Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPASierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: GClarkage on 05-12-2006

From the brewery ... Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale is a big American IPA; bold, assertive and full of flavor and aromas highlighting the complex citrus, pine and herbal character of whole-cone American hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,929 | Reviews: 2,815

This is the worst MF beer I have ever tasted.
This is probably what camel piss tastes like.
If you like this beer, there is definitely something wrong with you.
I used this beer in cooking and it's the worst I have EVER encountered.
Yeah, that's it. This beer needs an encounter in outer space and hope it never comes back.

Tastes like pine needles

1.77/5  rDev -57.5%

Honestly, I enjoy IPAs every once in a while, but this one was just way too strong for me. Average white head, smelled strongly of hops, just like the taste.

I can see how those who love IPAs will enjoy this, but for the occasional IPA drinker like me, its a bit overpowering and dry with a very, very strong hop flavor, with an aftertaste that just doesn't go away.

It definitely deserves the "extra IPA" label that appears on the bottom. Gave me a headache after drinking. Will not buy again.

1.81/5  rDev -56.5%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass...
A: cloudy/hazy amber, a finger of head that lasted a couple of drinks, some lacing.
S: citrus, pine forest
T: Wow. Overwhelming bitterness. Just way too much. It's like they're in some sort of arms race on how much hops they can stuff into a beer. And, they've failed. All I can really taste is bitter and it's unpleasant.
M/D: Why bother? Mostly undrinkable.

This was my 2nd bottle out of the 6-pack; I was drinking a 2nd beer to see if it was as bad as my 1st and it was. I have dumped the rest down the sink.

1.88/5  rDev -54.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a pale golden orange with a slightly off white one finger head. It is crystal clear and the head dissipates to a thick and sticky lacing.

Smell: The aroma on this beer is mild for an "Extra" IPA. There are hints of fresh flower stems but also this funny musty wet leaf component. The citrus character is mild with only the slightest hint of spicy orange zest. There is a definite yeasty bread component to round out the aromas.

Taste: The flavors on this beer are shocking. The flavor is dominated by a hot alcoholic apple / warm white wine flavor. This is followed by a stingy hop bitterness but and a lemon rind bitterness like no other (not in a good way either).

Mouthfeel: This beer is too highly carbed and has a weak and thin light body.

Drinkability: No thanks. One is enough and I wouldn't buy this beer again.

Overall Impression: I hope, hope, that this was a poor six pack of beer. I respect Sierra Pale, but this beer is absolutely horrible. The aroma is tolerable, but the flavor is biting and harsh making it unpleasant to drink. I'm not one to pour out a beer, but this one might just be destined for the kitchen sink. It's getting slightly better as it warms, but still nowhere near the quality of beer I could have gotten for nine bucks a six pack. Very disappointed to say the least.

Poured from bottle to Sam Adams glass.

A - Nice and clear amber coloring.

S - Pleasant traditional flowery aroma.

T - Very hoppy. Good taste, but very strong.

M - The feel is smooth. The aftertaste is extremely bitter. Almost soapy. Not a fan.

Summary - I've been trying to expand my beer experiences. One area in particular I've been wanting to explore is IPAs. So far, I've enjoyed Dogfish Head, but not Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. It's simply way too strong with hops and an awfully bitter aftertaste.

passable

2.01/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I fall into the minority of, "Why all the glowing reviews, folks???" for this particular brew. I've been right up there in agreement with the previous BA reviews I've based beer purchases on until this one. This one puzzles me greatly, as it is my first "double-u tee eff" experience with this site. IPA's are my go-to. From regular to hop-tacular, to double, triple, 90, 120-minute, evil, sinister, unforgiven IPA's. Bring on the attacky, hoppy, citrusy aromas. Can't get enough. Unfortunately, SN Torpedo Extra IPA has none of that. I struggle to understand how the term IPA is even associated with this beer. I wanted to love this beer... especially since SN's Pale Ale is so above-average as a mass-produced beer.

The look of this beer is fine. A promising, rich, dark amber, with a respectable head. But anything beyond what my eyes can observe turns negative.

My first reaction to the smell was, "Really?" It immediately brought me back to the overpowering, sickly, yeasty smell of going past the Sleeman brewery as a child. It smells skunky, like a Labatt 50 that's been soaking in the sun too long. Definitely lager-esque. But surely, this is a well-respected IPA, so it must not taste like that.

It tastes like that. Maybe the only positive thing I can say is that it tastes like beer, but not any beer I've tasted. Did I get a bad batch? Maybe it sat for a couple weeks in a hot truck during transit?

The nose has a fun bite and attacks my taste buds alright. However, it is not nearly worth the 5 milliseconds of fun my mouth enjoys until my brain deciphers the flavor and has to endure it for another 10 seconds. Overly yeasty. I keep looking for those bright, piney hops and subtle grapefruit. Nowhere to be found. I hate wasting craft beer, so I finished it. Even gave it another shot today before writing the review.

After drinking my first SN Torpedo, I immediately emailed a fellow IPAer to warn him to steer clear. Unfortunately he'd already experienced this beer, but didn't have the decency to warn me. Oh well -- maybe I can save others the trouble. I know how harsh it sounds, but this is easily the most disappointing beer I've ever bought. Sierra Nevada, I know you can do better.

2.23/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

REALLY soapy mouthfeel. too much pine flavor. not a fan.

2.32/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

After trying the amazing Sierra Nevada Stout, this was a total letdown. Strong lagery yeasty smell, bitter pine cone taste, ugly clumpy head. Worst IPA I've tried.

I won't be coming back to this one, in fact I'll avoid it and stick with English IPAs.

2.36/5  rDev -43.3%

You ever look in the fridge and wonder what beer you wouldn't mind sacrificing for cooking with? I thought it was this one. Mistake. I wouldn't cook with this crap either. Don't get me wrong, its bitter (hence the "Extra" in the name), but since when does Extra translate to unbalanced? Its like the fat kid sitting on the end of the see-saw. Not only that, my pork tastes like a grapefruit rind.

Ah Sierra Nevada, I love you. I just don't love this beer.

2.37/5  rDev -43%

A - thick bubbly head, deep golden brown color, very slight haze.

S - sour grapefruit aroma with modest herbal tones

T - Immediate sharp citrus flavor, borderlines on a sour taste. Transitions to subtle-rosemary like herbal hints and a light toasty malt flavor on the tail. The hop bitterness is there, but the hop flavors are subdued. Overall the flavors don't mix terribly well together. The citrus/sour taste crowds out the other flavors and doesn't leave much of anything to enjoy for the aftertaste.

F - Solid, average carbonation. Warming sensation from 7.2% ABV is present, but not overwhelming.

D - fairly drinkable for an IPA due to subdued hop flavor and medium carbonation, but not much desire to have more than one

Notes: Price was way below other IPAs, now I understand why. Nothing but love for the Sierra Nevada Brewery for it's legendary and outstanding Pale Ale, but they missed the mark on this one.

2.41/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I was very disappointed with this one. It tastes nothing like a "Extra" IPA, more like a severely outdated domestic malt liquor with a couple of hop pellets thrown in. It was almost hard to finish but I stuck it out. It has an almost metalic taste to it. The smell is off and the mouthfeel is just too syrupy. I'm not exactly sure why this has such a high score. I won't be trying this one again, I wouldn't even want to cook with it.

2.42/5  rDev -41.8%

16oz poured into a 20oz shaker

Qutie dissapoitned with the new can.

Not sure what happened with my 16oz 4 pack but this is NOT the same as it comes out of the bottle.

I hope this is a bad batch but i got a STRONG metalic taste out of this beer with little to no hop flavor.

I will give this a try again in the future to reassess. :(

2.42/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I bought this beer because of its high listed BA score it had alongside it.

And I gotta say I was not expecting to almost be disgusted by the first sip.

This is the first beer I can say I hate. I don't get the high scores especially when it tastes like drinking a pine tree. I gave it an hour opened another bottle just in-case something went terribly wrong with the first during bottling but no such "luck"

I am far from a beer aficionado but I've never had a beer I disliked so much I had to sign up on a website just to review it...

2.43/5  rDev -41.6%

Pours a one finger off-white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving some lace. Hazy amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight piney nose. Flavor is piney hops, not finding any malts, finishing with a lingering bitter aftertaste. The 'extra' in the name is only a word - this is just an IPA that's loaded with hops. $1.60 for a 12oz bottle from Beverage Warehouse Winooski, VT.

2.47/5  rDev -40.6%

12 oz in a 16oz pint glass

A: Pours a deep copper with a honey hue. Looks syrupy off the bat. A finger of head that dissipates quickly. Leaves beautiful lacing down the glass

S: Smells of deep piney and syrupy. A touch of sweetness from the malt.

T: uhhhh. not my type. But it smelled so good!!! Harsh and overpowering malt taste with a harsh bitterness of hop. I've never liked Sierra Nevada in taste and this follows the trend. Maybe it's the yeast... Sigh. OK I get a strong citrus before the hard hitting malt that I find borderline aversive.

M: This is really bad mouthfeel. It feels like it stings. Not an alcoholy sting, but almost a bubbly sting. Yet it doesn't appear over-carbonated. Leave a stringent taste in my mouth after each sip. Does not make me want more...

D: There really is no drinkability. I keep putting it back because I am trying to find what everyone is raving about. American IPA is my favorite style and I can drink most all day all night. But this is terrible.

Altogether I think the beer looks and smells terrific. It's a great picture beer to hold in your hand and smell while at a social gathering. I would not recommend sipping the beer though. I had three of these beers out of the six pack and felt sick the next day. Not hungover just sick. Wondering if there is an ingredient SN uses that doesn't get along with me...

2.48/5  rDev -40.4%

A big thanks to woodychandler for this can. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/brownish color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of piney hops. Taste is a hop bomb, extreme bitterness, wow, I like hops but this is the most bitter beer I have ever had. Feels medium bodied and very bitter in the mouth and overall is way to unbalanced for my liking.

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

A - Orangish color in the pint glass with a huge head that overflowed onto the table. Just a bad pour. Bubbles on the head were too big.

S - Get the hops, but get way too much pine resin in this. Kind of unpleasant, is this a new car smell or something?

T - Not good. Tastes like I'm kissing a pine tree, all I get are pine notes and pine with a hoppy bite at the end. Feel like I got lost in a forest in Michigan somewhere and slept in a bunch of pine needles.

M - Crisp and decent carbonation.

D - Can't do it, too piney, and sadly, not pliney.

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

I clearly got a bad beer, purchased in 4-pk 16oz can. No citrus, no nothing....just alcohol.

2.6/5  rDev -37.5%

Live Review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A 1 to 2 inch basic head over a translucent orange brown body. Kind of basic really.

S No surprise here. Lots and lots of bitter hops.

T Nuthin but hops here. From the first taste through well into the aftertaste is the objectionable grapefruit bitterness that I have never liked...in a grapefruit or a beer. It is true to the style for sure.

M Bitter, biting and full for sure.

D I will not likely drink this beer again after this pint.

2.61/5  rDev -37.3%

I drank this from a bottle into a pint.

This beer pours a dark orange with a decent white head, not much lacing.

The aroma is very bitter, lots of hops and pine cone.

The taste is like the aroma but super-charged. Its all pine cone, I feel like I'm a squirrel. The bitter is so overwhelming it makes it hard to drink very much of this.

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

Thanks to BA yelterdow for the hook up on this one.

Served from a 12oz bottle in a SABL glass at just above fridge temperature.

A - Standard Sierra Nevada crystal clear amber-orange with a nice, 1-inch thick off-white head that hangs out for a good minute or two before diminishing to a bubbly film on top of the surface. Lacing comes in sticky, translucent sheets.

S - Big, honey-malt laden west coast hops. More piney than citrusy. Fresh and crisp, with a verdant moistness. Nothing too revolutionary about this nose.

T - Subdued honey-laced malts that fall short of being sweet before the alpha-acid army comes blasting through in the middle and then loiters on the smoldering, twisted and burnt nubs of your taste buds all the way through the grippingly drying swallow. The aftertaste is forcefully astringent; very powdery and green. Like chewing on an aged grapefruit rind. Balance can only be viewed as a hop brick residing on a broken see-saw.

M - Nicely tingling on the tongue, and puffing up to become mouth-filling and frothy. Swallow is creamy and satisfying when the taste isn't factored in.

D - No matter what I do, and no matter what "it's all about the hops" frame of mind I get into that helps me try and cope, I can't get past the rough aftertaste that makes my throat feel like closing up. Once the first swallow goes down, the wicked aftertaste dominates almost every other aspect of this beer from the nose onward. Tasty? Yes, if you're looking for a hop bomb. Balanced? No. Will I be buying this beer for myself? No. There are just too many other APAs out there that are truly enjoyable.

2.69/5  rDev -35.3%

I'll start off by saying that I usually enjoy Sierra Nevada's products. The first time I had a Torpedo I thought it great, the second time (some six months after the first) I really wasn't impressed at all, so I decided to give it a new shot, you never know, could have been a bad batch, right?

Pours a light amber, with a matching light and tight foam that dissipates quickly, leaving alot of lacing on the glass.

This really doesnt smell as good as expected, some stingy citrusy hops, accompanied by a detergent-like smell, from the yeast maybe? slightly reminds me of the weird spice I found in corsendonk christmas ale that I didnt particularily like, other than that there's not much to the nose.

Taste is of the same kind of hoppyness as in the smell, a bit less detergent-like though, but it is all pushed a bit to the side by an astringent bitterness that isn't matched att all by the hop-flavor, the bitterness is reminiscent of green apple-peels. This makes me think this bottle might be too old, but the bottle-dating says it was brewed in the middle of august, shouldn't be all that bad, should it?

Feels alright in the mouth, but the unmotivated bitterness doe sn't really invite to sessioning.

Dissapointed.

2.69/5  rDev -35.3%

poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. A slow pour led to a one finger white head.

The smell is of sweet malt with citrus in the background. I was a little suprised by this, seemed dark for an ipa.

The taste was a little suprising to me. It was pretty sweet and the hops didn't come through as I would have liked. A good amount of bitterness was there, but it was not the smooth bitterness that I was looking for.

Drys the mouth a bit and doesn't go down smooth. I am a huge fan of IPAs but this one missed the mark for me. I was expecting more from SN

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.