second I put this delightful beer to my nose, I swore I was in a hop field in bloom. The mouthfeel is immense. I was overwhelmed. I swished and swallowed and went back for more. One beer was never enough, and I was nearly addicted. (493 characters)

A beautiful, thick and super tasty brew that really has a great taste and leaves you wanting more of this super tasty gem. Puts you in the zone of feeling great too.

This is what I envision the beers of the Colonial times being like and when beer was something superior to what was mass produced and served in a can (or bottle ) and passed off as good domestic American beer throughout the 20th century.

My .02 cents for what it's worth...enjoy ! (448 characters)

I had a chance to attend an event Sierra Nevada did a few years ago at the Bistro in Hayward. Damn fine beer establishment!

They were coming out with Torpedo and a few others.

The Bistro is Hop Beer Hevean and I was having at that time a love affair with Russian River's "Blind Pig" or "Ex-Girl Friend" as I like to call her.

I was not super flavorful of Torpedo. Well tonight I worked late, was out of beer, I stopped at the 7-11, hoping, I might find something other then pissy yellow beer, as I really, really wanted a beer and it was just before midnight.

They had Torpedo.
Well, Sierra, you get another chance.
Apperance: Pours a orangish red color with lots of foamy deliciousness in the head.
smell, at first, the hop aroma is faint, but it is there. Not overwhelming and you have to hunt for it.
Taste: Nice bitter, citrus, piney and MALT balance. It is too drinkable. I am rather glad it is only 7.2% and not 8 or 9 like some bigger IPAs, As this is a lighter body, very, very drinkable beer. I will be coming back for more. (1,038 characters)

1/2/2010 Educated Update...
I flounder once again to decide this is still a very enjoyable IPA but notably a bold piney hopped version. Easily accessible, always a good price, notably bitter, and a well hidden abv. I have decided this is a more pine forward IPA example, especially after brewing a few more citrus oriented homebrewed IPAs at home.

2/9/2010
Okay it's official and my palate is changing, either I am less sesitive to pine, or I have just sold out to Sierra. I officially declare Torpedo to have much more hop citrus aroma and taste than my newb palate could initially handle. I have come around to enjoy Torpedo as my go to hop fix @ 6.99 a six pack. I have found it to have similiar taste as SNPA, but just a bit more body, abv, hops and malt sweetness. Overall I love it, and I would edit my review to now claim it's equally citrus as it is pine on the hop profile. In short, the most accesible, best priced, consistent , and always available IPA in my area. $6.99 on sale, $8.99 most other days. A showcase IPA from a flagship American brewer, hat's off the Sierra for a welcomed suprise new offering.

original 7/16/09 review;
A soild 4.5 across all catergories. Almost a DIPA if you will. This one is a bit to piney for my hop preference, otherwise I would have given it a 5 on taste and drinkability. Regardless... this is a fine example of an extremly intense palate scraper by the talented SN Team!

A 4.5 with a good 2 finger head, excellent head retention, orange/copper/amber in color with a smei hazy clarity.
S 4.5 Bold aroma with hop dominant profile. Some citrus is present but overwhelmed by the 100 decibel pine notes! This one screams pine notes, it's a forest of an extreme compostion of an intensely pine-sapped symphony...
T 4.5 Solid malt backbone is bulldozed by the same momentum of hop aroma... Omptimus Pine duels with some Superior Citrus in this show... which may be exiciting if you like this type of outcome... I mostly prefer citrus to win the duel and prefer pine mostly in my floor cleaners, but this battle is worth showing up to...
MF 4.5 Medium body, high carbo...
D 4.5 see my summary above... (2,146 characters)

Pours a clear golden amber with a big foamy white head that has excellent retention.

A big citrus hop aroma. Lots of grapefruit and some pine too.

Hops, hops and more hops. Starts with a big grapefruit taste and ends crisp and slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Slightly sticky but there is enough carbonation to make it a very drinkable brew.

One of my favorites!

Everyone who has tryed this one Loves it!! (423 characters)

This is a re-review...
Poured from a (12oz bottle..not!) 16oz can with a canned-in date of 2 01 05 A 3 BT into a 22-1/2oz Libbey Citation snifter (embossed with the Dogfish Head logo and slogan)...third review to Beer Advocate's member: Avantyawn and kawilliams81

NOTE: The date coding on the can is not yet defined on their website, but do not think it is the same as the bottle, as the cans arrived to my retailer only days ago. Looking at the bottom of the can, I see 2040709:44. If interpreted correctly, that means that this brew was canned on February 9. 2012 @ 9:44AM.

A- Abosolutely clear amber colour with an enormous, 3+ finger frothy, white head with incredible lacing.

S- Sweet Orange, bitter (white) Grapefruit, and copious amounts of pine pummel the olfactory hues.

T- Malt sweetness is quickly subdued by the hops. Dry, tacky, piney finish is left with you wanting nothing more than another sip.

O- For a year-round offering (especially on the scale of Sierra Nevada), Torpedo is resinous and bitter citrus treat! A stellar brew from a "can do no wrong" brewery. For the price and accessibility, this has become a staple in my 'fridge.' A day is not complete without one of these beers. For me, 4-packs of 16oz cans will populate my cooling vessel until they stop.

BTW- If possible, seek out the 16oz canned offering in opposition to the 12oz bottle. (1,371 characters)

I've always been and always will be a Dogfish Head fanatic, especially the Dogfish Head 90 and 60, and the first time I tasted Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, I was taken aback a bit, a little arresting on the palette; but alas, the tides of time have shown favor on these shores, and I have to say, you cannot buy a better beer for the money. This beer F'ing rocks, an amazing buzz that's so ethereal, it's like an hour in a floatation pod... (436 characters)

Sierra Nevada "Torpedo" pours a chill hazed deep golden amber from a 12oz dark brown glass bottle with a pop off top.

Head went to well over 3 fingers before collapsing to a frothy carpet of foam and lacing to the sides of my beer glass.

Nose is a pleasant floral hopes and a damp sweetness for a back. Palate is a most well balanced hop verses malt to deliver one of the most welcomed brews that I have yet to run a cross.

I have been looking for this brew all of my life! (476 characters)

Ok so IPA addict here. I lika the piney. If it wasn't for beautiful hoppy floral awesomeness like this I wouldn't even bother. Amazing beer. Abv hidden impeccably. Just damn perfect. All other ipa should bow to this beast. Pairs well with uhhm...breathing. Mouthfeel is full and creamy like it should be. Nose is like walking through a Christmas tree forest. Leviathian, great divide, snake handler, green flash, all others do not compare. Nice, clean, consistent and refreshing. (479 characters)

This is my absolute favorite beer, I am sure with its mass year around release it won't get respect of a Pliny the Elder or what not but I prefer it over any beer in its class. Sierra Nevada loaded a hop flavor in torpedo that is unmatched by anything else, huge aroma's and tastes of fruit and pine. The 7% alcohol tastes like it might as well be 3% as it is completely drowned out by the taste of fresh hops. Some how the beer has very low bitter foreground with a nice bitter finish. Love this beer.

Edit: Looking down a couple reviews will say holds same excellence in the can, and as an avid disc golfer love the light weight and portabillity (648 characters)

for anyone who wants true and pure ipa, this is it. satisfyingly bitter with just enough smooth mouth to please the discerning palate. have tried
red hook's long hammer ipa, stone's ipa, flying
dog's snake dog ipa, harpoon's ipa, whole food's
four-in-hand ipa....

in the order of preference:

torpedo
four-in-hand
stone ipa
long hammer
harpoon
snake dog

but the ipa that started it all for me was stone's ruination ipa...i can no longer return to
yellow "pissy" beer. (470 characters)

After a gradual graduation from the "Bud Light" of the early years to the better brewed Yuengling Lager, to the Black and Tan, to the Pale Ale of Sierra Nevada, and the thousands of beers in between, I have settled on this crisp IPA. Everything else now tastes like very sweet Kool Aid. This is a very high quality beer for the price. Having property in NC close to their new brewery is a plus too. By far, my favorite beer after decades of searching. (451 characters)

Try as I might, I cannot find a beer I prefer to Torpedo.

I'm going to try and keep this succinct, because I could go on forever about my love for this ale. So here are the basic points:

This brew is strong, tastes like a hops orgy, and you can hardly notice the flavor of alcohol. Must I say more? Sure!

This beer is so hoppy that its aftertaste reminds me of Cannabis. By this I mean the hops content is downright skunky, but 110% inoffensive in nature. The flavor is akin to the smell of a large, fresh bag of medical ganja.

I am really amazed at the amount of hops they manage to pack into this fucker without ending up with a bitter, smoothie-like beer. Immensely hoppy as far as aromas and flavors are concerned; sometimes if I've been drinking it and engage in physical activity I can actually smell the hops aroma coming out of my pores.

Carbonation is perfect, bitterness is perfect, strength is a bit stronger than moderate. I can almost not get enough of this beer; after drinking it exclusively for a few months I've gotten mildly burnt out on the flavor, but I'm about ready to go back.

I really don't even know what else to say about this beer, aside from that it is probably my favorite beer I've ever tried and that if you haven't tried it, you ought to now. There are some brews I enjoy thoroughly which I don't really consider a necessity for existence, but this is NOT one of those brews.

***THIS IS A NECESSITY FOR EXISTENCE***. Swear to god. I almost wish nobody had turned me onto it so I wouldn't realize how good beer could really be. Enjoy guys (1,581 characters)

Disclaimer:
OK. I drink what I like. I usually choose IPAs. My apologies to Beer Advocate (the greatest website and magazine in the world), but, alas, I'm going to totally manipulate the ratings to reach my own preferred generic, overall rating. Honestly, I don't care about the appearance, smell or mouthfeel. Here's my rating system:

5.0: The BEST
4.0: Hella good
3.0: Decent
2.0: Better than Lone Star
1.0: Worse than Lone Star

(PS. Lone Star gets a bad rep.)

Review:
I love IPAs. Period. This is one of the best.

I lived in Portland for several years. Had I never experienced the perfection that is Terminal Gravity IPA, this would be the best beer ever.

I live in Austin. This is the best beer available. Runner up for the best beer ever. Sierra Nevada is kind of a punk. They hook me on Torpedo, pull it off the market, put it back, pull it off, and now its back. This makes me angry/sad.

Torpedo is ridiculously hoppy and not for the faint of heart. But for the IPA lovers, this is the greatest thing to ever grace your grocery store beer aisle. Dogfish Head 90 Minute is a peer, but ultimately falls slightly below when considering the non-Beer Advocate factors such as availability and price (for the working class beer lovers out there). I have nothing but praise for this beer.

In fact ... yesterday, I was at my local Spec's (the greatest liquor store in the world), when a very large, boisterous and apparently drunk, smelly man ran my wife from the beer aisle while I was shopping for an experimental beer (Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout ... awesome!) and my staple IPA. I'll be damned if, after a hell of a lot of weirdness, I didn't pick up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which led to the deepest Friday evening disappointment in recent history. Fortunately, the Texas game is today, so, at 10am this morning, I returned a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for the Torpedo, and I am a happy, happy man. (and Go Longhorns.)

Bottom Line: If you ain't in Portland, Oregon, you won't find a better IPA. Period. Double cheers to Sierra Nevada, bringing good beer to (most of) the world. (2,103 characters)

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.